• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Laughed way more than I should've
:-D

Some subtle changes have happened to GAF lately. All my posts are now light blue compared to the regular alternating white/grey, and now there's a "who quoted me" section in the User CP. Me likey.

edit: and now I see the announcement sticky from a couple of days ago.

Ghazi

That's not happening in Throwdown.
Thank God.
valentines_08-2.jpg

that one? looks like one of the spartan ops missions to me
Ok, I haven't been playing Spartan Ops so I would not have recognized it, good to know!

We never even got an explanation of who these Elites are, why are they against humans again? Where are the Brutes?

No Fuckin Sense, this entire story.
Yep.

Something that was promised to be a part of the narrative of Halo 4, and it was not in Halo 4 or Spartan Ops at all.

Why are we fighting the Covenant, what is their structure like now, how did that happen?

All questions that 343 directly said would be an important part of the narrative in the game.

Halo 4: "Let's just pretend that the whole Covenant civil war/breaking of the Covenant never happened, even though it was the major narrative arc of Halo 2 and 3."

*Que someone tells me to read a book in order to understand the narrative of another medium*
I hope they include Majestic Map Pack in Team Throwdown
Sadly, including them and them actually showing up in the playlist are two different things.
valentines_08-2.jpg

that one? looks like one of the spartan ops missions to me

Based on the screens extracted from Waypoint of the new maps, it looks like the V-Day pics are not on the new maps to me. None of them seem to fit the pics of the new maps.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Where the fuck have you been? People are saying 2nd half of SpOps shits on the first half. New playlists with new setttings and good forge maps. Entire playlists without Instant Respawn. Static weapon drops making their way into playlists. Playlists being rotated out of matchmaking is coming to an end. TU coming out in a few weeks along with new actual small-medium sized maps. Ranks in April.

What are you even talking about?
And incoming Boltshot nerf.

Toa TAK

Banned
:-D

Some subtle changes have happened to GAF lately. All my posts are now light blue compared to the regular alternating white/grey, and now there's a "who quoted me" section in the User CP. Me likey.

edit: and now I see the announcement sticky from a couple of days ago.
Oh wow, I didn't notice the "who quoted me" part from the announcement.

And 15 more levels to go and I'm gonna hit SR130!

heckfu

Banned

I'll go into more detail later as I'm heading into work, but they finally make a dynamic character and people are freaking out. As soon as someone does something 'out of line' it becomes a stupid story and 'lazy writing'.

I don't buy that, I think this wasn't on a whim and is part of a greater story arc and, personally, that's exciting they're willing to do something that Bungie never did - and that's have someone make a heel turn.

Wow was that Spartan Ops story bad. I'm sorry, but if the only response to "None of that made any sense or was explained at all" is "Well you've got to read the books" then the people telling the story have failed at their jobs.

Also, I'm not really looking forward to anything single player from Halo unless we get a confirmation of new enemies. I'm tired of fighting the same old Covenant, and Prometheans are even less fun.

Doodled an idea for a revised Promethean Knight sniper. Rather than use a Binary Rifle or even a conventional sniper, it dual wields Phase Rifles - which are sort of Promethean DMRs, along the lines of the Beam Rifle and CE Pistol having a baby. While aiming it projects a bunch of laser sights. Disregard the crappy guns in the doodle, I just couldn't remember the real details of my concept.

Rather than be stationary, it's constantly on the move, hence the limber appearance - it sprints to a vantage point, targets enemies, takes shots, and relocates. Similar to the "tripod sniper" that was cut from Halo 2, it can latch onto walls, trees, etc. for a better angle.

Rarer "Grapple Snipers" will hold a phase rifle and a Gravity Gauntlet, but it only uses it to move around and get to higher ground rather than offensively stunning the player.

It has some of the lowest health of any Knight and no shielding, as well as pitiful Melee capability. It only takes one punch to kill.

If you manage to assassinate an unobservant one that's latched on to an object, it rewards you heavily - you piledrive the damn thing, your weight ripping it off of its wall or ceiling, smashing its head into the ground. Then you grab it by the base (still combined legs) and smash it into the ground again, and finally kill it by swinging it straight into whatever surface it was mounted to like a rug, decapitating it Friday the 13th sleeping bag-style.

blamite

The thing about the SpOps finale is that
destroying Requiem is made out to be a really huge deal, but in reality it wasn't going to be relevant much longer anyway. Aside from SpOps season 2 possibly using it as a setting, do you really think we would have gone back there? No way Halo 5 or 6 would ever have gone back to Requiem, there are plenty of other more interesting places to use, liek the remaining Halos and Arks. Plus everyone would have bitched about just going back to the same locations over and over.

There's not going to be much impact storywise as a result of the planet being gone either, since the UNSC already has bases on a much, much larger Shield World in the form of Trevelyan. And not only is is incredibly huge and full of technology, it's also free of Prometheans and Covenant. The only thing of value left on Requiem was the Librarian, and by handing out the Janus key she's pretty much served the most useful purpose she could have had.

Basically what I'm saying is that by destroying a planet that wasn't likely to have much importance in the future anyway, 343 basically ended the season on an event that seems huge at first glance but really doesn't mean much int he scheme of things.

TheOddOne

destroying Requiem is made out to be a really huge deal, but in reality it wasn't going to be relevant much longer anyway. Aside from SpOps season 2 possibly using it as a setting, do you really think we would have gone back there? No way Halo 5 or 6 would ever have gone back to Requiem, there are plenty of other more interesting places to use, liek the remaining Halos and Arks. Plus everyone would have bitched about just going back to the same locations over and over.

There's not going to be much impact storywise as a result of the planet being gone either, since the UNSC already has bases on a much, much larger Shield World in the form of Trevelyan. And not only is is incredibly huge and full of technology, it's also free of Prometheans and Covenant. The only thing of value left on Requiem was the Librarian, and by handing out the Janus key she's pretty much served the most useful purpose she could have had.

Basically what I'm saying is that by destroying a planet that wasn't likely to have much importance in the future anyway, 343 basically ended the season on an event that seems huge at first glance but really doesn't mean much int he scheme of things.
*Nods at this post*

J10

Banned
Actually I think it's more like Mythbusters. They know we're all just waiting for the next explosion. It doesn't matter what happens or why it happens as long as something explodes.

Toa TAK

Banned

True enough. But at least Requiem went out in a big way, instead of just being ditched to float around in the galaxy. It got a nice exit, and it provides a good reason to explore other locations, like you said. I'm personally hoping for Installation 03, but after this game, anything besides Requiem.

JB1981

Can someone please explain to me why Team Brs has radar on the HUD but there is no enemy radar ?

And why don't we spawn with a secondary pistol ?

IHaveIce

Banned
Why didn't they kill Palmer.. really why? :(

And people who think people are mad vecause they think Halsey is serious, this doesn't even matter to me how she meant that, the whole changing of Halsey's role since Glasslands just became unlikeable.

Sometimes I get the feeling they want to make us forget about some character and shove us their poor written characters in.

Still mad about the Spartans :(

And you can't really defend all of Halo 4s writing if you have to read books just to know why the Covenant is back and evil again.

And what's with the Arbiter? Oooh we don't know.
Can someone please explain to me why Team Brs has radar on the HUD but there is no enemy radar ?

Radar is teammates only. No idea about the pistol

The question is what happens to the Prometheans? Did they essentially lose what was left of ancient and recent humanity?

343 will introduce some way to keep Prometheans in the coming Halo games. It be pretty dumb to introduce this whole new enemy faction, only to have them wiped out in the first game. Maybe Jul filled his ships with Prometheans? From what we saw, it seemed like they had dozens of ships. They could easily fit enough Prometheans on those to fill 2 games.

blamite

The question is what happens to the Prometheans? Did they essentially lose what was left of ancient and recent humanity?

If 343 is really committed to keeping them around they can always come up with some reason to bring them back, shouldn't be too hard since the Didact is still running around. If they decide they need something different again they could always introduce new Forerunner enemies on Halos or something.

Hello, my name is 343 Industries. You want to play Spartan Ops? Well, you'd better do so in Co-Op, because we're going to be throwing a fucking ungodly amount of enemies at you, each armed to the teeth with several one-hit kill weapons, just to make it challenging. Oh, and you want vehicles to deal with that? Here, have a Mantis. Just one, though, these things are expensive! I know, I'm hilarious right. No, seriously, fuck you.

TheOddOne

Hello, my name is 343 Industries. You want to play Spartan Ops? Well, you'd better do so in Co-Op, because we're going to be throwing a fucking ungodly amount of enemies at you, each armed to the teeth with several one-hit kill weapons, just to make it challenging. Oh, and you want vehicles to deal with that? Here, have a Mantis. Just one, though, these things are expensive! I know, I'm hilarious right. No, seriously, fuck you.
tumblr_m3uqsm7vef1r7scov.gif

I'm dead.

Where the fuck have you been? People are saying 2nd half of SpOps shits on the first half. New playlists with new setttings and good forge maps. Entire playlists without Instant Respawn. Static weapon drops making their way into playlists. Playlists being rotated out of matchmaking is coming to an end. TU coming out in a few weeks along with new actual small-medium sized maps. Ranks in April.

What are you even talking about?

-SPoPs is still far from good. The story is horrible. It was a good idea on paper but was not well executed.
-I want good real maps before I want good Forge maps
-Instant Respawn should not exist in any playlist
-Static weapon drops should be in all playlists and should have been there since the beginning
-We still don't know what the TU encompasses
-Ranks are only on waypoint

Not really what I would call a good game. Plus the one "competitive" playlist has "Deluxe Loadouts"...I don't want any loadouts.

• Solo
  • Normal
  • Drunk
There, I fixed Spartan Ops for e'rybody.

Except for the minors. Don't drink alcohol, kids. You don't want to end up like your father, trust me.

Hope bungie wont codify Destiny too much.
I liked halo CE and 3 simple to learn but hard to master gameplay mechanics.
Hope 343 will get back to that in Halo 5.
Didn't play Halo 2 that much poor parents.. :(

Installations can rebuild themselves in time with the amount of required resources to do so.

We've seen Halo Wars Shield World go supernova inside out due its own artificial star, but sending Requiem into a Star to cause a supernova is.... Without a doubt Requiem is gone for good.

I wonder if Infinity is heading course to Earth to resupply, refuel, repair the ship? Whether Jul is chasing them, maybe decides to head for the Shield World with Rings around its orbit, perhaps another Halo like Installation 03, or to the Elites homeworld?

Nowise10

-SPoPs is still far from good. The story is horrible. It was a good idea on paper but was not well executed.
-I want good real maps before I want good Forge maps
-Instant Respawn should not exist in any playlist
-Static weapon drops should be in all playlists and should have been there since the beginning
-We still don't know what the TU encompasses
-Ranks are only on waypoint

Not really what I would call a good game. Plus the one "competitive" playlist has "Deluxe Loadouts"...I don't want any loadouts.

Okay, sorry bro, but judging from every single post you make in Halo OT has been negative (yes, i just checked), I don't think Halo 4 is for you.

When, exactly, are you going to quit it?

JB1981

Wow BR starts, global power weapon spawns with timers, and AAs as personal ordnance makes this game immeasurably better. Good job, 343 Ind

So.
Halsey is now a real terrorist. Palmer is still alive. Halsey only has one arm, and by the next time we see her I'm quite sure she'll have an eyepatch. Palmer is still alive. Fucking fuck, Palmer is still alive.

willow ve

Quitters out the ass in Team Throwdown

Yep. Throwdown is full of quitters. About 20 games played. Only 1 finished 4v4 (a second gamed finished with all players in game, but two AFK kids).

No idea why there isn't a secondary in the playlist for Team BRs - I've run out of ammo twice. Frustrating.

I am your father.
s0tJKQy.gif

What happened to the Crimson playlist? Can I get the achievements on any map pack now?

Still need them on the new maps, just have to hope you can get them to show up in the regular lists for the achievements.

BTB is probably your best bet.

So.
Halsey is now a real terrorist. Palmer is still alive. Halsey only has one arm, and by the next time we see her I'm quite sure she'll have an eyepatch. Palmer is still alive. Fucking fuck, Palmer is still alive.

Eye patches redeem all narrative missteps.

It is known.

So.
Halsey hasn't done anything though. She's still just playing a part. One that has gotten her a chat with the Librarian and one half of the key of whatever for good measure.

Never understood the Palmer hate. She's fine.

Top Bottom