• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

J10

Banned
You can't have Stability as an option is custom games.

They could script it into a gametype though. At some point it'd be nice if they gave players access to some form of their scripting tool so we don't have to hope and beg for gametype options that should already be there.

It was inevitable. Oddball has started pulling fewer than 1k players at peak. It works well on...uh...two maps, maybe? Not enough of them to support a full playlist. Same goes for King of the Hill before it was cut, and at least that'll be available in matchmaking now. If they continued down this path, Oddball would eventually be cut and you'd end up with two of the four core objective gametypes unavailable in matchmaking and a third behind the Crimson paywall.

That one gametype per playlist thing is a nice ideal scenario, but we don't have an infinitely large population and map pool to pull from.
I sure hope they rotate the gametypes regularly. If that's the case, it might be my go-to playlist. If they pull a Bungie and have each voting screen be for a map/gametype combo, then maybe not so much.

Team Objective - 4v4 Regicide, KOTH, Oddball. I'm sure this playlist will be super heavily populated without Flag as a mainstay. :|

There is a fake Slayer gametype in a playlist labeled Objective.

What's an Extraction?
I bet it'll be thrown in eventually, once it gets a chance on it's own. IF it gets a chance on it's own, not sure what the hold up is.

Also, Infinity CTF is horrific. Nice to see Exile as a change of pace, but ugh.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I can't wait until there's a reason to use a primary other than the DMR.
I'm at the point where an enemy using a DMR just annoys me.
1) because it destroys every other primary
2) because it is usually bundled with Jetpack/Camo + Boltshot.

Didn't 343 say that everything was unlocked in custom games? Seems really weird that they overlooked specializations.

I've been using BR or lesser guns just to add an artificial challenge for myself. If the other teams proves to be really good then I'll switch to DMR.

IHaveIce

Banned

Because we can't do it in Custom Games, but yeah probably 343 can force it with other tools, would be nice to see. It is a pain to play with flinch after sessions without it.

And I'm also using the BR quite often right now, I really like the BR in doubles on maps like Rail, but I have to play the DMR on maps like Abandon or Dispatch, crossmapping is happening almost the whole time.

I've been using BR or lesser guns just to add an artificial challenge for myself. If the other teams proves to be really good then I'll switch to DMR.
Same with me, I've been using the AR/magnum religiously.
I'm only like 100 kills off AR master, woot woot!

But then, of course, I have my Dongblainer class in my back pocket (DMR, BS, Thruster) for those kids.

Overdoziz

Banned
Shotty Snipers in Team Snipers

Team Regicide in Team Objective

iVx6kOAgyJtR2.gif

I can't wait until there's a reason to use a primary other than the DMR.
I'm at the point where an enemy using a DMR just annoys me.
1) because it destroys every other primary

That's kind of hypocritical since the BR had the same role in Halo 2 & 3. My problems with the DMR is that it's too effective long range. It's isn't a problem on maps like Haven because the BR has many advantages, but anything larger, the DMR is a clear choice. It ruins BTB.

I played a match the other day on Ragnarok and everyone was shooting at each other from the left and right side of the map because it was working. Going anywhere near the middle was a no man's land. It's like this for every large map and it's because of one weapon. They can't reduce the range then it won't different itself from the BR enough to be a separate weapon, so just take it out. I don't think anyone's going to cry about it. No one even asked for it when the BR was announced for Halo 4.

IHaveIce

Banned
That's kind of hypocritical since the BR had the same role in Halo 2 & 3. My problems with the DMR is that it's too effective long range. It's isn't a problem on maps like Haven because the BR has many advantages, but anything larger, the DMR is a clear choice. It ruins BTB.

I played a match the other day on Ragnarok and everyone was shooting at each other from the left and right side of the map because it was working. Going anywhere near the middle was a no man's land. It's like this for every large map and it's because of one weapon. They can't reduce the range then it won't different itself from the BR enough to be a separate weapon, so just take it out. I don't think anyone's going to cry about it. No one even asked for it when the BR was announced for Halo 4.

Yeah, who thought that the DMR would ruin valhalla/ragnarok.

Oh wait, we did.

I'm open to the argument that the DMR's scope doesn't need to be reined it if the aim assist on the weapon were considerably less. Having said that, I'd slap a 2x scope on that weapon just in case. Health in safety.

