• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Fuchsdh

I was going to post this in regards to Uncharted and CoD's 'bad' influence on the industry. First off, CoD 4 and Uncharted 2 did what they set out to do very well, arguably better than any game that preceded them. People blaming them for games changing as a result of their success is rdiculous. You don't blame CoD because Halo 4 has perks and kill streaks. You don't blame Uncharted because the new Lara Croft is more cinematic. You blame developers who go, "wow, that game did that and made money so if we do that we make money too derp derp." Games since have not done it better, they've merely attempted to glue those features onto their games, which fails. Halo, for 5 years, stayed away from the CoD trend for the most part. That was because the developers knew they could be confident enough in their own product that they didn't need to shoehorn in needless features. The reason I feel the new additions hurt Halo, was because to me it was the developers lacking confidence in their own product, and turning to features that are well known in the industry.

Killzone 3 tried to be more like Uncharted with frequent cutscenes and funny banter, but it ruined that game. That is not Naughty Dogs fault, that is GGs fault for not having the balls to realize that their game could succeed without that.

Hope that makes sense.

I've hated every Killzone game I've played. That is all.

I've never really payed much attention to the boltshot, but I started picking some up yesterday, and good Lord this weapon is powerful. I may be lttp, but giving the user any leeway in firing time was a mistake. Just make it so it always fires in the exact same period of time. And fix the audio glitches, please!

Dirtbag

Halo 5 looks set to benefit from new hardware resources, 343i Anniversary & Halo 4 production as well as larger open environments, next generation AI and more. Personally I hope 343i/MS pull a Halo 2 Bungie/XBL and go nuts with introducing core XBL services for the next generation e.g. rendering services, new premium XBL services for dedicated servers or host consoles and delivering features like spectator mode, streaming with commentary, potentially minimising coop input latency etc

Give me a fucking break! Every game is going to benefit from new hardware resources.
This isn't some selling point, and there is no proof 343 is even capable of next generation AI.
Not since the Halo 2 brutes have we seen more rudimentary AI, and this is even after they had access to the entire engine Bungie built.

Guess what, next generation they'll have to build everything from the ground up for new hardware without Bungie's engine to start with.
Just because it has a halo exterior, doesn't mean its automatically going to be a winner.

What audio glitches? the nades are actually designed to sound like a penny being thrown at metal window blinds.

I know I've been guilty of it but we should all agree not to quote Ozzy...it results in too much derailment.

Yeah, although they definitely messed with the eyes a little too much. Asian Nathan Drake should have been an unlockable multiplayer character. lol

Speaking of Naughty Dog, The Last of Us looks amazing. Hopefully it delivers.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about that one too. Between that and Bioshock, this spring will be good.

AF Jon

Neo Member
I'm sure someone has mentioned this before, but I learned if you don't complete the final part of the last QTE in campaign (where punching the bomb detonates it, whereas crashing a jet doesn't), it just resets the cutscene. There isn't even any sort of failure cinematic.

Even for a lazy endgame sequence, that's pretty lethargic.

I've never really payed much attention to the boltshot, but I started picking some up yesterday, and good Lord this weapon is powerful. I may be lttp, but giving the user any leeway in firing time was a mistake. Just make it so it always fires in the exact same period of time. And fix the audio glitches, please!

I don't even know if that would help much. I think after it starts charging up making you be locked into the animation (no weapon switching/cancelling) might help prevent the constant camping.

darthbob

What audio glitches? the nades are actually designed to sound like a penny being thrown at metal window blinds.

I know I've been guilty of it but we should all agree not to quote Ozzy...it results in too much derailment.

Since I've got him on ignore, I'd appreciate the cessation of quoting.

Moa

I'm sure someone has mentioned this before, but I learned if you don't complete the final part of the last QTE in campaign (where punching the bomb detonates it, whereas crashing a jet doesn't), it just resets the cutscene. There isn't even any sort of failure cinematic.

Even for a lazy endgame sequence, that's pretty lethargic.

If you don't
stick the Pulse grenade to the Didact, he'll throw you off the edge

I waited a few minutes for the final quick time event of detonating the nuke and nothing seemed to happen :/

Site Owner posted on my page.
"I made a web-based screenshot extractor for Halo 4 screenshot :D

Instructions:

- Save your screenshots to a USB drive on your Xbox. - Start up Horizon or Modio. - Locate and extract the screenshot save files, they will be labeled as savegames or something similar, and will have the same name you gave them in-game. - Upload the screenshot save file below. - Get the image from the tab that opens."
http://www.armorwatcher.tk/haloarmor.php?page=experimental

Site Owner posted on my page.
"I made a web-based screenshot extractor for Halo 4 screenshot :D

Instructions:

- Save your screenshots to a USB drive on your Xbox. - Start up Horizon or Modio. - Locate and extract the screenshot save files, they will be labeled as savegames or something similar, and will have the same name you gave them in-game. - Upload the screenshot save file below. - Get the image from the tab that opens."
http://www.armorwatcher.tk/haloarmor.php?page=experimental

Yeah I don't see what he did?

