• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Have good firefight maps, with a firefight mode. Use the firefight environments in spartan ops as "defend this area" missions.

There you go.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Have good firefight maps, with a firefight mode. Use the firefight environments in spartan ops as "defend this area" missions.

There you go.

If anything just take the Spartan Ops maps and add in waves. Or use the MP maps. Keep the Spartan Ops format and just re-purpose some maps to use for waves of enemies.

Fracas

#fuckonami
If Spartan Ops is going to continue, it needs some big changes imo.

-No campaign spaces, all original maps (I know this is asking a lot, but it's worth it)
-Instead of set enemy spawns, do something similar to Left 4 Dead's director system. The types of enemies, how many, where they spawn/etc are determined by randomness and what equipment you have. IIRC Left 4 Dead 2 actually has some different pathways each time you play.
-Finite lives. May as well keep custom loadouts
-Instead of 5 small missions, make it 1, comparable to campaign level size. Include quality in-game cutscenes in addition to a weekly CG clip. Maybe it's just me, but a 5 minute mission feels off.
-Mix up objectives. Button pressing followed by killing hundreds of waypoint-marked enemies got tiring after the first level.

If it's going to be marketed as a high quality "second campaign", give it the attention and resources of one.

CyReN

I didnt mind it as much as flinch. You can still control your aimer and not have it shaken around out of your control.

are you honestly disputing people who love halo? come on man we only know the game inside and out and have played it up to a decade now.

;)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm torn between scope out and flinch. I hated scope out with a burning passion, but flinch aggravates me too. There has to be some middle ground.

Can anyone help me out, where did 343 say that thing about raising the amount of credits given in challenges because they want more SR 130's before CSR releases?

Overdoziz

Banned
I don't understand why Spartan Ops doesn't just use the campaign co-op respawn system. You only respawn on teammates who are safe and if you all die you go back a checkpoint. Bam.

I'm torn between scope out and flinch. I hated scope out with a burning passion, but flinch aggravates me too. There has to be some middle ground.

I think in Halo, battles are ruined with Flinch, then you finally get the perk to remove it and then it becomes super easy to snipe with...

I think scope out was annoying too but it worked for Halo, and you really could fight back sometimes and rescope and knock them out and win so it was like a bit of a controllable skill.

Where flinch is a bit more unpredictable so you're technically not supposed to fight against it, although that too is possible, instead you are just supposed to bail from the battle and recalibrate.

Plus its something in Halo that didnt really need a change...

Thats all I'll say about that.

Spawns in Halo have never been good. But whatever they did to make changes wasn't for the better - Haven is a mess at times when it really shouldn't be given its size.

I think it's definitely as bad as I thought it was going to be. Auto pickup and the waypoint being the worst of all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=E95PeZ0qsLY#t=40s

These types of trailers are here to draw excitement. I'd think Rockstar is the most well known for this, but everybody does it.

Man, if you think spawns in Halo are bad I hope you never played COD.

Agreed. But we always get the "something, something, resources, polished" answer to those questions.

Nah, lets just add a bunch of half implemented things rather than polishing one thing.

Who played Reach FF outside of farming credits?

Ghaleon, and Squidhands, and...

Ghaleon, and Squidhands...
You're not wrong.

I wish they would have fixed Versus so the Elite player couldn't troll the Spartans by killing the other Covies. That would have been a lot more fun to play online than the stupid FRG-fest that Bungie allowed Firefight to devolve into.

Ultimately, I think Spartan Ops was a step in the right direction in terms of evolving Firefight, but the implementation so far hasn't been the best. It's starting to pick up, but variety needs to be the mantra for the mode beyond just locales. Different types of missions that have nothing to do with pressing a button need to happen.

- A mission where you have to rescue people and physically bring them back to an extraction point. Provide some options for said extraction. Do you go in guns blazing with a big vehicle, or do you choose the equipment to tiptoe in, tiptoe out? Provide more options beyond respawning vehicles for backup in case your initial mission style goes south

or​

- More of a Firefight style mission where your transport gets shot down in a hot zone and you only have what can be salvaged to hold down your position until rescue arrives. Have it in a populated area where your secondary goal is the prevention of civilian casualties. Or hell, make that the primary goal, with the crashed transport as the hub around which you can explore/defend parts of the city.

crap like that would be nice.

robot

I haven't played multiplayer since early December, but where did King of the Hill go? I did a quick search and apparently the only way to play is through the new map pack?

EDIT: n/m, found the answer

I'm sure few here care, but today the MLG forums were transferred to GB and it's just... blah.

