• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havok

Just beat witcher 2. This is probably the first game I've ever played where I've thought "man I really hope there's books for this world."

Holy shit that was a fantastic game. Bout to check amazon for some books.
The games are actually based on the books. Super popular Polish fantasy series.

blamite

I equipped it for the first time as I just got it today and I forgot the skin was even there :( The difference is barely even visible, really disappointing.

I want more weapon skin DLC :( Hopefully it comes with new specializations (preferably without perks attached to them) that extend SR beyond 130.

And can the Storm Rifle pleeeeease get a skin I mean the BR and AR have two each because of preorder/LE bonuses meanwhile the LightRifle's only skin is from the H4 console and the SR just gets nothing at all, that hardly seems fair.

Havok

Just saw that, but only saw 3 books in English. I hope looking elsewhere will yield better results.

Thanks bud!
Yeah, the localization situation is pretty spotty (haven't actually read any of them myself). The understanding I have is that the first of the short story compilations was translated, the second one was skipped, and the first Witcher novel has been translated as well with another one on the way soon. It seems like a neat universe, but kind of a hassle to get into for English speakers.
I played Witcher 1 I went around some town talked to people fought some dude, then quit. I think a werewolf killed me too.
Skip it, just play the sequel. The second is pretty different mechanically, not timing-based like the first one is. Maybe read a wiki for the story you're missing, but not required.

----

Halo.

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/how-far-should-you-go-to-win.html

What Should Be Banned? [Boltshot, Camo, etc come to mind. Not to be banned, but to be thought about in this manner.]
How do you propose it be thought about in that manner? Bans themselves are incredibly rare in fighting games, but the circumstances are completely different. I mean there's an argument to be made whether Halo 4 has competitive merit in the first place.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
And can the Storm Rifle pleeeeease get a skin I mean the BR and AR have two each because of preorder/LE bonuses meanwhile the LightRifle's only skin is from the H4 console and the SR just gets nothing at all, that hardly seems fair.
I cosign this entire post.

u4iX

How do you propose it be thought about in that manner? Bans themselves are incredibly rare in fighting games, but the circumstances are completely different. I mean there's an argument to be made whether Halo 4 has competitive merit in the first place.

About what changes the way the game is played to an extreme.

I think it frames the Boltshot as a much bigger problem alone than Camo.

About what changes the way the game is played to an extreme.

I think it frames the Boltshot as a much bigger problem alone than Camo.
I guess I can't really put much experience into it, but it wouldn't really be comparable until the boltshot became the definitive weapon that invalidated every other option. As it is it's annoying, and probably not fun, but I imagine it'll get some nerf in the inevitable sandbox TU anyway.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I always felt like camo should have always worked like "weak camo" does in Reach. That way, it's not effective enough for camping, but will still help some of the more stealthy move throughout the map and not be caught at the corner of people's eyes so easily. In general though, camo (and jet pack) break more than they add.

Omni

I honestly don't see how 343i or Bungie looked at turning INVISIBLE whenever the player wants in a FPS and thought it was balanced and fair. I really don't.

I always felt like camo should have always worked like "weak camo" does in Reach. That way, it's not effective enough for camping, but will still help some of the more stealthy move throughout the map and not be caught at the corner of people's eyes so easily. In general though, camo (and jet pack) break more than they add.

Camo staying an AA even after Reach is a representation of everything wrong with the handling of this game. You can't balance it as an AA; it's intended to be extremely broken.

They need to seriously just scrap the damn thing and make it a powerup, along with PV.

I honestly don't see how 343i or Bungie looked at turning INVISIBLE whenever the player wants in a FPS and thought it was balanced and fair. I really don't.

Agreed.

Why does it even have to be camo? Radar jammer in Halo 3 was fine, why not have it just be a radar jamming ability? Being invisible too is just... ugh. Have camo go back to being a powerup like OS, DB, and SB.

OH SHIT 3 BOX HALO 1 XBC! There's space for two more boxes if anyone's down for some 3v3's ;]

Come get rocked with me on this guy's host <3

-EDIT-

Nevermind, ice skating is no fun.. Why can't this damn game get a sequel?

Released

OH SHIT 3 BOX HALO 1 XBC! There's space for two more boxes if anyone's down for some 3v3's ;]

Come get rocked with me on this guy's host <3

-EDIT-

Nevermind, ice skating is no fun.. Why can't this damn game get a sequel?