Edit: Ohh he made the screenshot tool web based. Ehh nice I suppose kind of redundant of you ask me since it's really 6 and two 3's.

343i should have fixed this along time ago

Bombadil

Banned
I shake my head at people like you who feel the need to go in detail about their subjective experience and opinion. we get it, you don't like Uncharted but please spare us the novel you wrote crying about your sentiments.

Sltpoison asked me to elaborate on my earlier post and I did. You shake your head at people who give details? That's amusing. Do you shake your head at professors who explain theorems and historical events, as well? Are you like that cop on Dragnet? "Just the facts, ma'm."

Also, telling people that they're crying when they make a critical post is very immature. Instead of trying to label me a baby, why don't you offer counterpoints to my post that actually address what I wrote. And lastly, my experience with Uncharted 2 wasn't really subjective because Uncharted 2 doesn't allow people to have subjective experiences. We've pretty much experienced the same exact game. Every single time that Drake jumped and grabbed on to an overhanging protrusion in a wall, only to shout "shit! shit! shit!" as it began to give way was exactly the same for all of us.

My criticism of Uncharted 2 isn't that it's a bad game, but that it isn't a game at all.

Edit: And since this is a Halo 4 thread, I'll say that I think the developers of Halo 4 were also swayed by the overall trend of the industry in entering a cinematic phase for video game development. Levels were narrower, the emphasis on cutscenes was much greater, and while playing it I was always aware that my actions were leading up to another cutscene. I never felt that way while playing Halo 2 and 3. Granted, they still had cutscenes. Halo 2 had 2 hours worth, I think. But with Halo 2, I didn't feel like my actions were for nothing.

As a side note, Halo 4 has a lot of button terminals that I had to press. Far too many.

I'm not really looking forward to new Spartan Ops, but I am looking forward to Forge Playlist, Griffball and Doubles.. Heres hoping that at least Doubles will stay with us for a while.. as for the Forge maps, Im not expecting anything great, but at least it will get some variety.

Now they just need to get rid of their random ordinance system, add theater to SpOps and SP, make a classic settings playlist and bring back 1-sided objective. Yup, thats it! :lol

On a sort of related note, I just found out Greg Bear did a Jurassic Park comic arc kinda recently:
CD1hT.jpg
I totally have to read this, but if Halo Cryptum and Primordiom taught me anything I imagine most of it is spent aimlessly walking around Nublar while not seeing dinosaurs.

Tawpgun

My criticism of Uncharted 2 isn't that it's a bad game, but that it isn't a game at all.
Havent played it but I hate this statement.

Sure, some people prefer emergent gameplay and less cinematics, but it's a different type of game. Take Walking Dead for example. They could have made it an fps or something but instead they went for a cinematic storytelling experience that was amazing

I for one would love an Ozzy and kylej podcast. Or HaloGAF radio.

"Hey guys, Ozzy here, and we're here to have a classy discussion about everyone's favorite franchise: Halo. With me here is Mike D. Blain, colloquially known as kylej. Kyle?"

"deez nuts. halo 4 stinks"

"Did you really just--oh, wow. *laughs* Alright, buddy. I think we can do better than that. We're going to be taking the high road in this here podcast, so do me a favor and keep the outbursts to a minimum, alright pal? I don't want to have to call the cops or write a letter to the federal government about this."

"whatever dude. brb"

"Wha-where are you going? We just started. Is this really the impression you want to leave with the entire internet? They're going to be ashamed."

"yo i got a guest olly"

*Brings in Holly Michaels*

*nasal laugh* "Please, kyle, we both know you're mispronouncing my name on purpose. It's simple, really. Say it with me. 'Ozzy-Onya-A-2-Z.' See what I've done there? It's clever, really, much like Halo 4's vivid writing--the phonetic 'A-2-Z' really means--"

"Is it illegal if I fuck her with the mics on? I mean it's my place right?"

"I... what?"

