• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Yes, you should.
Agreed; great show.

I love how a few people called your posting style out, and now you completely changed it.

Tell em how you really feel.

Your so shook.

I'm not trying to shock anyone... I'm not sure what your upset with me about. I'm currently playing COD 4. I am having fun so I thought I would tell HaloGAF. Earlier I said that I played Reach with Juices and Over.

Uncharted 2 is everything that is wrong with the video game industry.
If you say so. Most people seem to like the game.

I'm not trying to shock anyone... I'm not sure what your upset with me about. I'm currently playing COD 4. I am having fun so I thought I would tell HaloGAF. Earlier I said that I played Reach with Juices and Over.

Im not upset. Its just funny to me how when maybe 4 posters commented on your posting style (Overly negative about Halo 4). You straight changed it up and went a whole different route.

Hardly upset, just amused and decided to share my opinion on it.

Carry on.

I think the jetpack one came out great.

iVWCaooiimPSg.png

Don't click the quote. What the fuck illustrator why did you make it like four times normal size

I think I'm going to have a fondness for Reach just because I personally liked the slightly slower tempo to combat (versus "skillgap I wanna demolish five people I catch unawares etc") It felt less rushed. Not having a bunch of stuff on my HUD also helped (versus "why's the HUD blue? I can't see anything!")

It definitely feels a lot "slimmer", if that makes any sense. Still, matchmaking doesn't seem to be all that much better.

And BTB is still plagued with quitters in Reach. I'm not sure why it isn't displaying DNF for those people, but I'm pretty sure I remember being outnumbered 6 or 7 to like 3. That's really not fun in BTB. It makes me appreciate JIP, from this perspective, anyway. Social gametypes like BTB absolutely require it, I'd say. The other one is from the game right afterward in Anniversary Classic, where my team mates almost instantly quit, and I was 4v1 the entire game. Luckily, Beaver Creek is easy to manage with that pistol and 4 completely clueless opponents. Scratch that, Waypoint doesn't seem to want to load any details on that specific game for some reason: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...istory#!/?game=1186341760&section=Competitive Wonderful!

uhmm, care to explain?

Some people feel that if a game has too many cutscenes, talking, or too much linearity, then it is bad, or isn't worthy of being called a video game. Same people complain about The Walking Dead game, or Heavy Rain, for similar reasons. All three are fantastic games, in my opinion. Just goes to show the diversity of the medium, I'd say.

uhmm, care to explain?
It's just another in a long line of highly linear corridor shooting scriptathons of low substance. Is there anything the game does mechanically to set itself above the rest? Just about everyone who has had something good to say about it refers to the bombastic scripted sequences, but eh. So lemme ask you what makes the game so good?

Im not upset. Its just funny to me how when maybe 4 posters commented on your posting style (Overly negative about Halo 4). You straight changed it up and went a whole different route.

Hardly upset, just amused and decided to share my opinion on it.

Carry on.

I go through cycles if you really want to go through my posts. Halo 4 is still bad. I thought I made a post or two about it earlier.

It definitely feels a lot "slimmer", if that makes any sense. Still, matchmaking doesn't seem to be all that much better.

And BTB is still plagued with quitters in Reach. I'm not sure why it isn't displaying DNF for those people, but I'm pretty sure I remember being outnumbered 5 or 6 to like 3. That's really not fun in BTB. It makes me appreciate JIP, from this perspective, anyway. Social gametypes like BTB absolutely require it, I'd say. The other one is from the game right afterward in Anniversary Classic, where my team mates almost instantly quit, and I was 4v1 the entire game. Luckily, Beaver Creek is easy to manage with that pistol and 4 completely clueless opponents. Scratch that, Waypoint doesn't seem to want to load any details on that specific game for some reason: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...istory#!/?game=1186341760&section=Competitive Wonderful!

