• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

broony

I wouldn't hold your breath. I have extremely high expectations for Destiny, but I don't think it's going to be an arena shooter. All signs point towards a game emphasizing a large, possibly open-world cooperative experience. I'm not even sold that there will be a competitive MP mode.

Exactly. Last thing I expect Destiny to be is a competitive shooter. I'm expecting something like mmo coop raiding parties mixed with shadow run style gameplay, but who knows.

What's a good speed for you? In terms of minimum kill time and average kill time.

For example, Reach's DMR killed in 1.6 seconds, but the average kill time with bloom in mind was like 2.5s. Contrast that with CE. Halo CE's minimum kill time was 0.6 seconds but the average kill time was probably around 1.3 seconds.

I dont really mean kill time. I mean

-faster grenade tosses
-quicker reloads for rifles/pistols everything heavy can be a little longer (same they are now) so players can actually do something. Maybe get a working YY.
-quicker jump and land time
-and a strafe that can break auto-aim occasionally, seriously is strafing ever useful in Halo 4?

But I dont even mean in terms of gameplay the game itself should be crisp, no floaty long menus with stuttering loading , long black screens before games, MM taking 4 minutes to get you a game, JiP taking the whole game to work. None of the shit is crisp, its all slow floaty bloated shit. Even Waypoint. I just dont have the much time anymore, I might get addicted if I could get a few games in but everytime I play I get like three games in and its already been 5 hours.

Now I go over to Blops II and I'm literally controlling my game within a game in like 20 seconds.

I will.

Please give.

Hugs-Glitters-10.gif

Duji

I dont really mean kill time. I mean

-faster grenade tosses
-quicker reloads for rifles/pistols everything heavy can be a little longer (same they are now) so players can actually do something. Maybe get a working YY.
-quicker jump and land time
-and a strafe that can break auto-aim occasionally, seriously is strafing ever useful in Halo 4?

But I dont even mean in terms of gameplay the game itself should be crisp, no floaty long menus with stuttering loading , long black screens before games, MM taking 4 minutes to get you a game, JiP taking the whole game to work. None of the shit is crisp, its all slow floaty bloated shit. Even Waypoint. I just dont have the much time anymore, I might get addicted if I could get a few games in but everytime I play I get like three games in and its already been 5 hours.

Now I go over to Blops II and I'm literally controlling my game within a game in like 20 seconds.
The best way to empower the individual is to have faster kill times.

With nothing else changed, having a faster grenade toss wouldn't be that great. There should be a risk reward element to throwing a grenade. So many times I've pretended to back out of a fight to have the opposing player throw a nade. I quickly hop back in the fight to see him do the full arm swing and then get a two shot advantage on him. If we increased the kill time and the movement speed, then I wouldn't be against lowering the nade toss time.

The best way to empower the individual is to have faster kill times.

With nothing else changed, having a faster grenade toss wouldn't be that great. There should be a risk reward element to throwing a grenade. So many times I've pretended to back out of a fight to have the opposing player throw a nade. I quickly hop back in the fight to see him do the full arm swing and then get a two shot advantage on him. If we increased the kill time and the movement speed, then I wouldn't be against lowering the nade toss time.

I think the kill times are fine, I'm not even talking like a supersonic nade toss I'm talking making each action slightly less time consuming, also yes movement speed needs to be upped but maps need to be smaller. Theres a difference between someone moving slow on a small map than fast on a large map. You dont need to make people move at stupid fast speeds you just need to make better maps.

Fuck BTB maps stop focusing on that shit its so annoying 343, yes that playlist was large in Halo 4 because thats the only playlist with the correct # of maps. Make the small and medium maps more numerous.

FyreWulff

I wouldn't really hold Halo Reach against Bungie, it was a game for a contract more than love.

If they had done it just for a contract, they wouldn't have completely ripped apart the engine and rebuilt it with massive improvements instead of just making new content in the Halo 3 engine like Microsoft originally told them to do for Reach.

I mean there's going to be elements of "we're going for freedom now", but they certainly didn't act like they just had to check a box then bounce

It needs to be. The arena shooter needs a comeback; if anyone could do it, it's Bungie.

Just imagine, a Halo-style shooter made by one of the best devs in gaming with a ton of development time. What I wouldn't give for a proper multiplayer shooter these days.

No please, I want something new or at least refreshing not play another Halo.

