• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else think it's weird that 343 made getting to SR 130 so easy? It seems to take about a fourth of the time as Inheritor, if not less.

I think part of the reason people feel Halo 2 had the "fastest" strafe is because of the field of view. Wasn't it one of the lowest out of all the Halo titles?

I could be way off base with this though. It's been a while...

That's Halo 3 I think. Halo 2's was in the sixties range, and Halo 3's was in the fifties. It helps explain that, even though you move basically at the same speed in Halo 2/3, some people think you moved faster in Halo 2. That, however, is the wider FOV at work.

Maybe they could have made it "hold up to re-roll" or something...

Nah, too much sense is being made.

A logical, easily implemented fix?
FEXlF.jpg

DeadNames

Banned
Sigh, this game would be so good without loadouts and ordnance.

Who knows? Maybe the new CTF wouldn't hurt too much.

EDIT: Holy shit, check out waypoint. Even the people there know that this game is boring and uninspired (which is an easy fix).

EDIT 2: And that ordnance sucks massive wang.

EDIT: Holy shit, check out waypoint. Even the people there know that this game is boring and uninspired (which is an easy fix).

Yea I'm really glad to see other communities parallel our general thoughts here. That, and the low Dailycharts, give me just an ounce of hope they'll turn this shitship around for Halo 5.

Blueblur1

That's Halo 3 I think. Halo 2's was in the sixties range, and Halo 3's was in the fifties. It helps explain that, even though you move basically at the same speed in Halo 2/3, some people think you moved faster in Halo 2. That, however, is the wider FOV at work.
What's Reach's FOV? I forgot it already.

Havok

Anyone else think it's weird that 343 made getting to SR 130 so easy? It seems to take about a fourth of the time as Inheritor, if not less.
It's 3.6 million XP to get to 130, while Inheritor was 20 million cR. Given that you earn far more XP per Halo 4 game (static) than you did across those early (Private to Hero) Reach levels, it's way, waaaay shorter than a fourth of the time.

I think that the progression has to be short if you hide gameplay unlocks behind it. I don't know if that was their reasoning, or if it was that they wanted each specialization to require the same amount of XP to complete (SR61-70 takes the same as 121-130), or both. Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if they extend it via DLC, and I hope that they don't put more gameplay items behind that, because I think the idea defeats any semblance of effort they're making to create "Halo for Everyone."

It's much much much much much less.

The progression system in Halo 4 is shockingly short, I haven't seen a AAA multiplayer game with one this short in a while.

Shortly after launch, I calculated that it would take me 3 months to get 130, and that was playing less than pretty much every other HaloGAFer that I regularly play with. In 2 years of playing Reach regularly, I made it about a third of the way through the progression system (now that's strictly a third by points, so it doesn't take into account that you get more points at higher levels, but it's still a staggering difference between the length of the progression systems of the two games).

What's Reach's FOV? I forgot it already.

If I am reading Halocharts correctly the lowest population on the Saturday the game came out was greater than the highest population that played the game yesterday.

willow ve

It's 3.6 million XP to get to 130, while Inheritor was 20 million cR. Given that you earn far more XP per game (static) than you did across those early (Private to Hero) Reach levels, it's way, waaaay shorter than a fourth of the time.

I think that the progression has to be short if you hide gameplay unlocks behind it. I don't know if that was their reasoning, or if it was that they wanted each specialization to require the same amount of XP to complete (SR61-70 takes the same as 121-130), or both. Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if they extend it via DLC, and I hope that they don't put more gameplay items behind that, because I think the idea defeats any semblance of effort they're making to create "Halo for Everyone."

And DEW XP cut that in half again...

JHall

Omni

Anything is better than the eternal grind that is the Reach cR system. Seeing the bar move a single pixel after a 15min match was so disheartening. Eventually I just gave up trying to reach it.

4's is nice. Probably would've preferred a system like BF3's though (You've got 50 main ranks and then another 100 for those who play a lot. Each of those 100 ranks only requires 230,000exp so it doesn't seem like a grind)

CyReN

Yea I'm really glad to see other communities parallel our general thoughts here. That, and the low Dailycharts, give me just an ounce of hope they'll turn this shitship around for Halo 5.

It's quite funny that the THC community was somewhat "outed" for being negative in the first few weeks of the game, now it seems to be mutual across the board besides the select few.

