• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Karl2177

It's impossible to have a good story without some bad decisions. It's just a matter of if those bad decisions came from the characters or the person writing them. Realize that 343 already has this planned as a trilogy. There's more to everything than just the first act. Until we hit the end of the trilogy, it's not going to be clear as to who is in the wrong.

Omni

The Elites are evil now? Are we talking the rogue bad Elites? After Halo 3 they were on humanity's side. Unless she's working with Elite terrorists I don't see the issue. She leaves the UNSC and works with the ally Elites?

UNSC always gave her shit for the sketchy Spartan II program. Spartans loved her, but ONI did not.

She's working with Storm.

You know, the faction that hates humans and wants to stop us growing too powerful? Also the same group that hates the Arbiter and his allies.

Havok

Having played it now, I still think 5 caps to win on Adrift CTF is a mistake. Combined with Flag at Home to Score, you get these really boring stalemates where nobody is willing to overextend themselves. We ended up 5-0ing them, but only after they lost a teammate. We were screwed out of our first cap, too - we got it all the way back to our base, the carrier died, and the flag got stuck in the ceiling/walkways. TU needs to fix that shit pronto, it's infuriating.

Flag capture radius seems really small. I had to walk really precisely over the capture point (so that the geometry bumped me upwards) in order to get the cap, which isn't anything like vanilla settings, where you can walk anywhere on that plate and it'll capture.

Also, plasma grenades on spawn in Throwdown Deluxe. No thanks.

Certainly plays much better than vanilla H4, that's for sure, but some of the matchmaking wrappers need to be polished up.

Moa

You don't see anything wrong with turning a fan favorite evil and wanting revenge? Everything she did was for humanity and now she's working against them. If you go by the games, she was around to help rebuild and re-terraform Reach. And now, she's working with the elites? Might as well say fuck it and have Chief go and start shooting humans too. It's a dark turn for the series.

When did they treat her like shit? Halsey was literally a mother to most Spartans and well respected. It was 343 and that bullshit writer Traviss that tried to turn her into the next Hitler.

Whatever, this just means whatever interest I had in the story is done. A damn shame too. Prop up bullshit characters like Sarah Palmer and demonize Halsey/Spartan-II's.

The fact you are willing to judge so quick is pathetic, we don't know how the story is going to pan out from here, for all we know, she could be playing along with
Jul 'Mdama until she gets back to Earth or humanity, she has no choice but to work with them.

Halsey is treated like shit because they are making the storyline exciting, I know for sure that the final speech from Halsey & Jul has me excited for the future

You are over reacting, hugely.

Also, who says Halsey is actually alive in 2582 (if that's when Reach's after-credits ending was), there is no evidence she is there on the planet, only she is talking.

Just throwing it out there:
I have a feeling they could have saved Halsey's arm if they really wanted to. Glassman got the shit beat out of him and if you tried that with someone as old as Halsey she'd probably be dead. So what do you do? Amputate a part of the body that can be replaced if absolutely necessary. Note how Jul kept one of her arms intact, just in case he needs her to activate any Reclaimer-only Forerunner tech.

I have a feeling Halsey's just leading the Elites on. Chief'll save her (maybe).

blamite

I don't honestly see anything wrong with that, the UNSC & ONI have treated her like shit for years now, forgetting what she did probably saved the entire human race in 2552/3.
This is part of the problem, since it only really started happening a year or so ago with Glasslands. If Halsey had always been treated the way she's treated now it'd at least be a little understandable why she'd defect, but the fact that the whole thing is part of a huge 180 343 has pulled on her entire character in the past few years just makes it worse. If it made any sense at all they wouldn't have to go this far out of their way to make it happen.

The Elites are evil now? Are we talking the rogue bad Elites? After Halo 3 they were on humanity's side. Unless she's working with Elite terrorists I don't see the issue. She leaves the UNSC and works with the ally Elites?

UNSC always gave her shit for the sketchy Spartan II program. Spartans loved her, but ONI did not.

She's "working with" Jul 'Mdama now. The elite terrorist who decided to come and awaken the Didact in the first place.

The story wasnt that bad. Go watch it, people should by now recognise HaloGAFs massive overreactions to everything. The story was good. Opens up some new possibilities. Would have liked to see something to do with the chief. If there is a season 2 I would pay for it. The improvements to the missions between the first and second half.

And judging Davids comments leads me to believe a second season would tackle a lot of the problems remaining. Scoring, Lives, scaling etc etc.

And anyone taking Madness seriously needs to go look at his posting history.

Mix

So, I was looking at the pre order page for Destiny over at gamestop and it says that if you preorder it you get not only a poster, but Destiny 2 as well...

mMapWRC.jpg

I love what they did with Hasley. I don't think anyone considers her evil. The only "evil" person is Palmer really. If Hasley knew about Lasky trying to save her, she may think differently, but her execution order was the last straw on the camel's back for her. It's two side with each good points. They made an already interesting character more interesting.