Ha, what was your ping?

I never really got used to offhost XBC. I have no clue how some of those guys (Pacmayne, Slim, etc.) got so good at it.

Ha, what was your ping?

I never really got used to offhost XBC. I have no clue how some of those guys (Pacmayne, Slim, etc.) got so good at it.

109-128 lol, and yeh the entire community was pretty good at Halo 1. For some reason I was always way better offhost than I was onhost, granted the host had a great connection. That slight delay felt so right :b

That Pistol... If only it had a rifle skin, Halo might've been a completely different game today.

And since we're on the topic of H1 lemme share a funny pic I stumbled upon while looking through old photos:

tAjvw.jpg

The Ghost was just chillin there, stuck after splattering that dude somehow lol.. I really miss this game. Fun for competitive players and fun for casuals.

I cant stand this fucking game. There is like a million variables.

The framerate is shitty as hell too Exile is unbearable.

Make a better game.

Respawn on Oddball is so dumb. Teams not even close to as good as ours having close to the ball time we do because killing has nothing to do with the game its just where you are and who gets luckier spawns. Its a game of positioning.

Pop

anyone can choose to use it

balanced and fair

That kind of logic should never be used when developing an online fps.

Hey everyone gets a random ordnance drop, some get nades others get overshield, completely balanced and fair.

malfcn

Done for tonight. When I flank someone and throw a sticky at their back and it just bounces off of them..KDR dropping due to bullshit.

Ken

That kind of logic should never be used when developing an online fps.

Hey everyone gets a random ordnance drop, some get nades others get overshield, completely balanced and fair.

i wasn't addressing random ordnance though

:O

Done for tonight. When I flank someone and throw a sticky at their back and it just bounces off of them..KDR dropping due to bullshit.

Thats nothing I threw a sticky right through an enemys body, yea thats right it just warped through them.

Games bad, although I did get tons of sticks tonight.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Is the next map pack supposed to be small? When are we getting smaller Forge maps?

Really hoping 343 made the other map packs in-house.

Halo 1

Halo 2

Halo 3

Reach

Watch each game. In that first video, there is so much metagame going on that far surpasses anything you'll see in the later videos. It cannot be stated enough how much this franchise changed with Halo 2, for better or for worse, but I think these videos are decent representations of how 2v2's are played in each game.

Just look at the pacing of each game.. it seriously felt like a wall hit you with each new release, including Halo 2. Halo 2 just had the good fortune of having phenomenal maps and a revolutionary online network, along with animation cancels (melee when you put the ammo in or press YY) and button combos for competitive play (BXR/double+ shotting were lame, backpack reloading and the double melee of H1 were good button glitches).

And who said the AR wasn't useful in Halo 1? (bottom screen)

rakka

question guys, my bro and his gf's 360 has never gone online. it's the older model, not the new slim one.

plugged a wifi adapter in and was told, as expected, that the system needed an update. it's taken half an hour so far and not even a third of the way through.

this normal? is the update much larger for his xbox because it hasn't gone online before or is it not meant to take long? at this rate it looks like it will take hours and hours

it is the G adapter not the N but our connection is only 10Mbit and i think the G can handle what 50 give or take so it shouldn't matter?

FyreWulff

question guys, my bro and his gf's 360 has never gone online. it's the older model, not the new slim one.

plugged a wifi adapter in and was told, as expected, that the system needed an update. it's taken half an hour so far and not even a third of the way through.

this normal? is the update much larger for his xbox because it hasn't gone online before or is it not meant to take long? at this rate it looks like it will take hours and hours

it is the G adapter not the N but our connection is only 10Mbit and i think the G can handle what 50 give or take so it shouldn't matter?

Sounds like it's the cumulative size of the update. If the adapter didn't work then he's got firmware from like pre- February 2007. That Xbox is catching up on about three dashboard overhauls. I remember the NXE taking forever to dl and then install.

rakka

the adapter does work its just taking a real long time, that's all. but I guess it's simply just downloading all the updates in one go like you said.

FyreWulff

the adapter does work its just taking a real long time, that's all. but I guess it's simply just downloading all the updates in one go like you said.

Wow I totally misread that. It's late. But yeah, if you fall behind on 360 updates it's a bit of a wait to get up to speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom