• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Nowise10

I can't believe we're STILL going to be fighting elites, grunts and jackals in Halo 5 - so much for a bold new era for the franchise.

Ah lets see what i can pull out of this statement.

If their weren't covenant in Halo 4, you would be complaining how 343 just completely dropped a super indepth species, and how their new enemies suck. You'd have to also say goodbye to every covenant vehicle and weapon. Even if they had created a cool enemy (in which they did) to replace, you would still argue saying they made the wrong choice, and vice versa.

Might as well also be saying we should stop fighting humans in video games, because we've been doing it for along time. Good logic.

I swear you guys just look for a game element, and then try to complain about it.
"OMG 343, you used blue portals to get us to an area! You suck". K, Thats part of the scifi of the game bro. Would you rather have walked to this area? Oh wait, that area is about 5 miles away.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I wanted/still want to like this game, it's just really hard when it is not getting any better.

Where the fuck have you been? People are saying 2nd half of SpOps shits on the first half. New playlists with new setttings and good forge maps. Entire playlists without Instant Respawn. Static weapon drops making their way into playlists. Playlists being rotated out of matchmaking is coming to an end. TU coming out in a few weeks along with new actual small-medium sized maps. Ranks in April.

What are you even talking about?

Petrichor

Ah lets see what i can pull out of this statement.

If their weren't covenant in Halo 4, you would be complaining how 343 just completely dropped a super indepth species, and how their new enemies suck. You'd have to also say goodbye to every covenant vehicle and weapon. Even if they had created a cool enemy (in which they did) to replace, you would still argue saying they made the wrong choice, and vice versa.

Might as well also be saying we should stop fighting humans in video games, because we've been doing it for along time. Good logic.

I swear you guys just look for a game element, and then try to complain about it.
"OMG 343, you used blue portals to get us to an area! You suck". K, Thats part of the scifi fiction of the game bro. Would you rather have walked to this area? Oh wait, that area is about 5 miles away.

If they were intent on bringing the covenant back they could have at least fleshed them out a bit like bungie did with every iteration of halo they developed, rather than thinking a copy and paste job from reach with cosmetic changes would be enough.

ElRenoRaven

No offense to 343, but after the finale of Spartan Ops my only though was this:

That story was fucking shitty.

So fucking dumb, cheesy and pointless. Bad writing all around. Just blah.

(Gameplay is fun though, at least that improved a ton.)

It was fun to play though. I feel gameplay wise Spartan Ops improved as the season went on and the final episode continued this trend however when it comes to the universe and storyline I just feel 343 shit all over everything Bungie created and not in a good way. I respect the hell out of everyone at 343 despite this though and do wish them the best of luck with the franchise. I really do.

FYC

Banned
I've been trying Reach for the first time, and I think it's pretty
fun.

But to be fair I've not really played the other multiplayer parts of the series much so...

Blueblur1

Where the fuck have you been? People are saying 2nd half of SpOps shits on the first half. New playlists with new setttings and good forge maps. Entire playlists without Instant Respawn. Static weapon drops making their way into playlists. Playlists being rotated out of matchmaking is coming to an end. TU coming out in a few weeks along with new actual small-medium sized maps. Ranks in April.

War Games MM has improved a lot but Spartan Ops? Eh, not so much. It's a little bit better but the missions are still disconnected from the actual story, the writing continues to be sophomoric, and the enemy counters continue to be repetitious and frustrating.

Why the hell are there so many objectives in Team Throwdown? Put TTD CTF in that playlist, and put TTD in Team Objective. What the hell is the point is you are duplicating objectives in other playlists.

How can they even do ranking this way? Is Infinity Slayer going to count for your overall rank of will they have a ranked playlist?

Karl2177

SpOps 10.3 is the best mission in all of Halo 4. That being said 10.2 and 10.4 are awful. I was waiting for about 20 minutes for a Knight that teleported through a wall to reteleport back through in 10.4. There's a part where
infinite Watchers keep coming through a portal.
I looked at it, back at my roommate, back at the screen and said, "Who the fuck thinks this is fun?" Also, the massive amounts of BiRi Knights and Fuel Rod Elites is enough to make me never want to play them again. I'll have a bigger write up on all of SpOps later, and heads up, it's fairly negative.