343 blowing up Requiem is a bold move and I'm surprised they implemented such a vital part of the story in Spartan Ops, and glad they did as well. I feel like I actually progress in the Halo storyline now.

Bring us Season 2, 343. Loved the story, though there are lots of ways to improve the gameplay. Fantastic job nonetheless.

No one considers Halsey evil? Have you not paid attention to anything over the last three years? Lol?

I mean the fans, not the characters. I think she's great and always have.

Yeah, I don't really buy that
Supposedly one of the smartest humans that ever lived, decided to join the hyper religious part of an organisation that wants to see the entire human race destroyed, because one person wants her dead.

She think it's the whole UNSC. She wasn't aware of Lasky's actions to save her.

You don't see anything wrong with turning a fan favorite evil and wanting revenge? Everything she did was for humanity and now she's working against them. If you go by the games, she was around to help rebuild and re-terraform Reach. And now, she's working with the elites? Might as well say fuck it and have Chief go and start shooting humans too. It's a dark turn for the series.

When did they treat her like shit? Halsey was literally a mother to most Spartans and well respected. It was 343 and that bullshit writer Traviss that tried to turn her into the next Hitler.

Whatever, this just means whatever interest I had in the story is done. A damn shame too. Prop up bullshit characters like Sarah Palmer and demonize Halsey/Spartan-II's.

A total cop out ending. Not interesting, just pure bullshit. If you read the original books she was so dedicated to helping humanity, its just so out of character. Not to mention the who character assasination, I mean Keyes was a hero right even though
He helped her kidnap kids)
Also, what about the SIII's?

The campaign story was shit, this made it totally worse. Not because it was an ending I didn't like. It's because it had poor writing and too much let's do this for shock value.

Story wise, what is there to look forward too?
Chief meeting up with a gimped Halsey who is now a turncoat because they tried to kill her? The journey of Chief to fix Cortana's rampancy?
No, we get Palmer.

Team throwdown

I'll start off by saying the V2 settings are very good, got a really nice Halo 2/3 vibe with the BR and I'm surprised at how much better the movement feels at 110%. Weapon drops on Haven and Adrift (rockets top mid <3) are sensible. Overshield is actually worth it at 200%.

Now the problems. Probably the biggest issue is players pressing B to exit at the map selection screen. It's a problem for Halo 4 as a whole but its effect is amplified in throwdown because jip is disabled. Multiple games have started 3v4 now, in only my first play session. In slayer? Not a huge problem. In objective? Might as well not even start the game.

Snipers spawn too fast on adrift ctf and probably with too much ammo.

Needs an emergency, overnight removal: the sword on shutout. But but it was in Halo 2!..... Yea it doesn't work at all in Halo 4 because the wielder has sprint; you cannot slow their sprint with gunfire; the battle rifle is five shots not four; there's no bxr, double shot or boltshot on spawn to counter the godzilla running around tight walkways with sprint and sword; no radar means a lot of surprise sprint slashes from no where. Remove it from the map.

Why would they remove the shotgun from lockout but leave the sword? If you sprint with the shotty and are shot you'll slow down; you can waste shotgun ammo or miss; you cannot sprint and shoot simultaneously.

I'm sure this will be a stellar playlist if a few glaring issues are ironed out. Overall it's pretty good.

Supposedly one of the smartest humans that ever lived, decided to join the hyper religious part of an organisation that wants to see the entire human race destroyed, because one person wants her dead. If she's just using the elites to stay alive and get to safety, I'd be okay with it. However, it'd be really stupid if Halsey becomes a villain in the next Halo games. To me, that would completely destroy here previous established character.(The one in the books before Karin Travis')

Omni

I love what they did with Hasley. I don't think anyone considers her evil. The only "evil" person is Palmer really. If Hasley knew about Lasky trying to save her, she may think differently, but her execution order was the last straw on the camel's back for her. It's two side with each good points. They made an already interesting character more interesting.

343 blowing up Requiem is a bold move and I'm surprised they implemented such a vital part of the story in Spartan Ops, and glad they did as well. I feel like I actually progress in the Halo storyline now.

Bring us Season 2, 343. Loved the story, though there are lots of ways to improve the gameplay. Fantastic job nonetheless.

No one considers Halsey evil? Have you not paid attention to anything over the last three years? Lol?

We never even got an explanation of who these Elites are, why are they against humans again? Where are the Brutes?

No Fuckin Sense, this entire story.

It's in the books. The creation of Storm is actually very nicely written about in Glasslands and Thursday War.

