• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Computron

Jetpack needs to be changed to a pull-start motor that has to be activated by a teammate, or a lengthier third person animation of you starting it like a lawn mower, then hoisting it on your back like a kid with a really thick winter coat.

DMR needs to be a weapon that uses experimental rounds that causes the barrel to explode when fired too fast. Has 4x scope.

Armor Lock needs to be brought back, but as a personal EMP-troll device that immobilizes everyone within a 30ft radius, including yourself, for 15 seconds. The resultant loss of power to your armor also adds the temporary fogging of your helmet due to Spartan Breath and/or Farts.

Halo 5, hire squidhands

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

Please, no half assed "remakes". Give us Halo 2. If I want to play Halo 4, I'll play Halo 4.

You do realize if they gave us Halo 2, there'd be something wrong with it according to everyone (even if it was a perfect recreation) and somehow we'd have an entire Halo 2 CE bitching thread right?

I mean, if 343 touches it someone is bound to have a mild heart attack.

HTupolev

You do realize if they gave us Halo 2, there'd be something wrong with it according to everyone (even if it was a perfect recreation) and somehow we'd have an entire Halo 2 CE bitching thread right?
...Compared with how people would react if they gave us a CEA-style Halo-2-in-Halo-4 frankenstein hack?

I, for one, would love hearing a single person say "I'm like 99% sure they reduced movement speed and took out the BXR, just tested it" in the thread that's never really played it. That statement alone would probably be responsible for like two and a half OTs.

Madness

Let's not go toward exaggerated hyperbole about hypothetical situations. Why would there be anything wrong it "according to someone"? Especially if it's a perfect recreation.

Of course people will be wary of 343 Industries now. They gave them the benefit of the doubt that Halo would be in good hands before. With Halo 4, we know it and now 'they' know it, that it didn't pan out. Let's not kid ourselves, they did a hell of a job with the aging hardware, but the story is god-awful and confusing and makes little sense. The writing it very poor, the characters are badly written. Even sound direction is bad. Sure listening to a lossless soundtrack is good, except when it's in game, at parts its too loud, others too quiet. Doesn't match what's happening etc. You have a campaign that is far too linear, A.I. that is ridiculously poor, it's utterly forgettable. I hated Halo 2's campaign, but by God do I still remember it like the back of my hand.

The way you wrote your response has me curious. You make it seem like halo fans are unreasonable and as if we're throwing 343 under the proverbial 'bus', as if our complaints aren't valid. I'm just junior, but I can remember who posted what. People said from the start this infinity halo would be a clusterfuck, it is. You have perhaps the least played halo game ever. Especially when it's barely 3 months post launch. When guys like Ghaleon leave and decide to never make an OT for Halo again, you knows you've fucked up.

One post of yours I remember is when you said Reach UI was tired and bland and you were glad 343 were taking a new direction, that it looked fresh etc. How did that work out?

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=39616244

The post above yours by Seance and others clearly talked about the UI was crap, that it's vertical baseball card style UI is confusing, doesn't tell you about party details and then you say you don't understand the hatred.

TheOddOne

This will happen regardless how they handle it. They have tried every other solution, why not try a new one this time? Like, going full on Halo 2. What do they have to lose?

Computron

YES. Check this out people.

A long time ago, I had posted about the Precomputed Wave Simulation for Real-time Sound Propagation of Dynamic Sources in Complex Scenes research video.

Those researchers have recently extended their technique and added some new features, while also removing some of the requirements for precomputation.

Here is the new video on what game audio could one day become:
Aural proxies and directionally-varying reverberation for interactive sound propagation

Toward the end of the video, the comparison to source-engine's/traditional game audio systems is kinda mind blowing.

They have a few other interesting videos on the topic as well. (Like this one with more interesting Half life examples/comparisions)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The way you wrote your response has me curious. You make it seem like halo fans are unreasonable and as if we're throwing 343 under the proverbial 'bus', as if our complaints aren't valid. I'm just junior, but I can remember who posted what. People said from the start this infinity halo would be a clusterfuck, it is. You have perhaps the least played halo game ever. Especially when it's barely 3 months post launch. When guys like Ghaleon leave and decide to never make an OT for Halo again, you knows you've fucked up.

One post of yours I remember is when you said Reach UI was tired and bland and you were glad 343 were taking a new direction, that it looked fresh etc. How did that work out?

Not throwing them under a bus per say, but 343 isn't exactly in a lot of folks' good graces (not saying they should be, just stating a fact). It's basically a catch 22. If Halo 2 CE were made exactly to form there'd be people blaming 343 for Bungie's issues on the game. If 343 tries to fix a few things people would have a meltdown that 343 messed with Bungie's formula. Basically, from the 343 perspective it's a lose/lose. Not only would it kill off more of Halo 4 multiplayer, but it could essentially put more blame on them overall. I just don't see why they'd do it.

On the UI point, that's one of the things I've backtracked on. I actually really do love the base UI for the initial screens, but not the boxes. It's like there were two UI teams, one for the main menus and one for the player screen. I also don't mind the pop up menu that has settings, customization, etc. The actual lobbies are bad though, from a visual standpoint.

FyreWulff

YES. Check this out people.

A long time ago, I had posted about the Precomputed Wave Simulation for Real-time Sound Propagation of Dynamic Sources in Complex Scenes research video.

Those researchers have recently extended their technique and added some new features, while also removing some of the requirements for precomputation.

Here is the new video on what game audio could one day become:
Aural proxies and directionally-varying reverberation for interactive sound propagation

Toward the end of the video, the comparison to source-engine's/traditional game audio systems is kinda mind blowing.

They have a few other interesting videos on the topic as well. (Like this one with more interesting Half life examples/comparisions)

Now you have to hope Creative doesn't come along and bury it with their patents.

FyreWulff

But those were specifically for binaural audio simulation, no?

I don't think they did anything for propagation or the other subjects in those videos.

They have a bunch, I just wouldn't put it past them to at least file a lawsuit so they can get royalties off it.

Freakin' software patents.

Overdoziz

Banned

Fuchsdh

Jetpack needs to be changed to a pull-start motor that has to be activated by a teammate, or a lengthier third person animation of you starting it like a lawn mower, then hoisting it on your back like a kid with a really thick winter coat.

DMR needs to be a weapon that uses experimental rounds that causes the barrel to explode when fired too fast. Has 4x scope.

Armor Lock needs to be brought back, but as a personal EMP-troll device that immobilizes everyone within a 30ft radius, including yourself, for 15 seconds. The resultant loss of power to your armor also adds the temporary fogging of your helmet due to Spartan Breath and/or Farts.

Halo 5, hire squidhands

What I originally envisioned when they had teased Armor Lock was that it functioned like a split-second shield allowing you to deflect rockets or absorb a sniper round, but lasting only a second (and perhaps stunning you slightly afterwards.) I still think that would be a cool AA--if you're fast enough you can prevent a power weapon from killing you, but against normal fire you'd just be left helpless and would definitely lose (without waiting around for a teammate to appear.)

Gordon

No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

Please, no half assed "remakes". Give us Halo 2. If I want to play Halo 4, I'll play Halo 4.
So basically just turn one of the old xbox original servers back on? lol

We've already been through that once, and it wasn't too bad.

I'm just saying if 343 touches the holy grail of Halo, someone will have a problem with it.
I liked CEA. It wasn't perfect, but it was a nice alternative to Reach. But yeah, people would lose their shit over a Halo 2 remake, both positively and negatively. And if they patched it into the H4 engine, it would be interesting to see all of the weapons rebalanced for dual-wielding. Dual Boltshot customs anyone? lmao

Bungie creates Scarab; AI, dynamic, deadly, approachable in varying ways, cool explosion
343 creates Lych; scripted, static, doesn't attack, approachable in two ways, vaporizes

The Lych stands for everything 33 has done wrong with Halo 4 campaign-wise.

Not sure why I'm spoilering this but whatever.

Wait, there are two ways to approach
liches? I though it's just take the grav lift, destroy the core, jump off.

SpOps Ep 10 spoiler

http://www.oxmonline.com/files/imag..._slide/gallery/halo_4_spartan_ops_ep10_07.jpg

HYPE. Been waiting for one of these to return.

Also, do you think there's gonna be a CG Epilogue? Like it would suck if you end the final mission and thats it. There's gotta be some ending CG....

Also the Harvester still looks NOTHING covenant. Looks like it belongs in Gears more than it does in Halo.
OMG! That sounds great! Destiny reveal this Sunday, final SpOps episode the next day. It is going to be awesome! I hope 343i releases a second season if it is like second half.

Buntabox

Bungie creates Scarab; AI, dynamic, deadly, approachable in varying ways, cool explosion
343 creates Lych; scripted, static, doesn't attack, approachable in two ways, vaporizes

The Lych stands for everything 33 has done wrong with Halo 4 campaign-wise.

Not sure why I'm spoilering this but whatever.

I would say that is sort of accurate. The jetpack speed run for that level in campaign makes it even less fun. The waves of enemies are the defense for the thing. Yet if you jetpack onto the roof you can end the fight in less than 15 seconds with zero resistance. Sort of silly that it doesn't react to you at all.

"Playing it solo won’t be very satisfying, so be sure to get online for co-op. It’ll make a big difference."​

This is one of my biggest disappointment with Spartan Ops; no enemy scaling. It's made for more than one player, and the co-op netcode for Spartan Ops is extremely poor to put it nicely. When you factor in the abundance of FRGs, Binary Rifles, and bullet-sponge enemies on anything higher than Normal, the missions are a smorgasbord of cheap shit that further reduces any fun one could have in the mode. I'll agree that the second half of the season picked up, but after this I won't be purchasing a Season 2 unless some significant alterations are made to the gameplay.

What I originally envisioned when they had teased Armor Lock was that it functioned like a split-second shield allowing you to deflect rockets or absorb a sniper round, but lasting only a second (and perhaps stunning you slightly afterwards.) I still think that would be a cool AA--if you're fast enough you can prevent a power weapon from killing you, but against normal fire you'd just be left helpless and would definitely lose (without waiting around for a teammate to appear.)
Yeah, if it were more of a timing based AA, it would have had less hatred toward it. Add in the gradual return to normal speed and reaction time, like when kicked out of a vehicle, would have made it even 'better'.

Gordon

Yeah, if it were more of a timing based AA, it would have had less hatred toward it. Add in the gradual return to normal speed and reaction time, like when kicked out of a vehicle, would have made it even 'better'.
I kinda liked it in the beta, back when it was retardedly OP. The CQC EMP effect made for some really aggressive play. I liked the way it was balanced, in that you could EMP team mates just as easily as enemies. Made it powerful but dangerous to use. Obviously it was way too powerful to be compared with the other AAs though. That said, if EMPing an armor locker stunned, drained the AA meter, and stripped shields, it could have been balanced. I miss the GL :(

So Bulletin talk. Were there any hints to what's going to be in it this week? I would say they have to talk about either the TU or map pack, it's the 13th! But this is the same company who we had to rely on pirated copies to find out the 10th map and Theater options in Halo 4.

Didact returning is less possible in Episode 10, instead it appears to be that Jul M'dama activated a self-destruct mechanism. I don't like the idea of it. Doesn't appear to be a Beacon. So narrowing it down to Blowing Requiem Dafuq Up.

Alchemical

Neo Member
[...] But yeah, people would lose their shit over a Halo 2 remake, both positively and negatively. And if they patched it into the H4 engine, it would be interesting to see all of the weapons rebalanced for dual-wielding. Dual Boltshot customs anyone? lmao

Ship it.

Even if Halo 2 Anniv. is a real thing, I'm also in serious doubt as to whether they'll reissue the Multiplayer as-was, with only updated graphics. I'd love it more than anything and play nothing else for a very long time, but I'd say the likelihood is low on this one.

As for Halo 4, I finally took the plunge and grabbed a used copy off ebay a week or so ago. I'll do a write up on my thoughts so far in a few weeks, but suffice to say, I'm in overall agreement with a large majority of posters in here in regards to the problems with the game. The campaign has surprised me here and there (though with some very major flaws in encounter design, as I see it), but the Multiplayer suffers in almost every respect that I thought it would, prior to actually playing the game.

Honestly, Infinity Slayer (on any map) is a shocking mess. I'm yet to play Doubles as I always run solo and I'm still very much getting used to the game & maps etc. but it looks like it fixes some of the major problems I have with the MM aspect of the game so far. Guess we'll see what the TU brings to the table. I've not completely lost hope.

Buntabox

So can we get a yea or nay on an epilogue cinematic? Or are you just going to tease us Frankie style? :)

Almost feel like there would have to be an epilogue cinematic. Maybe the following week (or the same week). Otherwise what would be the point of playing the missions if the story is concluded in the Ep10 opening cinematic? Though its possible they could pull a Ep5 and have a bizarre cliffhanger in chpt 5.

Halo 2 Anniversary/HD Remake

Halo 2 MP Anniversary Playlists With Classic Settings Only! No Sprint, No Loadouts, No Instant Respawn, No JIP, No Personal/Global Ordnance, Nerfed Assault Rifle, Boltshot & DMR. NO AA's. No Specializations! Don't overdue adding OP vehicles in maps.

Top Bottom