• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawpgun

The movement augmentation being something standard is something im totally on board with.

Great way to introduce a cool change while making everyone equal.

Arnie

As for the bold, 343 saw how the community reacted to Reach. 343's response was to make a game that only expanded on Reach's problems. I'm not naive but 343 as a company seems pretty ambivalent because they made Halo 4 like Reach despite fan's hate for that game and on top of that they have yet to do anything to actually fix Halo 4 despite the fact that fans are disgruntled and the online population keeps dropping.

They didn't make it like Reach, they saw Reach's problems and acted upon them quite successfully. Bloom? Gone. Movement? Improved. Visuals? Cleaner, just. Unfortunately, in their attempt to carve their own vision for Halo 4 they introduced a series of separate, new problems that could well become as prevalent in fan's dislike for the series as those we saw in Reach.

I've been open and honest from before the game released that I didn't agree with their vision, it didn't excite me, and it didn't make sense to me, but they at least tried something unique (to this particular franchise, not to the genre as a whole), for better or for worse.

As for your final point, I think you're underestimating the amount of time it takes to firstly accumulate all the feedback from each and every portion of the community, extrapolate meaningful data from that, design and work on fixes accordingly, and get it certifiable for Xbox Live. It's not a case of banging out a patch over night because Neogaf doesn't like something, that's for sure.

The movement augmentation being something standard is something im totally on board with.

Great way to introduce a cool change while making everyone equal.

They did discuss and test a double jump during pre-production, but it didn't make the cut for reasons unknown. It mustn't have been as successful in practicality as it appears in theory.

Uh what?

I said that taking the good parts would make a good game....they didn't do that for Halo 4. They should for Halo 5.

And the things that made those games good are subjective. You have wildly differing definitions of Halo. That's my point. You say to take the good things but your good things differ from mine. You're not going to make a successful game with a simplistic outlook that only considers what you like.

I think Halo as a franchise has started spinning too many plates. Feature sets, sandbox items, storytelling methods, community integration and plenty more. Plates will fall. This is more evident now than before. I don't think Halo 4 is a bad game. I think the franchise got bigger than itself, for everyone involved.

I think they maxed out the 360 with their scope for Halo with Reach. The cracks were showing. The writing was on the wall. Adding more to that was an impossible task without drawbacks somewhere.

This is one thing but then you take dev cycles, the market in general, the rise of COD, the expectations of consumers, the length of the series and possible saturation of Halo. Take all of it together and the issues compound upon themselves.

I think making Halo 4 successful to the degree of the series' greats is and was near impossible.

They didn't make it like Reach, they saw Reach's problems and acted upon them quite successfully. Bloom? Gone. Movement? Improved. Visuals? Cleaner, just. Unfortunately, in their attempt to carve their own vision for Halo 4 they introduced a series of separate, new problems that could well become as prevalent in fan's dislike for the series as those we saw in Reach.

I've been open and honest from before the game released that I didn't agree with their vision, it didn't excite me, and it didn't make sense to me, but they at least tried something unique (to this particular franchise, not to the genre as a whole), for better or for worse.

As for your final point, I think you're underestimating the amount of time it takes to firstly accumulate all the feedback from each and every portion of the fans, extrapolate meaningful data from that, design and work on fixes accordingly, and get it certifiable for Xbox Live. It's not a case of banging out a patch over night because Neogaf doesn't like something, that's for sure.

They did change somethings but on the whole Halo 4 is just as big of a mess as Reach was. I don't remember anyone begging for more AAs or Random Weapon drops. They need to go back to what works and see where they can add, improve, and refine things from there.

FyreWulff

Also it sounds pedantic but I do find it irritating that all grenade indicators are the frag symbol in-game. Should have been the symbol of that specific grenade.

It's almost as irritating when I go back to Halo 1 and both the Plasma and Frag make the same sound in the UI :p

Arnie

They did change somethings but on the whole Halo 4 is just as big of a mess as Reach was. I don't remember anyone begging for more AAs or Random Weapon drops. They need to go back to what works and see where they can add, improve, and refine things from there.

I agree, and I voiced this very opinion during the first unveiling of Halo 4 when armour abilities were present. I asked what specific benefit they offer the Halo sandbox from a multiplayer perspective, and got no response.

I think back then I assumed we were going to receive a Vidoc down the line that would explain all this, and 343's thinking on the subject, but that never materialised. This was partly a hangover from experiencing Bungie's level of community engagement over the last decade, something I now realise to be a bit naive.

I'm still keen to hear their thoughts on the matter, though.

One last thing about separating AA's for singleplayer and multi, is that they had the perfect fiction foil to do so. They could've conceivably said that Spartan 2's armour allowed for the armour abilities, but Spartan 4's didn't, for cost purposes, or something.

Tawpgun

As much as the series should go back to its roots... It won't.

Best we can hope for is a playlist or more of no bullshit gameplay.

I've pretty much accepted this. Bungie had core tenants for Halo since they are the creators, 343 is mostly fans, most of whom come from different games with different design philosophies. I think the direction they're taking the series is clear.