Sooooo what would they even do for a spartan ops season 2? Since ya know
Requiem is destroyed now

I didn't think the ending was as bad as everyone is making it out to be. The last line is corny, but it wasn't as bad as the
GODDAMN QTE CAMPAIGN ENDING
'

So, I was looking at the pre order page for Destiny over at gamestop and it says that if you preorder it you get not only a poster, but Destiny 2 as well..

probably just a typo. they look pretty kickass, i'd love to get 2 copies of each

Supposedly one of the smartest humans that ever lived, decided to join the hyper religious part of an organisation that wants to see the entire human race destroyed, because one person wants her dead. If she's just using the elites to stay alive and get to safety, I'd be okay with it. However, it'd be really stupid if Halsey becomes a villain in the next Halo games. To me, that would completely destroy here previous established character.(The one in the books before Karin Travis')

Yeah well this is why HaloGAF has turned to DestinyGAF. They really fucked up this game and a lot of people are not coming back. Especially if Destiny has a MP that feels like Halo. Looking at that vidoc, the player movement looked just like a Halo game.

TheOddOne

People thinking that Halsey is going to the other side are crazy. How else was she suppose to leverage in the situation she was put in, heck she fooled the UNSC during the whole season. Way to much overreaction.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

I doubt they go there. Seems like she's just using them. Funny to see people freak out though, given how the UNSC had treated her the last few games/books.

Yeah well this is why HaloGAF has turned to DestinyGAF. They really fucked up this game and a lot of people are not coming back. Especially if Destiny has a MP that feels like Halo. Looking at that vidoc, the player movement looked just like a Halo game.

I think you are way overreacting to the situation. To each his own though.

She think it's the whole UNSC. She wasn't aware of Lasky's actions to save her.
Majestic was there first, and they weren't trying to kill her. Only Palmer was shooting her. If she's the genius she's supposed to be, it may occur to her that maybe not everyone wanted her dead, before she decides to join the genocidal aliens. Again, if it's all an elaborate hoax, I'm fine with it.

Caja 117

Having played it now, I still think 5 caps to win on Adrift CTF is a mistake. Combined with Flag at Home to Score, you get these really boring stalemates where nobody is willing to overextend themselves. We ended up 5-0ing them, but only after they lost a teammate. We were screwed out of our first cap, too - we got it all the way back to our base, the carrier died, and the flag got stuck in the ceiling/walkways. TU needs to fix that shit pronto, it's infuriating.

Flag capture radius seems really small. I had to walk really precisely over the capture point (so that the geometry bumped me upwards) in order to get the cap, which isn't anything like vanilla settings, where you can walk anywhere on that plate and it'll capture.

Also, plasma grenades on spawn in Throwdown Deluxe. No thanks.

Certainly plays much better than vanilla H4, that's for sure, but some of the matchmaking wrappers need to be polished up.

Yeah, i encountered this problem as well, hope, they fix this.

TheOddOne

Majestic was there first, and they weren't trying to kill her. Only Palmer was shooting her. If she's the genius she's supposed to be, it may occur to her that maybe not everyone wanted her dead, before she decides to join the genocidal aliens. Again, if it's all an elaborate hoax, I'm fine with it.
If that happens, well fuck...RIP Haloz.

Team throwdown

I'll start off by saying the V2 settings are very good, got a really nice Halo 2/3 vibe with the BR and I'm surprised at how much better the movement feels at 110%. Weapon drops on Haven and Adrift (rockets top mid <3) are sensible. Overshield is actually worth it at 200%.

Now the problems. Probably the biggest issue is players pressing B to exit at the map selection screen. It's a problem for Halo 4 as a whole but its effect is amplified in throwdown because jip is disabled. Multiple games have started 3v4 now, in only my first play session. In slayer? Not a huge problem. In objective? Might as well not even start the game.

Snipers spawn too fast on adrift ctf and probably with too much ammo.

Needs an emergency, overnight removal: the sword on shutout. But but it was in Halo 2!..... Yea it doesn't work at all in Halo 4 because the wielder has sprint; you cannot slow their sprint with gunfire; the battle rifle is five shots not four; there's no bxr, double shot or boltshot on spawn to counter the godzilla running around tight walkways with sprint and sword; no radar means a lot of surprise sprint slashes from no where. Remove it from the map.

Why would they remove the shotgun from lockout but leave the sword? If you sprint with the shotty and are shot you'll slow down; you can waste shotgun ammo or miss; you cannot sprint and shoot simultaneously.

I'm sure this will be a stellar playlist if a few glaring issues are ironed out. Overall it's pretty good.

Pretty big problem as, no doubt, Tashi would agree.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
This thread now reads like a season finale thread to "24." Seems like 343 is getting the reaction they wanted. Season finales are supposed to be shocking and give fans something to discuss until the next season. Usually you then find out the twist isn't quite what you thought it was. I assume that will be the case here too.

willow ve

Four matches into Team Throwdown. Really enjoy the settings - has the feel of making me want to win. To play just one more game. But...

