• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

I'm gonna be honest here, I think I'm actually more of a Halo fan than a Bungie fan. Save for tidbits in Marathon like the Fusion Pistol and ONI for the Ghost in the Shell analogues, I've never been able to stomach some of their design philosophies artistically. It's weird, save for one or two bits so far, Destiny doesn't look to be any different.

What's wrong with me? :(

Computron

Tell 'em why you mad, son.

w4NcJLO.jpg

In this case, they're doing right by their community in a situation where I can't imagine Microsoft loves the idea of keeping a server running for such a low population (EA sure as hell drops servers at the first sign of trouble). I see where you're coming from, but it sounds like bsangel put a lot of effort into making this happen, and that's something I can definitely respect.

You're right, it's good that it's still going to be playable for now. (More .GIFs!)

Though, I don't think the EA example compares that well. It's not a yearly sports title. Even then, It's also not like this is part of some antiquated system that is stifling future systems/upgrades (Like original XBOX Live and Halo 2). Or at least they're not communicating that as a problem, GFWL is not a problem AFAIK. They also aren't tasked with hosting the Dedicated servers, but rather pushing the server list to a fraction of the ~20 players that are on at any given moment. My point is that this is a bit ridiculous. It is probably some dusty old forgotten PC in some corner as you and others have said. I agree with Fyre, they need a sustain team or position.

Either way, it looks like Gears and Shadowrun will outlive Microsoft's own lead GFWL title.

I wonder what Destiny will be like with Bungie gone indie? How will Activision compare to Microsoft?

Sunday Destiny
Majestic Monday + Team Throwdown
TUesday
PS4 Wednesday
Halo Bulletin Thursday
Bungie Weekly Update returns Friday

MOTHER OF GOD

yXZ0RJF.png

Plus, we get to work on the ARG all week, if that's your thing.

I'm gonna be honest here, I think I'm actually more of a Halo fan than a Bungie fan. Save for tidbits in Marathon like the Fusion Pistol and ONI for the Ghost in the Shell analogues, I've never been able to stomach some of their design philosophies artistically. It's weird, save for one or two bits so far, Destiny doesn't look to be any different.

What's wrong with me? :(

All we got so far is some concept art. If history is any indication, Bungie is capable of some excellent and varied art styles. The Covies and Forerunner aesthetics are something entirely different and unique, and I would imagine they will have that variety in Destiny with the various factions, and the aliens which I dont think have been revealed/leaked. I do somewhat agree though, old Bungie games had somewhat dated aesthetic, but Bungie has grown and changed lot since then, as well as people's tastes.

Personally I am stoked.

Gui_PT

So what's this about Halo Waypoint codes?

Wait, I misunderstood Gui, I thought this was the silentium stuff.... I think.

I'm going to consider the Destiny reveal to be a late birthday present.

Yeah my bad, I'm way behind on things.

Bungie wants to beat Sony's reveal!

Nazgul11

No, not necessarily at launch, but it's on PS3; post I quoted made it sound like it was up in smoke. It's not.

Bungie staffed up for PS3 development, the decision to release a PS3 version is set in stone.

Yeah you're right. I think he was referring to the part in the leaked document that said they were looking into it, and that they didn't necessarily have to release it.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Destiny Destiny Destiny
Destiny Destiny Destiny Destiny Destiny Destiny Destiny Destiny Destiny Destiny Destiny Destiny Destiny Destiny Destiny

When do we become Destiny-GAF?

Gordon

I can't wait to find out it's just a borderlands clone.
Seriously though, I'am fucking hyped.
I could handle that. Bungie would do an awesome job on a game of that style. Might not be utilizing their talent very well, but it would be a sweet game nonetheless.

wwm0nkey

I can't wait to find out it's just a borderlands clone.
Seriously though, I'am fucking hyped.

Would also be amazing if it was like that Phantasy Star Online: Halo Edition idea that was pitched yesterday lol

Actually since the game is partly a MMO I guess that is somewhat possible?

Xbox 360, nextbox, and a version might come out the year after its release (2013) for the PS3 if Bungie thinks its feasible to port it.

You sure that is what it was?

I thought it was

Xbox 360
Durango
Orbis
PS3 only if Activision think its worth porting.

Expecting something Open world based with Group based PvE, Hub's with MMO level of players and Large scale PvP battles.

Nail the gun play.

All we got so far is some concept art. If history is any indication, Bungie is capable of some excellent and varied art styles. The Covies and Forerunner aesthetics are something entirely different and unique, and I would imagine they will have that variety in Destiny with the various factions, and the aliens which I dont think have been revealed/leaked. I do somewhat agree though, old Bungie games had somewhat dated aesthetic, but Bungie has grown and changed lot since then, as well as people's tastes.

Personally I am stoked.

I think you nailed it. I'm just not a fan of how "old-fashioned" some of their philosophies are. I mean, the UNSC-Covenant-Forerunner (and now arguably Flood-Precusor) trio of aesthetics is arguably one of my favorites in all of gaming. Take a look at Reclaimer's famous interior section, for example. I can appreciate an aged fine wine, but if the air reeks of mildew and the wine's surface is sprinkled with sawdust then it may not be as enjoyable.

I actually hope that Destiny's multiplayer isn't similar at all to Halo (style and gameplay) so that there won't be everyone on the planet comparing them constantly.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I actually hope that Destiny's multiplayer isn't similar at all to Halo (style and gameplay) so that there won't be everyone on the planet comparing them constantly.

It needs to be. The arena shooter needs a comeback; if anyone could do it, it's Bungie.

Just imagine, a Halo-style shooter made by one of the best devs in gaming with a ton of development time. What I wouldn't give for a proper multiplayer shooter these days.

Woorloog

Banned
It needs to be. The arena shooter needs a comeback; if anyone could do it, it's Bungie.

Just imagine, a Halo-style shooter made by one of the best devs in gaming with a ton of development time.

After Reach? Do you truly belive it would be good?

Arena shooters ain't coming back as they were, too niche nowadays. Won't attract masses. We're talking AAA game here (probably, it is Bungie after all).

Just imagine, a Halo-style shooter made by one of the best devs in gaming with a ton of development time. What I wouldn't give for a proper multiplayer shooter these days.

So basically Contract Bungie to make Halo Again... To show 343 how it is done.

Arena shooters ain't coming back as they were, too niche nowadays. Won't attract masses. We're talking AAA game here (probably, it is Bungie after all).

Reach really isn't indicative of the quality Bungie is going to put out with Destiny.

Reach really isn't indicative of the quality Bungie is going to put out with Destiny.

Why not?

For a swan song reach sucked. It was supposed to be the ultimate entry in a series.

I'm looking forward to destiny but I'm still being reserved in my expectations until I see more. I'm barely hyped at all

Fracas

#fuckonami

I don't know if the ideas that Bungie was "tired" of Halo, or they made Reach out of contract obligations, or that Bungie's "B Team" made Reach are factual, but I most definitely believe that with all this time they've had, plus the ability to do something different...This game will be groundbreaking in some fashion.

As for the popularity of arena shooters, I think they can surge back into prominence. Perks/loadouts/etc don't necessarily equal sales.
So basically Contract Bungie to make Halo Again... To show 343 how it is done.
Not a personal attack against 343 at all. I'm just sick and tired of the modern FPS, and Bungie has proven that they are more than capable of delivering that classic feel.

Obviously, other people may want something else. Who knows, Destiny may be something different entirely.

Woorloog

Banned

True, i guess. But i know i don't trust to them to deliver after Reach. Maybe they will, but i don't expect that.
Especially story. The setting will be interesting most likely but the story will suck. 3 games in row with weak stories... (yeah, Halo 3, ODST and Reach all have weak stories IMO).

I think it would be nice if they would, co-operative science fiction/fantasy pseudo-MMOFPS sounds nice.

I don't know if the ideas that Bungie was "tired" of Halo, or they made Reach out of contract obligations, or that Bungie's "B Team" made Reach are factual, but I most definitely believe that with all this time they've had, plus the ability to do something different...This game will be groundbreaking in some fashion.

As for the popularity of arena shooters, I think they can surge back into prominence. Perks/loadouts/etc don't necessarily equal sales.

Not a personal attack against 343 at all. I'm just sick and tired of the modern FPS, and Bungie has proven that they are more than capable of delivering that classic feel.

Obviously, other people may want something else. Who knows, Destiny may be something different entirely.

I wouldn't hold your breath. I have extremely high expectations for Destiny, but I don't think it's going to be an arena shooter. All signs point towards a game emphasizing a large, possibly open-world cooperative experience. I'm not even sold that there will be a competitive MP mode.

Honestly, if Bungie makes Destiny's MP fun, i'll jump ship from Halo's MP and have two great series Canon to enjoy

True, i guess. But i know i don't trust to them to deliver after Reach. Maybe they will, but i don't expect that.
Especially story. The setting will be interesting most likely but the story will suck. 3 games in row with weak stories... (yeah, Halo 3, ODST and Reach all have weak stories IMO).

I think it would be nice if they would, co-operative science fiction/fantasy pseudo-MMOFPS sounds nice.

Keep in mind that most of the guys whos made the good halo´s ( and 3 is a really good halo also in story ) switched to the destiny project from bungie befor they started to make Reach.

I think you forgot that Bungie developed Reach. I just wouldn't put my hopes up for an arena shooter.

Hey Reach is pretty good.

It's OK.

It's not bad.

Compared to Halo 4.

If Haven was the only map in Reach, it would be an improvement.

Duji

Even if you fixed everything wrong with Halo 4 it still wouldnt be fun or would there be any motivation to play. Next time make a better engine, with better maps, and better gunplay. Make it fast, and make skill involved. Include all the features from the previous games and implement something new.

Or else your game will continue to sink.

What's a good speed for you? In terms of minimum kill time and average kill time.

For example, Reach's DMR killed in 1.6 seconds, but the average kill time with bloom in mind was like 2.5s. Contrast that with CE. Halo CE's minimum kill time was 0.6 seconds but the average kill time was probably around 1.3 seconds.

Top Bottom