• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Conor 419

Banned
Just finished the SpOps season.

I guess the feeling that sticks is disappointment. As been said, the concept was fantastic, but the delivery failed in so many aspects, ranging from repeating levels, to buttons and Elite with Rod Fuel Cannon to (cheaply) increase difficulty.

As for the story,
I hate what 343 has been doing to Halsey, stating with Glasslands. Now she lost an arm and is working with the enemy to get revenge? What the fuck, man...

As it stands, I wouldn't pay money for a Season 2 unless there's a complete 180 degree change. And judging from 343 current ability to improve the game, I'll not hold my breath.

Sucks to think all of the resources could have gone into a better campaign, an improved multiplayer experience or a mother fucking server BROWSER OH MY GOD, WHAT THE FUCK?

I don't know if any other halogaffers are even into it, but did anyone else get some major Homestuck Ancestor vibes when we saw The Lord of Admirals in the terminals? He was like a human E%ecutor Darkleer or something.

Please please please tell me the Forerunners use Promethean Cloud Storage and those guys are still safe. I would pay billions to get to see Lord of Admirals caught up to speed, dumped into a brain jar attached to a huge combat suit and see him wreck house.

After some games in the team throwdown I'm gonna go out and say it feels hollow. Not just because its missing a large portion of halo 4's sandbox, but it also feels like its missing something else. Overall it just feels stripped down even in comparison to other halo games. I don't like it.

Also team throwdown has reminded me that join in progress is a necessary evil. I think less than 50% of my games have finished with all eight players.

Nope. Team Throwdown is a godsend. I played a game where 3 of my teammates quit out at the beginning of the game, and only lost by one point.

THANK YOU 343 FOR DOING THIS

Conor 419

Banned
I'm thinking 343i should retcon Halo 4 and make it again next generation? Or perhaps at least rename it has Halo: Infinity and start semi anew for Halo 4.

^^^Might be the first time I 100% agree with you.

Why are people praising 343 for a job well done? It's nearly March and the complaints pile has already begun to spontaneously combust due to rotting corpses releasing volatile gases. I haven't played the new stuff today, but I imagine I will like it more than infinity slayer. Still, I would never be like "well done, bravo *throws roses at Frankie's clubbed feet*!"

The game still isn't where it should have been on day 1. The population is still going to decline. I think they should focus on catering to exactly what the active community wants because they are the people who will actually play the game often, notice, and appreciate any changes. Without a happy group of players to support the franchise there isn't going to be much growth because that happy little base won't tell all their little friends that Halo is good again, give it another chance.

So just get rid of all these gimmicks no one asked for. The population 343 said they made this game for either never existed or left because the game wasn't executed well. The people who are still posting here don't even play, but they keep giving suggestions. THESE ARE THE PEOPLE YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO AND WORRY ABOUT, 343! The people playing are the type who can't give it up or have green blobs attached to their heads that tell them to play halo.

Good job on finally doing...something? I guess. A decent step in the right direction is all we got.

Agree 100%, at some point at least for online population they need to admit failure. The playlists are still a mess, Team Throwdown is a mix of all kinds of objective types as well. Just Make a Team Slayer Ranked Classic playlist, HOW HARD IS THAT!

Hyperbole. You need exactly one book, maybe two, to understand why the Covenant were on Requiem. One book at most to understand the Didact

Also instead of giving me another season of spops or halo 5, just give me another Nylund book.

Huh? So by your logic that is at least 3 books. How the hell would you know which ones unless you read them all?

You don't think Fall Of Reach has any kind of canon influence on this game? I do. I don't know what the hell you are defending, they put a core part of the story in videos buried deep inside the Waypoint app. I mean c'mon.

Yeah that's the point though, I shouldn't have to read a book to get what should be important in-game narrative.

At least this guy get's it.

Ghazi

I've read nearly all the books and I still didn't understand the Didact's motive, he acted more like a child and seemed a little out of character. Sure he was ruthless and cold, but he saw logic where it made sense. 343's version of Didact:
"I don't think Humanity is ready to take on the Mantle, so rather than letting them attempt it and (maybe) failing, then coming back and helping them/picking up the pieces, I'm just going to try to completely oppress them, WHOOO!
I don't think spoiler tags are necessary, but I'm going to add them anyway.

