• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Computron

ib1vLLgYZzUPMs.gif

Where is this from?

So IGN is streaming the Destiny reveal live? This could be crazy Sunday.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/15/ign-live-presents-the-reveal-of-bungies-destiny

IGN really needs to change their headlines to b more accurate. At the very least append "...this Sunday" somewhere in there.

That's how I feel about Reach and to a lesser extent Halo 4. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel and just focus on maps, gametypes(keep the good tried and true ones and introduce new ones that compliment but do not overshadow old ones),making matchmaking better, etc. Played Halo 3 the other day after about a year of not having played it, and the gameplay was so much tighter and refined than either Reach/4.

I'm telling you, if for the classic multiplayer they just went full TF2 mode and kept adding armours and weapon skins, and then expansion packs with new modes and maps... they'd rake in the dough. Mainline release would be fine for campaign content, sustained through with a way more in-depth SpOps, and bananas multiplayer, like... MAG/PlanetSide/Battlefront/Battlefield or whatever, just all over crazy zaniness for the Infinity/BTB fans, totally different than classic multiplayer.

Leave classic alone, and just refine it slowly over time. TF2 model has gotta work perfectly for that. Rolling-release Halo 1/2/3 MM? Yes please, I'll eat it up.

@Bold

Halo developers should stop trying to evolve its gameplay. If it's not broke don't fix it.

That's how I feel about Reach and to a lesser extent Halo 4. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel and just focus on maps, gametypes(keep the good tried and true ones and introduce new ones that compliment but do not overshadow old ones),making matchmaking better, etc. Played Halo 3 the other day after about a year of not having played it, and the gameplay was so much tighter and refined than either Reach/4.

PNut

Banned
Played Halo 3 the other day after about a year of not having played it, and the gameplay was so much tighter and refined than either Reach/4.

Minus the shotty netcode they did a really good job with the maps, gametypes, custom game settings and forge in Halo 3. After playing a ton of Reach and H4, maps like Isolation and Snowbound are not as bad as I remembered them. I hate AR starts but for the most part finding a BR laying around wasn't that difficult looking back.

Fighting it out for Lazer on Standoff is still fun. Same for Valhalla. BTB bomb/flag games on Avalanche and Rat's Nest still delivers for me. A good team controlling the vehicles and power weapons will always win even in BTB. Sooo much fun.

Karl2177

Wow i never expected this much of a drop. MS must be pissed.

http://halocharts.com/2012/chart/dailypeakpopulation/all

If you combine the past week's peak populations, it doesn't equal the day 1 peak population(which wasn't even the highest!). Even when you add up all of the hourly data points for today, it comes out to be around 700 000. So if we assume that a player gets online for exactly 1 hour and they stop playing, this game is only managing to maintain close to 1/10th of the sales it had, assuming a 1/2 per previous month growth(which is probably a lot more than it sold, considering it had an estimated 3.5m after the first week).

Madness

If you combine the past week's peak populations, it doesn't equal the day 1 peak population(which wasn't even the highest!). Even when you add up all of the hourly data points for today, it comes out to be around 700 000. So if we assume that a player gets online for exactly 1 hour and they stop playing, this game is only managing to maintain close to 1/10th of the sales it had, assuming a 1/2 per previous month growth(which is probably a lot more than it sold, considering it had an estimated 3.5m after the first week).

You know what I'm starting to think more and more? The missteps with Reach and halo 4 have done a number on the halo brand. Sure it still sells a lot, but it's no longer THE killer game to get. Aside from Halo fans, no one really remembers Reach, same goes for Halo 4. It was a complete non-event for a lot of people.

Now I'm not saying they should chase CoD or go after non-fans, I just think people don't really care for Halo much anymore. My younger cousins used to pester the hell out of me to let them play halo 3, borrow ODST. They played a few matches of Reach but they didn't even care about Halo 4. Now this is anecdotal of course, but out of roughly 70+ people I have on my friends list, nearly 50+ have played halo 3, have played ODST, roughly 30 something played Reach, and less than 25 or so have touched Halo 4. No one still plays any Halo game except for me.

I'm probably just rambling, but I mean Halo was a game they made because they wanted to make the best FPS they could. They didn't try to shoehorn themselves like other games, they didn't care if they could capture the casual market. You either played it or you didn't, and when it was good, everyone wanted to play it. Now you have the most hard core and passionate fans not want to play it either.

CliQ

...what if the Gauss Hog got replaced by the Rail Hog?

I know they're meant to be the same thing but hear me out. Requires a charge time, reload times are identical, projectile arcs, no random ricochet function. Maybe just increase the blast radius a bit and damage proportionally.

Hell, you could even make it so firing it slows down the Warthog a bit because it's such a high-velocity projectile.

Rail Hog sounds really cool. I miss the falcon though. It was just a kick ass vehicle to see in the sky.

CliQ

You know everyone could just stop looking at populations and all the other bullshit and just play the game. If you like Halo 4 great, if not go play another Halo game. Team Throwback is a competitive playlist coming out that sounds fun.

If you say it's too late then you might want to think again because all you have to do is forget that kind of thinking and just play in the playlist.

As of next week Halo 4 will have something for everyone from the casuals to the griffballers to the competitive players.

Now all you have to do is ask yourself, what do we do now?

Now we can finally play the game.

