• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Mindwipe

Yeah, so, Episode 10

I think Halsey is totally playing them, and as people have said above, she's just acting to, well, not be brutally killed.

That said, I did find the ending sorta boring. Bringing out the trope of "humanity finds cache of amazing technology, said cache is destroyed shortly afterwards" is really dull. Would it have affected the story that much to have just left it for the UNSC to explore in peace? It might have been an interesting setting in future.

Other than that we didn't get much progress from episode 9, and no cool surprises like the Chief showing up or the fate of the Didact or Cortana or anything.

TheOddOne

Yeah, Kickstarter has jumped the shark.

7ebe33e38383c2cce84021589fa6350e_large.jpg

I don't either, but I don't think that's whats happening here.
As you mentioned Halsey does has to give Jul a reason to keep her alive and in the loop otherwise she's entirely screwed. Now if her machinations can put her in a position in the end to extract a little personal or professional revenge on particular individuals, then that's just a bonus.

There's no way 343 turns Halsey into a vengeance filled villain. They just needed some twist to tease the continuing story without getting into details.
I want more Spartan Ops. Wonder what 343 has planned.

She being one of the few that knows/has the most knowledge of how forerunner tech works should be enough to keep her alive, if you ask me? It would give a good way explore more of the universe in halo 5 following halsey and jul around to save her. Either way we get the second half of the key by either saving halsey and killing jul or kill halsey and jul. Her turning into space hitler has no advantage then to add shock value.

It might just be the writing but Jul doesn't seem like a big enough villain to last the entire trilogy just in time to be killed by Chief at the end so he can see Halsey as a "reward" for enduring six games. He doesn't think big enough - blowing up shield worlds doesn't count. He should somehow kidnap the Arbiter and convince the rest of the Elites to join him or something ridiculous.

Nowise10

Yeah, so, Episode 10

I think Halsey is totally playing them, and as people have said above, she's just acting to, well, not be brutally killed.

That said, I did find the ending sorta boring. Bringing out the trope of "humanity finds cache of amazing technology, said cache is destroyed shortly afterwards" is really dull. Would it have affected the story that much to have just left it for the UNSC to explore in peace? It might have been an interesting setting in future.

Other than that we didn't get much progress from episode 9, and no cool surprises like the Chief showing up or the fate of the Didact or Cortana or anything.

other then the friggin planet exploded.

TheOddOne

Spartan Ops:
So, Requiem has been blown up. Let's say there is a second season, where could they take us? Moar alien worlds? MOAR.

J10

Banned
She being one of the few that knows/has the most knowledge of how forerunner tech works should be enough to keep her alive, if you ask me? It would give a good way explore more of the universe in halo 5 following halsey and jul around to save her. Either way we get the second half of the key by either saving halsey and killing jul or kill halsey and jul. Her turning into space hitler has no advantage then to add shock value.

The UNSC has the Huragok. Halsey no longer has any function in that realm.

Mindwipe

other then the friggin planet exploded.

And, as I said, that's a really boring trope.

Just because something makes a big bang does not make it interesting. Otherwise "Joe vs The Volcano" would just be called "The Volcano".

There aren't even really any consequences. The largest pile of alien technology humanity has ever found just got blown up! At least look upset! At least have someone be annoyed about it! At least credit your viewers for going "what, again? Didn't this already happen in Halo Wars?"

Mindwipe

The UNSC has the Huragok. Halsey no longer has any function in that realm.

Huragok can repair and build things, but there's not much indication that they really, actually understand them. But to be honest their level of sentience does seem to change from depiction to depiction.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Just because something makes a big bang does not make it interesting. Otherwise "Joe vs The Volcano" would just be called "The Volcano".

There aren't even really any consequences. The largest pile of alien technology humanity has ever found just got blown up! At least look upset! At least have someone be annoyed about it! At least credit your viewers for going "what, again? Didn't this already happen in Halo Wars?"

They blew up Onyx too right? Or it imploded?

I think the future of Halo story is relatively predicable.