Inb4: Terrible usage of commas

I've read nearly all the books and I still didn't understand the Didact's motive, he acted more like a child and seemed a little out of character. Sure he was ruthless and cold, but he saw logic where it made sense. 343's version of Didact:
"I don't think Humanity is ready to take on the Mantle, so rather than letting them attempt it and (maybe) failing, then coming back and helping them/picking up the pieces, I'm just going to try to completely oppress them, WHOOO!
I don't think spoiler tags are necessary, but I'm going to add them anyway.

Inb4: Terrible usage of commas

His character was just so shallow and there was nothing interesting about him. He was just your typical evil guy with an evil motive that doesn't have any sensible justification.

Talking about H4 Didact only.

After some games in the team throwdown I'm gonna go out and say it feels hollow. Not just because its missing a large portion of halo 4's sandbox, but it also feels like its missing something else. Overall it just feels stripped down even in comparison to other halo games. I don't like it.

Also team throwdown has reminded me that join in progress is a necessary evil. I think less than 50% of my games have finished with all eight players.

jip is not needed, there are only 5k people playing TTD. You have a lot of quitters because there are to many gametypes in there and if someone wants team slayer and KOTH gets picked they are going to quit.

Given what the books told us it makes complete sense that the Didact's a ruthless, overcomplicated villain. 343 just told the wrong story despite them making it up.

To elaborate:

-Didact's wife is a space hippie and cares more about the enemy that's destroyed countless worlds than him.
-He meets a promising successor but ultimately gets betrayed by one of the most powerful figures of his race forcing him to burn out his "successor"'s collective consciousness and hijack his soul just to be able to survive.
-Meanwhile, while his old, pristine body is now completely open to Flood infection which means god knows what given he has the clearance to activate the entire fucking halo array with the push of a button.
-He finally has to kill his own god
-He's shot point blank in the chest twice with the most overpowered weapon in the series and then kept in isolation for a hundred thousand years, while his entire legacy is immolated all around him.
-The cherry on top is wiping the galaxy of all life only to find his wife's purported treachery managed to get his past enemies in the most powerful state they've ever been.

Going to try to ignore the currfuffle as best I can and just offer my opinion:

Spartan Ops Episode 10 & Conclusion:
The opening cutscene was mediocre and not particularly interesting. Not caring about anyone but Halsey will do that. I'd hoped the Didact symbol showing up would have meant more.. :-/

2 player coop, on Heroic. I only played Chapter 3 & 5, being told they were the good ones.
Which they were.

Having A.I. members who didn't die instantly and behaved, at least in kills and endurance more like actual Spartan's was appreciated. Chapter 3, was enjoyable, because no one segment lasted too long. The lich boarding itself, once you grab the jetpacks was overly short if anything, and gunning for the exit made for a good enjoyable moment.

Chapter 5 was alright, although I bet it was a nightmare on Legendary as somehow 343 though bringing back loads of FRGs was a good idea. Someone in 343 must have a sick love for them, right? The rest of it was fine. The gameplay shift was very cool... except it didn't happen in combat for me. Which makes it kind of pointless.
Limiting the cool new thing to a non-combat segment.. gah.

So it ends on a good enough note. I hold to the idea that it should be 3 missions, of superior quality & cost, like I'm guessing these ones were.

The conclusion... gah. Gah. Ye couldn't even kill Palmer. I don't give a damn about any of the Sp Ops characters aside from Halsey and maybe Lasky.
And I'm left cold by the ending. People riot, I don't even feel enough either way about it.
I'd no expectations for 343 to make me happy at this stage.

I feel the same about SpOps as I do about Halo 4.
343 showed great potential with the opening cutscene of Halo 4 and have failed to live up to it since. I wanted to "Beli343" so much and admire so many people working there, it's a damn shame.

Dumb Questions I do want to ask:

What's Jul's relationship with the Didact right now? Is Halsey going to be trading snipes with the fucking Didact in future cutscenes? *smh*

Team Throwdown
They're getting there, it's an improvement.
-Don't show the SR if it's not an indication of skill, it makes your matchmaking look poorer than I'm guessing it is.
-Time to get rid of Sprint
-Increase weapon spawn timers
-Harshly, harshly punish quitters

TCKaos

Finished SpOps.

What the fuck, man? So
the Artifact that you grabbed for Glassman was anchoring you in orbit the entire time? I thought we figured out that the Infinity was anchored a few episodes ago and stopped it then?

What the fuck is with Halsey defecting? I hate what 343's turned her in to, but honestly this was out of fucking nowhere. She was injured while being used as a human shield - in the arm, no less. A non-lethal hit if there ever was one. Why would she automatically assume that Majestic was trying to assassinate her (which of course Sarah Palmer was, but how would she be able to figure that out with one shot that appeared to be, by all accounts, a misfire?

What about John? What about all of the other S-IIs who just a few months ago she was willing to lie her life down for and kidnap to an entirely alien planet knowing in he heart of hearts that they were destined to lose the war with the Covenant? Did that single shot immediately take away all of her love for those kids? Did it make her so furious that she's willing to ally herself with the faction that holds all the same sentiments that those who killed her would-be husband and daughter? Did it make her so completely blind with rage that she would side with those who have burned thousands of planets, murdered billions of people, and killed many of the child soldiers she thought of as her own?

What the fuck 343?

Also the mission with the Lich was pretty good. The others were incredibly bland. It's like someone broke a Fuel Rod Gun Elite General pinata over every single mission. Who still thinks that's okay? Who's still alright with the heavily shielded enemy holding a weapon that kills instantly? Who's okay with putting more than half a dozen of those in to a single encounter and then having that encounter ten times?

EDIT: Well, on the upside,
the Prometheans are dead, so we're never going to see them ever again.

Guys, Silentium will explain everything. 300 pages of the Didact walking around Requiem, searching for his lost love.

128325.gif

This her?

"Saying that I'm extremely excited about the Team Throwdown playlist would be an understatement. I can personally attest to how much time, work and effort were put into these settings by the entire team, as well as the whole Halo community. These maps, game types and settings bring out a classic, competitive feel, and even provide room for the evolution of a strategic skill gap." - Eric "Ghostayame" Hewitt

“I am excited to have a playlist that has the most competitive weapons, settings and maps that Halo 4 has to offer!” - David “Walshy” Walsh

“The first time I played these settings, I hit a quick scope to win a 49-49 standoff – what else can you ask for in a competitive playlist? You may not be able to get the rush of a tournament every day, but with this new playlist, you can experience the best competitive settings Halo 4 offers. I like the Battle Rifle start, which adds a definitive skill gap. I personally can't wait to start dominating in Team Throwdown and get my level 50!" - Michael “StrongSide” Cavanaugh

willow ve

Throwdown needs a form of punishment for quitters. Two games in a row - entire other team quits out as soon as the first extraction point is captured by my team.

That last weeks set of Sparton Ops episodes was great from a gameplay perspective, it was also the first time we really had a intro that led into the missions, a coherent story all the way through the weeks episodes, and a conclusion. If they did this through all the weeks worth of content it would have been a lot better.

Also had a lot of fun with the Liche mission, drove a fully loaded hog onto the thing and then bailed out leaving the marines on it, which was hilarious.

On a story level though, holy shit how terrible has the Halo writing been the last few years? Between Greg Bear/ Karen Traviss and whoever wrote Spartan Ops Halo is basically generic fluff from a story standpoint.
Requiem just exploding, Halsey being a one armed evil scientist working with the enemy for revenge. I would cry if it wasn't so hilariously bad.

Gui_PT

That last weeks set of Sparton Ops episodes was great from a gameplay perspective, it was also the first time we really had a intro that led into the missions, a coherent story all the way through the weeks episodes, and a conclusion. If they did this through all the weeks worth of content it would have been a lot better.

Also had a lot of fun with the Liche mission, drove a fully loaded hog onto the thing and then bailed out leaving the marines on it, which was hilarious.

On a story level though, holy shit how terrible has the Halo writing been the last few years? Between Greg Bear/ Karen Traviss and whoever wrote Spartan Ops Halo is basically generic fluff from a story standpoint.
Requiem just exploding, Halsey being a one armed evil scientist working with the enemy for revenge. I would cry if it wasn't so hilariously bad.

Just think about that Halo "event" next to the London Bridge and everything else will look immensely better

Throwdown needs a form of punishment for quitters. Two games in a row - entire other team quits out as soon as the first extraction point is captured by my team.

Yea you kind of need a motivation (rank) to ensure people play competitively and the whole way through. If people are getting donged on they will just leave...and go get a better MM game.

There already is a quitting ban if these people habitually quit.

Karen Traviss' shitty writing wins again. Ruined Gears, Star Wars and now Halsey.

Brian Reed and Stu Aitken shouldn't be able to write anything for Halo anymore.

What the fuck? at least i know Destiny will have a decent story.