If I am reading Halocharts correctly the lowest population on the Saturday the game came out was greater than the highest population that played the game yesterday.

http://www.halocharts.com/2012/chart/dailypeakpopulation/all

Like others have said about this, we don't know the full day totals just the peak times.

u4iX

It's quite funny that the THC community was somewhat "outed" for being negative in the first few weeks of the game, now it seems to be mutual across the board besides the select few.

Yeah, that's definitely been interesting to observe.

Perhaps it's a constitute to the opinion that the competitive communities do pick up on the game better and do understand mechanics faster.

It's 3.6 million XP to get to 130, while Inheritor was 20 million cR. Given that you earn far more XP per game (static) than you did across those early (Private to Hero) Reach levels, it's way, waaaay shorter than a fourth of the time.

What bums me out is after reaching Inheritor, the game kept giving me credits. That I can't use. On anything. Ever. I seriously have millions of unusable credits. I'm assuming the XP system works the same (if anyone's a SR130 in here)?

Moa

Anything is better than the eternal grind that is the Reach cR system. Seeing the bar move a single pixel after a 15min match was so disheartening. Eventually I just gave up trying to reach it.

4's is nice. Probably would've preferred a system like BF3's though (You've got 50 main ranks and then another 100 for those who play a lot. Each of those 100 ranks only requires 230,000exp so it doesn't seem like a grind)

The only thing that kept me playing Halo: Reach was, although slow, grind to Inheritor.

With no skill based ranks, or a long progressive ranking system, I find no reason to play to be honest :/

I think a lot of people played Halo 3 at a higher FOV than Halo 2 because Halo 2 was largely played on fullscreen TV's (62 FOV), and a lot of people had widescreen TV's/monitors by the time Halo 3 came out (70 FOV).

The difference between the first two games and the last three is night and day. :/

Yup looks like the lowest valley on Saturday the week of release was at ~93K and yesterday the Peak was at 86003 which is also a new daily low from the day before 88911.

Yeah, that valley represents the lowest 'peak population' in that hour of that day. So, in other words, the minimum number of people on that night.

TheOddOne

XP system again show that they are shallow in FPS. Hey that thing called ranks might actually keep people playing. Wait, you don't say!

JHall

I think a lot of people played Halo 3 at a higher FOV than Halo 2 because Halo 2 was largely played on fullscreen TV's (62 FOV), and a lot of people had widescreen TV's/monitors by the time Halo 3 came out (70 FOV).

The difference between the first two games and the last three is night and day. :/

I was trying to be modest.

Havok

What are the Halo 4 FoVs?
I think David said here before release that it was the same as Reach. I might be misremembering that.
What bums me out is after reaching Inheritor, the game kept giving me credits. That I can't use. On anything. Ever. I seriously have millions of unusable credits. I'm assuming the XP system works the same (if anyone's a SR130 in here)?
I'm sure you'll still get them in the postgame screen, but I don't think there's a listing of how much total XP you have, just a current amount out of the next level's requirement. Don't quote me on this, because I'm only guessing, but it might just say "Specialization Complete" when you hit 130 just like any other post-50 interval of 10 (though I don't know what it says when you hit start at those intervals).

BigShow36

Isn't it frustrating that all these gripes, all these suggestions, all these things that seem so logical and simple to us will never make a lick of difference in the design of the next Halo game.

TheOddOne

Isn't it frustrating that all these gripes, all these suggestions, all these things that seem so logical and simple to us will never make a lick of difference in the design of the next Halo game.
"People are the internet are stupid, we look at the numbers and they tell us it's good."

Alright, dropping serious ideas since my trolling usually blurs with the genuine posts.

Loadouts
Primaries: Battle Rifle, Carbine, Light Rifle.
Automatic Primaries: Assault Rifle, Storm Rifle, Suppressor. Reduce range of all of them to half that of their respective Primaries. Suppressor dominates in point blank, Assault rifle in short range. Storm Rifle has less damage rates than either but does not need to reload and by extension comes with more ammo than either does by default.

Secondaries: Magnum, Plasma Pistol, Boltshot.
Magnum is mostly unchanged - I think it's found a nice balance in the sandbox now. Frame bonuses are still added while using it giving it a unique advantage. Maybe just add an option to fire it like an automatic for legacy players. Plasma Pistol has less homing but everything else is identical. Boltshot overcharge can only drain shields when charged and operates on a battery with identical rates to the Plasma Pistol, but is still headshot-capable.
Automatic Secondaries: Silenced SMG, Plasma Rifle, Oscillator. Silenced SMG is from ODST and unchanged. Plasma Rifle is the Halo CE variant, firing fat globs of blue plasma at a medium rate at people, also inducing slowdown to prevent people from running away like a bitch.
New Weapon: The Oscillator
The Oscillator also operates on a battery and has two firing modes. Its projectiles are a vibrant crimson, more red than purple. The primary firing mode is similar to a weakened Spiker with very mild homing functionality - it's the exact same projectile Enforcers use. It is good on shields, and bad against health. Pressing the zoom button will not activate a scope; instead, it switches to the Oscillator's alt-mode, indicated by a large red hardlight "sickle" projecting from the front of the gun. When fired, it sends out a red beam similar in looks to the Halo CE sentinel beam, with very minimal particle effects. The beam is good against health but bad against shields. The Oscillator would have the fastest kill time of the automatic secondaries - if you switch firing modes at the right time. Getting the switch right has a window of only a few frames and will often result in death before mastery, meaning this weapon has the highest skill curve of the loadout guns. The hardlight "sickle" can also be used for a stronger melee attack, similar to the Spiker. In-story, this weapon would be used by common Promethean infantry to combat the flood; the spike/shards to eliminate any shielding and pin them to walls, the beam to incinerate the flesh beyond recovery, and the sickle to section the body into unusable mass.

Grenades: Frag x2, Pulse x2, Plasma x1, Phase x1.

Frags are unchanged. Pulse grenades retain their radius and time, but now cannot kill on their own--at max damage they'll only drain shields and take some health. However, being caught inside one induces horizontal and vertical slowdown (meaning that people like Walshy will be bombing themselves so they don't fall to their death and all sorts of crazy shit) and it also drains your AA meter extremely fast. Pulse grenades also have an altmode of sorts: if you hold down the left trigger rather than press it once to throw, it will no longer induce slowdown, but cause an EMP effect, making them potentially anti-vehicle. Plasmas have a longer time until detonation between Halo CE and Halo 2 rates. Phase grenades also have an altmode: simply pressing the trigger will make them work like Firebombs. However, holding the trigger will make it function like a Spike Grenade, sending out Enforcer-like red hardlight shards when they explode. Holding the trigger is only to initiate the altmode - you can't "cook" grenades.

Armor Abilities:
Not getting into this now because it's a fucking term paper of a post. Just know that everybody gets them all at once, Crysis-style, with some significant balancing.

Armor Mods (Support and Tactical Packages):
Get rid of this shit.

Ordnance Drops:
This one's new to loadouts. Rather than be random, you now have access to a You Pick 10 sort of system for your three options. Some ideas include:
Ammo Resupply
-Drops a weapon pod full of ammo bags and batteries - they will work on virtually any weapon and replenish your loadout grenades. It will resupply a weapon's default load worth of ammo - a Rocket Launcher would get 2-4 more rockets, for example, and cannot be "overstocked" with the extra ammo. After you pick it up the pod dissipates preventing others from using it.
Explosive Personal Ordnance
-Railgun, Concussion Rifle, and Phasebuster (Promethean grenade launcher).
Melee Personal Ordnance
-Humbler Stun Baton, Energy Sword, or Hardlight Staff.
Wild Card Personal Ordnance
-Grenade Launcher, Gravity Hammer, or Gravity Wrench. Gravity Wrench is a Grapple Beam of sorts that you can use to pull weapons towards you from a limited range (relying on a battery that can run out), or occasionally "reel in" enemy players if you have enough of a charge for it. There could possibly be "Wrench Pads" on Forerunner walls that would allow you to swing or climb from them Metroid-style but it'd probably just fuck up map movement so probably not.
Powerup
-Speed Boost, Damage Boost, Overshield. Active Camo, maybe?

This is also modifiable on an individual basis when it comes to grouped options; if you want to always get a Grenade Launcher, Speed Boost, and Ammo Resupply as options, go for it.

Why does he have the marker over the player for Halo 3 and Reach but way off to the side for Halo 2 and Halo 1?

Never got the complaints about Halo 3's movement. I thought it was very smooth and I always felt you can do a number of crazy jumps and tricks in the game.
Regardless, the movement speeds are still basically the same, and what are the effects of widescreen vs. 4:3 in relationship to how fast you think you move? Halo 2 in widescreen has a larger FOV than Halo 3.

TheOddOne

WGA Announces New Media and Video Game Nominations
OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN VIDEOGAME WRITING

007 Legends, Written By Bruce Feirstein; Activision

Assassin’s Creed III, Story By Alex Hutchinson, Corey May, Matt Turner; Multiplayer Story By Richard Farrese, Jeffrey Yohalem; Lead Scriptwriter Corey May; Scriptwriter Nicholas Grimwood, Russell Lees, Matt Turner, Danny Wallace, Ceri Young; Ubisoft

Assassin’s Creed III: Liberation, Scriptwriting by Richard Farrese, Jill Murray; Ubisoft

Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two, Writing Consultant Marv Wolfman; Disney Interactive Studios

Halo 4, Narrative Design Christopher Schlerf; Microsoft Studios

Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Written By John Garvin; Sony Computer Entertainment America

CyReN

Are you reffering to his inability to aim? I was in the same room as him when he was playing and all the TVs suffered from SEVERE input lag. You're more than likely talking about lack of de-scoping though. I still don't mind it on the the primary weapons, but the snipers SHOULD de-scope. To show you how much I care about this issue - if you were to revert the entire system back de-scoping I probably wouldn't notice.

Played Reach a few days ago and it didn't even occur to me.

I guess at the end of the day it wasn't a necesary change.

It's a inside joke, but yea. Best Man said the experience was pretty horrible to play on like you mentioned.

Regardless, the movement speeds are still basically the same, and what are the effects of widescreen vs. 4:3 in relationship to how fast you think you move? Halo 2 in widescreen has a larger FOV than Halo 3.

Not sure about widescreen vs. 4:3, but the point was I played Halo 2 in fullscreen and Halo 3 in widescreen. I disliked the FOV in both 2 and 3, and I've never played 3 in fullscreen. 55? How is that even playable?

Halo 2 feels faster because it doesn't have that fun crippling inertia that Halo 3 so lovingly introduced to the series and has made movement feel like poop ever since. Also, part of Halo 2's movement feeling faster is simply smaller maps for the most part, less floaty jump, and a general faster pace of play.

CliQ

Alright, dropping serious ideas since my trolling usually blurs with the genuine posts.

Loadouts
Primaries: Battle Rifle, Carbine, Light Rifle.
Automatic Primaries: Assault Rifle, Storm Rifle, Suppressor. Reduce range of all of them to half that of their respective Primaries. Suppressor dominates in point blank, Assault rifle in short range. Storm Rifle has less damage rates than either but does not need to reload and by extension comes with more ammo than either does by default.

Secondaries: Magnum, Plasma Pistol, Boltshot.
Magnum is mostly unchanged - I think it's found a nice balance in the sandbox now. Frame bonuses are still added while using it giving it a unique advantage. Maybe just add an option to fire it like an automatic for legacy players. Plasma Pistol has less homing but everything else is identical. Boltshot overcharge can only drain shields when charged and operates on a battery with identical rates to the Plasma Pistol, but is still headshot-capable.
Automatic Secondaries: Silenced SMG, Plasma Rifle, Oscillator. Silenced SMG is from ODST and unchanged. Plasma Rifle is the Halo CE variant, firing fat globs of blue plasma at a medium rate at people, also inducing slowdown to prevent people from running away like a bitch.
New Weapon: The Oscillator
The Oscillator also operates on a battery and has two firing modes. Its projectiles are a vibrant crimson, more red than purple. The primary firing mode is similar to a weakened Spiker with very mild homing functionality - it's the exact same projectile Enforcers use. It is good on shields, and bad against health. Pressing the zoom button will not activate a scope; instead, it switches to the Oscillator's alt-mode, indicated by a large red hardlight "sickle" projecting from the front of the gun. When fired, it sends out a red beam similar in looks to the Halo CE sentinel beam, with very minimal particle effects. The beam is good against health but bad against shields. The Oscillator would have the fastest kill time of the automatic secondaries - if you switch firing modes at the right time. Getting the switch right has a window of only a few frames and will often result in death before mastery, meaning this weapon has the highest skill curve of the loadout guns. The hardlight "sickle" can also be used for a stronger melee attack, similar to the Spiker. In-story, this weapon would be used by common Promethean infantry to combat the flood; the spike/shards to eliminate any shielding and pin them to walls, the beam to incinerate the flesh beyond recovery, and the sickle to section the body into unusable mass.

Grenades: Frag x2, Pulse x2, Plasma x1, Phase x1.

Frags are unchanged. Pulse grenades retain their radius and time, but now cannot kill on their own--at max damage they'll only drain shields and take some health. However, being caught inside one induces horizontal and vertical slowdown (meaning that people like Walshy will be bombing themselves so they don't fall to their death and all sorts of crazy shit) and it also drains your AA meter extremely fast. Pulse grenades also have an altmode of sorts: if you hold down the left trigger rather than press it once to throw, it will no longer induce slowdown, but cause an EMP effect, making them potentially anti-vehicle. Plasmas have a longer time until detonation between Halo CE and Halo 2 rates. Phase grenades also have an altmode: simply pressing the trigger will make them work like Firebombs. However, holding the trigger will make it function like a Spike Grenade, sending out Enforcer-like red hardlight shards when they explode. Holding the trigger is only to initiate the altmode - you can't "cook" grenades.

Armor Abilities:
Not getting into this now because it's a fucking term paper of a post. Just know that everybody gets them all at once, Crysis-style, with some significant balancing.

Armor Mods (Support and Tactical Packages):
Get rid of this shit.

Ordnance Drops:
This one's new to loadouts. Rather than be random, you now have access to a You Pick 10 sort of system for your three options. Some ideas include:
Ammo Resupply
-Drops a weapon pod full of ammo bags and batteries - they will work on virtually any weapon and replenish your loadout grenades. It will resupply a weapon's default load worth of ammo - a Rocket Launcher would get 2-4 more rockets, for example, and cannot be "overstocked" with the extra ammo. After you pick it up the pod dissipates preventing others from using it.
Explosive Personal Ordnance
-Railgun, Concussion Rifle, and Phasebuster (Promethean grenade launcher).
Melee Personal Ordnance
-Humbler Stun Baton, Energy Sword, or Hardlight Staff.
Wild Card Personal Ordnance
-Grenade Launcher, Gravity Hammer, or Gravity Wrench. Gravity Wrench is a Grapple Beam of sorts that you can use to pull weapons towards you from a limited range (relying on a battery that can run out), or occasionally "reel in" enemy players if you have enough of a charge for it. There could possibly be "Wrench Pads" on Forerunner walls that would allow you to swing or climb from them Metroid-style but it'd probably just fuck up map movement so probably not.
Powerup
-Speed Boost, Damage Boost, Overshield. Active Camo, maybe?

This is also modifiable on an individual basis when it comes to grouped options; if you want to always get a Grenade Launcher, Speed Boost, and Ammo Resupply as options, go for it.

I read your whole post and thought it was interesting. I do have to disagree with the fact that you took out the DMR. The DMR is more enjoyable to me than the Br. I like single shot weapons. The carbine is a good alternative but I do not like holding an alien weapon as my main gun. Also, I like the firing rate of the DMR. The Oscillator is different but honestly I feel like Halo should trim down the amount of guns in the game. The Railgun, SAW, Binary Rifle, Sticky Detonator, Spartan Laser, Concussion rifle, and Fuel Rod Gun are all awesome weapons but I think it's just too much. Size it down to SAW and Railgun and then we I think we have a good mix of weapons. That would leave the Rockets, Railgun and SAW.

This is going to be lame but whatever. I'm obviously a huge fan of Halo, but H4 disappointed me. I don't own it anymore, and have not played the game in well over a month. People called me out for complaining about the game when I don't even own it, they have a good point. As much as I loved Halo as a series, and as much as I enjoy being a part of this community, just reading about people's constant disappointments with the H4 gets me down. I think I am going to take a break from HaloGAF. You're an awesome bunch of people, and I have enjoyed playing with some of you and interacting on this forum. Sorry for being annoying on here askng about PMs and bitching about H4. Maybe 343 will fix some of the things I have issues with in a TU, and maybe I'll come back. But for me currently, my love for Halo is fading quick. I am unsure of where the franchise is heading in the future, and I really can't trust 343 like I did before. I may peep in here or there.

So for now, all I can do is hope.

Peace everyone.

Not sure about widescreen vs. 4:3, but the point was I played Halo 2 in fullscreen and Halo 3 in widescreen. I disliked the FOV in both 2 and 3 (Reach had a wide enough one for my tastes), and I've never played 3 in fullscreen. 55? How is that even playable?

Halo 2 feels faster because it doesn't have that fun crippling inertia that Halo 3 so lovingly introduced to the series and has made movement feel like poop ever since. Also, part of Halo 2's movement feeling faster is simply smaller maps for the most part, less floaty jump, and a general faster pace of play.

My original point was about how fast you actually move, as in from A to B, not the overall feeling or pace of the game, which I do agree that Halo 3 had a slower pace than Halo 2.

Top Bottom