• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Haven't yet had a game on there. What's the differences to the map?

The basement is completely eliminated and rather than a large rectangle the map is roughly square in dimensions, cutting out the majority of the outer halls and supplementary fluff. Power weapons such as the Railgun and Sticky Detonator are frequent, consistent spawns, and encourage gameplay drawn to the center of the map for the duration of the match. Probably one of my favorite multiplayer experiences in the franchise, honestly.

Fuchsdh

The basement is completely eliminated and rather than a large rectangle the map is roughly square in dimensions, cutting out the majority of the outer halls and supplementary fluff. Power weapons such as the Railgun and Sticky Detonator are frequent, consistent spawns, and encourage gameplay drawn to the center of the map for the duration of the match. Probably one of my favorite multiplayer experiences in the franchise, honestly.

Hmm, be interesting to play. The basement in general just doesn't get much love in any game except maybe an oddball match--you can play the game without it beig blocked off and never go there except for initial weapon spawns.

Is anyone interested in organizing a customs night? Try out some GAF maps and gametypes while complaining about everything. It'll be great.

m23

Looking forward to Team Throwdown. No work on Monday, so I'll actually have time to play some Halo. After I'm done analyzing Destiny info, of course.

Have we heard anything new about the Majestic map pack? Isn't it supposed to come out in 11 days?

Monday will be good, we have Family Day here in Canada so everyone gets time off. My time will be spent playing the new playlist with friends, family can wait.

Dirtbag

I hope the new playlist will be the most popular. It would really prove what we have been preaching about since launch.

How could it possibly be the most popular at this point in the games life?
No radar playlists never see large populations ever. It will see numbers like Team Doubles

The only chance it had is if the word Slayer was in the title.

Tawpgun

I hope the new playlist will be the most popular. It would really prove what we have been preaching about since launch.

It's a pro playlist, it won't have that much.

But say they made a playlist with set loadouts, AA's, static ordnance, no instant respawn, no JIP, and called in Team Slayer, and then removed Infinity Slayer, that playlist would have a huge population.

Honestly, what they should do is have a Slayer Playlist with 3 voting options.

Infinity Slayer, Slayer, and Slayer Pro.

Regular slayer is basically Reach. You have set loadouts, static ordnance.
Slayer Pro is the same as it is in dubs, and infinity slayer is fiesta crazy

Computer

But say they made a playlist with set loadouts, AA's, static ordnance, no instant respawn, no JIP, and called in Team Slayer, and then removed Infinity Slayer, that playlist would have a huge population.

The funny thing is what we call slayer pro now used to just be slayer or slayer BR. I wish the would stop with all the label BS. Your idea of voting on a type of slayer is exactly how it should be for a social playlist. Anything with infinity in it does not deserve its own playlist.
This game is already turning into Halo Reach with too many game types with different settings because the game was fucked from the start.

Striker

This game is already turning into Halo Reach with too many game types with different settings because the game was fucked from the start.
Bungie had a small issue with that initially in Reach, namely regular settings and then used Classic which was supposed to have sprint as the AA and your AR/Mag starts. But really that's all different it was, it was all the same in regards to your shooting.

Then 343 did the TU, so it became 100, 85, then later no bloom. Total mess and people had wondered why they didn't just lay it all out entirely instead of half-ass it (should've been everywhere except Invasion). Here we are again with a similar situation.

Anything with the "Team Slayer" playlist name is going to do gangbusters since it's what most of the population is familiar with. If "Slayer Pro" had been named "Team Slayer" at launch I bet it's population would be higher since people are so used to just picking the top playlist.

Alchemical

Neo Member
Bungie had a small issue with that initially in Reach, namely regular settings and then used Classic which was supposed to have sprint as the AA and your AR/Mag starts. But really that's all different it was, it was all the same in regards to your shooting.

Then 343 did the TU, so it became 100, 85, then later no bloom. Total mess and people had wondered why they didn't just lay it all out entirely instead of half-ass it (should've been everywhere except Invasion). Here we are again with a similar situation.

I remember this and I also remember reading the floods of complaints over on b.net telling them to get rid of Classic as a voting option and / or give it its own playlist. And get rid of bloom. As we all know, it took a hell of a long time for the latter to be implemented, by which time so many had jumped ship, it was difficult to find friends who wanted to play.

I guess something can be said for the speed of the implementation of this playlist, when compared with the timeline of Reach fixes. That said, my number one priority when it comes to 'competitive' playlists (or anything that's supposed to be viewed as such) is a sizeable population. Without the latter, the rest (i.e. settings, maps etc.) fades into oblivion. And I'm certainly not expecting this playlist to draw in massive numbers.

