• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Do AA's not apply?

When you give everyone an ability equally to use still doesn't mean it can't be game breaking.

except AAs always have the same effect.

random personal ordnance doesn't (always getting different sets of weapons each drop)

Purplemage

Neo Member
I guess I'll buy it now and stream it

http://www.twitch.tv/fyrewulff

edit: Done now. I'd say that game is definitely worth more than they're charging for it

Woah, that shotty looks great! I might actually have to pick this up

Edit: I know there's always a ton of discussion about global ordnance on here and while I totally agree it would be better to have consistent predictable spawns wouldn't that kill the drop recon specialization? And People are always talking about flinch and how it should be removed but if 343 were to change all these different mechanics they'd ruin the use of specializations entirely...which I'm fine with. But we can't honestly expect them to do so, right?

TheOddOne

A couple weeks ago NullPointer posted an excerpt from the Halo 4 strategy guide with some tidbits from an interview with Kevin Franklin on some of the philosophies behind Halo 4 War Games. I took some issues with what Franklin said (3000 words). Still kind of rough, but I don't think I'll have much time to edit, refine, and clean it up with the holidays approaching. Figured I'd go ahead and post it anyway. It gets a little laborious towards the end, I know.
Bookmarked! Will read.

Halo 4 forge enviroments are fucking awful. Whoever designed them should feel bad.

Ravine has horrible configuration of mountains and land.
Impact is just useless and too dark especially once the lighting bug occurs
Erosion has the worst looking pallet iv ever seen in a game coupled again with useless over complicated terrain and terrible lighting.

Seriously.

5 Blank Square environments with unique looking items and and some terrain objects like mountains, hills, large rocks, Trees and themed buildings.

Jungle (can double as forest depending on what terrains objects are placed, Dirt floor)
Snow (simple)
Desert (simple)
Urban (big blank Tarmac/Asphalt surface with buildings in the unreachable distance)
Covenant (hollowed out deck of a covenant ship)

How much harder can it be to do that instead of designing 3 utterly useless maps

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
When you log on to Starcraft 2 you are greeted with a hompage, and on that homepage it's top story right now is MLGs Tourney going on.

When you log into Halo 4 and check the playlists, you'll see that TS Pro is gone.

Halo is dead.

So thats interesting, Infinity CTF is now the top playlist in the playlist menu because of the Virgin competition. Wonder how that will affect its population - I imagine a lot of people will be confused when they click on it expecting it to just be slayer.

Have to say - this Virgin competition is doing nothing for me, I actually enjoyed it more when the playlists were rotating and new stuff was coming out. Extraction and Grifball still havent come up as weekly playlists and if the older games are anything to go by there is far more variety than that in the gametimes. Fiesta is a bad example - but there are absolutely tons of modes they could throw at us as weekly playlists.

Noticed that there is a leaderboard for people who complete the weekly challenge, how does that even work? Is it the first 20 people who complete it or just a random selection of people who complete it?

Louis Wu

lol - I went to see what was freshly archived - was met with a commercial for a minivan.

Twitch.tv - tying content to advertising like never before!

So thats interesting, Infinity CTF is now the top playlist in the playlist menu because of the Virgin competition. Wonder how that will affect its population - I imagine a lot of people will be confused when they click on it expecting it to just be slayer.
It has ALWAYS been at the top of the playlists, population-wise (usually beat out a tiny bit by Infinity BTB). Not sure why you think this is any different...

lol - I went to see what was freshly archived - was met with a commercial for a minivan.

It has ALWAYS been at the top of the playlists, population-wise (usually beat out a tiny bit by Infinity BTB). Not sure why you think this is any different...

He said CTF, the new playlist for the Infinity Challenge.

Fuchsdh

Haha Wu--we played a random matchmade Infinity Slayer game on Solace yesterday. I was kind of playing badly and just mashing 'X' on my AR spawn, but being in the presence of greatness inspired me to try harder. (Sadly the Waypoint app is unresponsive for me.)

As to the eternal "which AA is the worst", I think the argument of jetpack breaking maps is weaker now just because there's not as much set ordnance jetpackers have a hand in grabbing control of. On the other hand, seems like it's not as loud and "LOOK AT ME I'VE GOT A JETPACK" then it was in Reach.

Camo is just aggravating in too many scenarios, especially when combined with the wetworks mod (which undercuts some of the effectiveness of PV at preventing camo camping, etc.)

AAs and I have a funny relationship. I think they ruin a flow that I missed in Halo 2 and 3, but at the same time I find them so useless I don't end up using any of them.

Because its CTF and not Slayer. :p

Will be interesting to see how big a role the positioning on the menu plays when it comes to the population - I imagine initially at least a lot of people will just click 'a' just to get into a match without realising - after people get over that I wonder if CTF will pick up high numbers.

