• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Those of you halo 2 downers haven't given any good explanations towards why you think the campaign is the worst.

Was its Overall Story? Weapons/Vehicles Sandbox? Campaign Level Designs? What??

I don't think it's the worst by any means. I think all of the Halo campaigns are great (Reach was the most lacking, but still good).

I do have complaints about Halo 2 though. Imagine just playing CE, maps that are open-world and it feels your own adventure, and a new world to explore was a plus. Now play Halo 2, which is still the most linear in the series. Most of the game was a hallway and the walls were painted differently.

The Halo 2 story, sandbox, and everything was on par (except the ending). The mission design wasn't bad or anything, it was just disappointing to what I grew used too. Basically, if Halo 2's campaign wasn't a sequel to CE, I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

Madness

Those of you halo 2 downers haven't given any good explanations towards why you think the campaign is the worst.

Was its Overall Story? Weapons/Vehicles Sandbox? Campaign Level Designs? What??

I love Halo 2, perhaps the best and most fun I had with any multiplayer game in a long time, but the campaign was a let down for me. I judge games by how they make me feel, how they play.

Halo 2's campaign left me pissed at the end. Be Master Chief, fight on High Charity etc. One of the shortest levels, and you leave Cortana and then it switches to Arbiter etc. You could tell the game was slightly rushed.

Compare it with Reach. Some would dislike the campaign, but no one can say it didn't end well. I'll compare halo 2 to mass effect 3. The ending pretty much ruins the excitement. It's like eating a bowl of soup, the best soup you've ever had. You drink all the way until the end and then you see there is a turd at the bottom. Now no matter how good the soup was, your mind stays on the turd, and it ruins what you thought the soup tasted like.

Poor analogy I know. If I had to rank campaigns, and this primarily on how I was left feeling, my mindset, how much I dissected the information and thought about it etc. I'd rate my campaign experiences as H1>H3>Reach>ODST>H2>H4

Now of course your list will differ, we're all fans and we all don't like the same things.

Ghazi

So I was reading the Polygon review of Halo 4 and just closed the tab when I saw this.
(Dominion part)

i8IxUfY.jpg

Also:
i1ot2q1bfpm6z.gif

Hey, 343, don't forget to patch the announcer not working in film clips in the upcoming TU. It makes multikill clips look like lifeless, dead garbage. Thanks!

Edit: ^^^ 'Dominion is the best thing to happen to Halo since xbox live'. Someone post the gif of the man arcing his head towards the sky whilst laughing.

Madness

Hey, 343, don't forget to patch the announcer not working in film clips in the upcoming TU. It makes multikill clips look like lifeless, dead garbage. Thanks!

As long as you don't rewind, the announcers voice always comes through. It's annoying I know, but you can skip backward as much as you like but if you don't rewind you should be good.

Buntabox

Now play Halo 2, which is still the most linear in the series. Most of the game was a hallway and the walls were painted differently.

CE had the same problem of reusing areas though. It just seemed capable of much larger open areas. Could be the limits of the Xbox by the time they got to Halo 2.

Halo 2 doesn't get too bad till the Sacred Icon mission. Until then its pretty fantastic and the areas are mostly different. Delta Halo is my jam. Outskirts and Metropolis are pretty tightly put together as well. You don't move through too many similar areas, just the tunnel road.

Once you reach Sacred Icon and you jump through those chutes and fight flood repeatedly in the same hallways is when the design problems show up. Then the same problem happens with Chief once he gets to High Charity. I recently replayed Halo 2 and my play speed slowed down once I got to those set of missions.

That said, Reach at least had varying levels. They all felt different. And its probably the campaign with the least amount of reused areas. How you feel about the encounter design is a different story. I don't have much of a problem with it. More the "DMRs everywhere" aspect that gets old. Why wouldn't I use the best precision weapon in the game when its just lying around everywhere. You are given access to every gun, but you don't HAVE to use them.

Moa

As long as you don't rewind, the announcers voice always comes through. It's annoying I know, but you can skip backward as much as you like but if you don't rewind you should be good.