[Pure speculation]
  • Halsey leads Jul to Infinity
  • Covenant end up with both parts of the key
  • Covenant find some technology that they can use to kill the humans
  • Covenant find the Didact again.
  • Didact tries to fire the Halo array.
  • Chief to the rescue. To avenge Cortana.

The whole damn star blew up. Seriously, what the hell?

Nowise10

At least credit your viewers for going "what, again? Didn't this already happen in Halo Wars?"

"What again? I played as the chief in Halo 1 2 and 3! Cmon 343!"

Just because its similar doesn't make it any less interesting.

They turned
Halsey into a horrible character and made her a walking cliche

Wait let me guess how Halo 5 will play out.
She Helps Jul but John helps her realize the error of her ways but its too late and she gets killed or something on that level of stupid

Yeah, as others have said: That seems like jumping to conclusions. I'm pretty sure she's just playing with Jul.

They amputated Halsey's arm, turned her evil seeking revenge against ONI/UNSC, she's working with the elites, blew up Requiem which means likely end of Cortana and possibly librarian.

How has this anything to do with Cortana? She "died" on the Didact's ship.

It's impossible to have a good story without some bad decisions. It's just a matter of if those bad decisions came from the characters or the person writing them. Realize that 343 already has this planned as a trilogy. There's more to everything than just the first act. Until we hit the end of the trilogy, it's not going to be clear as to who is in the wrong.

Good point. Remember guys, we're yet to witness the payoff of Primordium's ending, for one. It seems (and I hope) that they really planned a lot and are simply timing things in a certain way instead of showing everything ASAP. We just have to wait, I guess.

Yeah, so, Episode 10

Well, I think there's still lots of places to explore, especially thanks to the Janus Key thingy.

They blew up Onyx too right? Or it imploded?

I may be mistaken, but doesn't it still exist (under the name Trevelyan or something)?

Madness

The fact you are willing to judge so quick is pathetic, we don't know how the story is going to pan out from here, for all we know, she could be playing along with
Jul 'Mdama until she gets back to Earth or humanity, she has no choice but to work with them.

Halsey is treated like shit because they are making the storyline exciting, I know for sure that the final speech from Halsey & Jul has me excited for the future

You are over reacting, hugely.

Also, who says Halsey is actually alive in 2582 (if that's when Reach's after-credits ending was), there is no evidence she is there on the planet, only she is talking.

First, it's my opinion. You wanted to know what happened and I told you. I'm sorry that I haven't waited the 6+ years it will take to end this new reclaimer trilogy before sharing my opinion. I don't consider my reaction pathetic, what I do consider pathetic is that you were called out a few pages back about calling others out, especially Juniors proclaiming to be high and mighty and you're doing it again.

The story wasnt that bad. Go watch it, people should by now recognise HaloGAFs massive overreactions to everything. The story was good. Opens up some new possibilities. Would have liked to see something to do with the chief. If there is a season 2 I would pay for it. The improvements to the missions between the first and second half.

And judging Davids comments leads me to believe a second season would tackle a lot of the problems remaining. Scoring, Lives, scaling etc etc.

And anyone taking Madness seriously needs to go look at his posting history.

No one's taking me seriously nor have I asked them to. I simply shared my opinion. What I want to know is what does my post history have to do with anything regarding what I said about how I feel the way they ended spartan ops. I'm guessing you're referring to my just for fun/devils advocate rants in off-topic lol, but I don't know. I have better things to do than go through another's post history just for shits and giggles. The only person who's history I ever checked was grizznkev and I wrote why.

Just finished a few games of Throwdown. Overall it feels better although simplex/dispatch lag. I think the respawn timer on the weapon spawns is too fast. I always feels like there are 2 snipers in each game I played.

This was especially true on extraction, snipers on both end were just camping the extraction points.