VOICEOVER BY U4IX: "HEY HALO INTERNET THIS IS U4IX, AND WE'RE CALLING INTERMISSION TO BRING YOU A TIPS AND TRICKS GUIDE ON HOW TO USE THE BOLTSHOT'S UNLIMITED AMMO GLITCH AS OF TITLE UPDATE 2, STAY TUNED"

VOICEOVER BY U4IX: "HEY HALO INTERNET THIS IS U4IX, AND WE'RE CALLING INTERMISSION TO BRING YOU A TIPS AND TRICKS GUIDE ON HOW TO USE THE BOLTSHOT'S UNLIMITED AMMO GLITCH AS OF TITLE UPDATE 2, STAY TUNED"

You bastard, just made me nostalgia hard with that track. I love what was done with CE: A's soundtrack.

Yeah I don't see what he did?

Edit: Ohh he made the screenshot tool web based. Ehh nice I suppose kind of redundant of you ask me since it's really 6 and two 3's.

343i should have fixed this along time ago

Nice.

kylej

Banned
if I screwed holly michaels live on mic it would be the most entertaining piece of halogaf radio ever. unfortunately the bit would only last about 15 seconds.

Computer

Just started a team regicide 4 players against me never got any help. What is wrong with this game? I understand jip is to fill quitters in a game but why the hell do games have to start uneven?

Bombadil

Banned
Havent played it but I hate this statement.

Sure, some people prefer emergent gameplay and less cinematics, but it's a different type of game. Take Walking Dead for example. They could have made it an fps or something but instead they went for a cinematic storytelling experience that was amazing

Go play it, then.

Enfinit

Hey 343, please consolidate Reach's playlists, get rid of the vanilla Team Slayer list, and bring back Squad Slayer but make it 4v4.

Remember back when the Reach TU came out, and we all had a ton of faith in 343? Feels like a long time ago.

Wasn't a playlist consolidation/TU supposedly coming to Halo 3 and Reach alongside Halo 4's release? I could've sworn I heard that somewhere.

Wasn't a playlist consolidation/TU supposedly coming to Halo 3 and Reach alongside Halo 4's release? I could've sworn I heard that somewhere.
That was the plan, but obviously they've busy with other things and have delayed it indefinitely while they focus on Halo 4.

I believe Over asked on Twitter and either bsangel or the official HaloWaypoint twitter responded.

Enfinit

That was the plan, but obviously they've busy with other things and have delayed it indefinitely while they focus on Halo 4.

I believe Over asked on Twitter and either bsangel or the official HaloWaypoint twitter responded.

That's what I was expecting. Still disappointing.

Overdoziz

Banned
Someone's gotta repair the damage Shishka has done to Halo 3. I don't understand why Team Rockets, Team Duals, Team Swords, FFA Swords, FFA Hammerzeit, FFA KotH with 30 second random hills, Team Splockets, AR starts on big maps, AR starts in ranked and AR starts in general are still things that actually exist in Halo 3 matchmaking outside of Action Sack.

Moa

Someone's gotta repair the damage Shishka has done to Halo 3. I don't understand why Team Rockets, Team Duals, Team Swords, FFA Swords, FFA Hammerzeit, FFA KotH with 30 second random hills, Team Splockets, AR starts on big maps, AR starts in ranked and AR starts in general are still things that actually exist in Halo 3 matchmaking outside of Action Sack.

WDTrj.png

Support for past Halo games has always been absolutely non-existent, short of shutting off Halo 2. Its just inexcusable in my opinion. Consolidate your stuff, man...

Trying to whip up a rough playlist consolidation and include Halo 4's gametypes + the good ones it doesn't have like three plots. What gametypes has Doubles traditionally used?

Tawpgun

Got an email from Virgin gaming. The War Games Finals for the Infinity Tournament are live.

I'm in Tier 2.

Get on my level scrubs.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Cool, Cyren's back. :)

"Hey guys, Ozzy here, and we're here to have a classy discussion about everyone's favorite franchise: Halo. With me here is Mike D. Blain, colloquially known as kylej. Kyle?"

"deez nuts. halo 4 stinks"

"Did you really just--oh, wow. *laughs* Alright, buddy. I think we can do better than that. We're going to be taking the high road in this here podcast, so do me a favor and keep the outbursts to a minimum, alright pal? I don't want to have to call the cops or write a letter to the federal government about this."

"whatever dude. brb"

"Wha-where are you going? We just started. Is this really the impression you want to leave with the entire internet? They're going to be ashamed."

"yo i got a guest olly"

*Brings in Holly Michaels*

*nasal laugh* "Please, kyle, we both know you're mispronouncing my name on purpose. It's simple, really. Say it with me. 'Ozzy-Onya-A-2-Z.' See what I've done there? It's clever, really, much like Halo 4's vivid writing--the phonetic 'A-2-Z' really means--"

"Is it illegal if I fuck her with the mics on? I mean it's my place right?"

"I... what?"

I doubted you for a moment, but this was pretty good.

Top Bottom