• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Just because youre bad at Blops II doesnt mean the game sucks...

I don't like it because they are making the smallest effort they can to evolve the gameplay and I feel the series since CoD4 has gone down hill focusing more on on baiting the players to unlock stuff instead of creating an environment that rewards skill.

However I understand I'm alone in this view and I can also see the appeal of Call of Duty to a mass market. It just stopped doing anything for me after MW2.

Games fantastic when you look at it as a whole it's added features to promote community interaction and that can only be commended.

CoD gets blasted for remaining the same and hardly updating its 'dated' gameplay mechanics.

Every game on the market still attempts to copy CoD's systems and mechanics.

uhhh

It is sad really, because Cod 4 is over 5 years old now and games are still copying it. Where in the hell is the innovation...

JHall

I don't like it because they are making the smallest effort they can to evolve the gameplay and I feel the series since CoD4 has gone down hill focusing more on on baiting the players to unlock stuff instead of creating an environment that rewards skill.

However I understand I'm alone in this view and I can also see the appeal of Call of Duty to a mass market. It just stopped doing anything for me after MW2.

Games fantastic when you look at it as a whole it's added features to promote community interaction and that can only be commended.

@Bold

Halo developers should stop trying to evolve its gameplay. If it's not broke don't fix it.

DeadNames

Banned
Just because youre bad at Blops II doesnt mean the game sucks...

lol

I don't suck at it. Using the MSMC I get like a 2 kd some games... Average around 1.5

CoD gets blasted for remaining the same and hardly updating its 'dated' gameplay mechanics.

Every game on the market still attempts to copy CoD's systems and mechanics.

uhhh

It is sad really, because Cod 4 is over 5 years old now and games are still copying it. Where in the hell is the innovation...

Just trying to copy what's popular. America fuck yeah, blow shit up, totally awesome protagonist, sprinting around a wall while calling in a tactical weed bomb and fucking twenty bitches at the same time.

While listening to Lil Wayne and quickscoping a ton of "homosexual little kids who are not good at video games and have had intercourse against their will".

@Bold

Halo developers should stop trying to evolve its gameplay. If it's not broke don't fix it.

I agree to an extent. I felt that equipment was a great way to move the franchise forward but some of the items chosen created a negative effect on the gameplay. However if you took current AA's and turned them into equipment and Gimped the loadout options back to weapons only and re-balance the sandbox Halo could evolve but remain competitive.

Right now people spawning with overpowered weapons and abilities that because of their nature alter map design are negatively impacting Halo. Sprint forces map's to be larger and that's bad it also has detrimental effects on how encounters play out. Players are now given a Fight or Flight choice in which Flight is much more of an option than it previously was which is bad.

Ordnance is a great idea for a single playlist but making it global causes issues. It should never have been implemented across the board Infinity slayer should be an alternative gametype not the default.

kylej

Banned
I read this thread everyday and I swear I didn't know there was a new map pack out in like a week until Duncan(?) posted last night. WTF are you doing 343.

Why doesn't Active Camouflage & Jetpack prevents your ability to either Shoot, Melee, and Throw Grenades, or Temporarily Immobilized like the other AA's while using them? That would, at least imo, balance them instead of how they're now.

Fracas

#fuckonami
The BTB maps' layouts are decent enough, but ordnance and the vehicle count ruin them completely for me. Played BTB maybe twice since launch. Flinch does the playlist no good either.

Havok

You must always be red team.
We've balanced the Scorpion this time you guys, we promise. Eight years of it being put in matchmaking and immediately removed because it played like crap? What's a Wraith?

...now lets put it way closer to one of the teams and then give the other team a different stupidly overpowered vehicle to compensate. It's all moot because the power weapon pinata is about to burst open anyway.

What a shame. Playing normal CTF on Exile with just normal-ass Hogs and Ghosts is actually a pretty good experience. Then Big Team ends up being a disaster.

No way. That's one of my favorite BTB maps in Halo 4. Next to Valhalla.
Didn't you also say that Boneyard was one of your favorite maps and praise BTB Slayer on it?

Yeah.

...what if the Gauss Hog got replaced by the Rail Hog?

I know they're meant to be the same thing but hear me out. Requires a charge time, reload times are identical, projectile arcs, no random ricochet function. Maybe just increase the blast radius a bit and damage proportionally.