Ominym

Banned
I think the thing that offends me about chapter ten is that
it seems like things can go very predictably here for a typical 'dark middle chapter' of a trilogy. Say for example, Halsey is fooling Jul. Halo 5 starts out with Chief on the search for Halsey, he finds her, he is seen protecting her from the UNSC. He is then branded rouge by association, and Lasky does what he can to protect Chief/Halsey while toeing the line to not appear rogue as well. Palmer acts as she does now, the by the books soldier who disagrees with Lasky. She is his primary threat for being found out. Meanwhile, Chief and Halsey go out to save the universe/clear their names, etc. All really text book, and boring.

But the thought of Master Chief fighting against the Storm faction for the duration of the next game, trying to stop them from firing the Halo array, or some other Forerunner thing, also sounds boring and tried. I suppose, on the whole, I don't know what I want out of Halo 5. But I don't think either of these options are it.

Karl2177

Halsey is gonna fall victim to Chancellor Palpatine and energy sword-scissor to the head Palmer.

Halo 5: AAAAAAIIIIII HAAAAAATE YOOOOU

Moa

what I do consider pathetic is that you were called out a few pages back about calling others out, especially Juniors proclaiming to be high and mighty and you're doing it again.

I'll admit what I did a few days back was pathetic, but it no way was I calling Juniors out again, if you took it that way, I'm sorry.

Petrichor

Thing is they are more fun to fight than the bullet sponge prometheans.

True - but the covenant in halo 4 weren't particularly fun to fight relative to their previous incarnations either imo.

I maintain that the covenant enemy sandbox in Halo 3 / ODST was the most compelling.

Toa TAK

Banned
So yeah. BRING ON SEASON 2! That was great. Really felt like a finale that it should've.

I'm calling it, Crimson vs. Halsey.

No offense to 343, but after the finale of Spartan Ops my only though was this:

That story was fucking shitty.

So fucking dumb, cheesy and pointless. Bad writing all around. Just blah.

(Gameplay is fun though, at least that improved a ton.)

Madness

I'll admit what I did a few days back was pathetic, but it no way was I calling Juniors out again, if you took it that way, I'm sorry.

What? You asked what happens, I told you and I added how I felt about it. You then proceed to go on a rant about how I'm pathetic for giving an opinion without knowing what happens next, and that I'm overreacting.

What the fuck do you want me to do? Wait until they finish all of the story and then give an opinion? Should I wait till I watch all the movies in a trilogy before supposedly "jumping to conclusions" after the end of the first one?

It's common to feel this way, especially in an established story, even more so when they add an unexpected twist. But it was unexpected for all the wrong reasons I feel.

J10

Banned
If there's going to be more Human Vs. Covenant stuff, I hope they can at least leave it in Spartan Ops only. Have the Chief fight someone else in the mainline story, like actual Promethean Warriors (not the human zombie robot variety), bring back the Halo 2 super sentinels, new flood types, something.

Moa

What? You asked what happens, I told you and I added how I felt about it. You then proceed to go on a rant about how I'm pathetic for giving an opinion without knowing what happens next, and that I'm overreacting.

What the fuck do you want me to do? Wait until they finish all of the story and then give an opinion? Should I wait till I watch all the movies in a trilogy before supposedly "jumping to conclusions" after the end of the first one?

It's common to feel this way, especially in an established story, even more so when they add an unexpected twist. But it was unexpected for all the wrong reasons I feel.

The way you worded your post originally made it sound like I was using you as a tool to call out all Juniors again, which once again, was not my intention, I wasn't even calling you out per-say.

I'm saying you should actually think about it a bit,
why would Halsey want 'revenge'?
Why would she agree to help Jul?

She's onboard a Coevenant ship, likely in the middle of a fleet of every single ship that was on Requiem, and you sound like you expect her to just be like - fuck you Jul, I'm UNSC for life.

I'm probably being way too harsh, but the ending was great if you think about it a little harder other than jumping to conclusions.

On CTF do how do you return the flag?

I think you just stand on top of it and a little HUD widget will tell you it is being returned, can't remember for sure if it is enabled in all gametypes though for Throwdown.

Top Bottom