Wow i never expected this much of a drop. MS must be pissed.

http://halocharts.com/2012/chart/dailypeakpopulation/all

Or maybe it was part of their plan all along? They want everyone to buy the next killer app this fall, probably on their new box, too. Maybe they didn't want the next Xbox to have Halo 4 as the most played title for years like they did with the 360 and Halo 2. They sold enough, who cares how long people play, they even sell map packs in advance now.

So much shit to catch up on.. Happy Belated Valentine's Day lovelies! <3

Destiny reveal Sunday is going to be LEGIT! PS4 next week and got some Nintendo shit to catch up tonight (Luigi's Mansion 2 I hear?) Lesdodiss. Bodyready.

Welp, just caught up on some stuff and Monster Hunter looks cray. 2013 is going to be a great year.

Or maybe it was part of their plan all along? They want everyone to buy the next killer app this fall, probably on their new box, too. Maybe they didn't want the next Xbox to have Halo 4 as the most played title for years like they did with the 360 and Halo 2. They sold enough, who cares how long people play, they even sell map packs in advance now.
Posts like these are why I still lurk here. I can't tell if you're trying to play this straight and I don't even care.

HTupolev

"Mr. Bill Gates sir, how are we going to expand and evolve our exclusive IP selection?"

"It's simple. We come up with new IP, and then murder our established billion-dollar franchise to promote the new one and make it look better."

Seems legit.

You know everyone could just stop looking at populations and all the other bullshit and just play the game. If you like Halo 4 great, if not go play another Halo game. Team Throwback is a competitive playlist coming out that sounds fun.

If you say it's too late then you might want to think again because all you have to do is forget that kind of thinking and just play in the playlist.

As of next week Halo 4 will have something for everyone from the casuals to the griffballers to the competitive players.

Now all you have to do is ask yourself, what do we do now?

Now we can finally play the game.

Oh did they remove flinch and perks and all loadout grinding? Can I get on and choose all the features? Have they added the ranking system into the game?

Can I be put not against huge teams of players if I get online at night and noone I know is on? No mercenaries playlist yet? Oh that makes sense I'll just play some FFA, have they added any FFA where the spawn system isnt based on Mario Kart AI?

Dat 60k barrier. No there must be a place for everyone cause theres so many people on all the time...

stephen08

The problem with Team Throwback is that it really is confirmation of what we always sort of dreaded with Halo 4. Classic Halo is now a fringe gametype made as sort of a peace offering to players that felt neglected by 343i.

Now if the list is great that's nice and I certainly don't begrudge anyone playing it but it still has various problems. First, it is exclusively 4v4. If you have 4 friends on you have to either play something else, leave someone out, or go in with 5.

This brings up another issue. Available maps and content. This list sounds good for players who like really competitive MLG-esque gametypes on small maps. Personally, I like those too. But a huge part of Halo to me has always been larger maps, team sizes and vehicles. If you want to play with throwback settings you have no way to do so on these larger maps outside of custom games. Switching between Throwback and something like Big Team is going to just make the vanilla Halo 4 changes all the more infuriating.

Finally, the last problem with it is going to be a carry over from all Halo 4 lists. If you are good once you start ranking up the trueskill restrictions will make the suitable match pool dwindle so lag during these games will become the norm. Especially if you play in a cross country group frequently.

The settings themselves do sound nice but I doubt it will draw me back in any meaningful capacity. If I am wanting to play Halo these days I just pop in Reach for a couple games.

Madness

What's the name of the UNSC Infinity character in Halo 4 who's on Chief's case the whole time? The guy Cortana yells at?

Captain Del Rio? The moronic stereotype expertly written by 343 to inject useless banter and to promote Lasky into the story?

Think about it, Chief literally saved humanity, is respected and liked by almost every high ranking officer and some douchebag captain out of nowhere thinks he knows more than him.

It doesn't matter how hard I hit melee, its always random whether or not I perform an assassination. Fuck that

This is so true.

Assassinations need to either be mapped to a different key or removed. While it's a smaller issue in the grand scheme it's still an issue

Petrichor

This is so true.

Assassinations need to either be mapped to a different key or removed. While it's a smaller issue in the grand scheme it's still an issue

I'd honestly prefer it if everything that takes you out of first person (other than vehicles) were removed from the sandbox, it always breaks the immersion for me when I activate an armor ability, pick up a turret, or perform an assassination.

willow ve

It doesn't matter how hard I hit melee, its always random whether or not I perform an assassination. Fuck that

This is so true.

What if they added a feature that let you double tap the melee to halt the assassination? I agree it should be a toggle, but we all know we're never getting toggles for things in game. Ever. whitetext.conan

Turns out Halo was the Halo killer.
Halo's been a franchise on the decline, but I don't think that's been a testament to its quality, personal opinions aside. This idea that changing minutia (that may mean a lot to us but doesn't mean anything to casual players) will somehow affect population is flawed. Sure, you might be able to win back classic fans, but you're not going to see that number jump up by tens of thousands, if you see it go up at all. But, it's still worth it for your loyal fans, they've suffered a lot of mistreatment at the hands of Microsoft:

-Crackdown-required Halo 3 beta
-Halo Wars LE timed exclusivity for Mythic Map Pack 1
-ODST launch price
-shutting down legacy Xbox support, killing Halo 2 on Xbox LIVE which had thousands of players a day
-Halo: Reach title update debacle
-Halo 4

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So if there truly is no backwards compatibility either MS is re-releasing Halo 4 or Anniversary 2 is coming this year, which still doesn't make sense.

Top Bottom