• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Caja 117

The sad part is that Everything that is wrong with this game was called out before the game was released, but a good amount of people who played the game in those conventions defended every one of those changes with the famous response "you havent play the game your opinion isnt valid"

orznge

Banned
Buying select packages of Mountain Dew and Doritos nets you access to an exclusive playlist called Title Update Battle Bro Slayer (or TUBBS for short), where you can duke it out in the one and only place using the Title Update settings.

Offer only valid in Florida

Infinity TUBBS

Akai__

The sad part is that Everything that is wrong with this game was called out before the game was released, but a good amount of people who played the game in those conventions defended every one of those changes with the famous response "you havent play the game your opinion isnt valid"

That's what Waypoint kids do. I'm pretty sure, nobody said it like that in here.

J10

Banned

If people had been universally negative there would have been no difference in the final product - they weren't going to undo a year's worth of work over a handful of public playtests. Microsoft shipped the game they wanted to ship (a few missing features aside).

Blueblur1

Yep. It makes me sad. :(

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
BOLTSHOT NERF? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I liked my nerf for it better, restricting look movement much more.

Ghazi

If people had been universally negative there would have been no difference in the final product - they weren't going to undo a year's worth of work over a handful of public playtests. Microsoft shipped the game they wanted to ship (a few missing features aside).
And that game singlehandedly turned off a majority of previous (and new) Halo players. Argue as much as you want but Microsoft basically screwed themselves over if they wanted Halo 5 to be a flagship title at the nextbox's launch. I doubt a majority of average people would be willing to pay at least $300+$60 just to give it a chance compared to getting Halo 4 when the Xbox 360/Xbox Live is at it's highest population so far.

jiB25.jpg

Harlem Shake?

What the hell is this actually from lol?

Iv spent a combined £1300+ on Halo 4 and Reach.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lki4gdn54W1qj0zk3o1_500.gif

I Regret Nothing

Please say you spent like twice as much on the good Halo games. :p

GUYS. GUYS.

my mom and sister are watching some fucking model show on Oxygen right

THE PERCUSSION FROM BLOOD ON THE GROUND IN REACH'S OST JUST PLAYED

WHAT THE FUCK WHERE DOES MARTY GET THESE LOOPS FROM THAT AMERICA'S NEXT TOP FUCKING MODEL IS USING THEM

I'M A GLASS CAGE OF EMOTION RIGHT NOW

Caja 117

And that game singlehandedly turned off a majority of previous (and new) Halo players off. Argue as much as you want but Microsoft basically screwed themselves over if they wanted Halo 5 to be a flagship title at the nextbox's launch. I doubt a majority of average people would be willing to pay at least $300+$60 just to give it a chance compared to getting Halo 4 when the Xbox is at it's higher population so far.

Correct, Im someone that as much as i enjoy gaming, I dont expend money on having multiple consoles, i went from playstation to xbox because of Halo, right now Im thinking on going back to PLayStation.

FyreWulff

I don't think a split TU is happening. You weren't able to keep the launch settings after they fixed stuff in December, either.

They learned their lesson from Reach on that.

J10

Banned
And that game singlehandedly turned off a majority of previous (and new) Halo players off. Argue as much as you want but Microsoft basically screwed themselves over if they wanted Halo 5 to be a flagship title at the nextbox's launch. I doubt a majority of average people would be willing to pay at least $300+$60 just to give it a chance compared to getting Halo 4 when the Xbox is at it's higher population so far.

I'd be surprised if Halo 5 didn't at least match Halo 4's sales numbers off of brand recognition and marketing alone. That's not an argument for the quality of this game or a hypothetical sequel - I just think people like us who care about the minutiae of the game mechanics ultimately don't matter as far as sales are concerned. The average consumer takes little more than a cursory glance at the game compared to how we look at the game.

I think a better development alternative would be to go smaller, not bigger. Halo CE was made by like 20 people for a few million bucks. Halo 2 was made by like 60 people. Halo 5 doesn't have to cost a hundred million dollars, does it? If they spent less, they'd make even more back. They don't have to pander to the market leader's audience to be successful; they don't have to have the best graphics at the expense of other functionality; just accept that Halo is no longer top dog and focus developing a leaner and more focused game. They can keep what's left of their original hardcore audience and with the right marketing still get enough of the general public to stay profitable.

Ghazi

I'd be surprised if Halo 5 didn't at least match Halo 4's sales numbers off of brand recognition and marketing alone. That's not an argument for the quality of this game or a hypothetical sequel - I just think people like us who care about the minutiae of the game mechanics ultimately don't matter as far as sales are concerned. The average consumer takes little more than a cursory glance at the game compared to how we look at the game.

I think a better development alternative would be to go smaller, not bigger. Halo CE was made by like 20 people for a few million bucks. Halo 2 was made by like 60 people. Halo 5 doesn't have to cost a hundred million dollars, does it? If they spent less, they'd make even more back. They don't have to pander to the market leader's audience to be successful; they don't have to have the best graphics at the expense of other functionality; just accept that Halo is no longer top dog and focus developing a leaner and more focused game. They can keep what's left of their original hardcore audience and with the right marketing still get enough of the general public to stay profitable.
Eh, I hope not. I'm hoping that if 343 hasn't seen that they've made mistakes that they will try to go back to classic Halo. I mean all those "casual players" they were going for abandoned the game along with the competitive players who were alienated by these cheap mechanics. I'm sure development costs for the next Halo won't be as much though because I know a lot of money was going into creating 343i.

2nd paragraph is golden though.

Korosenai

Sitting in class listening to two kids talk about Halo. Hilarious stuff. Sounds like babbys first Halo talk to me. Maybe I should introduce them to Halogaf.

So I got Alien: Colonial Marines the other day and after around 7-8 Hour's play time I'm getting close to wrapping it up. (maybe an 1-1.5 Hours left)

Figured I'd write down some impressions because a few here are pretty big Alien's fans.

Firstly the game has bugs, Based on what iv been reading it has loads but iv encountered barely any if this was because of the recent patch or because people are blowing things out of proportion I don't know.

Animations are sloppy and the Bink Cutscenes have fairly severe screen tearing. Textures sometimes never load (you get that pre "pop" texture. Note this has only happened on scenery) and certain textures are very low res.

Now for the good points. Weapons are really fun to use and have great models. The environment's you visit are very diverse. The story is solid. I'm enjoying the gameplay.

The game has collectables in 3 forms.

Legendary Weapons (weapons from the movie such as Vasquez Smart gun with the red bandana) which are cool if you're a fan

Audio Logs which provide some nice tidbits of information about the story like a recording from Newts parents.

Dog Tags which are pretty useless.

Overall the game is solid but if you have serious problems with glitches id avoid it. I wouldn't recommend buying it full price but its going to Bomba very soon and if you're an aliens fan its worth picking up just for a 10 hour romp in the universe with a pulse rifle.

Ghazi

Overall the game is solid but if you have serious problems with glitches id avoid it. I wouldn't recommend buying it full price but its going to Bomba very soon and if you're an aliens fan its worth picking up just for a 10 hour romp in the universe with a pulse rifle.
Really? All I've been seeing from people in the Gaming Discussion is that people have generally been saying that it's terrible. I was so hyped for it too, the past 4 months have been very disappointing and depressing in game releases.

Akai__

you'll be surprised.

I mean how can you sit there play this game and think that instant respawn, the whole ordnance system, no descoping are actually good things for Halo?

Just FYI... I'm not very happy with Halo 4. Played Halo 2 and Halo 3 the last days and it's just so much better without random bullshit and without AA's. Equpment kinda bugs me, 'cause there are too many maps in Halo 3, which have regen fields and etc. I also wonder, what Bungie was thinking, when they added like 5 Fusion Coils on every map.
Last Resort must have 20 of them...

But, I'm looking forward to every TU/fix 343i is releasing. Who knows, maybe we can have a great game, before Halo 5 releases?
Who am I kidding?

Fuchsdh

Really? All I've been seeing from people in the Gaming Discussion is that people have generally been saying that it's terrible. I was so hyped for it too, the past 4 months have been very disappointing and depressing in game releases.

Well, I think disappointment is partially an inverse function of hype. I was expecting Spec Ops the Line to be an amazing story-driven shooter from all I'd heard, instead it was a mind-numbingly frustrating game that I only played through for the ending, and was left a bit miffed.

I went in expecting very little but yeah its far from a terrible game. Its not brilliant don't get me wrong and its got problems in terms of graphic glitches and some bugs but Iv encounted nothing game breaking and the everything else is pretty much okay. Gun's take some getting used to but its not the game people are making it out to be.

