• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

I love how you guys bitch about the elements Halo 4 took from other games yet constantly ape ideas that involve taking elements from other games.

The only reason I ragged on the Librarian scene being similar to the Vigil scene last night was because the Librarian scene was poorly done. For the most part, the scenes happen very similarly. Chief and Cortana talk about how they might be led to a trap, Shepard's crew say the same thing. Chief stopped, light bridge reveals path for him to follow. Shepard stopped by force fields that force him down specific path. Both meet with the ancient ai that speaks of their meetings as a result of an eventuality they had accounted for. Reveals the tools to be used and further secrets of their great enemies. Also reveals the key to defeating them. When I was play Mass Effect last night it just screamed rip off to me. If you're going to mimic something, do it well. If 343 successfully pulled in awesome features from other franchises and executed on them well with their own twists,I'd dig. But they have not really done a good job of making it work within the context of Halo just yet.

TheOddOne

plagiarismo de plagiarismo
But The Simpsons is really lackluster now, American Dad took the crown and at first it was really good but now every episode is filled with Roger being an asshole, so now The Cleaveland show trumps them all but has it's own flavour too. Aka Halo.

Tawpgun

We've realized chasing after CoD design philosphy for popularity is bad for Halo.

So we should model Halo 5 on other games that are beating Halo. We should take some cues from Minecraft and FIFA

heckfu

Banned
So we should model Halo 5 on other games that are beating Halo. We should take some cues from Minecraft and FIFA

original.gif

Arnie

Professional football is meh imo, the "men" are either made of cardboard or have the lowest pain tolerance I've ever seen, they get tapped on the leg and bam, on the floor crying and red card to whoever did it.

Good thing it's a sport about technique and athleticism rather than the world's strongest man.

Don't really enjoy watching men just run into each other.

IHaveIce

Banned
We've realized chasing after CoD design philosphy for popularity is bad for Halo.

Yeah take notes from FIFA :

- keep the same game mechanics, just improve them slightly ( physics etc)
- add no new random stuff that hasn't anything to do with the core game

Ship it.

TheOddOne

What they did was blantely copy CoD's systems. Not fundamentals ideas or takeaways, literally just everything and not even trying to make it their own. You can ape a lot of ideas from games and still feel that it’s unique to your game by taking the fundamentals and improving or even reworking them to something that fits the game. It’s a very difficult thing to do though, but copying outright is just.. lazy to a certain extent.

The only reason I ragged on the Librarian scene being similar to the Vigil scene last night was because the Librarian scene was poorly done. For the most part, the scenes happen very similarly. Chief and Cortana talk about how they might be led to a trap, Shepard's crew say the same thing. Chief stopped, light bridge reveals path for him to follow. Shepard stopped by force fields that force him down specific path. Both meet with the ancient ai that speaks of their meetings as a result of an eventuality they had accounted for. Reveals the tools to be used and further secrets of their great enemies. Also reveals the key to defeating them. When I was play Mass Effect last night it just screamed rip off to me. If you're going to mimic something, do it well. If 343 successfully pulled in awesome features from other franchises and executed on them well with their own twists,I'd dig. But they have not really done a good job of making it work within the context of Halo just yet.
Not a rip off. But similar. I've played Mass Effect 1 and when comparing both Vigil & Librarian Scenes, the Librarian scene felt more interesting and original rather than the Vigil scene using random images explaining the Protheans & Reapers. The downfall of the Librarian scene, as another GAFfer pointed out, was that 343 tried to explain the Forerunner Trilogy into that one scene.

Arnie

One thing Fifa has that Halo 4 doesn't: skill based ranking system that rewards winning and a greater knowledge of the mechanics.

Shock horror, it's beating Halo.

Not a rip off. But similar. I've played Mass Effect 1 and when comparing both Vigil & Librarian Scenes, the Librarian scene felt more interesting and original rather than the Vigil scene using random images explaining the Protheans & Reapers. The downfall of the Librarian scene, as another GAFfer pointed out, was that 343 tried to explain the Forerunner Trilogy into that one scene.

hmm

I think the Librarian scene is very nonconcrete and messy.
While I like bits of the unreal nature of it (the representation of humanity running mainly), I don't think it works. At all.

The Vigil scene is a lot more straight forward and easy to follow, especially because it fits into the overall narrative of the first game a lot better.
It's more of a "A-ha, so this is what happened" moment to Halo 4's "Wait, what?!?".

Edit:
It's been years since I've seen the Vigil scene, but I didn't have a problem with it at the time, I remember loving that last third of Mass Effect (1).
Going to watch it again on YouTube to see how it holds up.

Still not convinced by your point. There's a lot more random images used in the Vigil scene that was irrelevant than compared to the very few used in the Librarian scene that is more straight forward to the point of Advanced Alien Inception.
Just watched it, are we talking about the same Vigil scene?

It's an 18 minute, blow by blow explanation, with good back and forth, calmly paced.

