• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

If MS wants to make more money off some "Halo saga" pack (possibly after Halo 6), then it will definitely use the Windows Store, which we can all expect to go full throttle alongside the new Xbox. MS has already started using cross-platform apps with W8 such as Xbox Smartglass and Xbox Music. They're definitely showing new interest in gaming digital distribution and I still think the Xbox Live Marketplace will be renamed the "Windows Store" on the new Xbox.

IMO when the term "Windows" is thrown around I think of the business applications of windows, rather than a framing for gaming.

Not saying they're eventually going to call it a Windows-Box, but just making the Xbox Live Marketplace and the Windows Store one thing. GFWL never showed great success, so naming the Marketplace "GFWL" would have tarnished the store, but if GFWL was a success as much as Steam, I guarantee you they would have used the same name to make it easier for everyone. I've been using the Windows Store for a while and even though I hate the UI of the new start menu, the Windows Store has been flawless so far in purchasing and using apps. I don't see why they wouldn't try to integrate the stores, especially when games from the 360 and W8 appear on the same profile.

If MS wants to make more money off some "Halo saga" pack (possibly after Halo 6), then it will definitely use the Windows Store, which we can all expect to go full throttle alongside the new Xbox. MS has already started using cross-platform apps with W8 such as Xbox Smartglass and Xbox Music. They're definitely showing new interest in gaming digital distribution and I still think the Xbox Live Marketplace will be renamed the "Windows Store" on the new Xbox.

I personally feel they should do the opposite, and use the xbox brand whenever MS deals with gaming. IMO when the term "Windows" is thrown around I think of the business applications of windows, rather than a framing for gaming.

darthbob

Episode 8 of Spartan Ops was very fast, I finished Chapter 3 in less than 5 mins.

It is, well it was.

EDIT: They removed the full recruit armor from the markedplace but the FOTUS is still in there.

Ch. 1 lasted a good while, but the others were just a breeze through.

Continuing my post on weapon details. One or two weapons are fairly new additions so may still have details in development.

A big thing to keep in mind is that in a PvP environment, 3 melees will kill. Two for shields and one for health. It also relies on Halo 2's momentum system (so a jump-melee or dash-melee will do more damage), but it's worth noting Sprint-melee does no more damage than a regular run. Thruster receives a slight buff by extension because Thrust-melee is a two-hit kill. For the sake of demonstration let's say melees take 3 frames.

Energy Sword: Some significant modifications. For one, pulling the right trigger or hitting the melee button is NOT an instant kill. Instead, it takes two hits to kill, with each melee taking 2 frames (meaning it's faster than a traditional melee). These smaller jabs only take 5% battery and do not have a massive lunge effect. However, you can charge the sword up now. Whether it constantly drains battery like the Plasma Pistol is unknown. This charged sword shot has the classic lunge effect (something something using the blade's enhanced magnetic field to attract to an enemy's suit) and will kill in one hit. To prevent camping, the sword glows profusely and gives off a loud, ambient electrical noise to reveal your position to enemy players. In most cases, using the charge is ridiculously impractical; it should only be used if it's the only way to clear the distance in time or if you have the jump on someone. This sword overcharge will also EMP vehicles as long as it makes contact (no AOE melee).

Hardlight Halberd: Operates on the same mechanics. Two-hit kill, slightly longer reach but eats a little more battery (6% for basic slice, 12% for a charge). Charging the Halberd will let you perform a burst identical in function to the Gravity Hammer.
Also of note is that, when the melee weapons run out of ammo, pressing the right trigger will throw them. With the Sword you simply throw the hilt, while the Hardlight Halberd turns into a Gravelin. The Sword will re-activate one last time if it hits a player, killing them. It can be grabbed out of the air (still depleted but able to be thrown) with proper timing, however. The Gravelin will derezz on contact with a surface, but hitting a player with it is an instant kill and they're also promptly derezzed.