Madness

How is it hypocritical? The game gives you nearly 7 main weapons to start with and the DMR is the only one you really need out of all them hands down. In Halo 3 you only have AR/BR starts...

While I love the DMR, the way it shoots, single shots, it's just too dominant for Halo sandbox play. The range is just too far. If it had BR range only, and a slightly faster kill time making it better in close to mid encounters against AR users, I'd have no problem with it being the sole rifle in H4.

Another problem, is lack of descope and the stability perk means DMR is just superb at killing people and unless you close the distance, you'll end up dead.

Tawpgun

I know flinch sucks, but unless they work some magic with the TU it needs to be in the game.

Sniper with stability? DMR with stability?

Oh lawdy

I wonder how much we would have shit on this game had there been a public beta

FyreWulff

I'm open to the argument that the DMR's scope doesn't need to be reined it if the aim assist on the weapon were considerably less. Having said that, I'd slap a 2x scope on that weapon just in case. Health in safety.

Still have bullet magnetism. As the 85% and 0% NR and DMR in Reach showed.

Reducing the scope and also lowering it's RoF makes the most sense to balance it.

What if stability kept you in scope but you still flinched, while not having stability made you descope.
That would make it more like a COD perk than fine tuning a car, but I think it is still a better design than what we have now.
Although, with that setup it should be one of the default perks for the noobs who need it rather than a specialization. Meh.
So maybe make stability descope you, but not flinch, and not having stability would keep you in scope, but make you flinch.
Yeah that works. Best of both worlds.
...hannah montana...

I loved it for the first few weeks, so I'm not sure how much a beta would have swayed my opinion.
Especially since the maps would have been the revealed ones, which turned out to be some of the best maps in the game... Haven, Adrift, and Longbow.

Tashi

I don't think I have a problem with Team Regicide going in Objective. I think in the end it will make Team Objective be that playlist where there's not really a bad map-gametype combo. There won't be a need to force mediocre combos just to fill the playlist up. That's another reason why I'm excited for Team Throwdown. It'll be the best of the best.

I don't think I have a problem with Team Regicide going in Objective. I think in the end it will make Team Objective be that playlist where there's not really a bad map-gametype combo. There won't be a need to force mediocre combos just to fill the playlist up. That's another reason why I'm excited for Team Throwdown. It'll be the best of the best.
I'll take Team Regicide over Hot Potato or Speed Flag any day.

u4iX

I know flinch sucks, but unless they work some magic with the TU it needs to be in the game.

Sniper with stability? DMR with stability?

Oh lawdy

Probably equal amounts, we just would have been able to sit on the toilet sooner.

FyreWulff

It's the same shit as VIP in Objective in Halo 3 or 2 Flag Slayer in Objective in Reach. It's like we almost get a straight up objective playlist and then the one fucking car-veering-off-the-road moment slayer bone is thrown to the slayer base that don't want to play the list anyway.

I get that the one gametype::eek:ne playlist ship has sailed, but Team Regicide doesn't belong in Objective.

Same thing happened in other H3 and Reach playlists too. In Action Sack, H3 had Tug of War which was a serious BR start gametype, and Reach AS suddenly got Shotty Snipers out of nowhere because I guess Shotty Snipes had to be stuck somewhere in matchmaking.

Blueblur1

Reducing the DMR scope isn't a bad idea. IMO, the 3X scope and the lack of 'unscoping' are what really make it a powerhouse. Flinch keeps it from being a total wrecking machine but it doesn't function as well as unscoping did, IMO. And I know Stability makes flinching non-existent so it automatically makes it sound awesome but incorporating it into every game type will yield bad results. The more powerful rifles would then overtake other weapons in most combat scenarios. That wouldn't be fun.

I'm also extremely happy to read that instant respawn is being removed from Infinity Doubles and the other objective game types. Hopefully this is the beginning of its demise. Team Objective sounds great, too! But I think CTF should be rolled into that hopper as well. But I'm still glad that they're finally consolidating multiple game types into single playlists. It just makes sense: Less playlists with more variety equals more players in each playlist.

I often wonder why they didn't do this in the first place. Maybe they thought the CoD fans would need a watered down playlist selection (to accommodate the lowest common denominator) or preferred a simpler selection? Or maybe they had CSR in mind and thought that it would be best measured on a per game type level? Regardless of the reasons, I'm glad that they're finally listening and implementing feedback.

