• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Blueblur1

So now instead of Doubles Pro being the only gametype without Instant Respawn, by the end of the month we'll have 4 entire playlists without Instant Respawn

-Doubles
-Snipers
-Throwdown
-Objective

Team Regicide in Objective will have instant respawns, no?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Team Regicide in Objective will have instant respawns, no?

Oh yea I guess you're right. They haven't said whether they'll change it or not. I'm sure for consistency's sake that they will.

edit: New Podcast section in the Community Tab on Waypoint. Very nice looking.

willow ve

Ideas for Team Snipers:

• Limited ammo, place Sniper Rifles on the map to discourage camping
  • Place a Binary Rifle spawn on the map for people to fight over
  • No BTB maps
  • No Shotty Snipers

Bravo, feel free to PM me for more brilliant advice.

With the amount of despawning of weapons I can't see limited ammo being a feasible scenario for Snipers. They can promote movement through a Binary Rifle spawn or Beam Rifle spawns, but don't give me limited ammo (which essentially punishes people for staying alive).

MaxRealflugel

Neo Member
What are these?

URL]

Striker

Because you can't pick up weapons and are stuck with the one you have?

Limited ammo in those playlists is a terrible idea, especially in SWAT.
I take it you never played in Snipers before Halo 3? Then again you also thought Guardian was a better map than Midship, so why am I surprised.

With the amount of despawning of weapons I can't see limited ammo being a feasible scenario for Snipers. They can promote movement through a Binary Rifle spawn or Beam Rifle spawns, but don't give me limited ammo (which essentially punishes people for staying alive).
Sigh. What? A good player is surely capable of moving around the map and picking up extra ammo either from a placed spawn or from killing an enemy. It's not super hard. Unlimited ammo is one reason why Snipers has gone down the drain in quality.

I take it you never played in Snipers before Halo 3? Then again you also thought Guardian was a better map than Midship, so why am I surprised.
"Oh, you like something about Halo 3 more than Halo 2? You silly little thing. I shall not bother with you further. Oh, the things I put up with..."

Sigh. What? A good player is surely capable of moving around the map and picking up extra ammo either from a placed spawn or from killing an enemy. It's not super hard. Unlimited ammo is one reason why Snipers has gone down the drain in quality.

It would've been kind of hard to play Snipers before H3, seeing as that was my introduction to the series.

Well, actually, it is super hard in H4 given how people's weapons despawn before they hit the ground, as he mentioned.

Shadders

Why would removing DMR from personal loadouts be the best solution? We're about 3 weeks away from the TU that will probably balance out the starting weapons (or at least attempt to).

Because I like the DMR, I think it's fun to use; the problem with the DMR is that everyone can (and does) spawn with one. I just concerned that in changing the DMR for balance it won't be as fun to use any more.

willow ve

Limited ammo forces players into situations over which they have no control. A "good player" doesn't needlessly run out across open ground to pickup leftover ammo from where the other players have been killed (usually due to it being a bad place to be on the map). On top of that the weapons despawn so quickly in 4 that unless you kill someone in close quarters you really can't be guaranteed that you'll get anything from their corpse.

I'm all for including mechanics that force players to move around the map and play all out slayer - but that should come about from good map design (ie: two or three routes and lines of sight to each position - no god tier camping spots) as opposed to artificially putting a player at an actual disadvantage due to running out of ammo.

Even with the ammo perk in BTB I probably run out of all ammo (both weapons) at least once every other match. The only way to get more ammo is to basically sprint out into the open and run over dead bodies in the pure hope the weapons haven't despawned. It's actually less frustrating to just charge the enemy and hope to get a lucky melee kill (basically committing suicide JUST to get more ammo).

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Because I like the DMR, I think it's fun to use; the problem with the DMR is that everyone can (and does) spawn with one. I just concerned that in changing the DMR for balance it won't be as fun to use any more.