BECQUEREL: The new Grenade Launcher. It has a colored display on the front that will change colors depending on which grenade you're going to fire, similar to the SAW's LED ammo counter. There are four grenade types, each with altmodes. I'm not exactly sure how you'll pick the grenade yet (possibly with the corresponding button on the controller) but it's single-shot with 15 maximum, 7 default.
Green: Reach Grenade Launcher round.
Blue: Sticky Detonator round.
Red: Pulse Grenade.
Yellow: Phase Grenade.
The range of the pulse and phase grenades is unchanged; however, they're shot out about 1.5x the speed you throw them, and can ricochet up to 10 times before detonating.

Gravity Gauntlet: Grapple Beam meets Bulletstorm whip meets the Force. Poor battery life. Uses a fairly thick tractor beam to latch onto the closest interactive weapon (it won't move crates or anything) and reel it in, players included. Due to the tractor beam having a slight gravitational pull, it can be intercepted - don't go for those Rockets if you know an enemy's going to chuck a live grenade into your field. It also replaces the Jet Pack to provide more controlled vertical movement; you can latch onto hooks and swing from them. Its third effect is stunning players in both vertical and horizontal senses for up to 5 seconds (though that would take up a quarter of the entire battery). The enemy cannot move but they can still look around, shoot, melee, and so on so it's a bad idea to do it in a one-on-one environment. It has the melee power of a regular melee weapon swing (2-frames, 2-hit kill) and has unique assassinations.

Railgun: Slight buff, maybe improve reload speed.

The Huntshot: 6-shot clip. Default fire works like the Halo 2 Brute Shot. Charging up a shot will fire a Halo Reach or Halo 4-era Fuel Rod Gun round, eating up two shots of the clip.

Sniper Rifle: You know the drill.

Beam Rifle: See above.

Rocket Launcher: No different.

Nova Cannon: The Plasma Launcher and the Incineration Cannon had a baby. It has a two-shot clip. Projectiles work like the Plasma Launcher and will stick, at which point it takes 3 seconds to detonate. Detonating on a grounded target causes an explosion with the power of a grenade (not lethal), and sends out a bunch of mini-explosions with about 80% that power (so combined lethal). Hitting an airborne target generates an explosion with the power of a Rocket, and it sends out small explosions and particles in all directions much like a firework.

I personally feel they should do the opposite, and use the xbox brand whenever MS deals with gaming. IMO when the term "Windows" is thrown around I think of the business applications of windows, rather than a framing for gaming.

That is what Microsoft have done so far, don't see any reason for that to change. They're both very powerful brands. I see it being rebranded as the Xbox Store more than anything. On Windows 8 it's referred to as Xbox on Windows.

Personally, I'm hoping that the Xbox release (which undoubtedly will run some sort of variant of Windows 8) will cause Microsoft to unify their Stores. Currently the Windows Store for Windows 8 and RT are one thing, and Windows Store for Windows Phone 8 separate from that. If the "Blue" update ships around Sep-Oct timeframe (reports have placed it around 1year post Windows 8) I could see it coinciding with the next Xbox as well as a version bump for Windows Phone 8 to 8.5 or whatever.

Call it the Grand Unification of Xbox, Windows, and Windows Phone, but I see something like this happening (as well as a proper "app" store section for Xbox).

Homeboyd

Tashi I thought Doubles Pro had Dexterity you boob!
Well three of the four loadouts are perfect...

Sarcastic-Smiley-Face.png

Tzeentch

The Henery said:
I do not understand why a collective of patently talented people who profess so insistently their love for Halo allow infinity's butchery to first happen and then shamefully continue and corrupt mainline playlists such as CTF. Do. Not. Understand.
They love the gold star on their CV for having worked on a franchise as big as Halo. They love the opportunity to "fix" the game and have their 'amazing' ideas spread over a huge playerbase. They love knowing they have a stable job for a significant period of time, as Microsoft has no choice but to try again if they don't meet sales expectations. They love Halo as game developers, as a sandbox they can make their professional mark on, and as a great paycheck. As gamers they simply "like" Halo, which is why they had no problems changing everything from the aesthetics of the enemies to core gameplay mechanics.

The DMR really does need to go. I don't complain about Halo 4 much because I still believe it's a better game than Reach and the largest thing holding this game back is playlists management. Though, the DMR is ruining the most relaxed gametype in the series, BTB.