I'm sure we've all noticed that they're moving back towards the way Bungie had everything organized. Hopefully this is not lost on them. Bungie managed Halo online play the way they did because it made sense and yielded the best experience (barring ridiculous game type map combos and gaffes like the Banshee on Ascension Team Rifles).

Halo 4 matchmaking is finally improving.

Madness

What about increasing bloom (gasp) on the dmr? The br would become more reliable up close and the dmr would still be powerful from long range provided that you pace your shots.

What? You can't be serious? You'd rather they add in more bloom as opposed to other fixes? Reduce the auto aim, the bullet magnetism, and increase rate of fire rather than add increased bloom.

u4iX

Reducing the DMR scope isn't a bad idea. IMO, the 3X scope and the lack of 'unscoping' are what really make it a powerhouse. Flinch keeps it from being a total wrecking machine but it doesn't function as well as unscoping did, IMO. And I know Stability makes flinching non-existent so it automatically makes it sound awesome but incorporating it into every game type will yield bad results. The more powerful rifles would then overtake other weapons in most combat scenarios. That wouldn't be fun.

I'm also extremely happy to read that instant respawn is being removed from Infinity Doubles and the other objective game types. Hopefully this is the beginning of its demise. Team Objective sounds great, too! But I think CTF should be rolled into that hopper as well. But I'm still glad that they're finally consolidating multiple game types into single playlists. It just makes sense: Less playlists with more variety equals more players in each playlist.

I often wonder why they didn't do this in the first place. Maybe they thought the CoD fans would need a watered down playlist selection (to accommodate the lowest common denominator) or preferred a simpler selection? Or maybe they had CSR in mind and thought that it would be best measured on a per game type level? Regardless of the reasons, I'm glad that they're finally listening and implementing feedback.

I'm sure we've all noticed that they're moving back towards the way Bungie had everything organized. Hopefully this is not lost on them. Bungie managed Halo online play the way they did because it made sense and yielded the best experience (barring ridiculous game type map combos and gaffes like the Banshee on Ascension Team Rifles).

Halo 4 matchmaking is finally improving.

#SixMonthsAndAMovie

Tashi

I'll take Team Regicide over Hot Potato or Speed Flag any day.

That's a no brainer

It's the same shit as VIP in Objective in Halo 3 or 2 Flag Slayer in Objective in Reach. It's like we almost get a straight up objective playlist and then the one fucking car-veering-off-the-road moment slayer bone is thrown to the slayer base that don't want to play the list anyway.

I get that the one gametype::eek:ne playlist ship has sailed, but Team Regicide doesn't belong in Objective.

Well I think if Team Objective can be filled properly without "filler" map-gametype Combos then I agree, that would be the best way to go. But if they want to throw in another Complex Oddball (just an example of quality) then why not throw in a Team Regicide? BUT, I do think there are enough 4v4 Objective gametypes in Halo 4. It's time to unleash Extraction.

Team Regicide is the best gametype in Halo 4.
It's certainly the best 4v4 gametype, but Doubles Pro is really fantastic.

What about increasing bloom (gasp) on the dmr? The br would become more reliable up close and the dmr would still be powerful from long range provided that you pace your shots.
You mean decreasing the rate of fire? Eh, I'd rather keep it where it is in that vein and reduce the scope range. I don't have any problems with the gun at BR range.

Tashi (or anyone else who knows), do you know if any forge maps are going into TO?

Tashi

Tashi (or anyone else who knows), do you know if any forge maps are going into TO?

I actually don't know. If I had to guess, I would say yes. Just due to the fact that there's still a serious lack of 4v4 maps in the game.

Shutout Ball no radar anyone? *drool*

FyreWulff

That's a no brainer

Well I think if Team Objective can be filled properly without "filler" map-gametype Combos then I agree, that would be the best way to go. But if they want to throw in another Complex Oddball (just an example of quality) then why not throw in a Team Regicide? BUT, I do think there are enough 4v4 Objective gametypes in Halo 4. It's time to unleash Extraction.

