• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Challenge accepted.

I played through the whole campaign expecting a scenario to play out like this...

Cortana: "Watch out! These aren't your ordinary Hunters. Looks like the Didact's Prometheans have been getting a little friendly with our Covie pals. Let's show em how it's done."

And having like super Hunters, or some crazy heavy class enemy like Enforcers or whatever new thing. It never came :( Not even a Scarab. Closest thing I got was the Liche, and that was pretend. They've teased with the Harvester, but it isn't real, either... Also, it's pretty much the EXACT same Covenant all the way through. It would have been cool to see how they were evolving as a more "rogue" faction. Remember Halo 2 when the Brutes (RIP) started changing up the game... and the Heretic faction... Shit like that... :(

TheOddOne

I played through the whole campaign expecting a scenario to play out like this...

Cortana: "Watch out! These aren't your ordinary Hunters. Looks like the Didact's Prometheans have been getting a little friendly with our Covie pals. Let's show em how it's done."

And having like super Hunters, or some crazy heavy class enemy like Enforcers or whatever new thing. It never came :( Not even a Scarab. Closest thing I got was the Liche, and that was pretend. They've teased with the Harvester, but it isn't real, either... Also, it's pretty much the EXACT same Covenant all the way through. It would have been cool to see how they were evolving as a more "rogue" faction. Remember Halo 2 when the Brutes (RIP) started changing up the game... and the Heretic faction... Shit like that... :(
That happens when you pretty much scale down to smaller intimate encounters. I would argue that huge scales are a fundamental part of Halo, the go anywhere and handle any situation the way you want are promoted much more. With the smaller scale it kind of loses its uniqueness, grandeur and variety. Like now the encounters are just more tiresome, because you are forced to walk an even more straight line. In a way they also undermines the encounters now, because it is repeated so fast that it just loses its appeal faster (just to add insult to injury, the AI being dumbed down also contributes to it being boring).

Damn you Ply!
Budda is the final boss.

NOKYARD

Doubles impressions:

Haven: I like the weapon placement a ton, as well as the lifts and lights added, but this seems to be one of the more broken maps when it comes to spawns. Not sure if that's fixable. It's also voted for way too much (not really something that I can rationally complain about, but there it is), which is worse when it's put up in slot 1 or 2, since the other team can "force" the "vote". 3/5

Spawn fixes are in for the next refresh.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I looooved fighting heretic Elites in Reach Firefight. It was a nice change of pace. The only real downside was that they were overpowered as hell -- sniper rifles, rocket launches, and best of all: pro pipe. The things they would pull off with the grenade launcher were insane. Another benefit was that, in custom Firefight, you could disable the infinite ammo crates, and add a heretic wave or two to replenish your loadout weapons. Helped the mode feel more like a game of survival, rather than merely score attack.

Sucks that Firefight got ditched. There was so much room for improvement. Could have been truly great.

Madness

I never said it was permanent, I simply used it to show him that he was wrong. Halo 3 Recon may not have been permanent but it was an official announcement, just like Destiny

I don't think you've learned the difference between an unofficial leak and an official announcement. Bungie didn't release or announce anything, all they've ever announced is that they are working on a new game. Besides some concept art after the leak, some geomantic symbols and logos/t-shirts, and the phrase 'per audacia ad astra', Bungie has not announced nor shown anything about the game.

That aside, I'm loving doubles pro. So much fun.

Also to GrizzNKev, I don't know what your problem is. I sent you a PM, looks like you didn't read it. This is now the 8th post or so of yours that I've noticed in the past few days that is either directed negatively towards me or mocks me in some way.

Everyone gets what you're saying. They're just fucking with you because you get worked up so easily.

- Madness quits HaloGAF for a second time
- File shares and screenshots finally on the web
- DLC maps
- New Xbox revealed
- Improved custom games options
- Balance tweaks

Rofl

"I prepared this post in case you ridiculed me. Why haven't you ridiculed me yet?"

Uh ok, let's make some jokes!

"What a mistake. Bye."

Bye!!!! :)

You more or less requested to be "ridiculed" and you should take things a bit more lightly.

My brother's dad's wife's father's son's nephew plays Halo and posts on internet forums about it.

For even more unlreated reasons I've been inside Bungie's enchanted walls, and for more reasons after that I'm going to be meeting some folks from ArenaNet, the people behind Guild Wars. And even then, I've been in 343's parking lot. My point is none of these things are particularly special, nor are they difficult to do. Live in the region, know a few of the right people, and that's that.

Unless you're about to reveal something nobody knows yet, nobody is going to care.