Some people feel that if a game has too many cutscenes, talking, or too much linearity, then it is bad, or isn't worthy of being called a video game. Same people complain about The Walking Dead game, or Heavy Rain, for similar reasons. All three are fantastic games, in my opinion. Just goes to show the diversity of the medium, I'd say.

People bitch about Join in Progress in H4, but honestly, it's the lesser of two evils compared with quitters in Reach BTB. They should still penalize quitters, but BTB in Reach suffered so much from the quitters (among many other things).

It's just another in a long line of highly linear corridor shooting scriptathons of low substance. Is there anything the game does mechanically to set itself above the rest? Just about everyone who has had something good to say about it refers to the bombastic scripted sequences, but eh. So lemme ask you what makes the game so good?

I honestly enjoyed the cinematic feel of it. People say that it takes away from the game, but I feel they accomplished what they set out for. I knew going into it that it would be linear, with awesome set pieces and a fun story. So yeah, I liked it for what it did, same way I liked SOTC's minimal story telling, or Heavy Rains style. Different flavors. I didn't go in expecting it to have the scale of Halo, or the grit of Gears. So I guess it comes down to enjoying that style of game.

Halo 4 BTB has that Call of Duty feel to it in regards of player count, when your people down, you know someones gonna join. It doesnt really phase you or become a concern. In Reach when people drop out you notice and kinda stay aware of the fact your at a disadvantage.

Bombadil

Banned
uhmm, care to explain?

It's clear that the focus of UC2 is not to be a great game, but a great "cinematic experience."

And since it's received so many GOTY awards and influenced other studios to change their design strategy, it has had a negative ripple effect throughout, duping consumers and developers alike into thinking that a video game needs to follow a tightly controlled, cinematic, linear formula. And even though UC2 is by no means the first game to focus on these elements, its critical success has furthered the potency of this poison. At the end of the day, it's a cheesy, contrived story told through a sequence of cutscenes interspersed between brief moments of braindead gameplay. It didn't raise the bar for what a video game is; instead, it secured the bar in its already low position with masterlocks that won't be undone for years.

Spec Ops: The Line had a better story. Shame about the rest of it, though.

It's clear that the focus of UC2 is not to be a great game, but a great "cinematic experience."

And since it's received so many GOTY awards and influenced other studios to change their design strategy, it has had a negative ripple effect throughout, duping consumers and developers alike into thinking that a video game needs to follow a tightly controlled, cinematic, linear formula. And even though UC2 is by no means the first game to focus on these elements, its critical success has furthered the potency of this poison. At the end of the day, it's a cheesy, contrived story told through a sequence of cutscenes interspersed between brief moments of braindead gameplay. It didn't raise the bar for what a video game is; instead, it secured the bar in its already low position with masterlocks that won't be undone for years.

Spec Ops: The Line had a better story. Shame about the rest of it, though.

And yet, we arrive at your issue; what is a 'game'? That's the issue here. You seem to classify games in your own way, and appear to shun Uncharted because it doesn't follow that model. Walking Dead is a game, right?

That's my point. Does it have to? Honestly, I think I enjoyed Uncharted for very different reasons than it being a mechanically unique game. Something like Portal, or Shadow of the Colossus are great games due to their mechanics, but Uncharted was fun because of the way it told it's story - ie: phenomenal voice-acting, heavy scripting and set-pieces. It is very much linear, and yet it made me feel like Indiana Jones or something the entire way through. Replay value is almost nil for me, but it was by far one of the most solid campaign experiences I've had this generation. There are so many different reasons why a game can be fun, or interesting. Is Minecraft bad because it has crap graphics or a no story? I don't think so, because that's not it's focus. Just like having uber unique and interesting new mechanics is not Uncharted's focus (although one could argue that their scripting and action sequences are second to none at this point). It's not claiming to be what you're asking of it. Different types of games have different strengths. And I think Naughty Dog just like telling fun, interactive stories. They're damn good at it, as cliché as they may be. Once again we see the downside to enveloping all these different experiences under that catch all term, "videogame". A game like Uncharted and a game like Portal are very different things, yet we compare them against each other, why? Well, because we don't have anything better to do, and similarly, we don't have anything better to call them. My 2 cents, anyway. You're obviously free to like or dislike a game based on your own criteria, but don't assume that everyone values the same things that you do - it's an easy trap to fall into.