Things are wrapping up with all of the sandbox information. I think I figured out a way to switch grenades using the Grenade Launcher - only problem is, it would replace the scope button meaning you couldn't zoom in while holding it. Would that be too much of a loss?

Could have sworn that was exclusive to those who got the Limited Edition?
No. That's a different armor. Limited Edition owner go this:
ipdoe24OWMH9z.png

To be completely fair, the first we heard of the File Browser coming to Waypoint was going to be 'early december'.

Now it is 'late February', I realize the in-game one was broken but I don't take 343's dates seriously any more.
I think they will use the Majestic Map Pack as a marketing push for the Title Update.

You are a little late to the party,

Heh heh, I'm sure you meant you want Halo 1-3+odst on Steam with additional content. My soul will be crushed if Halo 3 never gets a pc version.

No love for Halo Wars?

(I hope we see Halo Wars 2 in the future, it's a great game with a lot of potential, perhaps with promethean faction now?)

Halo Wars, would be great, if it wasnt so dumbed down, allowed an acceptable level of zoom out, and allowed keyboard/mouse input. (Great Halo addon ideas for more sales)

and had Forge map editor.

Or you could just release it for the PC instead of shitty consoles.

That said the campaign was decent for an RTS and the CGI was pretty damn good too and I would buy a sequel.

Halo Wars, would be great, if it wasnt so dumbed down, allowed an acceptable level of zoom out, and allowed keyboard/mouse input. (Great Halo addon ideas for more sales)

That said the campaign was decent for an RTS and the CGI was pretty damn good too and I would buy a sequel.

Halo Wars 2 to randomly produce units. You may get a sparrow hawk or you might get a single marine.

Completely Agree.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Hey, Fucko, expedite my order of Spike, I ain't payin' you to sit here on the forums!

Also, Halo Wars was a really good singleplayer game.

Halogaf complains a lot about Halo, but almost nowhere near enough about Andy, Andy is the real villain here, and I think Halogaf needs to let him know that he does not kick assess up and down the street.

Elzar back me up.

Halo Wars 2 to randomly produce units. You may get a sparrow hawk or you might get a single marine.

Random bonus ordnance drops. Perfect for the casual RTS player (A group that does not exist, RTS players are INSANE and built to destroy you)

Hey, Fucko, expedite my order of Spike, I ain't payin' you to sit here on the forums!

Also, Halo Wars was a really good singleplayer game.

I can only help if your order is stuck in customs clearance. This sounds US to US in which you'll have to deal with the logistics of Fedex Ground, still, at least its not UPS. Please direct any further questions to 1-800-GOFEDEX.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Halo Wars was just a marketing ploy by Peter Jackson.

I got a marketing ploy for you in my pants.
it's my penis

You gotta get your start somewhere! After this I'll let you commentate my gym goings and we can upload it to youtube.

After that, who knows what you could do. The sky is the limit!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Wish you could drop ODST's in Halo 4 MP like you can in Halo Wars. They just kill everyone.

Sounds like a great idea for a kill streak in Halo 5. Not dogs, but ODSTs!

I can only help if your order is stuck in customs clearance. This sounds US to US in which you'll have to deal with the logistics of Fedex Ground, still, at least its not UPS. Please direct any further questions to 1-800-GOFEDEX.

What good are you then?

Fire Juices.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Just imagine. You're playing an indoor map. Someone gets ODSTs, the lights go out and all you hear is the ping of the ODST vision as people start dropping around you. Terrifying!

Just imagine, everyone calls in ODSTs at the same time. It's like the game practically plays itself!

For ODSTs to kill everyone, the friendly AI would have to be effective enough to kill anyone at all.

This is Halo we're talking about, remember?

Oh snap.

Halogaf complains a lot about Halo, but almost nowhere near enough about Andy, Andy is the real villain here, and I think Halogaf needs to let him know that he does not kick assess up and down the street.

Elzar back me up.

You're on your own.

Shame on you for picking on a particular vulnerable person, he also gives to numerous charities.

This is the person you pick on? Really!?

Top Bottom