No idea what you two are on about, but the announcer works fine for me, even when I rewind and all that stuff.

If you have a film clip recorded from before the 1.2 TU, the announcer won't talk, that was fixed in 1.2, all clips recorded post 1.2 will play the announcers audio.

CyReN

Last day to play the Community Forge Test even though Dominion, Regicide, Team Regicide, Oddball, and Crimson DLC have less people on.

Bobba Fett was mysterious. I like Nathan Fillion and all, but his character in ODST talked enough for any mystery to be out (he was also a main character unlike Fett). He was dull and generic as much as Carter in Reach.

Now lets look at Bobba Fett. Awesome armor that no one else has. Doesn't need anything special, just his fucking pistol and jetpack he rarely uses in the original trilogy. He's a mercenary and has no allegiance. Talks to no one if it's not business. That's the qualifications for a badass.

Now let's look at Buck. Standard ODST armor. The most generic white male in the series. Gives orders. Well...that's about it really. I can't even remember one quote from that guy because everything he said was so plain.

Boba Fett
Nothing special =/=Jetpack
Bam Said the Lady
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Q8Ca9jhQs

Buck was a great character.

Moa

Last day to play the Community Forge Test even though Dominion, Regicide, Team Regicide, Oddball, and Crimson DLC have less people on.

Quick question - is there any way I can get into testing lobbies for maps potentially getting into Matchmaking other than just waiting until a CC posts on GAF looking for players?

Madness

No idea what you two are on about, but the announcer works fine for me, even when I rewind and all that stuff.

If you have a film clip recorded from before the 1.2 TU, the announcer won't talk, that was fixed in 1.2, all clips recorded post 1.2 will play the announcers audio.

Did they fix it? I didn't know that. Was it in the patch notes? But originally, I found if I didn't rewind, the announcers voice came fine. It could also help that I haven't really made a clip or video (no reason to) since December. None of my friends still play the game and I have no one to show anything to.

Moa

Paypal Tashi.
tumblr_lxm2yzoH7F1qkedbio1_500.gif

Did they fix it? I didn't know that. Was it in the patch notes? But originally, I found if I didn't rewind, the announcers voice came fine. It could also help that I haven't really made a clip or video (no reason to) since December. None of my friends still play the game and I have no one to show anything to.

I just tested it out again then, it worked fine after rewinding and all that stuff.

I just tested it out again then, it worked fine after rewinding and all that stuff.

It doesn't work for me. I tried the not rewinding workaround and that produced the same result. Definitely still bugged.

Also just played a flag game on simplex. Pick the flag up, go to shoot the flagnum and it jams on the second shot. Frustrating.

Forge playlist is the best the game has seen so far, bizzare that team regicide stays in favour of it.

Bobba Fett was mysterious. I like Nathan Fillion and all, but his character in ODST talked enough for any mystery to be out (he was also a main character unlike Fett). He was dull and generic as much as Carter in Reach.

Now lets look at Bobba Fett. Awesome armor that no one else has. Doesn't need anything special, just his fucking pistol and jetpack he rarely uses in the original trilogy. He's a mercenary and has no allegiance. Talks to no one if it's not business. That's the qualifications for a badass.

Now let's look at Buck. Standard ODST armor. The most generic white male in the series. Gives orders. Well...that's about it really. I can't even remember one quote from that guy because everything he said was so plain.

It was just a random mercenary with a hilarious death in the movies. I think the charm with Buck was his voice actor.

I don't think it's the worst by any means. I think all of the Halo campaigns are great (Reach was the most lacking, but still good).

I do have complaints about Halo 2 though. Imagine just playing CE, maps that are open-world and it feels your own adventure, and a new world to explore was a plus. Now play Halo 2, which is still the most linear in the series. Most of the game was a hallway and the walls were painted differently.

The Halo 2 story, sandbox, and everything was on par (except the ending). The mission design wasn't bad or anything, it was just disappointing to what I grew used too. Basically, if Halo 2's campaign wasn't a sequel to CE, I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

Miranda keyes best male actor
+10

I love Halo 2, perhaps the best and most fun I had with any multiplayer game in a long time, but the campaign was a let down for me. I judge games by how they make me feel, how they play.