I've also touched Atvi CEO Bobbeh Co-Dick and been close enough to touch EA CEO John Ravioli for unrelated reasons. But I'm not going to act like they gave me mystical industry secrets.

K bro. I know one of the lead hardware designers on all 3 xboxes and I ain't gonna peep a damn thing. Chillllllllll.

I mean like the majority of your posts these past few days in the Halo OT have been directed at me or meant to mock what I said, what gives?

HTupolev

Closest thing I got was the Liche, and that was pretend.
Liche isn't pretend so much as uninspiring.

Halo 2's scarab had a great lead-up, and the battle itself involved a neat chase mechanic and an interestingly-shaped on-board close-quarters combat arena. And the stages of the fight progress fluidly and with excitement.

I don't think that Halo 3's scarabs are necessarily the pinnacle of core gameplay, but they're pretty good, and maintaining that "pretty good" is insanely impressive considering how dynamically they can play out, and so naturally. And that explosion? When they blow up and light the region in a beautiful blue Halo 3 lighting model flash, and the huge bits and pieces physics their way to the ground? Yeah. That explosion.

The liche...
There's no lead-up to it, it just sort of appears and you're all "okay, there's a thing there."
The boarding process isn't that interesting, as unlike both the Halo 2 and Halo 3 scarabs, there's no real interaction with the liche as you approach it, so it's basically just a room encounter which allows you to approach the enemies in the room from several different angles. Which doesn't necessarily make it bad, but it feels like it misses one of the expectations of a large-vehicle-boarding section.
The interior itself is just sort of messy. I guess it looks king of interesting, but it doesn't have much structure to it, and resultantly doesn't produce any kind of unique combat flow.
The destruction process is drawn-out, and the final payoff is almost cartoonishly weak; after drifting for a bit while covered in "broken machinery" effects, the thing vanishes in a puff of smoke.
Overall it fells like it shows up, you kill it, and that's that. Not a horrible moment, but not remotely as memorable as the stuff it references. Which could probably be used to describe quite a few moments in Halo 4, including at least one other in that same level.

TheOddOne

Also to GrizzNKev, I don't know what your problem is. I sent you a PM, looks like you didn't read it. This is now the 8th post or so of yours that I've noticed in the past few days that is either directed negatively towards me or mocks me in some way.
Bobby_Awkward.gif

GrizzNKev

Banned

hoooooooooooooly snap

1) I didn't get none PM from y'all. If you want to bro it out via PM I encourage you to do so. That new messages text color makes me feel loved.

2) Lighten up dude. My avatar is an angry orange with arms and legs. I'm just messing around 99% of the time. Honest. I think you're a pretty cool poster, just please stop taking things so seriously.

3) Those last 3 posts of mine you quoted are things that have actually happened and are true. I talked about the weather in Redmond with that Xbox hardware designer today.

I can compliment you. I love your avatar, WW is my favorite Zelda game and favorite GameCube game.

I, eh...

Look Madness, I don't want to be anyone's enemy. If you want me to stop joking around and whatnot, I'll do that for you. I'm not out to hurt your feelings or make you look bad. I respect you as an individual and as a Halo fan; a person of shared interests. I'd be much happier if you had some brutal comebacks for my jokes rather than getting upset about it, but if that's the kind of person you are, then I shall cease.

Spawn fixes are in for the next refresh.

Nice! I love this map's "flow" updates. Amazing how two lights and lifts can do to make the map play quite well. Power weapon cycle is beautiful on this map, too. Is the Needler not considered a power weapon like the sticky and railgun? It spawns Mohawk, but there is no ordnance hud thingy.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
-Port all of the classic H1 and H2 maps to H3
-Remove the spread
-Fix the FOV
-Slightly increase movement speed
-Dedicated Servers

instant "best Halo game ever".

...never mind, back to broken ctf, and personal ordnance.

That would be amazing! I completely agree those are the only slight issues with Halo 3. Can you imagine if even just that was Halo 4 multiplayer, how much better would it be?

We shouldn't be trying to accomodate AA's, perks, sprint and unskilful shooting mechanics among various other fundamentally flawed ideas and gimmicks, we should settle for no less than a good proper Halo game.

Pop

So if someone could just point me in the direction to the skilled ranks in H4, I'll be on my way.

Plz respond

zap

kptI4.gif

Dude, it's an internet forum where 10 people thought that there was a legitimate Destiny leak going around in PMs from a person who doesn't work for Bungie. Chill.

Game is $25 some places - release GonD for $60.

Oh Microsoft, u so funny

Yep. Only reason why I even own Reach and Wars GoD is because I won it on 343day (what happened to that? Don't recall it happening last year). Its just not worth the premium since they aren't released day and date, and a lot of places you can easily get the disc cheaper. Here's hoping next gen gets this right. Steam/Amazon/GMG route or bust.