I hazard a guess that the large majority will simply continue to play Infinity
Fiesta-Rock-Paper-Scissors
Slayer, which is hugely depressing, but meh.

So, uh if the Valentine's cards from the bulletin are the new maps, why does one clearly have a Warthog and what appears to be a Wraith in the small maps map pack?

Korosenai

So, uh if the Valentine's cards from the bulletin are the new maps, why does one clearly have a Warthog and what appears to be a Wraith in the small maps map pack?
I think there are supposed to be two small maps and one medium. I remember someone saying that on here before.

Indeed. I just find it odd that they announce a very nice sounding competitive playlist that fixes most the issues folks had and somehow it's still shit. Just doesn't make sense to me.
To offer my response:

It's not like Halo 2 & Halo 3 were perfect. They had flaws, and we criticised plenty (but still playing the game every night and having a blast).
So the level of enjoyment people had with 2 & 3 is the base requirement in a sense.

So when we finally, months later, get what's supposed to be our more competitive, closer to classic Halo playlist and it still has things we (I) don't like (e.g. Sprint, and some kind of loadout personal ordinance [I'm unclear on this]) then criticism is to be expected. Nevermind layering in the cynicism has 343 has arguably earned when it comes their level of implementation.

--------------------------------------------

Played some Team Snipers tonight, alone.
Getting matched against full teams of players, all with some Specializations unclocked [me not having any], having a crappy player and his worse guest... uggggh.

It was however the first time I've felt grateful to have JIP, as those terribad players quit half way through the match, and about a minute or two later, they had been replaced with much better ones.

--------------------------------------------

What's the reasoning behind us not seeing the maps properly yet? Are they not getting a trailer?

BigShow36

Indeed. I just find it odd that they announce a very nice sounding competitive playlist that fixes most the issues folks had and somehow it's still shit. Just doesn't make sense to me.

My issues are with the underlying gameplay; the strafe speed, the aim assist, the kill times.

Fixing playlists is meaningless for me until they fix the actual gameplay.

How is the Pro playlist going to be good when there are no more pros playing this game and all the good players have left (besides like 4 people from here)?

In an unranked playlist...thats social...and not competitive.

And MLG isnt throwing Halo tournaments anymore.

Where is the motivation to even try and play this game competitively? For bragging rights?

"Hey bro, check this game out (Link to waypoint that doesnt work) I shit on a bunch of kids that you cant tell if they are good or bad without thirty minutes of research!"

Get realllllllllll.

Computer

[
My issues are with the underlying gameplay; the strafe speed, the aim assist, the kill times.

Fixing playlists is meaningless for me until they fix the actual gameplay.
I feel that 5 shots is too much. Feels like shooting a bullet sponge at time espesaly the back of the head as they run away. The BR DMR should be 4 shots with a tad slower fire rate.

Who wants to take bets on how bad the MP achievements associated with Majestic will be?

Why can't they just have achievements like "Win 5 CTF matches on X" "Kill the ball carrier twice on Y in one match" "Kill 100 players on Z"? They encourage what the player is supposed to do in the game and not dumb antics like constantly going up a ramp with a Warthog hoping to get a kill.

There are probably 295838X more people who go to IGN a day than HaloWaypoint.
I have no problems with the map pack being advertised everywhere, what I dislike is 343 embargo'ing themselves because they sold the exclusive rights to whatever news to whatever news agency.
"Oh we can't talk about why we added perks because Game Informer has exclusivity for this entire month."
"Oh we can't talk about the specializations because IGN has an exclusive article coming out next week."

That kind of stuff disappoints me, when they can't address their community because of self-placed embargos.
Especially when those sources of information are faulty and the info must be re-clarified by 343 after chaos has erupted in the community.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I have no problems with the map pack being advertised everywhere, what I dislike is 343 embargo'ing themselves because they sold the exclusive rights to whatever news to whatever news agency.
"Oh we can't talk about why we added perks because Game Informer has exclusivity for this entire month."
"Oh we can't talk about the specializations because IGN has an exclusive article coming out next week."

That kind of stuff disappoints me, when they can't address their community because of self-placed embargos.

That's just the way it works. You do big reveals to build hype. It's DLC, something they want to sell.

FyreWulff

That's just the way it works. You do big reveals to build hype. It's DLC, something they want to sell.

It's the way it works now but it doesn't have to. It's annoying when you can't talk about something you've created because a media outlet bought or obtained through other methods an exclusive on revealing the thing you created.

Parts of this are touched on in this video about preorders that TotalBiscuit made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqxWqU5pYwk&feature=youtu.be

Top Bottom