• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Just played some Halo: Reach solo matchmaking. The population is surprisingly high still. Didn't have any connection issues and went around demolishing kids in BTB and Anniversary Classic. I miss the percussion so much. Reach's intro beat is amazing.

Now to contrast that with some Halo 4 matchmaking, we'll see how it goes.

Fuchsdh

Fun to play, great to look at, but boring characters and a boring story.

I dunno the problem with Uncharted is the same issue I had with Bioshock--the materials seems kind of weird. What I remember most with Bioshock is how the blood and stuff seemed to have the viscosity of jelly. Similar issues with Batman: Arkham Asylum. Maybe it's an Unreal engine look thing or something.

Just played some Halo: Reach solo matchmaking. The population is surprisingly high still. Didn't have any connection issues and went around demolishing kids in BTB and Anniversary Classic. I miss the percussion so much. Reach's intro beat is amazing.

Now to contrast that with some Halo 4 matchmaking, we'll see how it goes.

I think I'm going to have a fondness for Reach just because I personally liked the slightly slower tempo to combat (versus "skillgap I wanna demolish five people I catch unawares etc") It felt less rushed. Not having a bunch of stuff on my HUD also helped (versus "why's the HUD blue? I can't see anything!")

Uncharted 2 is great. The third was good but not as good as the second. Both games were fun to play. Anyone who disagrees with this statement is wrong.
I'd disagree that they're great, I can't say I didn't have fun with them (otherwise I wouldn't have platinum'd the first two games) but they're just such shallow experiences that it's hard for them to stick with me; let alone get on board with their acclaim.

I mean, the shooting's okay, but the only other thing the game has going for it is environment navigation which is made so braindead that it's only there for the spectacle. I just don't care for it. They're definitely not bad games, but it's not special by any means.

I wonder what 343 employees are thinking right now. You know, with HaloGAFers actually playing older Halo games instead of just saying they were better.

probably the same thing bungie thought when people said Halo CE was better than H2, and H2 better than H3, and H3 better than Reach. nothing new.

im not going back to reach though. id rather just play CE or Halo 2 on XBC

I wonder what 343 employees are thinking right now. You know, with HaloGAFers actually playing older Halo games instead of just saying they were better.

If they follow the bioware playbook they're thinking that the fans are just wrong and they just don't understand their vision for the evolution of multiplayer in Halo 4. Blah Blah, we're awsome, you don't get it, blah blah blah....or something like that

Enfinit

If they follow the bioware playbook they're thinking that the fans are just wrong and they just don't understand their vision for the evolution of multiplayer in Halo 4. Blah Blah, we're awsome, you don't get it, blah blah blah....or something like that

Which seems like that's the path they're on. GAF, and apparently the more vocal parts of the community, are the minority. 343i's catering to a voiceless audience.

Omni

probably the same thing bungie thought when people said Halo CE was better than H2, and H2 better than H3, and H3 better than Reach. nothing new.

im not going back to reach though. id rather just play CE or Halo 2 on XBC

I could never get Halo 2 XBC to work. The program would find my Xbox fine, just after that nothing would happen.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
When is the War Games pass going on sale? Like 1200-1600.
laughing-gif-22zppmz.gif

Along with fileshares

Yah, unfortunately. At this point if I can keep my K/D above 2 in a game I'm happy. Winning is secondary if I had to be really honest. I mean, I go for the objective during CTF and whatnot, but I'm not going to complain if I don't get it. There's no incentive to win

Is there an incentive for KDR? @mhi as well I dislike reading these sorts of player mentalities. Forget your personal KDR and go the team win I say. The incentive is to win the game type at hand, simple enough right?

Karl2177

If I may make a request to anyone with Photoshop or Illustrator. What I need are the icons for the Armor Abilities in Halo Reach and Halo 4 in a transparent .png format at least 256x256. All I have right now are 3 really crappy jpegs. I'm looking for something like the following. It would be much appreciated if you could help. :)

i11OeRPj85vvf.jpg
iQV14VpxqFuOy.jpg
iIB4zYEZoxfJZ.jpg

Omni

some lobbies don't work for me, others work really well. try forwarding your ports and going into multiple lobbies. 8602 is the port to forward
Oooh okay. Will try that, thanks.
Is there an incentive for KDR? @mhi as well I dislike reading these sorts of player mentalities. Forget your personal KDR and go the team win I say. The incentive is to win the game type at hand, simple enough right?

Not really. But when you're left with team mates who aren't helping at all, what else is there?

mhi

Why does it always announce that a "TEAMAATE JOINED YOUR TEAM" even when the guy came in for the other team ??!!

Very confusing, should just be turned off.

