• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

It cost less to outfit and equip a ODST than it does a Spartan IV and they are missing.

They are also much more effective than Marines.

Its makes zero sense to not have ODST's on the infinity. They were on board the Spirit of Fire which also had a compliment of Spartan II's they have been at every single major battle and aboard every major ship the UNSC has had since their inception. Their occlusion for The PoA and the battle of Halo is only because of a oversight in canon.

The Infinity is the largest ship the UNSC has ever built their is no logical reason to not have a small platoon of ODST aboard.

Halo 4 missed a beat by not having an ODST squad and a ODST leader aboard who was personalized and shown in cutscenes. Hell it could of even been Buck's squad. Throw them on the ship they are not doing anything else and the Infinity is the only ship that was doing anything really its a time of relative peace for the UNSC.

I gotta agree. Especially the Buck thing is kind of a missed opportunity.

I seriously hope that 343 expands on everything with Halo 5: characters (old (Arbiter, Buck, Hood, ...) and new (Lasky, Osman, ...)), vehicles (including crazy promethean vehicles... and the return of the chopper, of course), encounter scale (bring back scarabs or something even more interesting!), and so on.

It has to happen.

gAg CruSh3r

I would absolutely love to see a Halo Wars 2. Preferably on PC, but who knows, what Microsoft plans for the Xbox 720.

Hire juices!

Edit:

Holy shit, where did this came from?

It was sometime ago here on HaloGAF. Everyone had a good kick out of it :)...

Also Halo Wars 2 please :)... More players and faster game play!

I'm okay with them not feeling the need to trot out every liked character in every instalment.
Happy even.

Just a shame that we have to put up with less interesting and less well used ones.

darthbob

It cost less to outfit and equip a ODST than it does a Spartan IV and they are missing.

They are also much more effective than Marines.

Its makes zero sense to not have ODST's on the infinity. They were on board the Spirit of Fire which also had a compliment of Spartan II's they have been at every single major battle and aboard every major ship the UNSC has had since their inception. Their occlusion for The PoA and the battle of Halo is only because of a oversight in canon.

The Infinity is the largest ship the UNSC has ever built their is no logical reason to not have a small platoon of ODST aboard.

Halo 4 missed a beat by not having an ODST squad and a ODST leader aboard who was personalized and shown in cutscenes. Hell it could of even been Buck's squad. Throw them on the ship they are not doing anything else and the Infinity is the only ship that was doing anything really its a time of relative peace for the UNSC.

Do you want the real answer or the in-game canon nerd answer?

Real answer: budget/technical constraints. ODSTs don't need to be in the game because S-IVs are the focal point of MP, but there needs to be 'lesser' Marines to compliment. New unit type just for SP encounters on rare occasion = eating into that game budget of space

Canon answer: As S-IVs became public and were the defacto SpecOps group, existing ODSTs became absorbed into the S-IV program. Thorne's history is basically alluded to as him being an ODST in the past.

Anyways, this has been a fun topic. I missed having discussions about Halo's canon. :-/

TheOddOne

I don't know Andy, but I hate him. Not as much as Elzar, Bobs, Robbert or bunnies (Kidding, bunnies are the best things ever).

Gazza is the only cool guy I know, RIP Halo.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
iWTFD2upPlksM.gif

HOLY SHIT. Edit: Would be better if he said "don't wake me."

Commentating Halo is my only chance in life.

RIP U4ICKS

Fuchsdh

No love for Halo Wars?

(I hope we see Halo Wars 2 in the future, it's a great game with a lot of potential, perhaps with promethean faction now?)

I dont see Halo Wars being at all fun on the PC. It'd just be frustrating going up against all the limitations. It was brilliant as a console RTS, and that's where it should stay.

I dont see Halo Wars being at all fun on the PC. It'd just be frustrating going up against all the limitations. It was brilliant as a console RTS, and that's where it should stay.

I didn't mean that they should launch Halo Wars in console, I'm just saying I had a lot of fun playing Halo Wars, and I hope we see a future title of this console-RTS, a much better version of course, the gameplay was solid, but it lacked many things that can be done even in console. It did felt limited. (Population, how can you organize your army, etc)

Do you want the real answer or the in-game canon nerd answer?

Real answer: budget/technical constraints. ODSTs don't need to be in the game because S-IVs are the focal point of MP, but there needs to be 'lesser' Marines to compliment. New unit type just for SP encounters on rare occasion = eating into that game budget of space

Canon answer: As S-IVs became public and were the defacto SpecOps group, existing ODSTs became absorbed into the S-IV program. Thorne's history is basically alluded to as him being an ODST in the past.

Anyways, this has been a fun topic. I missed having discussions about Halo's canon. :-/

I know the "real" answer. The nerd answer however is what I have issues with. Because ODST's did not get absorbed into the S-IV program because that program only consisted of adult volunteers. Now Its true other living Spartans from other Spartan units where asked to join and its also true that some ODST did join however it was made perfectly clear previously that many ODST's disrespected Spartans because they believed that augmentation was cheating.

Can you really see those discriminative ODST members joining? What about those who did not want augmentation solely because they wanted to stay pure.

If 343i have just wrote ODST's out of canon as "Their S-IV now" then that its stupid.

The ODST's still have a place in Halo Fiction the creation of S-IV's does not negate their specialized skill set.

Plywood and Gazza are the only cool guys I know, RIP Halo.

Excuse me
H55MM.jpg

Explain. Limitations? Compared to a console? What?

BTW parts of it were brilliant but the gameplay? Not really...nothing special. Had nothing on many RTS before and after it.

Explain. Limitations? Compared to a console? What?

BTW parts of it were brilliant but the gameplay? Not really...nothing special. Had nothing on many RTS before and after it.