Moa

Yep. Only reason why I even own Reach and Wars GoD is because I won it on 343day (what happened to that? Don't recall it happening last year). Its just not worth the premium since they aren't released day and date, and a lot of places you can easily get the disc cheaper. Here's hoping next gen gets this right. Steam/Amazon/GMG route or bust.

I think with the launch of Halo 4, they were probably a bit busy to just give away codes all day.

The main reason it happened is because people assume that if Bungie had a special day, then 343i should too, they really shouldn't -_-

Shadders

We may mock the prices of digital content, but the numbers suggest that people are willing to pay those prices for the convenience of downloading the game. Why shouldn't Microsoft take those people's money?

If you know the game is cheaper in BestBuy and you buy it from there, then Microsoft still get the sale. This allows them to sell the game to savvy people at a lower price and lazy/rich people at a higher price. It's a great business model.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Just played Infinity Doubles and there were no insane personal ordnance drops. The setup wasn't exactly like I made it but I saw no snipers, rockets, lasers or anything like that. It was on Haven. Could there have been an emergency fix?

Madness

There are some games in which campaign progress is important to me, is those games I backup the save date in cloud storage.

But would that change anything? I mean for Reach, I had first beaten the campaign on heroic, and then started legendary, I'd gotten to the Exodus level before all of a sudden all of my saved game progress was gone.

I looked at my save and it was still there on the hard drive, all of my achievements from heroic and some on legendary were there, but it was as if I never played the campaign.

I haven't had it happen to me in Halo 4, and so does having a "save" in the cloud help? Plus does anyone know why that happened to me in Reach? Still haven't went back and beat it again on legendary.

Just played Infinity Doubles and there were no insane personal ordnance drops. The setup wasn't exactly like I made it but I saw no snipers, rockets, lasers or anything like that. It was on Haven. Could there have been an emergency fix?

I think the BTB drops only happen on the forge maps. For some reason, all of the canvases have the larger map ordnance even though most forge maps are going to be on the smaller side.

Moa

Check the game type options and see if custom personal ordnance is enabled.

You probably just got unlucky (or lucky) with the ordnance.

Tashi

I think the BTB drops only happen on the forge maps. For some reason, all of the canvases have the larger map ordnance even though most forge maps are going to be on the smaller side.

I wanna say I dropped a Binary Rifle on Haven earlier today with Mastrbiggy. Gonna have to try more stuff out.

But would that change anything? I mean for Reach, I had first beaten the campaign on heroic, and then started legendary, I'd gotten to the Exodus level before all of a sudden all of my saved game progress was gone.

I looked at my save and it was still there on the hard drive, all of my achievements from heroic and some on legendary were there, but it was as if I never played the campaign.

I haven't had it happen to me in Halo 4, and so does having a "save" in the cloud help? Plus does anyone know why that happened to me in Reach? Still haven't went back and beat it again on legendary.

Nope, because I backed up my save data, not move it ;) For instance, in Ninja Gaiden 2, I changed storage device to Cloud Storage and saved my progress, after I did that I changed storage device back to HDD. So if my HDD gets whiped for some reason, I can always load up the save I backed up in the Cloud.

I think you can do that with Halo too. Back up your save data to the Cloud, but keep HDD as main storage device to boot/load the game from. If your saves get wiped, acces it from the cloud etc.

We may mock the prices of digital content, but the numbers suggest that people are willing to pay those prices for the convenience of downloading the game. Why shouldn't Microsoft take those people's money?
There's a long reply to this, but at work and such.

More than the morality of it, it's unmaintainable in this environment, one just has look at some of the competing online services to see how well lower priced big content does.

Tashi

Played Infinity on Abandon, no crazy drops.

Asked Jazzy, he played Rail Infinity and nothing crazy. He did get Scattershot though which was not in the original personal ordnance. And then he got a Binary on Scythe so my theory has fallen to shit lol

Doubles Pro is godly though. Feels so damn good.

Ghazi

To all these people talking about campaign progress, I believe the way it works is that your campaign progress (i.e how many missions you've completed) is saved online. Your checkpoints are the save that are on console. With Reach and CE:A I lost both my saves for them and I still have access to all my missions and etc.

Fuchsdh

To all these people talking about campaign progress, I believe the way it works is that your campaign progress (i.e how many missions you've completed) is saved online. Your checkpoints are the save that are on console. With Reach and CE:A I lost both my saves for them and I still have access to all my missions and etc.
I believe this is correct given the fact they're tied up to achievements etc.

Top Bottom