• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Fuchsdh

I liked hopping into the Oddball playlist :(

I've been really enjoying the playlist too. It's a lot less frustrating for me than flag. I suppose it's always been that way, I just never played enough of it aside from Oddball Swordbase to decide on that previously.

Between that and Dominion, 90% of my playtime has been in those hoppers.

Havok

It was inevitable. Oddball has started pulling fewer than 1k players at peak. It works well on...uh...two maps, maybe? Not enough of them to support a full playlist. Same goes for King of the Hill before it was cut, and at least that'll be available in matchmaking now. If they continued down this path, Oddball would eventually be cut and you'd end up with two of the four core objective gametypes unavailable in matchmaking and a third behind the Crimson paywall.

That one gametype per playlist thing is a nice ideal scenario, but we don't have an infinitely large population and map pool to pull from.

Madness

Just think. Jurassic Park is coming back to theaters this year. A chance for a whole new generation to lose their shit when the melodica kicks in.

"Dad those dinosaurs look fake as shit, seriously, my video games have better graphics "...

When I bought the blu-ray trilogy, I made my younger cousins sit and watch. They were 10 and 7 and bored out of their mind and didn't really even care when that scene happens. It's one of those once in a generation things

It was inevitable. Oddball has started pulling fewer than 1k players at peak. It works well on...uh...two maps, maybe? Not enough of them to support a full playlist. Same goes for King of the Hill before it was cut, and at least that'll be available in matchmaking now. If they continued down this path, Oddball would eventually be cut and you'd end up with two of the four core objective gametypes unavailable in matchmaking and a third behind the Crimson paywall.

That one gametype per playlist thing is a nice ideal scenario, but we don't have an infinitely large population and map pool to pull from.
agreed. I'm glad they did the whole "one game type per hopper" thing to start, but now that we know what game type works with which map it's time to simplify and optimize playlists to get as many people playing them as possible.

Striker

I liked hopping into the Oddball playlist :(
It is fun to a degree on Haven, but that's it.

-Lack of Rockets. I don't see why having Rockets spawn with 2 shots is not a possibility. Maybe there's something I'm unaware of (ammo perk holding her back?). This is like a classic Halo power weapon, and pretty much invented the idea of rushing at the beginning of a match. I'd like to see it on one or two maps.
There aren't a ton of 4v4 (which were used for 2v2) maps that had a central Rockets location for teams to battle over. The best Doubles maps were Midship and Warlock and one had a Sword to fight for, and the other had Camo. Your best challenge was to win the rifle duel.

Curious to see what they have in store for this Team Objective playlist. Oddball and King work on very few maps, and CTF is pretty much the same way unless they're adding some Forge variants in. I've yet to see what's changed, if anything, for Exile CTF. So if they're using the "Best-Of" stuff from these three gametypes, it might not be too bad. Otherwise... why?

There aren't a ton of 4v4 (which were used for 2v2) maps that had a central Rockets location for teams to battle over. The best Doubles maps were Midship and Warlock and one had a Sword to fight for, and the other had Camo. Your best challenge was to win the rifle duel.

Should have added lack of Sword to the list, too, but perhaps it's a bit OP on small maps with sprint.

Either way, Doubles maps with Rockets (I think they were all in dubs):

Desolation
Beaver Creek/Battle Canyon
Ivory Tower/Reflection
Cold Storage (not central, but it's there)
Assembly
Citadel
Epitaph
Foundry
Ghost Town
Isolation
Narrows
The Pit
Solitary
Powerhouse (not very central, either, but there was definitely a rush)
Anchor 9

Curious to see what they have in store for this Team Objective playlist. Oddball and King work on very few maps, and CTF is pretty much the same way unless they're adding some Forge variants in. I've yet to see what's changed, if anything, for Exile CTF. So if they're using the "Best-Of" stuff from these three gametypes, it might not be too bad. Otherwise... why?

Everyone always forgets Extraction :(

Havok

Team Objective - 4v4 Regicide, KOTH, Oddball. I'm sure this playlist will be super heavily populated without Flag as a mainstay. :|

There is a fake Slayer gametype in a playlist labeled Objective.