Take the good things from Halo 1 and Halo 2 and make that Halo 5. It is that simple.

Just remake Halo 2 with XBL functionality. And I don't wanna hear any "We don't want to split the community up" bullshit. You're already planning on releasing at least 3 map packs, totaling 9 new maps...you're already doing well enough to split the community.

Kuroyume

Banned
I honestly don't see how 343i or Bungie looked at turning INVISIBLE whenever the player wants in a FPS and thought it was balanced and fair. I really don't.

I don't know how it works in H4 but if it's anything like in Reach it's balanced. Sure there are moments when you may question whether its fair but camo has its drawbacks.

Take the good things from Halo 1 and Halo 2 and make that Halo 5. It is that simple.

Terrible idea. Just remake H2 and put a DMR in there.

The difference between objective and subjective.
9/10 HaloGAFers like those games better than Reach/4.

Just remake Halo 2 with XBL functionality. And I don't wanna hear any "We don't want to split the community up" bullshit. You're already planning on releasing at least 3 map packs, totaling 9 new maps...you're already doing well enough to split the community.

Unfortunately they won't.

FyreWulff

They need to make it a Jumppack already. Jump, then press A again to double jump. Long recharge. Zero hover ability.

I have something else in mind regarding that, but that's the simple version

9/10 HaloGAFers like those games better than Reach/4.

Unfortunately they won't.

9/10 HaloGAFers would like a night with Vica Kersekes more than they'd like Halo Reach/4.

That means jack shit when we are one of many communities and those communities are only a fraction of the playerbase.

"It is that simple" is easily the biggest understatement of the year

I think the vast majority of fans who have been with the series from the start would agree. The casuals don't count because they will play anything that is thrown at them.

Actually, I may be wrong...because they're sure not playing Halo 4 with such a low population.

TheOddOne

At this point asking for remakes of older maps in Halo 4 is foolish. You have to take in account the sandbox changes. It would not feel the same.

Karl2177

9/10 HaloGAFers would like a night with Vica Kersekes more than they'd like Halo Reach/4.

That means jack shit when we are one of many communities and those communities are only a fraction of the playerbase.

I have no idea where you're going with this. 9/10 straight men would like a night with Vica Kerekes.

I think the vast majority of fans who have been with the series from the start would agree. The casuals don't count because they will play anything that is thrown at them.

Actually, I may be wrong...because they're sure not playing Halo 4 with such a low population.

You say that but Bobs said yesterday that all the Halo fans were the ones to stop playing.

Where's your consensus now?

As long as you keep throwing in phrases like "I think" and "I may be wrong", you can safely assume you're in no real position to state absolute facts or 'universal' opinions.

Kuroyume

Banned

You know what? Sometimes you just have to go back to your roots. I'm sure there were people that liked Street Fighter EX but Capcom was smart enough to realize that they should bring the series back to its roots and since then Street Fighter has been revived and has done great for them. Halo Reach and 4 are analogous to Streetfighter EX.

You know what? Sometimes you just have to go back to your roots. I'm sure there were people that liked Street Fighter EX but Capcom was smart enough to realize that they should bring the series back to its roots and since then Street Fighter has been revived and has done great for them. Halo Reach and 4 are analogous to Streetfighter EX.

Why include Halo 2 as the roots? Surely Halo CE would be enough? Why not include the best bits of Halo 3? Why ignore every good thing done to Halo since 2?

Reach a consensus here and tell me the Halo community at large agrees. Go on :p

Arnie

Why include Halo 2 as the roots? Surely Halo CE would be enough? Why not include the best bits of Halo 3? Why ignore every good thing done to Halo since 2?

Reach a consensus here and tell me the Halo community at large agrees. Go on :p

I think pragmatism and a critical eye is needed to examine and cut the fat away from this bloated approximation of Halo we currently have. This is my opinion, but I also believe it's in line with many people's around here, ardent Halo fans who're demoralised about the franchise today, and pessimistic about its future. And that includes people like Ghaleon, who aren't what you'd traditionally describe as 'hardcore', despite being as intensely passionate about the franchise as anyone.

Change is good, I personally loved Halo 3 and still saw it as a great Halo game, but that's because whilst it added and changed and tweaked, it still relied on a core set of principles to guide its 30 seconds of fun, and its metagame, and its values as an experience.

Restoring Halo back to this core doesn't require a 3 shot kill pistol, or health packs, or Hang 'Em High, it requires a mature look at what goes against Halo's core values, and what doesn't.

Again, it isn't about reverting to, or aping one specific game in the series, but evaluating the series as a whole and evolving along a certain path, rather than creating a new one that fans might not agree with.