Halo 2's campaign left me pissed at the end. Be Master Chief, fight on High Charity etc. One of the shortest levels, and you leave Cortana and then it switches to Arbiter etc. You could tell the game was slightly rushed.

Compare it with Reach. Some would dislike the campaign, but no one can say it didn't end well. I'll compare halo 2 to mass effect 3. The ending pretty much ruins the excitement. It's like eating a bowl of soup, the best soup you've ever had. You drink all the way until the end and then you see there is a turd at the bottom. Now no matter how good the soup was, your mind stays on the turd, and it ruins what you thought the soup tasted like.

Poor analogy I know. If I had to rank campaigns, and this primarily on how I was left feeling, my mindset, how much I dissected the information and thought about it etc. I'd rate my campaign experiences as H1>H3>Reach>ODST>H2>H4

Now of course your list will differ, we're all fans and we all don't like the same things.

CE had the same problem of reusing areas though. It just seemed capable of much larger open areas. Could be the limits of the Xbox by the time they got to Halo 2.

Halo 2 doesn't get too bad till the Sacred Icon mission. Until then its pretty fantastic and the areas are mostly different. Delta Halo is my jam. Outskirts and Metropolis are pretty tightly put together as well. You don't move through too many similar areas, just the tunnel road.

Once you reach Sacred Icon and you jump through those chutes and fight flood repeatedly in the same hallways is when the design problems show up. Then the same problem happens with Chief once he gets to High Charity. I recently replayed Halo 2 and my play speed slowed down once I got to those set of missions.

That said, Reach at least had varying levels. They all felt different. And its probably the campaign with the least amount of reused areas. How you feel about the encounter design is a different story. I don't have much of a problem with it. More the "DMRs everywhere aspect that gets old. Why wouldn't I use the best precision weapon in the game when its just lying around everywhere. You are given access to every gun, but you don't HAVE to use them.
Constructive explanations, including Shoguns opinions of what broke the feel of Halo (switching character plots, boss fight, "Not Finishing The Fight", etc.)

Homeboyd

Quick question - is there any way I can get into testing lobbies for maps potentially getting into Matchmaking other than just waiting until a CC posts on GAF looking for players?
Yes dude... There's lots of other communities that run tests on these maps with CC's. Not here to advertise though so PM if you want details.

Also, we're cooking up something that will help with this very issue. Think it'll be up tomorrow.

I swear, he just says stupid things to get attention. He also claims Fuse will sell 5 million copies.

He's your typical old guy who's out of touch with the new crowd. He gives wild assumptions and then says easy ones like "CoD will be the best selling game this year" and "Bungie will announce Destiny at E3" so he can say he's made correct predictions.

Madness

That's my favorite as well.

That trailer also brought down the XBLM for a few hours, good times.

HALO 3 had the best marketing. This trailer, the CGI Master Chief commercial where he's lying in the grass looking at the stars as a kid, the believe ad, even the e3 gameplay trailer that starts with truth saying 'you are, all of you vermin' etc.

I would have liked some of the classic Halo music in Halo 4. I get they wanted to make it their own, but why couldn't we at least have the monks in the menu as opposed to that tribal wailing that is now annoying? I mean they used the monks for the halo 4 reveal trailer.

I still have all the trailers saved on my Xbox hard drive. Same goes for the mad world gears trailer.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Cortana and Foehammer are the best Halo characters. Gravemind was pretty great, too.

Does anyone know if we're ever going to get a normal BTB playlist? I like BTB, but only when there are objectives involved. It's just too chaotic with slayer.

Starry Night trailer was the best.

I liked more the "We are ODST".

Specially once you know what the music says.

"We cheat Death from his rightful victory. No one can defeat us we are glad to plunge feet first into hell in the knowledge that we will rise."

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
BTB Neutral Bomb is one of my favorite things ever in Halo. I have zero hope of 343 bringin that one back.

Top Bottom