And yet, we arrive at your issue; what is a 'game'? That's the issue here. You seem to classify games in your own way, and appear to shun Uncharted because it doesn't follow that model. Walking Dead is a game, right?
Walking Dead also weaves its narrative into decisions the player decides, it wraps around its story presentation in something that's a game.

Uncharted is a game that at its core plays nothing special but makes you ignore it because it's going to put you into another big scripted sequence that you have no meaningful input over. The fake tension in most actions in the game like the constant "near misses" just ring so hollow when it's solely there for the presentation and not reinforced by anything mechanical.

That's my point. Does it have to?
It doesn't have to if we can concede that it's an average regular game. It does if we're going to try and define it as a standout. That's the distinction I'm making.

Irish right? God damn your online at some crazy ass times.

Totally Irish but totally in Mexico too. Watching NY Ink in Spanish because the alternate language didn't work. Those voice-overs are committed!

Not that my sleeping pattern would be any different back home. Where abouts are you in Ireland? There are a fair amount of Irish people in here. Gazzawa is abandoning the flag for AusGAF.

Walking Dead also weaves its narrative into decisions the player decides, it wraps around its story presentation in something that's a game.

Uncharted is a game that at its core plays nothing special but makes you ignore it because it's going to put you into another big scripted sequence that you have no meaningful input over. The fake tension in most actions in the game like the constant "near misses" just ring so hollow when it's solely there for the presentation and not reinforced by anything mechanical.

It doesn't have to if we can concede that it's an average regular game. It does if we're going to try and define it as a standout. That's the distinction I'm making.

And the point I'm trying to make is that I felt as though Uncharted 2 did the things it did well better than many other games that did those things, too. It's a fantastic Action game - but you seem to be expecting poetry when it was only built to give you fireworks.

Bombadil

Banned

Whatever games are supposed to be, Uncharted 2 sure as shit is not it.

It may be purely subjective, but I shake my head at anyone who came away from Uncharted 2 with the opinion that it was some amazing experience. It was canned. Of course it was a great experience. It wasn't even my experience. It was the developer's wet dream. They couldn't let me play the game for more than five minutes at a time without wresting control away from me to show me some cool setpiece or trigger another cutscene. Though, doubtless, had they not done that I would have never finished it because the gameplay was nothing special. Shoot that guy over there, turn these stones a little here and if you don't know what to do, just open your journal for the answer that you had no part in finding; we just gave it to you. Here, climb the ladder after Chloe so we can trigger a humorous sexual joke. Oh, and the bad guy's a Russian terrorist. Enjoy Die Hard 5, mofo! We already did it! Oh, and the gimmick in this game is the same as in the first one: a seemingly supernatural experience explained by an environmental stimulus that affected the isolated population over time. Oh, and if you don't like pressing buttons, just go watch Indiana Jones movies because that's what we were going for anyway.

Totally Irish but totally in Mexico too. Watching NY Ink in Spanish because the alternate language didn't work. Those voice-overs are committed!

Not that my sleeping pattern would be any different back home. Where abouts are you in Ireland? There are a fair amount of Irish people in here. Gazzawa is abandoning the flag for AusGAF.

No shit mexico? Im in Tallaght man. Ever been the grand social? Went there tonight for the first time and fuck me, full of weirdo ass hipster motherfuckers.

Haha being normal held me back from pulling in there tonight!!