It's a shame since I've been visiting those forums since 2005 and I guess I've sort of become attached to it. Oh, well. HaloGAF and The Halo Council will do more than suffice.

I never found getting knocked out of scope annoying. It felt balanced to me.

100% this. Plus, I always thought it looked cool as fuck when you got shot out of scope and still landed your shot with a sniper.

Forge World sucked, plain and simple. The only two flat areas had either terrible lighting issues or terrible framerate issues, or both.

All I wanted was a flat space so I didn't have to waste so much forgemoney on building a frakking floor. Reach couldn't deliver that, and H4 couldn't pull it off either.

So its agreed, flinch will be removed in the next TU and all future Halo's.

Here here.
Hear, hear!

"Bandwidth" aside, I feel like there's no issue in having Firefight and Spartan Ops. Traditional multiplayer suite for PvP, Spartan Ops for the TV spinoff to Campaign's big budget movie while allowing for some crazier scenarios or experiments, and Firefight + Versus for the wave-based holdouts. Not to mention you can pool assets for Firefight straight out of multiplayer, campaign and Spartan Ops!

Flood in Firefight would be fucking horrifying too. If you didn't rely on Promethean weapons they'd just start reanimating everything you killed last round.

My ideal suite would be something like:

Start Campaign
Main Menu
Waypoint
File Browser
Marketplace

Main Menu:
Campaign
Spartan Ops
Firefight
War Games (Multiplayer)
Forge
Theater

Yeah, I hate custom games too.

I kid

Shit.

Start Campaign
Main Menu
Waypoint
File Browser
Marketplace

Campaign
Spartan Ops
Firefight
Matchmaking
Custom Games
6th Section, unknown name (Engineering / Intel / etc etc)

Campaign: Typical stuff.

Spartan Ops: You know the drill.

Firefight: Same as always.

Matchmaking: Playlists! Much more limited, Halo 4-style.

Custom Games:
-Browse... (works similar to Halo PC, search filters, etc. Also allows for downloading of maps and gametypes currently being used on servers - integrated with File Browser, all sorts of options)
-Create Custom Game
-Join Custom Game (Activates browser, displays friends only. Servers friends are hosting followed by servers friends are in.)

6th Section:
-Forge
-Cartographer (Terrain editor to create maps which can then be modified with lighter structures, cover, weapons, and so on. Community Cartographers could earn a title in-game called Master Builder.
-Theater, available for all modes

And do me a favor and streamline the fuck out of the start menu too.

Havok

Looks like the Covenant vehicle superbounce bug is still in. Striker ran into a rock and flew at lightspeed into the big Ragnarok wall.

Halo.

CyReN

I'm sure few here care, but today the MLG forums were transferred to GB and it's just... blah.

It's a shame since I've been visiting those forums since 2005 and I guess I've sort of become attached to it. Oh, well. HaloGAF and The Halo Council will do more than suffice.

MLG killed off what was left.

----
speaking of flinch

0urmjLy.jpg

I never found getting knocked out of scope annoying. It felt balanced to me.

Same. I always found it natural. Maybe because that's because Halo has always been knock out rather then flinch, but knocking out of scope feels more balanced and natural.

Flinch is even more unbalanced when you consider that some users have a perk that makes them flinch so much less than you.

"Bandwidth" aside, I feel like there's no issue in having Firefight and Spartan Ops. Traditional multiplayer suite for PvP, Spartan Ops for the TV spinoff to Campaign's big budget movie while allowing for some crazier scenarios or experiments, and Firefight + Versus for the wave-based holdouts. Not to mention you can pool assets for Firefight straight out of multiplayer, campaign and Spartan Ops!

Flood in Firefight would be fucking horrifying too. If you didn't rely on Promethean weapons they'd just start reanimating everything you killed last round.

My ideal suite would be something like:

Start Campaign
Main Menu
Waypoint
File Browser
Marketplace

Main Menu:
Campaign
Spartan Ops
Firefight
War Games (Multiplayer)
Forge
Theater

Oh man, that would be great as long as the Flood aren't silly like in the multiplayer mode, and more varied like in previous campaigns.

--

Flinch sucks. Stability makes Sniping OP. I didn't really like de-scoping, but the current implementation of Flinch just doesn't feel any better, and for the most part it feels worse. I think de-scoping is a necessary evil.

Tawpgun

Same. I always found it natural. Maybe because that's because Halo has always been knock out rather then flinch, but knocking out of scope feels more balanced and natural.

Flinch is even more unbalanced when you consider that some users have a perk that makes them flinch so much less than you.

Welcome to modern FPS design. Gotta follow dem industry trends I suppose.