I'm just glad that episode 9's 'hold this position' parts didn't rely upon time limits or destructible objectives. Takes a lot of the tension away yes, but at least they were all doable and fun to solo.

Blueblur1

Hasn't been posted in this thread. Super lame. I'm really disappointed in Activision and Bungie. 3 years and its still not close to being ready.

"OMG 343, you used blue portals to get us to an area! You suck". K, Thats part of the scifi of the game bro. Would you rather have walked to this area? Oh wait, that area is about 5 miles away.
It wasn't a problem of using a blue portal, it was how it was done in a repetitive fashion to travel.

Ex. In the level "Forerunner", Why not interact with central hub portal to choose an appropriate designated area for your destination instead of going through individual portals? [Not a Stargate]

While on the Didact's Ship using portals was cool, imo.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Tashi saves.

Nowise10

It wasn't a problem of using a blue portal, it was how it was done in a repetitive fashion to travel.

Ex. In the level "Forerunner", Why not interact with central hub portal to choose an appropriate designated area for your destination instead of going through individual portals? [Not a Stargate]

While on the Didact's Ship using portals was cool, imo.

I don't think i understand your idea for Forerunner?

Does anyone else hate the new portal designs? I get they had to cut down on assists but it just looks so... generic. I loved the old hokey Covenant slipspace portals - they were perfect in Reach. I mean hell, would it really have cost that much to make a simpler warp effect?

IHaveIce

Banned
2014?.. Ugh.. ok then there have to be announcements for fall this year, only GTA and CoD don't do it.

Well they better have something amazing ready for E3

wwm0nkey

I really hope 343 gets new writers soon and I hope they can salvage what shit they pulled in episode 10. I know
Halsey is playing Jul, but everything leading up to that was shit and the pay off to the story resulted in turning a well liked and known character into shit.
The plot line they are shooting for is not exciting or clever, its stupid. I could find fan-fic more exciting that where Halo's story is going. Again I know it might be an over-reaction but that really rubbed me in a wrong way, I don't really want to play Halo and I don't even want the new book even though I like Greg Bear....Im just kind of done I guess :/

I don't think i understand your idea for Forerunner?

Why not you the player(s) [Master Chief] interact with a dialing terminal to choose your destination. Would you prefer to take out Tower [A] or Tower ? Central Portal is active and sends you to designated area. Something like this would be cool in the early levels of Halo 4. I'd wish we could explore more using such a portal to discover different areas instead of Rushing to prevent Infinity from entering Requiem (it all felt so sudden and a bit not fun, imo).

That ending...
I'm just appalled. This can't be real.

Wait, that's it. It's not real. Halo 4 never came out. There's no such thing as 343i.
Master Chief is still in cryo.

Destiny is just a code name for the real Halo 4.

That's it. That's got to be it...

Ghazi

There was a warthog on a greenlooking map right? Which map of them could have some green, it looked almost like exile.
Somebody pointed out what looked to be a Wraith, I can't get on Waypoint now because it doesn't work on my phone, but that sounds a little wierd to have on a small-mid sized map.

Warthogs are fine though.

Dirtbag

I haven't played spartan ops

But

Just read they blew up the whole planet?!
Only the most interesting aspect of all of Halo 4

Failure

IHaveIce

Banned
Somebody pointed out what looked to be a Wraith, I can't get on Waypoint now because it doesn't work on my phone, but that sounds a little wierd to have on a small-mid sized map.

Warthogs are fine though.
Ah I'm on my phone myself so I can't look either.

yeah a wraith would be really confusing for the size description

valentines_08-2.jpg

that one? looks like one of the spartan ops missions to me
Oh really? Ok this could explain everything, I didn't play the missions.

Someone tell me if there were variants of gametypes when Halo 2, 3, Reach launched. Like you'd go into a playlist and there'd be 2-3 or more variants of the standard gametype. Why the hell haven't 343 done this yet?

Top Bottom