If I may make a request to anyone with Photoshop or Illustrator. What I need are the icons for the Armor Abilities in Halo Reach and Halo 4 in a transparent .png format at least 256x256. All I have right now are 3 really crappy jpegs. I'm looking for something like the following. It would be much appreciated if you could help. :)

i11OeRPj85vvf.jpg
iQV14VpxqFuOy.jpg
iIB4zYEZoxfJZ.jpg

I actually attempted to trace these with illustrator. They're just so damn small and terrible quality.

Karl2177

I actually attempted to trace these with illustrator. They're just so damn small and terrible quality.

looooooooooool I should probably rephrase it. I need some one with a capture card to get the pictures. Then I need someone with Photoshop/Illustrator to get them png-ified.

There's never been one in any Halo. There was an achievement in Halo 3, though.

Halo: Reach: bungie.net medal.

Toa TAK

Banned
I went and played some Anniversary today. Classic music with the new visuals. Still fun after all these years. The Silent Cartographer is such a great level and I don't think I'll ever get bored of driving all the way out to the water.

I went and played some Anniversary today. Classic music with the new visuals. Still fun after all these years. The Silent Cartographer is such a great level and I don't think I'll ever get bored of driving all the way out to the water.
That actually blew my mind back in the day, when every other game would make you fear water I decided to drive into it in CE to test my limitations. You could just keep going and going until you hit an invisible wall, and there was nothing the game did to stop you from just staying down there. It was empowering in a weird way; I am Master Chief, I bow to no water.

i11OeRPj85vvf.jpg
iQV14VpxqFuOy.jpg
iIB4zYEZoxfJZ.jpg

I think the jetpack one came out great.

iVWCaooiimPSg.png

Implying that 'going back to the previous installment' is anything new in this series. Bungie dealt with it, now 343 is. Comes with the territory

I think the jetpack one came out great.

http://i.minus.com/iVWCaooiimPSg.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

I just noticed the jetpack in the original and yours isn't vertically centered in the circle. That's annoying...

rakka

I find randy to be way worse in 4 than in any other Halo, but that could just be my selective memory talking.

no, youre right. instant respawn and global sprint means bad players go even more negative than they ever could in previous halos. they die, hit x, sprint to where the action is, die, repeat.

pretty hilarious if you're playing against a team like this, sucks fucking hard when you have a team like this.

personal ordnance also creates more of a steamroller effect than static power weapon spawns ever did. especially when I join a game where a team is getting obliterated, partly due to their lack of skill, and stupidly so, also due to the "better" team just camping one area of a map, power weapons dropping at their feet over and over again. that said, global ordnance could drop an incineration cannon and rockets closer to where players on the losing team are. in short, a clusterfuck. frustrating for both less skilled players AND skilled players.

Toa TAK

Banned
That actually blew my mind back in the day, when every other game would make you fear water I decided to drive into it in CE to test my limitations. You could just keep going and going until you hit an invisible wall, and there was nothing the game did to stop you from just staying down there. It was empowering in a weird way; I am Master Chief, I bow to no water.

The sandbox in CE is, for me gameplay-wise, what made it king in my eye. I ended up getting spoiled by that because I expected the same from other video games (as CE was my first).

COD 4 is so good.
Yes it is!

malfcn

There is strange stuff happening like headshots not registering and triple melees needed to down people tonight.

no, youre right. instant respawn and global sprint means bad players go even more negative than they ever could in previous halos. they die, hit x, sprint to where the action is, die, repeat.

pretty hilarious if you're playing against a team like this, sucks fucking hard when you have a team like this.

personal ordnance also creates more of a steamroller effect than static power weapon spawns ever did. especially when I join a game where a team is getting obliterated, partly due to their lack of skill, and stupidly so, also due to the "better" team just camping one area of a map, power weapons dropping at their feet over and over again. that said, global ordnance could drop an incineration cannon and rockets closer to where players on the losing team are. in short, a clusterfuck. frustrating for both less skilled players AND skilled players.

Would you say the new system vs old has drastically decreased spawn killing though?

Both bungie and 343i have been trying to remove that from the sandbox for the masses and default Halo. I agree about the random choices though, I like GO and PO but would prefer set tiered choices throughout a match. Only for Infinity types though. Prefer other types without PO.

Edit-
More developer features cut and communication perspective, Starcraft II apologises and a free name change offer

Edit2-
Reddit co-founder dead at 26

I remember picking up both COD4 and Halo 3 at around the same time. I wanted to get the P90 but realized it was a later unlock and was getting annoyed about it after each game played, so I sold it off never touched another fish game again and kept to Halo 3. Having to be wary of every corpse thanks to martyrdom just sealed the deal.

Top Bottom