Aside from the "classic" playlists, I can also hope the vanilla game isn't as big of a clusterfuck

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's not a price drop, it's just basic supply and demand indicating that consumers do not feel the game is worth $60.

Actually it's neither. It's a rolling promotion with select retailers.

Anyway Merry Christmas gafers, happy holdiays, belated Hannukah, kwanza etc. And whatever that creepy germanic/nordic shit is with the more satanic Father Christmas/sneaky pete or whatever.

Merry Christmas Eve! Looking forward to chipping away at the new set of weeklies and dailies this morning. About to get my purple visor. Hypeeeeee

FyreWulff

Look at this bomba

dnlyql.jpg

That's roughly 4$ USD

TheOddOne

Actually it's neither. It's a rolling promotion with select retailers.

Anyway Merry Christmas gafers, happy holdiays, belated Hannukah, kwanza etc. And whatever that creepy germanic/nordic shit is with the more satanic Father Christmas/sneaky pete or whatever.
225px-What_the_Hell_Is_Kwanza%3F.png

Happy Holidays to all!

Fuchsdh

Also it sounds pedantic but I do find it irritating that all grenade indicators are the frag symbol in-game. Should have been the symbol of that specific grenade.

It's almost as irritating when I go back to Halo 1 and both the Plasma and Frag make the same sound in the UI :p

I think the grenade indicator really is just visual clutter that doesn't help me (is the grenade in front of me, behind me, etc.) I've found the hitmarkers at least useful for grenade throwing--I can chuck a grenade and know if I damaged a player, or if I'm going in blind find out if there's someone camping the corner--for actual gunplay I don't really need it either way.

TCKaos

I swear to god I'm doing my best to like this game and I just can't do it. At the same time, I have almost literally nothing else to turn to that I'm even somewhat interested in on the level that I once was with Halo.

Louis Wu

lol - that's because you don't frequent the places where those people hang out. And when someone cherry-picks something ridiculous from one of those forums and posts it here, you're happy to ridicule it along with everyone else.

Bottom line - it doesn't MATTER that you don't remember anyone begging for the features you don't like, because if you did, you'd dismiss their opinion anyway.

Tunavi

Banned
lol - that's because you don't frequent the places where those people hang out. And when someone cherry-picks something ridiculous from one of those forums and posts it here, you're happy to ridicule it along with everyone else.

Bottom line - it doesn't MATTER that you don't remember anyone begging for the features you don't like, because if you did, you'd dismiss their opinion anyway.
Stop defending this terrible game.

Enfinit

You're opinion is just as valid as anyone else's, however I notice you tend to disagree with a lot of people here. Why post of you're just going to argue with people?

Take, for example, the post I quoted. It's pretty negative, and there's a lot of if's and generalizations about that person - meaning assumptions. If someone were to make so many assumptions about myself, I'd be slightly offended.

Arnie

You're opinion is just as valid as anyone else's, however I notice you tend to disagree with a lot of people here. Why post of you're just going to argue with people?

If everyone had the same opinion this wouldn't be a forum, it'd be a circle jerk. And just because many people believe one thing doesn't make it true, so Wu's perfectly justified in going against the grain.

Louis Wu

Take, for example, the post I quoted. It's pretty negative, and there's a lot of if's and generalizations about that person - meaning assumptions. If someone were to make so many assumptions about myself, I'd be slightly offended.
Can't tell if serious...

Yes, my post was negative. My last few posts have been negative, and all with the same slant - I'm finding that there is so much pigpiling going on, reasonable discussion isn't happening. I come to GAF because there are some pretty serious franchise fans here... and some pretty articulate people. For years, I enjoyed following decent discussions, and friendly banter, all interspersed with tons of easily-harvestable content to share with other parts of the Halo community.

Lately, that's been less true. This place seems more like conservative talk radio than a real community - everyone's got the same talking points, and very few are willing to consider there might be other, equally valid points of view.

GAF's becoming a waste of my time. :( (And yes, before you bother, kyle, I can leave - but that really hurts me more than anyone else.) I guess I just wish we could get back to that easy banter time. :(

Arnie

This thread isn't a circlejerk of hate?

It's certainly more negative than positive, which is natural given how Halo 4 turned out, but there's still room for discussion and debate. More importantly it shouldn't devolve further into telling people to stop participating because they don't agree with a particular opinion.

Quickly, everyone, we must crush all dissenting points of view. It's the only way we can make sure we're right!
If the game was good the community would be much more lively.

Also, when are you going to get tired of making these lazy posts about Halo 4? I mean, I assume eventually you'll get tired of making them, right? It's just a game after all. Make your peace with it and move on.

If the game was good the community would be much more lively.
I have to interject here - I think the game is awesome. Way better than Reach and eased my anxieties about a new captain at the helm.

It's buggy and needs some love but that hasn't stopped me and my old Halo 2 clan buddies for playing it several hours almost daily.