If we get The Last Precursor involved, can we make the flood stronger with some bullshit excuse? Make them Spartan-level enemies. Infecting hunters, using weapons but also flying around the map with space parkour and impaling teammates, stuff like that.

That also gives us a reason to have Didact pull out all the stops, have the Librarian use a mutation on him to make him good again, and revive an army of OG Prometheans and have one of the most potentially amazing fights in game history.

Didact will teach Chief how to Chaos Dunk.

ADDENDUM: Why the fuck are some of the Promethean weapons so uninspired? They're using hard light as a fucking munition source and they're still doing regular gun things! Get creative! Seriously, I want ultraviolet hardlight snipers that work like x-ray laser beams that only hit bone meaning they ignore shields, gamma hardlight mortars that completely obliterate the landscape, Metroid Prime-style "dark energy" weapons that absorb all the light around them as a weapon, shit like that! 343's weapon sandbox designer needs to drop acid sometime.

If we get The Last Precursor involved, can we make the flood stronger with some bullshit excuse? Make them Spartan-level enemies. Infecting hunters, using weapons but also flying around the map with space parkour and impaling teammates, stuff like that.

That also gives us a reason to have Didact pull out all the stops, have the Librarian use a mutation on him to make him good again, and revive an army of OG Prometheans and have one of the most potentially amazing fights in game history.

And Halo finally has my permission to die.

Primordium spoiler:
Isn't the Last Precursor/Primordial/Gravemind/whateverthefuck killed by the Didact?

I don't like the idea of making this trilogy about saving the universe from the Flood again. They can play a part, sure, but really? Again? As far as I know, isn't the Flood just some tool created by the Precursors "extra-galactically"? I remember it being described as a sort of dust that Ancient Humans discovered on some remote planet that they would spread on their dogs to make them "better" in some fashion. Let's see some more of those tools.

Havok

Hopefully the TU fixes the flag getting stuck in the environment all the time. Getting screwed out of a cap because the top of the flag magnetized into the ceiling seriously sucks.

Tawpgun

Primordium spoiler:
Isn't the Last Precursor/Primordial/Gravemind/whateverthefuck killed by the Didact?

I don't like the idea of making this trilogy about saving the universe from the Flood again. They can play a part, sure, but really? Again? As far as I know, isn't the Flood just some tool created by the Precursors "extra-galactically"? I remember it being described as a sort of dust that Ancient Humans discovered on some remote planet that they would spread on their dogs to make them "better" in some fashion. Let's see some more of those tools.

I think it should be about Humans vs Forerunners and that entire dynamic. But having precursor involvement somehow would be very interesting.

I suppose we'll see.

Halo CE left us with

-COVENANT BAD, HATE HUMANITY
-FLOOD BAD, EAT EVERYTHING
-HALOS WILL KILL US ALL

and then Halo 2 just expanded upon EVERYTHING. Perhaps Halo 5 will do the same. I'm hoping with the added power of next gen we're not limited to a 6 hour campaign...

Ghazi

Hopefully the TU fixes the flag getting stuck in the environment all the time. Getting screwed out of a cap because the top of the flag magnetized into the ceiling seriously sucks.
Huh? When does that happen? I haven't encountered it when capping flags yet.

ADDENDUM: Why the fuck are some of the Promethean weapons so uninspired? They're using hard light as a fucking munition source and they're still doing regular gun things! Get creative! Seriously, I want ultraviolet hardlight snipers that work like x-ray laser beams that only hit bone meaning they ignore shields, gamma hardlight mortars that completely obliterate the landscape, Metroid Prime-style "dark energy" weapons that absorb all the light around them as a weapon, shit like that! 343's weapon sandbox designer needs to drop acid sometime.

You, sir, are a true visionary. Keep going.

Ghazi

So I was playing Halo 2 last night and the server I had joined was CTF on Lockout with spawn snipers, it was terrible. The remake in Halo 4 doesn't do it justice either.

Huh? When does that happen? I haven't encountered it when capping flags yet.

Happens enough to be a problem. What usually happens is when the player holding the flag dies mid jump, the flag will go flying. If the flag touches a ceiling or wall in a certain way, it just sticks there until the time runs out.

So I was playing Halo 2 last night and the server I had joined was CTF on Lockout with spawn snipers, it was terrible. The remake in Halo 4 doesn't do it justice either.

I think it's mostly fine. It's just when paired up with Infinity Fiesta Slayer that it becomes stupid. Gentlemen's Slayer would probably be fine on it in Halo 4, same with SWAT if those damn instant respawns were turned off.

Top Bottom