What's an Extraction?

Karl2177

Yet sadly the biggest issue with Team Snipers remains. It's such a shame that they overlooked Stability and other Specs in custom game loadouts.

wwm0nkey

I really like how they are seeming to notice instant respawn just didn't work at all. Its being disabled left and right and I couldn't be happier about that.

Easter eggs need hints?

Snipes still needs stability, glad to see it back though.

Some of them I think they've already been found, for example, this one
Mission: Requiem
Provided by: Paul Ehreth, Missions Designer

What is it?
An Appreciation of architecture, and a return to nature
Where is it?
It may be beautiful, but returning here is deadly
It reminds me of this Secret Elite Snipers. Fit the description, IMO.

Halo 4 keeps getting better and better. I still don't understand why this could'nt've been the game we had in November.

Halo 4 Beta.(?)

Wonder if that could actually have changed something, isn't like previous betas did a lot of changes from beta to retail, aside bugs, and small tweaks.

I'm answering my own question...

I'm now wondering. How open do you think 343 is going to be to feedback, once the Throwdown playlist goes online, I'm sure there will be a lot of people asking for CSR to be visible in-game (The difference between before-now, is that once that playlist is online there'll be an appropiate channel of communication where that can be discused, and the most direct way to talk about that with 343). Do you think that they may change that? I actually think is just a matter of time for CSR to be visible in-game, but it won't happen on launch, or even in the first month. (Yeah, that would mean visible CSR would be in May or even afterwards...)

Halo 4 keeps getting better and better. I still don't understand why this could'nt've been the game we had in November.

Crunched for time, building a studio from scratch while developing, inexperienced team when it comes to building Halo, no beta, poor communication channels.

Now they have had time, have learned lessons from their mistakes, have had countless hours of testing, and have improved their methods of communication. All of which has levelled them up toward their 50s. Sustain has been pretty decent. I wish it would have been perfect day 1, and as such I'm no less cautiously optimistic about their future than I was before the game launched, but it's pretty interesting to watch them grow and adapt, just as long as they keep it up.

blamite

Bleh, this sucks. I know a lot of people want a consolidated playlist but personally I loved being able to into a playlist and be guaranteed that I'd be able to play Oddball or Flag or KOTH before it was removed. Pretty disappointing.

Bleh, this sucks. I know a lot of people want a consolidated playlist but personally I loved being able to into a playlist and be guaranteed that I'd be able to play Oddball or Flag or KOTH before it was removed. Pretty disappointing.

As much as I agree with you it's impossible to have that sort of compromise when the populations are already so low per playlist as-is.

It's only Oddball, KOTH, and Regicide. CTF still has it's own playlist. These playlists have been in steady decline save for KOTH, so it makes sense to consolidate to make room for other lists. It's better than taking the gametypes out completely, like they were doing before.

So this happened to me earlier tonight playing with biggy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9lOlqMxxiA

GxTnK.gif

TheOddOne

I love that this is HaloGAF, yet all you all do is bitch about the game, who gives a flying fuck if its got in game ranking, whats the fucking point of that? If you're truly good at the game then prove it, don't rely on a visible rank so you can show off.

I fucking can't stand it, all you do is bitch bitch bitch and say how much 343 screwed the game up. They didn't! Not by a long shot, the story is easily the best since 2 (aside from karen traviss' input) and the multiplayer is quick and fluid. I don't get why everyone has to bitch about each new halo. People did it with Halo 2, they did it with Halo 3, they did it with Reach and now they're doing it with 4. Everyone just loves to bitch about each new halo, and every time theres a new halo its compared to a previous one, WHICH WAS BITCHED ABOUT.......BECAUSE PEOPLE DIDN'T LIKE IT.

HOW DOES THIS MAKE SENSE FOR FUCKS SAKE.
Meltdown your favorite H4 map bruh?
robert-deniro-laughing.gif

First Hollow, now this. Good god.

Top Bottom