And the point I'm trying to make is that I felt as though Uncharted 2 did the things it did well better than many other games that did those things, too. It's a fantastic Action game - but you seem to be expecting poetry when it was built to give you fireworks.
I don't expect anything so lofty from games, I like big dumb experiences, but I was expecting it to be good on its game merits and not its presentation merits. I enjoyed Halo so much just because of its freeform nature of how it lets me blow up aliens who breathe fart gas.

I guess what I'm saying is I like games that let me do my own fireworks instead of letting me be a spectator to theirs.

I don't expect anything so lofty from games, I like big dumb experiences, but I was expecting it to be good on its game merits and not its presentation merits. I enjoyed Halo so much just because of its freeform nature of how it lets me blow up aliens who breathe fart gas.

I guess what I'm saying is I like games that let me do my own fireworks instead of letting me be a spectator to theirs.

That's when I play western RPGs and sandbox games. ;)

That's when I play western RPGs and sandbox games. ;)
Linearity isn't an excuse for automation though, Uncharted does shooting and "platforming", but the latter is barely existent on the part of player input; to the point that they make it a feature to simply swipe your finger across the touch screen to do it in the Vita version. There is just no reconciling how much fluff the entire experience of that game is, which is why I'll never understand the high praise. A game that went all out on the Indiana Jones experience and incorporated actual tension within the game design would be incredible, but Uncharted is just not that.

Whatever games are supposed to be, Uncharted 2 sure as shit is not it.

It may be purely subjective, but I shake my head at anyone who came away from Uncharted 2 with the opinion that it was some amazing experience. It was canned. Of course it was a great experience. It wasn't even my experience. It was the developer's wet dream. They couldn't let me play the game for more than five minutes at a time without wresting control away from me to show me some cool setpiece or trigger another cutscene. Though, doubtless, had they not done that I would have never finished it because the gameplay was nothing special. Shoot that guy over there, turn these stones a little here and if you don't know what to do, just open your journal for the answer that you had no part in finding; we just gave it to you. Here, climb the ladder after Chloe so we can trigger a humorous sexual joke. Oh, and the bad guy's a Russian terrorist. Enjoy Die Hard 5, mofo! We already did it! Oh, and the gimmick in this game is the same as in the first one: a seemingly supernatural experience explained by an environmental stimulus that affected the isolated population over time. Oh, and if you don't like pressing buttons, just go watch Indiana Jones movies because that's what we were going for anyway.
I shake my head at people like you who feel the need to go in detail about their subjective experience and opinion. we get it, you don't like Uncharted but please spare us the novel you wrote crying about your sentiments.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hey let's play a game. Who ever goes the longest without mentioning Uncharted wins. Starting now.

I shake my head at people like you who feel the need to go in detail about their subjective experience and opinion. we get it, you don't like Uncharted but please spare us the novel you wrote crying about your sentiments.

You have exactly three posts in any and all of the Halo threads now (the first two in the Halo 4 OT), and you decide to use your first one in the damn thread pointing out something like that? This community is built on detailed criticism. That's not changing anytime soon. It'd be like if I popped in the Black Ops II OT and quoted some random Halo basher trying to point out that they're not allowed to express their opinion.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I wonder what 343 employees are thinking right now. You know, with HaloGAFers actually playing older Halo games instead of just saying they were better.
They are probably freaking the fuck out. In fact there's probably an emergency meeting going on right now. Red phones ringing in employees houses, doors becoming locked down, grown men crying.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TBQH I don't care what 343 is thinking, they need to prove to me they are taking serious considerations about the philosophies behind Halo by doing something about it ASAP. And that begins when they bring back the file browser and promising that it will always be ready at launch from now on. Then we can talk playlists, ordnance, JiP, Forerunner combat roles and more. And then they need to show they have the balls to go back out of some of these holes they've begun digging from a design standpoint, like persistent progression.

When 343 tells us what they're thinking, we get lackluster, info-less bulletins that are ignorant of what everyone is really talking about with regards to the game, whether that be good stuff or bad.

Top Bottom