Hell, you could even make it so firing it slows down the Warthog a bit because it's such a high-velocity projectile.

I've been watching GoT over the last week for the first time and I love it so far. I'm about halfway through season 1.

ijziusxvB8aXn.gif

Ghazi

So wait, are the Crimson Map Pack achievements going to be unattainable when the Crimson Playlist is replaced by the Majestic one? If so, lame.

You've had a lot of time to get them at this point.

Nope. That is such a bullshit justification. Playlists that are achievement specific should ALWAYS be active. If someone bought the map pack 2 month from now and was not able to get the achievements tied to it then its bullshit plain and simple.

It's a moot point because you can play crimson maps outside the playlist but saying "eh too late" is ridiculous.

blamite

So wait, are the Crimson Map Pack achievements going to be unattainable when the Crimson Playlist is replaced by the Majestic one? If so, lame.

No, in my experience they show up somewhat regularly outside of the Crimson playlist. It's surprisingly easy to get Wreckage or Shatter in BTB, and Harvest seems to show up in Infinity Slayer and CTF with decent regularity as well.

Omni

No, in my experience they show up somewhat regularly outside of the Crimson playlist. It's surprisingly easy to get Wreckage or Shatter in BTB, and Harvest seems to show up in Infinity Slayer and CTF with decent regularity as well.

I've never played a DLC map in playlists outside of Crimson, haha. The one time they came up, everyone voted for Valhalla.

Madness

Stop making MP achievements full stop

What's wrong with win a match on every new map, kill 100 people on map A, etc. Something that actively makes matches better?

Instead of dumb turret or mantis achievements on shatter, they could have had, win 5 extraction matches. Then people would actually play to win, and long after you've gotten the achievement any n00b who still hadn't would still be trying to win.

On a different note, I still can't believe the excuse they used to make up for their goof last map pack release. I read about it here, and checked all major gaming sites, none had picked it up you could get the map pack for free. I remember when mass effect 2 dlc was accidentally available, sites like kotaku, joystiq had it within seconds.

Only after a day or two when the problem wasn't fixed did sites write a small blurb at the end of their map pack previews of some people getting it free.

Once Microsoft came out with that ridiculous '14 day buy and play reward token' BS did every site from Kotaku to IGN have a full story. Nowhere was this 14 day buy and play reward token ever mentioned on Google, and only showed up after bs angel said the same thing word for word on her bulletin.

I really wonder, are the people who play the dlc maps, the ones who bought limited editions and got the maps, or were sales of the season pass huge? Out of roughly 26 halo players on my friends list, guys (and 2 girls) who played halo 2 and halo 3 with me day after day, for a few years, I'm the last halo 4 player.

Havok

What's wrong with win a match on every new map, kill 100 people on map A, etc. Something that actively makes matches better?
Because you'd be relying on those specific maps to actually pop up once the abysmally low-populated dedicated DLC playlist got cut, and this is Halo, so they'll show up once in a blue moon if you're lucky. Folks say it's better now, but that hasn't been my experience.

The Extraction example you mentioned is a better designed achievement because it'd be available to unlock on any Extraction-capable map in matchmaking (unless they tie it to the specific maps like they've been doing - a real dumb decision), and it's totally divorced from the part where you have to purchase something. Well, it would be, if they hadn't paywalled it behind Crimson (which still seems really gross).

Neither Bungie nor 343 have gotten multiplayer achievements right yet. Halo 3 had stuff like Save This Film and Mongoose Mowdown, Reach had all sorts of dumb DLC achievements, and while Halo 4's core achievements are actually pretty smart, the DLC stuff has again been pretty atrocious.

The funniest part is I never actually pulled up the dashboard and looked at what I had to do and I ended up getting most of them in the one night I played of them...some of them I didnt even do what its supposed to be.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
This line of thinking is great and I'm right there with you but allowing MP achievements to exist effects the playlist's...for the worse, and thats a bummer.
They want to get their hooks in for all the people who are OCD for achievements and so they have to have MP achievements because it'll keep them playing the game longer even if the person doesn't like the game and even if it means it will affect player behavior or how playlist are set up.
Stop giving a shit about Halo 4 full stop.

It's worked wonders for me!
ib1vLLgYZzUPMs.gif

Top Bottom