You don't necessarily have to change the DMR to balance the starting weapons. You can always buff the rest of the guns.

Overdoziz

Banned
Limited ammo forces players into situations over which they have no control. A "good player" doesn't needlessly run out across open ground to pickup leftover ammo from where the other players have been killed (usually due to it being a bad place to be on the map). On top of that the weapons despawn so quickly in 4 that unless you kill someone in close quarters you really can't be guaranteed that you'll get anything from their corpse.

I'm all for including mechanics that force players to move around the map and play all out slayer - but that should come about from good map design (ie: two or three routes and lines of sight to each position - no god tier camping spots) as opposed to artificially putting a player at an actual disadvantage due to running out of ammo.

Even with the ammo perk in BTB I probably run out of all ammo (both weapons) at least once every other match. The only way to get more ammo is to basically sprint out into the open and run over dead bodies in the pure hope the weapons haven't despawned. It's actually less frustrating to just charge the enemy and hope to get a lucky melee kill (basically committing suicide JUST to get more ammo).
I guess unlimited ammo is fine as long as there's no BTB maps in the playlist.

Striker

It would've been kind of hard to play Snipers before H3, seeing as that was my introduction to the series.

Well, actually, it is super hard in H4 given how people's weapons despawn before they hit the ground, as he mentioned.
You've become accustomed to bad settings in playlists. Not going to fault you, but just laying it out there.

Radar being on and unlimited ammo are just two of the reasons the gametype has gotten bad.

I'm all for including mechanics that force players to move around the map and play all out slayer - but that should come about from good map design (ie: two or three routes and lines of sight to each position - no god tier camping spots) as opposed to artificially putting a player at an actual disadvantage due to running out of ammo. ...
Of course, we're just underlying how poor large, open maps are for Snipers. Not going to disagree there. There's been so many instances of players sitting in one spot the entire team and just wrecking the spawn zones. This was notorious for Valhalla and, before they changed up the spawns on it, Standoff. A total mess. They should be the focus for smaller maps and particular mid-size maps can work really well also.

Madness

I've always wanted to play a snipers pro. Limited ammo, radar on but people only show when a shot is fired etc.

By placing snipers on weapon spawns, you promote map movement, limited ammo means people can't just pick a hiding spit and just stay there till death. They'll actively move around and the best sniper will get the most no scope kills while moving etc. The shot only radar would be good to weed out the people who still camp. Now it's not like cod where you have a view over the whole map and see exactly where a person shot, but if your close, you can see where a sniper is. And if you're far you can sort of see a direction etc.

Iv only played 2 games of doubles so far. I didn't mind it with instant respawn but I played a game of Doubles CTF earlier and was very impressed. Felt much more like classic Halo. I still think AA's should be relegated to only being usable when you have a kill streak.

Boltshot needs to be removed from the Pre-set loadout's

Experience I'm having with this scaled back halo is much better.

We only had to wait two years for that page. :)

Tried to record one last week, but couldn't get everyone in the room. Looking to record another when I'm back in the office.

Hey it's perfect timing to have a sparkcast discussing those changes coming in the TU.

Just a suggestion :p

Fuchsdh

We only had to wait two years for that page. :)

Tried to record one last week, but couldn't get everyone in the room. Looking to record another when I'm back in the office.
Sounds good. Hearing some dulcet tones explain the TU in otherwise stultifying detail would be awesome. :)

Booties

Banned
Hopefully 343 learned that you can't just change everything because you think you are so right and so great. Glad to see instant respawn going away.

JackHerer

So my Halo 4 disk got scratched when my xbox fell over. I was worried it would be done for good but the only thing that it affected is Steitzer's audio. It just isn't there. No other sounds are affected as far as I can tell.

The silence is kinda nice.

Edit: derp

Booties

Banned
Is spartan ops free? The other day I watched the videos but I wasn't able to play them. I'm talking about episode 6 and up.

Top Bottom