AFIAK Extraction is bugged to shit, hence it's limited deployment in matchmaking at the moment

Overdoziz

Banned
They shouldn't add in extra gametypes just to "fill up" a playlist. Just stick to shit that works. There's only one map on which Oddball works well? Only use that map for that gametype. Having variety for the sake of variety sucks if it means that the average quality of matches goes down. Bungie has always been so afraid of only having a limited offer of gametype and map combinations that they threw all kinds of shit in every playlist, just so people don't play the same 3 gametypes over and over again. 343 did the same shit at launch with having 2-Flag on Abandon or KotH on Adrift even though those maps are not designed around those gametypes even in the slightest. All just so they can justify having a separate playlist for those gametypes. Quality over quantity, please.

Tashi

They shouldn't add in extra gametypes just to "fill up" a playlist. Just stick to shit that works. There's only one map on which Oddball works well? Only use that map for that gametype. Having variety for the sake of variety sucks if it means that the average quality of matches goes down. Bungie has always been so afraid of only having a limited offer of gametype and map combinations that they threw all kinds of shit in every playlist, just so people don't play the same 3 gametypes over and over again. 343 did the same shit at launch with having 2-Flag on Abandon or KotH on Adrift even though those maps are not designed around those gametypes even in the slightest. All just so they can justify having a separate playlist for those gametypes. Quality of quantity, please.

Then we agree.

Madness

Team Regicide is a good gametype though. I'll be the first to say it, 343 seems too finally get what works and what doesn't. Removing instant respawns in doubles is great.

Doubles Pro with my cousin is the most fun I've had in a LONG time. Can't wait for Team Throwdown. I'd still prefer Team Slayer for ranked/competitive games and social slayer for casual.

Add in a fun and way improved spartan ops to end the first season, and it's nice to see they're taking the feedback to heart.

Moa

I might be reading this wrong - but does this mean Team Snipers will not have instant respawn?

I played the original playlist like, once, so I don't know how it was back then.

Fuchsdh

Team Regicide is a good gametype though. I'll be the first to say it, 343 seems too finally get what works and what doesn't. Removing instant respawns in doubles is great.

Doubles Pro with my cousin is the most fun I've had in a LONG time. Can't wait for Team Throwdown. I'd still prefer Team Slayer for ranked/competitive games and social slayer for casual.

Add in a fun and way improved spartan ops to end the first season, and it's nice to see they're taking the feedback to heart.

No one can fault 343i for not listening to feedback. Whether they take it or not is another question, but they've never been "shut up I don't wanna hear it I'm amazing". Give them credit where credit is due (which doesnt mean you have to be a slrper.)

Anyone have any ideas about what Easter eggs they're referring to?

They shouldn't add in extra gametypes just to "fill up" a playlist. Just stick to shit that works. There's only one map on which Oddball works well? Only use that map for that gametype. Having variety for the sake of variety sucks if it means that the average quality of matches goes down. Bungie has always been so afraid of only having a limited offer of gametype and map combinations that they threw all kinds of shit in every playlist, just so people don't play the same 3 gametypes over and over again. 343 did the same shit at launch with having 2-Flag on Abandon or KotH on Adrift even though those maps are not designed around those gametypes even in the slightest. All just so they can justify having a separate playlist for those gametypes. Quality of quantity, please.

Damn fucking right.

That's why we loved Premium battle, it had a great selection of Maps+gametypes.

No one can fault 343i for not listening to feedback. Whether they take it or not is another question, but they've never been "shut up I don't wanna hear it I'm amazing". Give them credit where credit is due (which doesnt mean you have to be a slrper.)

Anyone have any ideas about what Easter eggs they're referring to?
I think the mission designer referred to this Easter egg: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AQzBfYe4EWc

No one found the secret weapon which should be unlocked after surviving the encounter.

Overdoziz

Banned
Ideas for Team Snipers:

• Limited ammo, place Sniper Rifles on the map to discourage camping
  • Place a Binary Rifle spawn on the map for people to fight over
  • No BTB maps
  • No Shotty Snipers

Bravo, feel free to PM me for more brilliant advice.

Tashi

So now instead of Doubles Pro being the only gametype without Instant Respawn, by the end of the month we'll have 4 entire playlists without Instant Respawn

-Doubles
-Snipers
-Throwdown
-Objective

Fotos

Ideas for Team Snipers:

• Limited ammo, place Sniper Rifles on the map to discourage camping
  • Place a Binary Rifle spawn on the map for people to fight over
  • No BTB maps
  • No Shotty Snipers

Bravo, feel free to PM me for more brilliant advice.

Don't forget Beam Rifle pickups around the map like in Halo 3. Or just make it a secondary.

Top Bottom