• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

TheOddOne

I don't think there will be a Halo launch title, but I do think they will show some form of tease and the game release the year (or two) after.

Overdoziz

Banned
Yep. Barring a couple of other things, when you're playing Firefight, all that's being networked is your buttons. The decisions the AI makes are predetermined by a seed number shared between the consoles so that the Elite will always choose to dodge to the right of your shot on all 4 Xboxes in the session or the Grunt will always decide to throw a grenade when you walk 5 five in front of it.

To massively simplify it, what happens in Firefight is when you press A to jump, you're telling the 3 other Xboxes to press A for your character at the same time. Once they've acknowledged this, you'll jump on your own box.
Still can't believe they spent so many resources on a mode for online co-op which has never worked well in Halo.

Can't wait for Durango unveiling with Halo launch title.

Durango With Halo 2:Anniversary shipping on the HDD of every console.

Glitches Fixed
Networking Updated
All DLC + H2V exclusive maps with new maps and increased customization
Firefight

Iv got a buddy who has an uncle who knows someone at microsoft who spoke to some guy called Eliis O'Connor who works ate 314 Enterprise and confirmed all this.

Believe

I love new consoles. Wii U is literally the only major console launch I have sat out.

New consoles are quite sexy and irresistible, except for the Wii U at launch. Decided to have my gf get me one for xmas since I didn't really have a "list" lol - Now when the next Smash/Zelda come out in 10 years I won't have to buy one myself :B

NintendoLand is seriously a blast if you ever have people around. Get one for the studio! You can thank me later <3

Can't wait!

s3OvM7u.gif

This might be one of the sexiest gifs I've ever seen posted in these threads..

Karl2177

Fyrewulff has been saying this a lot. I hesitate to believe him because I can't see it being a good idea.

Well Microsoft has what for exclusives? Halo, Gears, Forza... And all but Gears released a title last year. MS somewhat set a precedent for themselves with CEA. H2A is the only thing I see being possible in terms of Halo, and even then I question the amount of polish such a thing would have. They're gonna have to put out something that separates them from the PS3 now that CoD has overthrown Halo as the all-round online king.

FyreWulff

Still can't believe they spent so many resources on a mode for online co-op which has never worked well in Halo.

Probably why they just dropped campaign matchmaking from Halo 4. Weird to think that's only been in a single Halo title now, even though 4 of them have Live campaign co-op (3, ODST, Reach, 4)

I'll tell you what, Saber really put some heart into mangling Halo 1 into supporting it. It didn't quite make it, but it was quite an effort, considering Halo 1's AI was not deterministic.

Insaniac

Forge World sucked, plain and simple. The only two flat areas had either terrible lighting issues or terrible framerate issues, or both.

All I wanted was a flat space so I didn't have to waste so much forgemoney on building a frakking floor. Reach couldn't deliver that, and H4 couldn't pull it off either.

Hear, hear!

Forgeworld was fantastic for making interesting large scale maps that weren't conventional team slayer etc maps.

just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it wasn't a fantastic idea, it gave map makers options

Forgeworld was fantastic for making interesting large scale maps that weren't conventional team slayer etc maps.

just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it wasn't a fantastic idea, it gave map makers options

What?

It had horrible frame rate issues because of its size. It had so much unusable space and virtually nothing in terms of large flat ground.

Its "environments" where useless. The Spire sucked. The middle island sucked. The tunnel was too dark and unusable the Colosseum was really the only decent location and that was a medium-large empty room.

If they wanted to create a map based on multiplayer environments then they did a mediocre job and failed miserable when it came to appearance of the objects.

FyreWulff

rareware-myspace.png
IP

375 million dollars

could have alternated Halo / Perfect Dark / Gears as their shooter stable and keep them on 3 year cycles

could have had a platformer franchise in Banjo, and an M rated general franchise in Conker, and a Zelda-style franchise with their canceled adventure/RPG game

NOPE

Rare is just Microsoft Systems Development UK now.

Insaniac

What?

It had horrible frame rate issues because of its size. It had so much unusable space and virtually nothing in terms of large flat ground.

Its "environments" where useless. The Spire sucked. The middle island sucked. The tunnel was too dark and unusable the Colosseum was really the only decent location and that was a medium-large empty room.

If they wanted to create a map based on multiplayer environments then they did a mediocre job and failed miserable when it came to appearance of the objects.

Perhaps the original forgeworld wasn't extremely ideal, but the idea of forge world, a large dynamic space to create maps is a good idea. Also, just because some people aren't creative enough to make maps unless its on a "flat floor" doesn't meant there weren't other decent locations to forge.

more OPTIONS is never a bad thing. Its just a shame that Reach never gave map makers some more basic maps to forge too.

Yep. Barring a couple of other things, when you're playing Firefight, all that's being networked is your buttons. The decisions the AI makes are predetermined by a seed number shared between the consoles so that the Elite will always choose to dodge to the right of your shot on all 4 Xboxes in the session or the Grunt will always decide to throw a grenade when you walk 5 five in front of it.

To massively simplify it, what happens in Firefight is when you press A to jump, you're telling the 3 other Xboxes to press A for your character at the same time. Once they've acknowledged this, you'll jump on your own box.

It was a Spartan Ops joke. :lol

Ghazi

Goddammit everybody hates PC Halo. Halo: CE PC was amazing (better than console because of how much you could mod it), Halo 2V was meh but I'd still rather play it on PC. Imagine a Halo with Halo 4+ graphics, it would be amazing.

Alas poor PC Halo, I knew him well.

Goddammit everybody hates PC Halo. Halo: CE PC was amazing (better than console because of how much you could mod it), Halo 2V was meh but I'd still rather play it on PC. Imagine a Halo with Halo 4+ graphics, it would be amazing.

Alas poor PC Halo, I knew him well.

Absolutely. And using the pistol with a Mouse/Keyboard was like... orgasmic. Click-click-click. Ohhhhh, yeah. It also had a shit ton of maps and a bunch of great players, many of whom might never have been compelled to play a Halo title if it didn't come out on PC.

It's really a shame that so few people still play it. For me, it's not even a nostalgia thing, I just find that older games tend to be a lot more fun to play and they make me feel more rewarded when I actually get kills (Unreal Tournament/Quake, Counter-Strike, Halo).

Karl2177

Absolutely. And using the pistol with a Mouse/Keyboard was like... orgasmic. Click-click-click. Ohhhhh, yeah. It also had a shit ton of maps and a bunch of great players, many of whom might never have been compelled to play a Halo title if it didn't come out on PC.

It's really a shame that so few people still play it. For me, it's not even a nostalgia thing, I just find that older games tend to be a lot more fun to play and they make me feel more rewarded when I actually get kills (Unreal Tournament/Quake, Counter-Strike, Halo).

Generally I use those mouse clicks to find better things that are orgasmic. But whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The best thing about Halo 4 was the opening and ending cinematic. I'm grateful for those two things. Everything else needs to be redone.

Top Bottom