• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

ElRenoRaven

Reach was good, playlist management kind of stunk, Arena kind of was a shit idea but with good management and a 1-50 ranking system that game probably would have retained a lot more Halo fans.

Look at people looking back and saying "Reach isnt so bad, after playing Halo 4" This is actually happening even though it would have blown our minds to think 6 months ago that it would.

While they could have just called it a day to get out of their contract, they didnt phone it in, but they certainly took liberties with their final Halo. It was the most drastic game in terms of change from one to the next.

I think their next project will be great. I really do.

Exactly. I always liked Reach even gameplay wise except the AAs. I have and always will hate those but mainly because they don't fit Halo's gameplay. Now in any new game they very could work. Also like you said they certainly didn't just churn out another Halo. They played around with the formula and tried something new be it good or bad. I do applaud them for that.

Also someone mentioned about it looking like it may be more cooperative. I'm ok with that too. Not every game has to have competitive multiplayer. If this next game doesn't then hey all good. If it does again all good. Either way I can't wait at all.

Havok

I hadn't noticed this before, but Halo 4 ate a bunch of my Crimson achievements (I purchased the pack). Waypoint shows 52/57 unlocked, as does the dashboard overview, but if I go into the achievement details in the dashboard, I've got all but Now They Fly? unlocked. I'm kind of over achievements (which is why I haven't tried to go after the H2V ones at all), but that's wonky.

If they had done it just for a contract, they wouldn't have completely ripped apart the engine and rebuilt it with massive improvements instead of just making new content in the Halo 3 engine like Microsoft originally told them to do for Reach.

I mean there's going to be elements of "we're going for freedom now", but they certainly didn't act like they just had to check a box then bounce

Yep.

If they had done it just for a contract, they wouldn't have completely ripped apart the engine and rebuilt it with massive improvements instead of just making new content in the Halo 3 engine like Microsoft originally told them to do for Reach.

I mean there's going to be elements of "we're going for freedom now", but they certainly didn't act like they just had to check a box then bounce
I thought I read that Bungie is able to use the Reach engine for their future projects, is that true?
If so it might make sense as to why the rebuilt the engine while under contract from Microsoft.
Two birds, one stone.

And that Activison deal was contingent upon high ratings for Reach, so they wanted to make it as impressive as possible.

Tunavi

Banned
But...but, you played over 5,000 games of Reach. A Reach 2 game can't be that bad, can it?

I might be able to make it to your Smash Bros. 64 tournament. Not entirely sure though
I played Reach because GAF played it. and invasion boneyard was awesome fun.

Redford

aka Cabbie
What about the jump height? The complete lack of good maps? The lack of support, despite what they said otherwise before Reach launched. They promised us 6 months of Reach support and not one TU was released or any fixes were ever addressed. They introduced a progression system in Halo. Bloom was introduced. No bleedthrough. Reach killed off competitive Halo with the last blow. Arena proved that competitive Halo 4 is better than what Reach ever was. They made Firefight a joke. Armor Abilities were introduced.

I'm not going to justify what Reach brought to Halo because I never want to see it again in the series, but it may be too late on that. Reach was a great shooter, but a terrible Halo game. I'm excited Bungie is making Destiny because it's not Halo more than anything.

I know Halo 4 isn't what we want, but the support for this game has been undoubtedly better and I give 343 full credit for that, even though it can be much better at the same time.

Not faulting Bungie on Halo Reach is scary. They need to know they fucked up so it's never done again.

I think it's as good a time as any to get over thinking of Reach as some colossal failure on Bungie's resume, the bolded doesn't mean anything to any company let alone Bungie or the lead designer working there at this point. This "remember Reach" doomsaying makes little sense going forward and you even admit as much: "because it's not Halo more than anything." I get bitter memories but I don't understand the point in bringing it up like this. Reach is irrelevant.

Dirtbag

This will blow your mind.

Name one original map from Reach or 4 that you would like remade in the next halo?

The only map that comes to mind for me is maybe Haven, and I'd rather have midship over it for certain.

Name one original map from Reach or 4 that you would like remade in the next halo?

The only map that comes to mind for me is maybe Haven, and I'd rather have midship over it for certain.

Spiritual successor to Solace would sell trillions.

Countdown, Zealot (without space),Anchor 9, Haven, Adrift.

Maybe Longbow.

Redford

aka Cabbie

For straight ports, none. If they improved some, Countdown, that would be alright. Haven is unremarkable to say the least and I really don't wish to see it again. The way people make it out as way better than it actually is probably means we will though.

Solace is a terrible map. Sight lines, no visual cues, and why can't it just have symmetrical bases. It's a failure even at symmetry

He said Spiritual successor, not remake.

Look at Valhalla, the spiritual successor of Blood Gulch/Coagulation.

The Cage...

Done.
WP_000787_zps7e0f1c58.jpg

I wouldnt mind seeing Zealot back, without the space section obviously. Any map with symmetry is better than what they are giving us these days.

Didnt mind Powerhouse either.

Havok

Getting JIPed into the same 4-0 game against a team of 130s who are padding their stats twice in a row? Sigh. Where are my buttons labeled "Fuck JIP" and "Fuck Guests" again? Edit: Immediately JIPed an Infinity CTF Ragnarok game where half the enemy team had snipers. This game sometimes. Edit 2: After those wonderful games, we ended up in a game with a Puerto Rican host where grenades took three seconds to come out. Thanks, guys.
I thought about Powerhouse, but High Ground > Powerhouse
For 1-Flag, I guess I can see that. But considering they shoved 19 different variants of Slayer onto High Ground and it was terrible for each and every one of them? Powerhouse handled their playlist management style better than High Ground did and ended up being a pretty decent 1-Flag map by the end. A shame they never did put KOTH on it in Objective.

I'd bring over Zealot in a heartbeat. Arena and MLG Zealot were great. The Anchor 9 MLG variant was a really neat idea as well, and they did a good job of fixing up Countdown. More than anything, a lot of Reach maps just suffered from poor weapon and object placement.

LosDaddie

Banned
I do have to to say though, too many people are forgetting that Bungie's last game was Halo Reach. I'm all excited for Destiny and everything, but there's reasoning to be skeptical about it's multiplayer.

I'm the opposite. Thought Reach was great, but I have no interest in Destiny if it is indeed an MMO.

MIMIC

Banned
Dunno if it was intentional, but I absolutely LOVE that the personal ordnance drops don't have timers. I love the ability to exhaust whatever weapon I have at the time and then pick my new weapon whenever I want.

My original post was about remakes. Pointing out how forgettable or generally weak the map selection has been in the past two halos

Fair enough.

To be honest I would like to see remakes of Turf, Relic, Terminal, Containment and/or Uplift, before a remake of any map in Reach or H4.

Halo 2 Anniversary.

Serious answer.

Powerhouse
Boneyard (sections of that map are well done)
Countdown
Swordbase (spiritual successor not direct remake)
Zealot
Highlands (needs some changes)

Haven
Solace (has potential but needs some tweaks)
Exile

To be clear I like the basic principals of these maps but i think they all need changes. Haven in Doubles with the grav lifts is much better.

Ghazi

I actually really enjoyed Reach, it might not have been a great Halo game but it was certainly a great standalone game and a decent entry to the series. While it definitely was a rather jarring departure from normal Halo it was still better than a lot of the garbage out during its time and some of the DLC maps were rather good
Anchor 9
. Campaign was enjoyable, MP was still loads of fun with friends, all in all I'd rank it = Halo 4 at least.

Edit: Come to think of it, many of my problems with maps in Reach were people jet-packing and attacking from above or getting to different parts of the map easily. That shit's gay!

High Ground was too elongated for Halo 3. You killed people at Bridge and they spawned behind you in the base instead of at Beach or in Bunker (dont think the spawn system knew what to do with verticality)

Plus 1 sided everything stunk on that map originally it was like dead body run flag forever then when they put proper return times in it was like 0-0 ties all day.

Fracas

#fuckonami

Powerhouse pls

One of the better overall Halo maps.

edit: and Haven I guess?

Dirtbag

Anything is better than High Ground.

High Ground destroys Powerhouse at 1-flag, which is the gamemode both maps do best.
I'd say that Powerhouse is a better team slayer map in a heartbeat, but there are much better slayer maps out there when you are talking about taking 1-2 maps from a past halo and remaking them into the new game.

Top Bottom