• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louis Wu

As for the random ordnance you're partially right. No one wanted completely random ordnance drops. Anyone who did, to be blunt, was completely wrong. Im all for being open minded but random ordnance in this form was such a bad idea and i can't find anyway to spin it to be good. It says something that when ordnance was announced to be random, people here were disappointed but everyone assumed this meant we would get a warning before the drop, because that at least makes sense.
Yeah, I think I saw where they THOUGHT they were going with the concept... I was actually in favor of the idea of moving the ordnance around a bit. (Nothing like a good team setting up in such a way that they can be back at snipe spawn every 3 minutes, and CEMENT that 20-point lead...) The way it ended up working, though, has caused more bad feelings than good, at least in my experience; for the most part, I totally ignore global ordnance, because what falls near me is always a needler or a sticky det (which I suck with), and what falls near the guy who has me in his sights is a binary rifle.

::shrug::

This might still be tweaked at some point in the future - hope springs eternal. ;)

Also, shouldn't you be packing up your sleigh old man?
ARE YOU CALLING ME FAT?

Karl2177

I just wish we could discuss them without sinking to 'game sucks, developer sucks, moving on'. ;)

Yes, yes. It's why lately I've been trying to add a point at the end of all of my posts to a "how could this be remedied?". Then propositions are being made and a potential fix can be made.

TheOddOne

Guess they fixed the disconnect bug! Before after accidental disconnect and then reconnecting the matchmaking screen would still show that you are not connected.

This is my biggest problem with it, actually - the amount of love it needs.

I enjoy playing it. I play plenty of it. But some of the decisions 343 made are... hard for me to understand. I'm not even talking about the huge gamechangers, like no one-sided objective games - I'm still wrapping my head around those, and haven't fully decided one way or the other whether I think this is a long-term mistake. I'm talking about tiny things - lots and lots and lots of tiny things. Things like how many buttons I have to press to save the latest film, or to send someone a message. (It's actually easier to go through the guide button to interact with other players, for the most part, than to use the Halo 4 UI.)

And maybe some of the not-so-tiny stuff, like enemy AI in Campaign and Spartan Ops. I was playing the final chapter of Episode 5 a couple of days ago, and I was actually SURPRISED when an elite, a few hundred yards away, jumped out of the way of a rocket I fired at him. (He won't move if I ding him with DMR fire - in fact, he'll remain in place until he falls down dead - but he will actually walk out of the range of splash damage if I fire a rocket at him.)

My reaction to his reaction hit home - and yesterday, it hit home even harder. I played through The Pillar of Autumn on Reach... and was ASTOUNDED by how much harder it is to fight the Covenant in that game. (This was actually a good thing.) It got me thinking about how Halo 4's way of ramping up the difficulty is to simply add more baddies - this, coupled with a scary-bad spawn system on Spartan Ops, says that as long as you don't die, you're fine - but die once, and you'll die a dozen times. In Reach, it's far easier to die that first time... but when you respawn, you're generally given a chance to breathe, and find a new way to approach the problem - it's more about ME and MY ABILITIES than about the system simply overwhelming me.

I actually enjoy Halo 4's campaign - and I have high hopes that the second half of the Spartan Ops season will make me want to jump in again. And for the most part, I can live with the UI, and the problems that pop up are transient annoyances. But when I make a direct comparison to what came before, I have trouble understanding WHY some of the changes have been made, beyond 'to put our own stamp on this game'.

See? It's not all butterflies and roses here. ;) I'm happy to point out the things that don't work for me - I just wish we could discuss them without sinking to 'game sucks, developer sucks, moving on'. ;)

This excellent post is a great example of why you shouldn't leave us!

Tawpgun

De-didactified my avatar.

Man I wish he had more of a role in the campaign. Wasn't expecting him to spend all day in the goddamn ball.

Louis Wu

This works too well.

Grow out that Beard Wu
Been a little while... but it's been done. :)

tryin_to_be_heckfu.jpg

OverHeat

« generous god »
The game as flaw no doubt about it. But Im enjoying more then Reach at the moment. I loved the campaign ( but wish the AI was better to many time I have seen banshee stuck in a wall :s) MP IS good IMO except for some weapon that are allowed in loadout and for the love of god remove cloaking from the AA ( I have the admit I use it some time, adapt or die but it do not mean its a good idea.) smaller maps would be nice and why dont they put some forge map into MM is a mystery for me.

I still enjoy it, but I get excited to play Reach when I play this game. Primarily the quality of online performance is amazingly better. You can only get instantly killed through walls and around corners with silent boltshots so many times before you want to stop playing Halo 4. Secondly, the structure of Reach is incredibly comfortable, especially for franchise fans. I know when and where every weapon will spawn. I know which enemies will have which weapons at what times and places on the map, as well as which directions they will generally travel. Halo 4 is anything and everything, anytime. This makes maps feel like empty boxes--they have significantly diminished character within gameplay.

I still give Halo 4 a chance every time I play Halo, and I hope they can iron out some of its inconsistencies soon, but my hope and excitement is almost wholly invested now in Destiny.

Tawpgun

Merry Christmas Eve HaloGAF! Hope y'all have a great day.

I was fortunate, the snow truck driver left me a 5 ft berm as an early present! Wish my snowblower worked... RIP low back

Give me your snoooooow

If New England gets shafted again this winter imma be mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom