• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Fuchsdh

Yes, when a HaloGAF meltdown commences, the wolves feast on the sure entertainment.
IXgKH.gif

Damn what is that from?

Fotos

I love that this is HaloGAF, yet all you all do is bitch about the game, who gives a flying fuck if its got in game ranking, whats the fucking point of that? If you're truly good at the game then prove it, don't rely on a visible rank so you can show off.

I fucking can't stand it, all you do is bitch bitch bitch and say how much 343 screwed the game up. They didn't! Not by a long shot, the story is easily the best since 2 (aside from karen traviss' input) and the multiplayer is quick and fluid. I don't get why everyone has to bitch about each new halo. People did it with Halo 2, they did it with Halo 3, they did it with Reach and now they're doing it with 4. Everyone just loves to bitch about each new halo, and every time theres a new halo its compared to a previous one, WHICH WAS BITCHED ABOUT.......BECAUSE PEOPLE DIDN'T LIKE IT.

HOW DOES THIS MAKE SENSE FOR FUCKS SAKE.

Right /rantover.

Looking forward to seeing what happens in season 9, love how palmer doesn't wear a helmet when dealing with prometheans, yet she dons it, to do what? Hmmm? Assasinate a 60+ year old woman.

Cough cough

We need ranks...

Nebula

I dont know what to think about them publishing maps like these which have workarounds in place that turn off the generated lighting on all of the pieces.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get across to be honest. I don't see an issue with using normal in game methods to get around light generation. Not every map needs it and sometimes it can cause issues the map creator doesn't want occurring such as making an area too dark or some pieces staying lit despite them being in a dark area.

Not sure why you would say that bypassing light generation is enough to say it shouldn't have been placed in matchmaking by 343. I think it's a great map overall and deserves to be in Doubles.

Thanks. I definitely agree with you. Originally I wrote the article months before Halo 4 came out; if I'd posted it then I would have called the Storm 100%. Sadly we haven't gotten a lot more on the Arbiter's side of things, and it looks like Traviss is going to focus on the humans/Venezia part of the universe for the final book. There's just so much that can still be covered in the universe, it's amazing that two book series and a game trilogy can't address it.

I imagine this is mostly intentional. Even though there were a lot of Covenant in Halo 4, there hasn't really been a whole lot of development of the faction outside of Jul 'Mdama and Gek in Spartan Ops, and perhaps that terminal, but even then there isn't a whole lot. I think they made a conscious decision to keep the Arbiter's faction out until the next game and focus on the events of Requiem and the goodbye story between Cortana and Chief. We'll see how it pans out, but if we never get to go to Sanghelios, I'll be pretty disappointed. :/

Forerunner Hardlight Halberd. Believe.

I'd be ok with this. Always wanted to see the Honor Guard staff thing as a weapon.

I imagine this is mostly intentional. Even though there were a lot of Covenant in Halo 4, there hasn't really been a whole lot of development of the faction outside of Jul 'Mdama and Gek in Spartan Ops, and perhaps that terminal, but even then there isn't a whole lot. I think they made a conscious decision to keep the Arbiter's faction out until the next game and focus on the events of Requiem and the goodbye story between Cortana and Chief. We'll see how it pans out, but if we never get to go to Sanghelios, I'll be pretty disappointed. :/

I'd be ok with this. Always wanted to see the Honor Guard staff thing as a weapon.

Oh my god, just realized.

High-ranking Elites could be pimped out in customized or tampered with Promethean tech and wield halberds for weapons to replace Hammer Chieftans.

OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDD

Ill just take Hammer Chieftans back.

nope.gif

Tawpgun

Oh my god, just realized.

High-ranking Elites could be pimped out in customized or tampered with Promethean tech and wield halberds for weapons to replace Hammer Chieftans.

OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDD

Would be cool seeing a new class of enemies basically be Promethean enhanced elites.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Yes I know this, what I mean is, the guns are no different in game, I should have clarified that better, they work exactly the same as their counterparts in MW2/3 with no difference.

They even replicated the broken SPAS-12 from MW2 and 3, its called the Remington, and its apparantly a shotgun sniper hybrid

All they did was take the old weapons, slap a new skin on them and change the name.

lol...

The amount of stupidity in your posts is amazing.

The AN-94 is nothing like an AK-47/74.

Being set in the future it quite obviously wouldn't be using the current tech M4s and such but modernised versions etc.

I thought it was funny
Theo joke was bad though

The first two minutes of that video are essentially the "LOL, videogame nerd who has no life!" bit that has been done hundreds of times before.

I wasn't kidding about that congressional reporter part of my post. This tweet is funnier than anything I've ever seen Conan say or do.

TCKaos

The reason Palmer puts her helmet on now is because it dehumanizes her. It takes away her face.

Also it was kind of a spur of the moment thing on the Infinity. She wasn't gearing up for an Op like she is now.

Computer

Halogaf has every right to bitch until the enter key breaks. We were all once lost souls of a hype train that eased the pain of Reach and duped us into spending 100's on another bad game. So until we get a better game that is worth our money let the bitching commence.

Fuchsdh

The reason Palmer puts her helmet on now is because it dehumanizes her. It takes away her face.

Also it was kind of a spur of the moment thing on the Infinity. She wasn't gearing up for an Op like she is now.

I dunno if 343i was continuing that thread, but it's a huge part of Reach's themes (and a part I think was pretty successful part too.)

I could never get the hang of it. Aim assist was really weird on it.

They should swap the aim assist on the LR and the DMR.

To me it feels like the LR has a lot of auto aim assist. How does Auto Aim assist rank in this game? I know DMR has the most, what about the BR, Carbine, and Light Rifle.

DeadNames

Banned
To me it feels like the LR has a lot of auto aim assist. How does Auto Aim assist rank in this game? I know DMR has the most, what about the BR, Carbine, and Light Rifle.

Eh it might just be the fact that the three projectiles fire so slow and the fact you need to hit ALL your shots for a 5 shot.

Computron

I'm not sure what you're trying to get across to be honest. I don't see an issue with using normal in game methods to get around light generation. Not every map needs it and sometimes it can cause issues the map creator doesn't want occurring such as making an area too dark or some pieces staying lit despite them being in a dark area.

Not sure why you would say that bypassing light generation is enough to say it shouldn't have been placed in matchmaking by 343. I think it's a great map overall and deserves to be in Doubles.
First, read my second post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47404456&postcount=13696

I never said that. My point was that these kind of flaws should be fixed before you publish them onto your MM. It just looks bad. They tout a new feature for the 3rd iteration of their map editor and end up pushing out maps that don't even make proper use of it. It makes me wonder how/if they test these maps.

My hope is that their will be some TU fixes for forge to alleviate these problems and that the playlist designers will be more careful. However, if reach was any indication, I shouldn't get my hopes up.

I don't see an issue with using normal in game methods to get around light generation.

I hardly see how this workaround is a "normal in game method". AFAIK, Nokyard was the first who figured out how to do it, and that was about a month or two after the game came out. Hell, most people still don't know how to do it or that it even exists. The guy who made this map doesn't even seem to understand how to use it. There's not reason to turn off the lighting everywhere, there are better approaches to fix the problems you just mentioned. He also seemingly forgot to turn off the lighting on a handful of pieces that end up looking inconsistent and entirely out of place. That looks rather sloppy.

Either way, my point wasn't that you should never use this technique. (which is why I emphasized the fact that this map unfortunately used it on all (er... most) pieces for some reason) Quite the opposite. It is a useful workaround if you use it in the right places.

Not every map needs it and sometimes it can cause issues the map creator doesn't want occurring such as making an area too dark or some pieces staying lit despite them being in a dark area.

Every map needs lighting. They should just avoid having bad/flat lighting.

Generated lighting is practically the sole new feature of Forge. For starters, we shouldn't have to invent workarounds to turn off things like lighting. And there is no reason to completely turn it off unless your map is not performing well, at which point it shouldn't be in MM.
Even then, there are better ways to do it, and this map just seems sloppy.

And in the end, guess what? I just played the map 15 minutes ago in MM and it looks as though they have already updated the map and turned all the lighting back on.

Ghazi

I honestly feel no excitement whatsoever for the Bulletin tonight because I know that it'll probably be filled with garbage.

Karl2177

There's bugs with the networking and lighting generation. If you join a game in progress, the lighting may or may not generate on some pieces. If you are watching a film of a forge map, it won't do the render lighting phase. If there are any black screens, lighting and forge pieces in general become all kinds of fucked up. Any one of those(well, not the theatre one) could have happened during your match. I highly doubt that they would put out a fix for a single map in the middle of the week.

FyreWulff

It should be noted that just because you forge a map a certain way, does not mean it will be 1:1 in matchmaking, or behave the same way. There's a conversion process they have to do to maps and strange shit can occur during it.

Top Bottom