I think he was refering to the gameplay and design limitations imposed upon it specifically because it was made for console.

darthbob

I know the "real" answer. The nerd answer however is what I have issues with. Because ODST's did not get absorbed into the S-IV program because that program only consisted of adult volunteers. Now Its true other living Spartans from other Spartan units where asked to join and its also true that some ODST did join however it was made perfectly clear previously that many ODST's disrespected Spartans because they believed that augmentation was cheating.

Can you really see those discriminative ODST members joining? What about those who did not want augmentation solely because they wanted to stay pure.

If 343i have just wrote ODST's out of canon as "Their S-IV now" then that its stupid.

The ODST's still have a place in Halo Fiction the creation of S-IV's does not negate their specialized skill set.

I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree then.

I'm guessing ODSTs will be explored at a later point, probably in a book as they do seem to be a fan favorite.

I thought the Halo Wars story was great and the cinematics matched that, but it was too simple of an RTS. The main strategy was to have more units. If you had even one more strength point than the enemy, you were going to win 100% of the time, no matter the scenario. Most of the units were powerful ones and few were weak, when it should be the other way around. The airstrikes and all that type of power stuff were silly and un-needed. Building a well fortified base was too easy and supplies came in too quickly.

I understand that Ensemble intentionally made the game very easy to "welcome the genre to consoles", but after playing LoTR:BFME2, that type of thinking isn't needed. LoTR:BFME2 proved that it's possible to have an RTS with deep mechanics on a console.

Halo Wars was a great Halo game but not an RTS one. I would love a Halo Wars 2, but not developed by Robot Entertainment. The Halo series and it's lore can easily set up a fantastic RTS game if the genre is taken with a more serious approach, something Ensemble didn't want to do. I don't see why Microsoft wouldn't do that on a PC (while the Halo FPS stays on the console)? They can do a Windows Store exclusive and it will dramatically boost their W8 sales (it's cheap to upgrade from W7). It isn't the more moral thing because there's Steam, but that's the only way we'll see a Halo game on the PC.

FyreWulff

So my friend was playing Griffball, the host switched and this happened:

Host switched.

It went to respawn all the Forge objects.

Due to Halo 4's new quirk where Forge objects can't spawn if a player model is near the volume where they will appear, someone's player model was considered to be 'in the way'.

Piece doesn't spawn.

Finally does after everyone stays away long enough for it to respawn.

I liked the leader powers reminded me of the God Powers from Age of Myth which was the last game I had played from Ensemble (AoE3 stunk)

AoE2 was goat.

Host switched.

It went to respawn all the Forge objects.

Due to Halo 4's new quirk where Forge objects can't spawn if a player model is near the volume where they will appear, someone's player model was considered to be 'in the way'.

Piece doesn't spawn.

Finally does after everyone stays away long enough for it to respawn.

Any idea on what qualifies as near? Surely it doesn't mean on-top-of or we'd see this issue much more prominently on the other forge maps, right?

FyreWulff

Any idea on what qualifies as near? Surely it doesn't mean on-top-of or we'd see this issue much more prominently on the other forge maps, right?

Freak occurence where the player model was probably simulated as falling slightly before everything respawned.

As far as I can tell, H4 will prevent Forge objects from spawning even if your leg is in the way.

Moa

I've vanished from the leaderboards, despite playing more games than the guy ranked 224th in Spartan Ops.

Just going to assume I was labeled as a cheater - yet Gamesager, the biggest stat padder in Halo is sitting nice & cosy in 7th place.

I've vanished from the leaderboards, despite playing more games than the guy ranked 224th in Spartan Ops.

Just going to assume I was labeled as a cheater - yet Gamesager, the biggest stat padder in Halo is sitting nice & cosy in 7th place.

This is why gaming leaderboards are the devil.

NOKYARD

Paging Nokyard

What Fyre said.

It's only present on delayed spawn items. The floors on Primordial are normally a horribly dark shit-smeared mess. To counter this they are set to spawn at 2 seconds into the 10 second countdown to avoid the 'Generating Lighting Please Wait' phase. Late spawning causes them to be substantially brighter and fully reflective.
Before

After

Late spawning also allows the radiant light from the 'goo' pond to light up the upper portions of the court. Notice the pipes on the back wall.

The simple fix is to add a grid below the floor, but a much better fix may be incoming.

alright, with all this praise I might have to actually play halo again to try Doubles Pro. From what it sounds like those settings should be made global

NOKYARD

Better fix as in Forge controlled fix?
Too soon to say. Just an idea i have been working on.

In other forge news i figured out how to make perfectly flat floors using Coliseum Walls set to 90 degrees. Could only do it with walls set to 45 degrees previously.

Homeboyd

In other forge news i figured out how to make perfectly flat floors using Coliseum Walls set to 90 degrees. Could only do it with walls set to 45 degrees previously.
All the col-iseum walls bring Nok to the yard... Nok to the yard... Nok to the yard...

(Sorry... Long day. That was inexcusable.)

Moa

Sweet.

Quick question, that map that takes place in the room in Erosion, how come the Wall, Colosseum is invisible?

Better yet, how is it invisible?

NOKYARD

Sweet.

Quick question, that map that takes place in the room in Erosion, how come the Wall, Colosseum is invisible?

Better yet, how is it invisible?

This one?

The wall which blocks off Sarge's seat (beer & hoagie as well) is one of many invisible items. There's an entire invisible ceiling is built from 4x4 Blocks and Coliseum walls which prevent the ball from glitching through the natural ceiling. They lose their structure(?) when you embed them into the surrounding geometry. You can do this trick in other areas as well, like the roof of the Impact base.

Top Bottom