There is. You just set the weapons/AAs/perks in the player traits settings and set all of the loadouts to hidden. It works fine.
Huh. No idea why they don't use that in MM.

You have the tools to write a 300 page report about Halo.

Tools mean jack shit. You cannot just say that bsangel could easily give us more details about the TU because she has a computer.

Much like the bulletins, there is a protocol to follow and red tape to cross. It's really foolish to say the only thing holding back these large steps is their lack of willingness to do so.

Did you read the post I linked? The process of testing and implementing a MM game type does not last too terribly long.

You say that there is a protocol. Who does 343 have to answer to for MM changes other than themselves? My point is that 343 could return the game to classic settings but they have chosen not to because they think their vision of the game is good.

What ever happened to Nylund? Seriously?

Asked this awhile ago but it really needs to be asked again and again.

Nylund was the best Halo writer.

the two guys that wrote Spartan Ops are shit, Karen Traviss ruins series. and 343 just lets this shit happen.

they dont really care about the story of Halo. they dont care about the Universe, the multiplayer, any of that.

this is what a great series has become. Generic gameplay and generic writing/storytelling.

Booties

Banned
The gimmicky playlists that you're referring to are where the majority of the population resides, regardless of population decline. Explain that away.

Playlists are in place to make the game more appealing to those who long for older Halo gameplay (thank the gods)

Smaller maps will be here for said playlist by the end of the month, along with a Title Update (that should have been far more direct at what changes they are making).

What the fuck else do you want apart from more kindling for your bitchfest?

First off, look at the population. If the game was intrinsically better or catered to more players, then the numbers would be better than they are. Hell they'd be better than what Reach's were in the first 6 months.

Second, don't say "something something something.... at the end of the month" as a counter to my argument. It only further proves my point.

Third, the majority population is in those gimmicky playlists because the people they want to play the game quit.

If you're going to be an asshole, at least be correct.

It was fun to play though. I feel gameplay wise Spartan Ops improved as the season went on and the final episode continued this trend however when it comes to the universe and storyline I just feel 343 shit all over everything Bungie created and not in a good way. I respect the hell out of everyone at 343 despite this though and do wish them the best of luck with the franchise. I really do.

Yeah, they made huge improvements on so many levels in isn't even funny. I actually had fun with the second half of Sp Ops..

That said, it still has issues and did not live up to my expectations.. It doesn't really tough the highs of either SP or FF, and it needs a makeover in some departments. If a season 2 happens, I hope it plays out more like a SP expansion pack rather than the same formula we had in Sp Ops. A lot of the things David said were cut would go a long way to help.

I also want to be part of more than just a blank slate character/team. If a season 2 happens, give us some AI buddies with actual characters, and make them part of the CG.

I really hope 343 gets new writers soon and I hope they can salvage what shit they pulled in episode 10. I know
Halsey is playing Jul, but everything leading up to that was shit and the pay off to the story resulted in turning a well liked and known character into shit.
The plot line they are shooting for is not exciting or clever, its stupid. I could find fan-fic more exciting that where Halo's story is going. Again I know it might be an over-reaction but that really rubbed me in a wrong way, I don't really want to play Halo and I don't even want the new book even though I like Greg Bear....Im just kind of done I guess :/

It seriously feels like a poorly done fan fiction. 343 really, really fucked things up with the story. Dudebro-y Spartans, stereotype scientists, goofy dialogue and voice acting, cheesy, over the top dudebro-y plot. Blah. Lasky and Roland were the only good characters, and even Roland should be dialed back a bit.

The new Spartans suck. They lack the charm of ODSTs or the efficiencies of Spartan 2's.. They feel like some sort of GI Joe cartoon rather than Halo. Blah. I just don't fucking like what 343 did at all. Its really bad. They have talented people there, no doubt, but they went in the wrong fucking direction.

343 really has damaged the Halo story/universe. It really has taken a fucking cheesy, generic nose dive. Its a shame, because their idea if making all the expanded fiction count is great, but their execution.. ugh.

I feel like 343 has tried to replace everything in Halo with thier own version while devaluing and sweeping the old version under the rug. Cool Spartans! Big ships! Bigger guns! Meaner Covenant! Monster-like forerunner tech! And they did this on the gameplay side of things also.

And they fucking devalued the end of Halo 3, because the Covenant as far as I can tell still are at war with us and nothing has changed. Its just... ugh.

Top Bottom