Competitive playlist + no ranks + no quit penalty = lopsided matches all day long.

4v3 CTF
4v2 Slayer
4v1 KOTH
4v1 Slayer

GG

Also - jumps on lockout are broken. Right?

ElRenoRaven

So um yea. Episode 10. I'm done. I mean it. 343 has successfully killed any interest in the franchise now. I liked the season but that ending was the last straw.

Moa

*sigh*

Those who are posting that Episode 10 killed the story for you, please explain why, I seriously want to know why you thought it sucked.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Four matches into Team Throwdown. Really enjoy the settings - has the feel of making me want to win. To play just one more game. But...

Competitive playlist + no ranks + no quit penalty = lopsided matches all day long.

4v3 CTF
4v2 Slayer
4v1 KOTH
4v1 Slayer

GG

Also - jumps on lockout are broken. Right?

Yea I did a lot of quitting out today because matchmaking was fucking things up. Uneven teams and all. Other than that the playlist was awesome.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
*sigh*

Those who are posting that Episode 10 killed the story for you, please explain why, I seriously want to know why you thought it sucked.

People hate twists apparently. I don't think what's happening is actually what's happening. It's a finale, supposed to get you talking.

This thread now reads like a season finale thread to "24." Seems like 343 is getting the reaction they wanted. Season finales are supposed to be shocking and give fans something to discuss until the next season. Usually you then find out the twist isn't quite what you thought it was. I assume that will be the case here too.

Except people liked 24. Halo 4 is already so unpopular that the story had a lot to do with people coming back. IMO, they could not have done worse.

Really looking forward to this playlist tonight. Nice to see some fairly positive comments about it so far.

What happened to "your armor abilities and mods effect your armor and the way you look"? It sounded like a neat way to give more predictability to the enemies gear, etc.
In terms of the Specializations, it certainly seemed like a no-brainer. I don't understand why 343 didn't go through with it.

Also, I built a map over the weekend. Still need to add spawns and gametypes, but I'm happy to show anyone who wants to see it and give feedback.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Except people liked 24. Halo 4 is already so unpopular that the story had a lot to do with people coming back. IMO, they could not have done worse.

Yes, those millions of sales = everyone hates Halo 4. More like HaloGaf hates Halo 4, and other people have stopped playing multiplayer due to other games.

I don't either, but I don't think that's whats happening here.
As you mentioned Halsey does has to give Jul a reason to keep her alive and in the loop otherwise she's entirely screwed. Now if her machinations can put her in a position in the end to extract a little personal or professional revenge on particular individuals, then that's just a bonus.

There's no way 343 turns Halsey into a vengeance filled villain. They just needed some twist to tease the continuing story without getting into details.
I want more Spartan Ops. Wonder what 343 has planned.

Fuchsdh

I don't either, but I don't think that's whats happening here.
As you mentioned Halsey does has to give Jul a reason to keep her alive and in the loop otherwise she's entirely screwed. Now if her machinations can put her in a position in the end to extract a little personal or professional revenge on particular individuals, then that's just a bonus.

There's no way 343 turns Halsey into a vengeance filled villain. They just needed some twist to tease the continuing story without getting into details.
I want more Spartan Ops. Wonder what 343 has planned.

Precisely. She is not an idiot and she knows where the chips have fallen.

Sorry twists that make no sense I can understand getting mad at. But if it realistically seems like something a character would do its entirely valid.

Fan overreaction doesn't help with speculating for the future of Halo's Lore.

Let's see many of the posts other GAFfers pointed out their observations to Episode 10.

Halsey is possibly acting along with the Storm Covenant due to her current predicament. She's handicapped, held aboard a Covenant Ship, and the Janus key is incomplete possessed by both the Storm & UNSC. It doesn't add up that she has turned "Evil" which is irrelevant but something to consider yet she's a highly intelligent woman and doesn't express the White & Black perspectives of reality but within the middle of all the chaos Catherine does what's essentially needed to be done regardless of anyone's approval for the greater good. Her Will isn't broken nor her perspective over Humanity. ONI on the other hand has played the UNSC as puppets. It's becoming evident Halo is becoming darker and that's what 343 wants to set the Lore for in this Trilogy. I invite Season 2 of Spartan Ops if they do decide to follow up with it or something completely different.

Why would you see a page filled with spoiler tags and choose not to include them yourself?
I don't care enough to. And it's primarily due to the overreaction of others negative feedback.

Omni

I played a game of V2 King of the Hill on V2 Shutout in the Team Throwdown playlist earlier tonight. It almost felt like classic Halo with the BR starts. Absolutely loved it. I would continue playing it into the future, but honestly, the lack of radar kills it for me.

Shame really. Guess I'll go back to the CTF playlist and hope that Infinity CTF isn't chosen.

Top Bottom