I personally grow tired of 'I just want Halo 2', or 'remake Halo: CE'. I know there's scope for evolution in Halo, but I think there are principles that you must follow to ensure this, principles I'm not even sure 343 recognise, or at least care for.

You say that but Bobs said yesterday that all the Halo fans were the ones to stop playing.

Where's your consensus now?

As long as you keep throwing in phrases like "I think" and "I may be wrong", you can safely assume you're in no real position to state absolute facts or 'universal' opinions.

The short of it is: Halo 4 is a bad game.

Arnie

The short of it is: Halo 4 is a bad game.

Yes, but I think it's a 'bad game' because of problems with vision, rather than talent. 343 took the game in a certain direction that doesn't marry with where fans wanted it to go, and they did so knowingly under the assumption that their vision was strong enough to convert the disbelievers and win over the old fans, as well as gaining the new.

Put simply this hasn't happened, and the game's been far more destructive to the passionate Halo fan base than Reach ever was, partly, unfortunately, as a cumulative disappointment alongside Reach.

When Frank or David, or whoever, reads the negative reactions from people like Ghaleon, or Shake, you'd have to be massively naive to think they're ambivalent to that, and it'll be interesting to see how the franchise evolves going forwards.

That's as slurpy as I can get whilst still affirming that Halo 4 is in fact, as many here predicted, a major disappointment.

FyreWulff

I've been thinking on it, and while I wouldn't call the additions to Halo universally bad.. it's starting to look kind of obvious that they're running out of buttons. Seriously, I have to sprint with X now because Sprint became an always-present AA. And they defaulted the game to toggle crouch since they moved crouch to a face button on the default scheme.

AA overhaul.

Collapse Jetpack/Thrust/Evade into a central Augmented Movement ability. Pressing A after a jump will make you get a boosted jump in the direction of your jump. If you are jumping straight up, you'll go up. If I'm jumping forward, I'll get boosted forward. This augmentation is telegraphed with a white jetpack-sized device on their back.

Refactor Armor Lock / Hardlight shield into Parry Gauntlets (work with me, here). Choosing this Augmentation will allow you to throw frag grenades back. You have a short window (think melee parries) to do so in. Probably make the frags make a sound once they're in parry radius. You also have to be looking in the direction the frag came from to do it. Telegraphed to other players with enlarged white gauntlet things on their forearms. Sticky grenades cannot be thrown back, but their detonation time is increased to almost Halo 1 length. Someone with this ability will always win a melee clang and can parry swords with any weapon.

Keep Sprint as a base ability, but make it automatic. Running in a direction for 2 seconds activates sprint, and it's always infinite. Put an actual acceleration on it though so you have to get up tp speed.

Redo Camo. Keep the jamming ability. However, make it drain shields as it's being used. Someone firing in Camo will also drain their camo completely, forcing a cooldown. (This is a change I wanted for Reach) This will line up with camo as it's presented in campaign, where camo'd Elites and Brutes have no/very weak shields. Shields also do not recharge while camo is in effect and you cannot cancel it once you've initiated a camo.

This one doesn't need a telegraph since the use of the ability telegraphs that they have it.

Redo Regen Field / Dome of Healing. Make it a true Medic ability. Telegraph with a white front chest piece of some sort. How this would work is you'd press the button to use the AA when near a teammate. We'd then re-use the assassination system to have the medic take a healing canister from Halo : ODST and stick it into the target teammate, which restores their health but leaves both exposed while doing it. The Medic has a limited number of cannisters per 'life' but can resupply at health packs. Generally you are better off letting a medic pick up a health pack than picking it up yourself in this scenario, as they'll get (say) 4 heals per pack instead of 1. Medics are only healed when they resupply. Medics also cannot heal other Medics, explain it as the cannister must be inserted into the chest and the chest thing they're wearing blocks it.

Just some ideas.

Basically if I could be a Medic that'd be the only AA i'd ever use

Change the goalposts again. You said they simply need to take the good bits from the first two games. You said it was that simple.

Uh what?

I said that taking the good parts would make a good game....they didn't do that for Halo 4. They should for Halo 5.

And it is that simple. Don't change things that work well. 343 has no excuse for all of the bugs, the bad UI, the lack of features, AA's, perks, poor playlist management, etc. No excuse. It boggles my mind how people can continue to defend this game.

Arnie

Just some ideas.

Got to head out soon so I'm just going to touch on one, but refining and combining these AAs is the wrong direction to take if people want to recapture the feel of Halo, I can assure you.

Take the parry gauntlets: you throw a grenade at someone, he parries it, you don't get the kill despite your good work at timing and placing the grenade. Someone does the same at you, you don't have the AA selected, you die.