I don't see any random images.

Meeting Vigil was a strange, yet entrancing, somehow otherwordly experience that gave the players plenty of explanation and made them realize what they had to do.

Meeting the Librarian was one part "lol, why are Forerunners ugly", one part "thank God I read the books" and one part space magic.

The music playing during the Vigil conversation is also some of the best in the ME trilogy.

u4iX

Meeting Vigil was a strange, yet entrancing, somehow otherwordly experience that gave the players plenty of explanation and made them realize what they had to do.

Meeting the Librarian was one part "lol, why are Forerunners ugly", one part "thank God I read the books" and one part space magic.

The music playing during the Vigil conversation is also some of the best in the ME trilogy.

I liked the part where the Librarian zapped special powers into you, then they never exactly explained how, why, or what they did.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I liked the part where the Librarian zapped special powers into you, then they never exactly explained how, why, or what they did.

I thought the gameplay was going to change after that moment. Like I was going to be super powered lol

But I'm pretty sure they explained what they did. You're not affected by the Composer.

Whatever it is I'm sure it will save Halo.

Back to the good ol days, 300k players online, all my HaloGAF buddies back on everynight, donging parties ernight.

Oh was last night another low ? 66650?

CyReN

V2 is out, it's in a Octagon with a 7 shot BR and nothing in the pit of battle.

Tashi-

then he said "That retweet wasn't the news... I was just saying that I saw that and thought it might hold you guys over for a bit. I was wrong, haha."

The Librarian giving the Chief powers was pretty cheap to put into the lore. Since we have no specific explanation of what these powers do, they can put Master Chief in any dangerous situation and have him come out fine with some "it wast the powers" excuse.

I want Master Chief to be a hero, not a God.

Tashi

V2 is out, it's in a Octagon with a 7 shot BR and nothing in the pit of battle.

Tashi-

then he said "That retweet wasn't the news... I was just saying that I saw that and thought it might hold you guys over for a bit. I was wrong, haha."

Ahh ok. Thanks!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I thought that season ended with the Super Bowl...

Trollface.jpg

I like how America thinks college basketball is a reasonable replacement when the Superbowl dust settles and the end of the Football season begins. OMG Duke was upset by a resurgent DeVry!

I don't care.

Petrichor

Felt like an insipid, inelegant infodump to me (and all I could think throughout that scene was, oh, so basically it's like the forerunner and flood from halo) - the scene in Halo 4 is no better, granted, but I don't know why mass effect's story is lionised so much.

I like how America thinks college basketball is a reasonable replacement when the Superbowl dust settles and the end of the Football season begins. OMG Duke was upset by a resurgent DeVry!

I don't care.

March Madness is the only sports event that ever matters ever.

Whos setting up the brackets this year people?

Tashi

I don't care.

Props. I seriously don't give a shit about college basketball

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
March Madness is the only sports event that ever matters ever.

Whos setting up the brackets this year people?

I actually do understand the drama, my father in law is MENTAL for North Carolina, and Mrs. Stinkles is mental for NorthWestern (lol) but I cannot make myself be interested in it. And I am forced to watch a LOT of it. I can't even watch the NBA these days. I switched to Football, period.

I actually do understand the drama, my father in law is MENTAL for North Carolina, and Mrs. Stinkles is mental for NorthWestern (lol) but I cannot make myself be interested in it. And I am forced to watch a LOT of it. I can't even watch the NBA these days. I switched to Football, period.

Go to a basketball game. I wasn't interested in it until I went to the Final Four a few years ago. For some reason, it's much better to watch in person and you get a new love for it. If you have been to one, well whatevs, you wrong.

This is also coming from a guy who holds season tickets every year to Auburn Tigers football and the Saints.
yes, I'm bragging

Basketball is boring as shit to watch.

And this is coming from a college basketball player.

It's a yawn fest.

But I do like American football, RAMS 4 LYFE.

Librarian should've given Chief Forerunner armor to protect him from the Composer. Bam.
The Didact can use it on Forerunners, can't he?

Speaking of which, what would the Composer do to the Flood? What would happen in that scenario?

I mean, we don't know much about how it works, but it's a thought that just occured to me.

She fakes it for you, the least you can do is fake interest in Basketball for her.
;)

Blueblur1

Earlier today Bungie's David Candland linked to an old article he wrote for Adobe regarding Macromedia Director and his experience working with it. Really interesting read. I enjoyed this tidbit:

I'm not saying you should abandon a good convention if it makes the interface more usable, but if you are reusing a familiar convention without thinking "is this really the best way of doing this?" then maybe you should ask that question.

Article link: http://web.archive.org/web/20100604020121/http://www.adobe.com/devnet/director/articles/halo_ui.html

I'd like to think that in Halo 4's case sticking to the convention would have been smarter. Regardless, maybe the Halo 4 UI designers should read it. ;)

Top Bottom