I don't think its worth full price but as an aliens fan while I have issues with the product I don't regret buying it and I'm enjoying it for what it is.

However I'm not hyper critical and I can deal with "bad" games Iv 1000/1000 Duke Nukem Forever and I love TFU1+2 so take that as you will.

Ghazi

I went in expecting very little but yeah its far from a terrible game. Its not brilliant don't get me wrong and its got problems in terms of graphic glitches and some bugs but Iv encounted nothing game breaking and the everything else is pretty much okay. Gun's take some getting used to but its not the game people are making it out to be.

I don't think its worth full price but as an aliens fan while I have issues with the product I don't regret buying it and I'm enjoying it for what it is.

However I'm not hyper critical and I can deal with "bad" games Iv 1000/1000 Duke Nukem Forever and I love TFU1+2 so take that as you will.
FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE!
Graphics usually don't matter that much to me if other qualities of the game are good (sound, storytelling, gameplay, etc.) and I find it enjoyable at least. It definitely looks like something I'd pick up at $30 though, so maybe that won't be too far off with the way the game is being received by people. I could understand though, that by going in not expecting much, that it wouldn't be too disappointing. A lot of people (including me) got hyped with that E3 trailer/gameplay that had Randy Pitchford speaking over it, it did look legitimately good in that trailer.
Well, I think disappointment is partially an inverse function of hype. I was expecting Spec Ops the Line to be an amazing story-driven shooter from all I'd heard, instead it was a mind-numbingly frustrating game that I only played through for the ending, and was left a bit miffed.
That would make sense, once hype reaches a critical point it kinda implodes if the game doesn't meet standards, I agree about Spec Ops: The Line though, I got it after everyone praised and while I found it alright (because of the ways I mentioned qualities of games above) I got pretty frustrated with it at some times.

Alchemical

Neo Member
[...] I think a better development alternative would be to go smaller, not bigger. Halo CE was made by like 20 people for a few million bucks. Halo 2 was made by like 60 people. Halo 5 doesn't have to cost a hundred million dollars, does it? If they spent less, they'd make even more back. They don't have to pander to the market leader's audience to be successful; they don't have to have the best graphics at the expense of other functionality; just accept that Halo is no longer top dog and focus developing a leaner and more focused game. They can keep what's left of their original hardcore audience and with the right marketing still get enough of the general public to stay profitable.

iZE0YlyK8LaB9.gif

kylej

Banned
How is the Pro playlist going to be good when there are no more pros playing this game and all the good players have left (besides like 4 people from here)?

In an unranked playlist...thats social...and not competitive.

And MLG isnt throwing Halo tournaments anymore.

Where is the motivation to even try and play this game competitively? For bragging rights?

"Hey bro, check this game out (Link to waypoint that doesnt work) I shit on a bunch of kids that you cant tell if they are good or bad without thirty minutes of research!"

Get realllllllllll.

lol

Fuchsdh

I think that's ignoring the fact that games are far more complex than they were. Putting aside the gobs and gobs and gobs spent on marketing... everything is far more detailed (a Reach assault rifle was as many polygons as an entire Marine in Halo 3... I think comparing Halo 4 to Halo CE would be mind-blowing), physics and scripting and AI are more complex, you hire orchestras and motion capture actors, networking is still a bitch, and then there's all the support/extra features, including the ones people are maligning for not being as good or better as previous games--Theater, Forge, File Sharing, etc. I don't think you'll ever be able to create a AAA game as cheaply or as quickly as you could back in CE's day, especially if you're starting from scratch. That time has past (although I also don't see any way that video games can continue ballooning in cost and becoming more baroque. Eventually that system is going to tank and burn.)

Secondly, Halo has never succeeded commercially due to a hardcore audience (especially if you're talking hardcore as in competitive players.) They have always marketed Halo with an eye towards capturing a broad segment of the market because that's where success lies.

Unfortunately, in the eyes of many forumgoers here, that broad segment shifted towards a different playstyle.

(Not arguing with your point about leaner and more effective development, though. Video games are expensive, but they don't have to be *that* expensive. I think at some point all those millions get you less in returns. Likewise, I think it's entirely possible for Halo to orient itself towards a hardcore audience and be very successful, albeit nowhere near as successful as previous games.)

Gui_PT

I still don't understand why people on my team can destroy the vehicle I'm in?

Almost won a match if some idiot didn't feel like destroying my tank.

Top Bottom