It's certainly more negative than positive, which is natural given how Halo 4 turned out, but there's still room for discussion and debate. More importantly it shouldn't devolve further into telling people to stop participating because they don't agree with a particular opinion.

IMO, it's about 1000% better than Reach, and better than 3 in terms of feel (movement, shooting (sup hit-scan), and melees specifically) if you ask me.

Halo 2 still reigns supreme, but 4 brought back a certain feel to the series for me.

That being said, there's still fucktons wrong with the game, many of which have been echoed several times throughout this thread. Camo is OP (or remove all AAs ), the need for a vanilla (or MLG) playlist again, random ordinance blows, red Xs needed, respawn timers are fucked, maps are bad except for maybe 2 or 3

I still enjoy the game though...partially because before it launched I sorta accepted the fact that this will never be the Halo game I want and that I have to live with it, and so far I have. I've definitely had some rage moments thought with the amount of bullshit I've encountered.

It's not that hard 343i...if you want people to play your game on a serious competitive level...remove luck, insert skill.

Tawpgun

Can't tell if serious...

Yes, my post was negative. My last few posts have been negative, and all with the same slant - I'm finding that there is so much pigpiling going on, reasonable discussion isn't happening. I come to GAF because there are some pretty serious franchise fans here... and some pretty articulate people. For years, I enjoyed following decent discussions, and friendly banter, all interspersed with tons of easily-harvestable content to share with other parts of the Halo community.

Lately, that's been less true. This place seems more like conservative talk radio than a real community - everyone's got the same talking points, and very few are willing to consider there might be other, equally valid points of view.

GAF's becoming a waste of my time. :( (And yes, before you bother, kyle, I can leave - but that really hurts me more than anyone else.) I guess I just wish we could get back to that easy banter time. :(
Nooo don't gooo.

As for the original point, I totally saw some people wanting cool new AA's. Its become part of the sandbox (unfortunately) so people want new and more AA's like they want new and more vehicles and weapons.

As for the random ordnance you're partially right. No one wanted completely random ordnance drops. Anyone who did, to be blunt, was completely wrong. Im all for being open minded but random ordnance in this form was such a bad idea and i can't find anyway to spin it to be good. It says something that when ordnance was announced to be random, people here were disappointed but everyone assumed this meant we would get a warning before the drop, because that at least makes sense.

NOPE. you actually need to grind a specialization for that...

I did hear some people complaining about power weapon whoring. Hell i complained about that shit in Halo 3 before I started realizing how easy it is to time spawns.

But instead of taking the logical route and helping new players locate and know when weapons are spawning(waypoint, giving a warning) they made it so everyone is equally as lost as the new players. Makes NO sense.

Louis Wu

I have to interject here - I think the game is awesome. Way better than Reach and eased my anxieties about a new captain at the helm.

It's buggy and needs some love but that hasn't stopped me and my old Halo 2 clan buddies for playing it several hours almost daily.
This is my biggest problem with it, actually - the amount of love it needs.

I enjoy playing it. I play plenty of it. But some of the decisions 343 made are... hard for me to understand. I'm not even talking about the huge gamechangers, like no one-sided objective games - I'm still wrapping my head around those, and haven't fully decided one way or the other whether I think this is a long-term mistake. I'm talking about tiny things - lots and lots and lots of tiny things. Things like how many buttons I have to press to save the latest film, or to send someone a message. (It's actually easier to go through the guide button to interact with other players, for the most part, than to use the Halo 4 UI.)

And maybe some of the not-so-tiny stuff, like enemy AI in Campaign and Spartan Ops. I was playing the final chapter of Episode 5 a couple of days ago, and I was actually SURPRISED when an elite, a few hundred yards away, jumped out of the way of a rocket I fired at him. (He won't move if I ding him with DMR fire - in fact, he'll remain in place until he falls down dead - but he will actually walk out of the range of splash damage if I fire a rocket at him.)

My reaction to his reaction hit home - and yesterday, it hit home even harder. I played through The Pillar of Autumn on Reach... and was ASTOUNDED by how much harder it is to fight the Covenant in that game. (This was actually a good thing.) It got me thinking about how Halo 4's way of ramping up the difficulty is to simply add more baddies - this, coupled with a scary-bad spawn system on Spartan Ops, says that as long as you don't die, you're fine - but die once, and you'll die a dozen times. In Reach, it's far easier to die that first time... but when you respawn, you're generally given a chance to breathe, and find a new way to approach the problem - it's more about ME and MY ABILITIES than about the system simply overwhelming me.

I actually enjoy Halo 4's campaign - and I have high hopes that the second half of the Spartan Ops season will make me want to jump in again. And for the most part, I can live with the UI, and the problems that pop up are transient annoyances. But when I make a direct comparison to what came before, I have trouble understanding WHY some of the changes have been made, beyond 'to put our own stamp on this game'.

See? It's not all butterflies and roses here. ;) I'm happy to point out the things that don't work for me - I just wish we could discuss them without sinking to 'game sucks, developer sucks, moving on'. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom