• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Interested to see how the season ends, because potentially for the big climatic gameplay moments you have Crimson, but then in the cinematic afterwards you have Majestic & the rest of the Infinity?

Could be something surprising in the actual gameplay missions which would be great.

Fuchsdh

Interested to see how the season ends, because potentially for the big climatic gameplay moments you have Crimson, but then in the cinematic afterwards you have Majestic & the rest of the Infinity?

Could be something surprising in the actual gameplay missions which would be great.
I think the biggest takeaway for me that 343i should have done differently (or should do different going forward) is to scratch the prerendered cinematics as they currently stand. They are awesome, but I think I'd appreciate greater story cohesiveness that's impossible if our Spartans have to be separated from the cinematics. On the other hand, even if cinematics stayed the same... Put Palmer, Miller, or Glassman on the ground next to us, even if its behind a shield door or on a Pelican flying by us. I would have loved a bit more of the story characters in-game, and it would have helped with the disconnect.

I don't think you'll be disappointed by the scale of this season finale.
As many issues as I have with the gameplay portion of Spartan Ops, I will happily say how great the CGI scenes and the story stemming from it have been. Lasky and Halsey in particular are very well written characters.

I think the biggest takeaway for me that 343i should have done differently (or should do different going forward) is to scratch the prerendered cinematics as they currently stand. They are awesome, but I think I'd appreciate greater story cohesiveness that's impossible if our Spartans have to be separated from the cinematics. On the other hand, even if cinematics stayed the same... Put Palmer, Miller, or Glassman on the ground next to us, even if its behind a shield door or on a Pelican flying by us. I would have loved a bit more of the story characters in-game, and it would have helped with the disconnect.
Certainly not the biggest take away from me, but I can agree with the rest of that.

Fuchsdh

Certainly not the biggest take away from me, but I can agree with the rest of that.
Haha well there could be gameplay and mission improvements, sure, but I am and always shall be fiction-oriented. I really don't know enough to make judgements about level design, etc., but I can critique storytelling :)

Blueblur1

So Bulletin talk. Were there any hints to what's going to be in it this week? I would say they have to talk about either the TU or map pack, it's the 13th! But this is the same company who we had to rely on pirated copies to find out the 10th map and Theater options in Halo 4.
Prediction: No TU talk but there will be map teases. Oh and a whole ton of pointless text to scroll past.

Prediction: No TU talk but there will be map teases. Oh and a whole ton of pointless text to scroll past.

Beautiful. Unless the TU is coming out on the 28th, they are going to release all the TU info and the TU in a week, which is dumb. Why not build hype?

Wouldn't surprise me if it was delayed.

edit: missed the word "prediction", I still stand by what I said if he's right though.

Well we dont even know the scale of the TU. Sure they've been talking about it for a while, but who knows if it's actually going to be meaningful? For all we know it could just be "under the hood fixes, that will help improve performance"

If the TU is just "under the hood" stuff, then 343 better get a good look at those low peak numbers, because they're going to seem high in a month.

I wish they would have just completely scrapped Crimson and had you just play as Majestic, even though you wouldn't have the same armor in cutscene.

Although I think they could have gotten away with in-engine cutscenes, Halo 4 cinematics are beautiful.

Beautiful. Unless the TU is coming out on the 28th, they are going to release all the TU info and the TU in a week, which is dumb. Why not build hype?

Wouldn't surprise me if it was delayed.

Well we dont even know the scale of the TU. Sure they've been talking about it for a while, but who knows if it's actually going to be meaningful? For all we know it could just be "under the hood fixes, that will help improve performance"

Talents

Banned
Professional football is meh imo, the "men" are either made of cardboard or have the lowest pain tolerance I've ever seen, they get tapped on the leg and bam, on the floor crying and red card to whoever did it.

Professional football is meh imo, the "men" are either made of cardboard or have the lowest pain tolerance I've ever seen, they get tapped on the leg and bam, on the floor crying and red card to whoever did it.

football_sniper.gif

It would be nice if they just bolded the parts anybody is actually going to read. Trying to skim for details is excruciating sometimes.

Bungie has trained us well for these moments.

I wish they would have just completely scrapped Crimson and had you just play as Majestic, even though you wouldn't have the same armor in cutscene.

Although I think they could have gotten away with in-engine cutscenes, Halo 4 cinematics are beautiful.

I'm somewhat confused in that topic because sometimes you play as Thorne and who are the Crimson team, why they didnt show up on the cinematics if they are better than crimson?

Yeah, I'd like to see one of those chumps even put a dent in a wall.

Fuchsdh

It would be nice if they just bolded the parts anybody is actually going to read. Trying to skim for details is excruciating sometimes.
They hired bs angel for a reason. She's got an audience for a lot of the stuff that I personally don't care about. Doesn't mean it's not being read.

(Still think we need TU details now though.)

matthieuC

Well the only protection footballers have are shin guards...

And sure, diving is an awful aspect of the sport, but footballers get way to much hate for it.

Gui_PT

Being portuguese, I should worship football but this bullcrap makes it completely unwatchable to me

I really like the set up for Halo 5 judging off the finale of Spartan Ops. Possibility that both humanity and Covenant gain knowledge to the locations of thousands of forerunner artifacts, worlds, secret facilities etc. With Requiem possibly destroyed we can move on from it and the Prometheans. The game takes on a Mass Effect scenario where you are given control of the Infinity and get to choose which Forerunner locations to go after in a somewhat open universe order. You are Master Chief and are allowed to choose your squad members. Options include the S2s you fought with, S3s, S4s, and additional options like the Arbiter. It is a race against the Covenant. You wanted ODST style hub world? shiiiiiiit, enjoy your HUB UNIVERSE!

TheOddOne

I really like the set up for Halo 5 judging off the finale of Spartan Ops. Possibility that both humanity and Covenant gain knowledge to the locations of thousands of forerunner artifacts, worlds, secret facilities etc. With Requiem possibly destroyed we can move on from it and the Prometheans. The game takes on a Mass Effect scenario where you are given control of the Infinity and get to choose which Forerunner locations to go after in a somewhat open universe order. It is a race against the Covenant. You wanted ODST style hub world? shiiiiiiit, enjoy your HUB UNIVERSE!
SO HALO: MASS EFFECT? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

darthbob

I really like the set up for Halo 5 judging off the finale of Spartan Ops. Possibility that both humanity and Covenant gain knowledge to the locations of thousands of forerunner artifacts, worlds, secret facilities etc. With Requiem possibly destroyed we can move on from it and the Prometheans. The game takes on a Mass Effect scenario where you are given control of the Infinity and get to choose which Forerunner locations to go after in a somewhat open universe order. You are Master Chief and are allowed to choose your squad members. Options include the S2s you fought with, S3s, S4s, and additional options like the Arbiter. It is a race against the Covenant. You wanted ODST style hub world? shiiiiiiit, enjoy your HUB UNIVERSE!

Hire this guy

Overdoziz

Banned
It's because they get away with it. Hell will freeze over the day FIFA starts using replay footage during matches.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I love how you guys bitch about the elements Halo 4 took from other games yet constantly ape ideas that involve taking elements from other games.

Tawpgun

Might be cool, but will probably never happen.

Expect more QTE, linearity and scripted set pieces.

Top Bottom