EDIT: Top Page, to Destiny we go.

Karl2177

If they had done it just for a contract, they wouldn't have completely ripped apart the engine and rebuilt it with massive improvements instead of just making new content in the Halo 3 engine like Microsoft originally told them to do for Reach.

I mean there's going to be elements of "we're going for freedom now", but they certainly didn't act like they just had to check a box then bounce

I tend to look at that stuff as, "how far can we push the 360 while still having it playable?" It also seemed to be a case of "what can we throw in there that we've always wanted to try?"

FyreWulff

I tend to look at that stuff as, "how far can we push the 360 while still having it playable?" It also seemed to be a case of "what can we throw in there that we've always wanted to try?"

They also supported Reach with a ton of new post-ship gametypes and quite honestly supported Defiant better than 343 did when they controlled matchmaking.

All those Bungie Reach playlists left on the floor when the handoff occured :(

Striker

Bungie made Halo:CE and 2 guys. It's okay.
Bungie now are a huge team and look quite different than what they were in 2001 and 2004. Still very capable of making great games, but they have more people and substantially different people running the show now.

Also that EA thread on the Gaming side is pretty crummy news.

I would guess Destiny is something like Planetside 2 and Borderlands having a baby who ultimately got adopted by Shadowrun and was babysat by Halo and Marathon.

Also, I need help with weapon names for instruments of war. The two placeholder titles are currently the Huntshot and the Nova Cannon.

The Huntshot is green, radioactive, fizzly. Standard fire is a Halo 2 Brute Shot with a 6-round belt, but a charged shot will fire a Halo Reach/4-era Fuel Rod Cannon round eating up two shots in the clip. Think of it as a space-age Mountain Dew dispenser.

The Nova Cannon is the anti-vehicle love child of the Plasma Launcher and Incineration Cannon. It handles like a Plasma Launcher but with a payout more akin to the Incineration Cannon. Basically look at it like a Promethean Potato Gun with potatoes that hatch into fireworks.

Any ideas?

Karl2177

They also supported Reach with a ton of new post-ship gametypes and quite honestly supported Defiant better than 343 did when they controlled matchmaking.

All those Bungie Reach playlists left on the floor when the handoff occured :(
343's management with their own game hasn't been great, so I can see why it wasn't good with a game that wasn't even theirs.

Also that EA thread on the Gaming side is pretty crummy news.

I was hoping to get rid of this crummy box and never look back. If I'm forced to keep it so I can play some of my favorite titles, I'm gonna be disappointed.

Duji

I think the kill times are fine, I'm not even talking like a supersonic nade toss I'm talking making each action slightly less time consuming, also yes movement speed needs to be upped but maps need to be smaller. Theres a difference between someone moving slow on a small map than fast on a large map. You dont need to make people move at stupid fast speeds you just need to make better maps.

Fuck BTB maps stop focusing on that shit its so annoying 343, yes that playlist was large in Halo 4 because thats the only playlist with the correct # of maps. Make the small and medium maps more numerous.

The kill times aren't that great.

They make team shooting the only viable option to win team games. Look at the MLG teams. The best teams have the best team-shot. When you design a game so that team-shooting is pretty much the only way to win, you really lower the number of possibilities of what can happen in the game and also consequently weaken the individual. The only time an individual can flank properly is when that player has a power weapon. This is because flanking with the slow killing DMR gives the enemy team so much time to react once you start firing some shots -- long kill times don't punish players with slower reaction times and consequently lowers the skill gap.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I hope Destiny brings Armor Lock back

"It's super overpowered, but it's awesome."

Destiny Freeze is the new Armor Lock.

EDIT: Also, on the back compat issue...
No way MS kills Halo 4 and the new Gears this early. If they don't sell new versions of them I see no way that they kill BC.

ElRenoRaven

Glad to see the DBO forums up and running. Louis Wu and co deserve props for getting them up and running. Can't wait to see the front page when they get it done.

IHaveIce

Banned
I signed up to talk with Frankie and look what happened!

What happened?
He decided not to visit this thread that often anymore because of people who aren't able to criticise a game in a polite tone.
And some posters let's call them .. Overshnoviz and Shnuice decide to ignore even every good news and only post in this thread when it is time to bash something?

/ You know I'm joking, I'm well aware that you guys also did some quality posts <3

Top Bottom