That inconsistency, that undermining of skill, and that uneven playing field is a key contributor to the current state of unrest plaguing the franchise. Advantages should be fought for on the map, and leveraged through map control, at least traditionally. Introducing your ideas, despite how much they make sense on paper, still contradicts one of Halo's core design philosophies, at least how we know and love it.

Kevin Franklin said one of his philosophies is that the better player should always win, and that's one I share, but that doesn't translate to how you, or him view Halo going forwards. Sure, your proposed parry system requires timing and thus skill, but because a percentage of the player base don't have access to the trait it's not necessarily your greater grasp of the game mechanics that afforded you victory, but actually chance and luck in that you selected the correct AA at spawn. A decision that's entirely arbitrary (you had no concrete reason for selecting it, despite an inkling that you'd need it).

On the flip side, if we make the parry ability a stock player trait, then it doesn't contradict Halo's core, it actually benefits it. It increases the skill gap by adding another variable to the determination of a duel, without leveraging fortune or an inherent advantage.

Of course, it's not that simple, Bloom attempted to increase the skill gap, but that did indeed overlap into elements of luck and diminished other game mechanics in the process (combat speed).

Yes, but I think it's a 'bad game' because of problems with vision, rather than talent. 343 took the game in a certain direction that doesn't marry with where fans wanted it to go, and they did so knowingly under the assumption that their vision was strong enough to convert the disbelievers and win over the old fans, as well as gaining the new.

Put simply this hasn't happened, and the game's been far more destructive to the passionate Halo fan base than Reach ever was, partly, unfortunately, as a cumulative disappointment alongside Reach.

When Frank or David, or whoever, reads the negative reactions from people like Ghaleon, or Shake, you'd have to be massively naive to think they're ambivalent to that, and it'll be interesting to see how the franchise evolves going forwards.

That's as slurpy as I can get whilst still affirming that Halo 4 is in fact, as many here predicted, a major disappointment.

Even aside from the vision not being what I wanted, the game is incredibly bugged, especially for a AAA title. Not to mention the fact that many features were cut or actually made less robust that previous games.

I agree that this game has helped kill the community.

As for the bold, 343 saw how the community reacted to Reach. 343's response was to make a game that only expanded on Reach's problems. I'm not naive but 343 as a company seems pretty ambivalent because they made Halo 4 like Reach despite fan's hate for that game and on top of that they have yet to do anything to actually fix Halo 4 despite the fact that fans are disgruntled and the online population keeps dropping.

FyreWulff

Got to head out soon so I'm just going to touch on one, but refining and combining these AAs is the wrong direction to take if people want to recapture the feel of Halo, I can assure you.

Take the parry gauntlets: you throw a grenade at someone, he parries it, you don't get the kill despite your good work at timing and placing the grenade. Someone does the same at you, you don't have the AA selected, you die.

That inconsistency, that undermining of skill, and that uneven playing field is a key contributor to the current state of unrest plaguing the franchise. Advantages should be fought for on the map, and leveraged through map control, at least traditionally. Introducing your ideas, despite how much they make sense on paper, still contradicts one of Halo's core design philosophies, at least how we know and love it.

Kevin Franklin said one of his philosophies is that the better player should always win, and that's one I share, but that doesn't translate to how you, or him view Halo going forwards. Sure, your proposed parry system requires timing and thus skill, but because a percentage of the player base don't have access to the trait it's not necessarily your greater grasp of the game mechanics that afforded you victory, but actually chance and luck in that you selected the correct AA at spawn. A decision that's entirely arbitrary (you had no concrete reason for selecting it, despite an inkling that you'd need it).

On the flip side, if we make the parry ability a stock player trait, then it doesn't contradict Halo's core, it actually benefits it. It increases the skill gap by adding another variable to the determination of a duel, without leveraging fortune or an inherent advantage.

Of course, it's not that simple, Bloom attempted to increase the skill gap, but that did indeed overlap into elements of luck and diminished other game mechanics in the process (combat speed).

I thought about just making the first 3 base abilities but tried to think of how it'd work in Reach's AA system.

If the first 3 were base abilities then we'd have less of a button clusterfuck as well. The grenade throwback would be done with the grenade button, the jump augmentation with the jump button, and sprint with the movement stick. Quick click = zoom, hold click = crouch. Or just take an approach another game used and initiate sprint once you run forward for 2 or 3 seconds. But it's also the reason I specified that you can't throw back stickies. As it stands, there's no real reason to use frags over plasmas because plasmas are deadlier and can stick to people. If frags were set up to be a radius kill and plasmas as the 'precision' kill grenade, there's be an actual reason to use one or the other. Under this system, frags would be better at room clearing but could be thrown back at you. Plasmas can't be thrown back but suck for clearing rooms. Seriously, none of my Halo 4 loadouts have frags in them. It's Plasma 24/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom