• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Okay, sorry bro, but judging from every single post you make in Halo OT has been negative (yes, i just checked), I don't think Halo 4 is for you.

When, exactly, are you going to quit it?

My posts are reactionary to news. I still play Halo 4 on occasion. My problem is that it could be a good game if 343 wanted it to be, but they don't seem to. They could easily make a few changes to fix the game but they haven't.

Booties

Banned
^^^Might be the first time I 100% agree with you.

Why are people praising 343 for a job well done? It's nearly March and the complaints pile has already begun to spontaneously combust due to rotting corpses releasing volatile gases. I haven't played the new stuff today, but I imagine I will like it more than infinity slayer. Still, I would never be like "well done, bravo *throws roses at Frankie's clubbed feet*!"

The game still isn't where it should have been on day 1. The population is still going to decline. I think they should focus on catering to exactly what the active community wants because they are the people who will actually play the game often, notice, and appreciate any changes. Without a happy group of players to support the franchise there isn't going to be much growth because that happy little base won't tell all their little friends that Halo is good again, give it another chance.

So just get rid of all these gimmicks no one asked for. The population 343 said they made this game for either never existed or left because the game wasn't executed well. The people who are still posting here don't even play, but they keep giving suggestions. THESE ARE THE PEOPLE YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO AND WORRY ABOUT, 343! The people playing are the type who can't give it up or have green blobs attached to their heads that tell them to play halo.

Good job on finally doing...something? I guess. A decent step in the right direction is all we got.

I like they actively evolved Halo and now they are just taking time implementing the options to turn it all off and reverse all the change.

GG 343 Industries.

Why are people praising 343 for a job well done? It's nearly March and the complaints pile has already begun to spontaneously combust due to rotting corpses releasing volatile gases. I haven't played the new stuff today, but I imagine I will like it more than infinity slayer. Still, I would never be like "well done, bravo *throws roses at Frankie's clubbed feet*!"

The game still isn't where it should have been on day 1. The population is still going to decline. I think they should focus on catering to exactly what the active community wants because they are the people who will actually play the game often, notice, and appreciate any changes. Without a happy group of players to support the franchise there isn't going to be much growth because that happy little base won't tell all their little friends that Halo is good again, give it another chance.

So just get rid of all these gimmicks no one asked for. The population 343 said they made this game for either never existed or left because the game wasn't executed well. The people who are still posting here don't even play, but they keep giving suggestions. THESE ARE THE PEOPLE YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO AND WORRY ABOUT, 343! The people playing are the type who can't give it up or have green blobs attached to their heads that tell them to play halo.

Good job on finally doing...something? I guess. A decent step in the right direction is all we got.
I just want to say that playing through Aliens: Colonial Marines has given me a new appreciation for Halo 4. Honestly guys, it could have been much much worse :/

Gui_PT

I'll go into more detail later as I'm heading into work, but they finally make a dynamic character and people are freaking out. As soon as someone does something 'out of line' it becomes a stupid story and 'lazy writing'.

I don't buy that, I think this wasn't on a whim and is part of a greater story arc and, personally, that's exciting they're willing to do something that Bungie never did - and that's have someone make a heel turn.

Hey I agree

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
-SPoPs is still far from good. The story is horrible. It was a good idea on paper but was not well executed.
-I want good real maps before I want good Forge maps
-Instant Respawn should not exist in any playlist
-Static weapon drops should be in all playlists and should have been there since the beginning
-We still don't know what the TU encompasses
-Ranks are only on waypoint

Not really what I would call a good game. Plus the one "competitive" playlist has "Deluxe Loadouts"...I don't want any loadouts.

You said the game is not really getting any better. Which means it has not improved. That's the bullshit I was calling you out on.

willow ve

Halo 4: Good Enough

Halo 4: Trust Us (eventually after you guys bitch enough, complain, leave the game, watch it tank compared to previous titles, screw up the map pack, invent PR spin to fix it, then finally come out with a competitive playlist you'll be able to say) Feels Like Halo

In all honesty I really enjoy the Throwdown list - just needs more maps, address the rampant quitting, and remove the "deluxe" gametype option.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I don't think anyone is straight up cheering 343, but merely attempting to balance out those jeering them. Heckfu posted some solid positive opinions, as have others. I have yet to see someone groveling over the recent changes, only stating what Booties mentioned. It's a step in the right direction.

Also that might have been the most serious post I've seen Booties make. :p

m23

The missions in Episode 10 were by far my favorite in the season, especially chapter 5. Music was well done in game as well. As for the ending, it was whatever. I don't think it's bad enough that it "killed Halo."

Booties

Banned
People ain't slrpn here? Well, given the optimism and high fives in the bulletin I can only assume that the mood at 343i is worrisome.

Please detail how easy it would be.
Not picking on you, but I am really tired of this argument.

Here is a link to a post I made: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46560604&postcount=2727

Also here:

A lot of changes can be made via Megalo and map variants which would not even require a TU. We could already have these "fixes" if 343 really wanted to get them out there. They should have introduced new game types two months ago to at least improve the game in the mean time before the TU.

The short of it is this: 343 has the tools to make big changes to the game in a really short amount of time but they are not suing them. Why are we congratulating 343 for a baby step in the right direction when they have the power to take a large stride in the right direction but refuse to?

Gordon

Halo 4: Trust Us (eventually after you guys bitch enough, complain, leave the game, watch it tank compared to previous titles, screw up the map pack, invent PR spin to fix it, then finally come out with a competitive playlist you'll be able to say) Feels Like Halo

In all honesty I really enjoy the Throwdown list - just needs more maps, address the rampant quitting, and remove the "deluxe" gametype option.
I played a couple games earlier. JIP has made non-JIP playlists terrible. Players are quitting at the drop of a hat. And is big-party-matching on? I kept getting stomped by coordinated teams while my team mates were arguing about why their radar didn't work and where AAs were coming from.

As for Deluxe, it's cute - a respectable attempt - but it fails to deliver. It's just DMRs and stickies as far as the eye can see. It would work better (imo) with the carbine in place of the DMR. At least then BRs and LRs would be something beyond secondaries.

And can we get over the 'on my X' issue already? I mean, if waypoints on weapon drops are unnecessary, why do we need waypoints on dead team mates? It just makes the call-out skill gap smaller by de-emphasizing map knowledge. I'd prefer normal radar personally, but that's just because I don't have a team. No radar would be just as good.

Dude what
I think it's stupid to do a half-assed job of compensating for a dropped feature. Radar doesn't do a very good job of conveying the information, and it confuses the hell out of my random team mates. It's chewing up a second mechanic because the first one got mangled.

Thanks. Your post is pretty much what I have been saying all along. It would take them all of 15 minutes to create a BR Slayer gametype without loadouts and sprint plus whatever time it takes them to test and roll it out into matchmaking.
Not the point, but why do we have gametypes with single loadouts? If there's only one option, why are we bothering to look at a selection screen for it?

Tawpgun

And can we get over the 'on my X' issue already? I mean, if waypoints on weapon drops are unnecessary, why do we need waypoints on dead team mates? It just makes the call-out skill gap smaller by de-emphasizing map knowledge. I'd prefer normal radar personally, but that's just because I don't have a team. No radar would be just as good.

Dude what

I don't know if it annoys anyone else, but it really bugs me that the music used when
Halsey meets the Librarian
is basically the Goldeneye music. It annoyed me when the music came up in game, and it annoys me now

Thanks. Your post is pretty much what I have been saying all along. It would take them all of 15 minutes to create a BR Slayer gametype without loadouts and sprint plus whatever time it takes them to test and roll it out into matchmaking.

Sai-kun

Banned
Holy shit at the conclusion of SpOps.

I...don't think I would have called that in a million years. It might be just me, but it seems a touch out of character. Although after all the bullshit, it's pretty easy to rationalize.

Welp, bring on season 2 or Halo 5,

Yep.

Something that was promised to be a part of the narrative of Halo 4, and it was not in Halo 4 or Spartan Ops at all.

Why are we fighting the Covenant, what is their structure like now, how did that happen?

All questions that 343 directly said would be an important part of the narrative in the game.

Halo 4: "Let's just pretend that the whole Covenant civil war/breaking of the Covenant never happened, even though it was the major narrative arc of Halo 2 and 3."

*Que someone tells me to read a book in order to understand the narrative of another medium*

Sadly, including them and them actually showing up in the playlist are two different things.

Based on the screens extracted from Waypoint of the new maps, it looks like the V-Day pics are not on the new maps to me. None of them seem to fit the pics of the new maps.

Someone else posted this was chronicled in Glasslands and Thursday war but still, I need to read like 8 or 9 books to understand wtf is going on in this game?

Not the point, but why do we have gametypes with single loadouts? If there's only one option, why are we bothering to look at a selection screen for it?

Honestly, I am not sure. My best guess is that because the game types were built with loudouts in mind there isn't a way around the selection screen.

FYC

Banned
Man the betrayal system hates me in Reach. Kicked 3 different times now, all were accidents, I swear!

Oh well. Spire is a cool map.

Sai-kun

Banned
Someone else posted this was chronicled in Glasslands and Thursday war but still, I need to read like 8 or 9 books to understand wtf is going on in this game?

Hyperbole. You need exactly one book, maybe two, to understand why the Covenant were on Requiem. One book at most to understand the Didact

Also instead of giving me another season of spops or halo 5, just give me another Nylund book.

Gordon

Honestly, I am not sure. My best guess is that because the game types were built with loudouts in mind there isn't a way around the selection screen.
There is. You just set the weapons/AAs/perks in the player traits settings and set all of the loadouts to hidden. It works fine.

Not picking on you, but I am really tired of this argument.

Here is a link to a post I made: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46560604&postcount=2727

Also here:

The short of it is this: 343 has the tools to make big changes to the game in a really short amount of time but they are not suing them. Why are we congratulating 343 for a baby step in the right direction when they have the power to take a large stride in the right direction but refuse to?

You have the tools to write a 300 page report about Halo.

Tools mean jack shit. You cannot just say that bsangel could easily give us more details about the TU because she has a computer.

Much like the bulletins, there is a protocol to follow and red tape to cross. It's really foolish to say the only thing holding back these large steps is their lack of willingness to do so.

Conor 419

Banned
Where the fuck have you been? People are saying 2nd half of SpOps shits on the first half. New playlists with new setttings and good forge maps. Entire playlists without Instant Respawn. Static weapon drops making their way into playlists. Playlists being rotated out of matchmaking is coming to an end. TU coming out in a few weeks along with new actual small-medium sized maps. Ranks in April.

What are you even talking about?

A bit over zealous, Spartan Op's has continued to be dreadful.

So just get rid of all these gimmicks no one asked for.
The gimmicky playlists that you're referring to are where the majority of the population resides, regardless of population decline. Explain that away.

Playlists are in place to make the game more appealing to those who long for older Halo gameplay (thank the gods)

Smaller maps will be here for said playlist by the end of the month, along with a Title Update (that should have been far more direct at what changes they are making).

What the fuck else do you want apart from more kindling for your bitchfest?

Yeah that's the point though, I shouldn't have to read a book to get what should be important in-game narrative.

TheOddOne

Hey DutchBungieGAF:

jPPLneyGlqKZF.png

"We werden ergens door geraakt, en hard." :lol

RdN

Just finished the SpOps season.

I guess the feeling that sticks is disappointment. As been said, the concept was fantastic, but the delivery failed in so many aspects, ranging from repeating levels, to buttons and Elite with Rod Fuel Cannon to (cheaply) increase difficulty.

As for the story,
I hate what 343 has been doing to Halsey, stating with Glasslands. Now she lost an arm and is working with the enemy to get revenge? What the fuck, man...

As it stands, I wouldn't pay money for a Season 2 unless there's a complete 180 degree change. And judging from 343 current ability to improve the game, I'll not hold my breath.

Yep. Throwdown is full of quitters. About 20 games played. Only 1 finished 4v4 (a second gamed finished with all players in game, but two AFK kids).

No idea why there isn't a secondary in the playlist for Team BRs - I've run out of ammo twice. Frustrating.

This. I think the playlist is being hurt by all the objective stuff. CTF and Extraction should be moved to their proper playlists (CTF and Team Objective) and just name them Pro. This is what happens when you name something stupid. Team Throwdown means what exactly? They should have named it "ranked"

Sprint and flinch ruin the new playlist.
Yep. Not that I am a good sniper to begin with but... Sprint sucks.

Can someone please explain to me why Team Brs has radar on the HUD but there is no enemy radar ?

And why don't we spawn with a secondary pistol ?
Most likely because the weapon spawns are so short. Unless maybe its just me, it seems like all you need to do is run around simplex and the Sniper and Sticky Det just keep spawning. They need to tone that shit down. Its still a power weapon fest.

Already getting donged on in Team Throwdown. I really hate Halo without radar
If this was ranked, true competitive Halo (No ordinance, No Sprint) I would disagree with you but this isn't. People are sprinting around all over the place with swords and camping like crazy. Plus, these maps are a mess with sight lines blocked all over the place. Its a campfest.

BTW 343i, this is a step in the right direction. Just needs more tuning. Get those objectives out of there. The population will suffer for those that just want Slayer.

After some games in the team throwdown I'm gonna go out and say it feels hollow. Not just because its missing a large portion of halo 4's sandbox, but it also feels like its missing something else. Overall it just feels stripped down even in comparison to other halo games. I don't like it.

Also team throwdown has reminded me that join in progress is a necessary evil. I think less than 50% of my games have finished with all eight players.

willow ve

Man the betrayal system hates me in Reach. Kicked 3 different times now, all were accidents, I swear!

Oh well. Spire is a cool map.

At least there is a betrayal booting system. I can understand the frustration over accidental betrayals leading to a kick, but in Throwdown the betrayals run rampant.

Had a few games today where it ended up 4v1 in a Slayer match with the lone wolf team basically hiding or AFK. Over time this gets boring enough that players start betraying you over and over again. I was killed five times in a row by a single teammate before he left the game.

Top Bottom