• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Fracas

#fuckonami
Team Throwdown thoughts:

-Sprint is horrid. Seriously, kill it with fire
-"Allies only" radar is a poor substitute for lack of red X's. Just keep it with no radar or standard
-Mix of standard ordnance and map weapons is unnecessary, go one way or the other
-Solid mix of gametypes and maps. Simplex is still awesome
-Armor ability personal ordnance is not as bad as I thought it would be
-Extraction doesn't work particularly well on small maps. Kind of a worse KoTH
-Quitting is a major problem, and needs to be addressed soon. Finished the majority of matches with 2+ players absent
-It's currently the best Halo 4 has to offer in MM, but this playlist will die soon. Incorporate settings into other playlists

Arnie

Whilst I agree with pretty much all complaints, it needs to be reaffirmed that Throwdown is head and shoulders above the vanilla experience in every single way. The biggest problem is quitters, which is partly a result of 343's inane join in progress system which disregards player quitting and justifies doing so.

CliQ

I've spawned into snipers line of sight several times on KOTH shutout. Is that what competitive is supposed to be like?

I think 343 should do something similar to league of legends where when you quit out you can't join another game until the game you quit out of ended, and if you do search while that game is going on you get put back in the game you left.

I think it's a good compromise for join in progress.

blamite

I've played exactly one game of Throwdown, Slayer BRs on Simplex. But impressions still:

-110% movement seems like it could be a little too fast. Honestly I'm not really sue why the game needs to be faster than default, especially if Sprint is here to stay. I can see why some would like it but I just don't see it as necessary.
-I actually like ally only radar. Being able to tell at a glance what level of backup is nearby is really useful.
-Is the overshield actually 2x? If so, is the second level also green? I picked it up once and only noticed it fill up once, but it seemed to take more damage that one level of OS would normally take. (I may be totally 100% wrong about this) It'd kind of sucks if you can't tell exactly what level of shielding you have.
-Simplex is still great. Get this map in everything probably.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I think 343 should do something similar to league of legends where when you quit out you can't join another game until the game you quit out of ended, and if you do search while that game is going on you get put back in the game you left.

I think it's a good compromise for join in progress.

Is that how it works? That's rough considering those matches can take about an hour lol (If it's anything like Dota2 that is)

CliQ

If youre bad. Yes.

Right, well I can see you took the time to think that out. Anyway, I think after the initial fight for sniper and snipe tower has ended, whichever team holds landing and sniper tower wins the rest of the game. I just don't see what is so competitive about that. It really does just boil down to those first 30ish seconds. Then what happens is if your not playing with a team (or maybe you are) someone people might get fed up and quit. I know everyone has seen atleast one person quit on your team or the enemy's. There's no incentive to keep playing. I guess i'll just try it when I only have a full team. Either way if that's the only way to really play in that playlist then Team Throwdown will suffer from very low populations.

Booties

Banned
Put infinity in the bottom of the hopper lists. See how that changes things too.

Sprint is bad.
Not crazy about dominion either.

Had to take a break from it because of all the quitters. Decided to play CTF where every single person on the other team is camping on adrift with SAWs. OK.

Is that how it works? That's rough considering those matches can take about an hour lol (If it's anything like Dota2 that is)
From what I know. I only just started playing last semester and am like 20-30 games deep, but me and two friends couldn't connect to one of our matches because of our horrid college connection and we had to wait like 30 mins before finding a new game.

CliQ

Put infinity in the bottom of the hopper lists. See how that changes things too.

Sprint is bad.
Not crazy about dominion either.

Had to take a break from it because of all the quitters. Decided to play CTF where every single person on the other team is camping on adrift with SAWs. OK.

Yeah sprint sucks, they should just take movement out of this game too.

wwm0nkey

Maybe he means this?

IMG_8080-525x295.jpg

CliQ

I think if they took sprint out, put us all in one big square, and made it so we couldn't move, then I would be happy. That's competitive right there. You know what I think the only way to get kills should be ONLY head shots too. That's competitive. When you run out of ammo you have to use your fists (but you can only do damage buying punching there heads). Yeah that sounds about right to me.

Ship it

Team Throwback seems fun. Quitting is an issue just like old halo games. It's amazing how much BR starts fix the whole cross mapping issue.

Kid gets sniped all day and then complains, it sounds like he doesnt understand the game.

Its OK you just dont know as much about Halo as us.

Havok

Being able to hit B and back out of a voting lobby as long as you haven't voted makes the quitting issue far worse than in previous games where you'd have to dashboard, in my experience. If your party leader doesn't vote then he can get your entire party out at the press of a button. It's a silly decision.

I'd say that you could enable JIP for the playlist...but if it barely works half the time and I don't have the ability to opt out of it and play a full match of actual Halo instead of a dozen 3 minute bursts where I'm joining on a losing team, then I'd rather they stay as far away from it as possible.

I think if they took sprint out, put us all in one big square, and made it so we couldn't move, then I would be happy. That's competitive right there. You know what I think the only way to get kills should be ONLY head shots too. That's competitive. When you run out of ammo you have to use your fists (but you can only do damage buying punching there heads). Yeah that sounds about right to me.

Ship it
just a friendly reminder, there's this thing called logic that when applied to your argument can make it much better and not useless

CliQ

Kid gets sniped all day and then complains, it sounds like he doesnt understand the game.

Its OK you just dont know as much about Halo as us.

Well, I've been playing since the day Halo 1 came out but I wasn't in the beta or anything so you got me there. I will say I understand that you have to fight for a power weapon. What I have trouble with is if you lose that fight for the weapon and then spawn right in the sights of the person you just lost to, How are you supposed to even contest that person when he can just insta snipe you? Plus I think spawn trapping isn't competitive. I dunno maybe it's probably me, halo has been going down this road for a long time. Competitive is the most stale version of the game. No wonder Juices defends it. It's static like his brain.

Shadders

SpOps 10.

I can't see it being a straight up heel turn from Halsey, that would just be rotten story telling, textbook character derailment. It's such a bizarre thing to end the season on too, it really didn't feel like a worthy pay-off for finishing the Season.

She must be using Jul to get back to the UNSC and get the other half of the key, her academic intrigue will have her wanting to get both parts of the key. It's the only explanation that isn't horrid story telling, but even then it's a bizarre way to end the season and certainly didn't leave me pumped for Season 2.

And what the fuck has happened to that ship Guilty Spark commandeered?

heckfu

Banned
Well, I've been playing since the day Halo 1 came out but I wasn't in the beta or anything so you got me there. I will say I understand that you have to fight for a power weapon. What I have trouble with is if you lose that fight for the weapon and then spawn right in the sights of the person you just lost to, How are you supposed to even contest that person when he can just insta snipe you? Plus I think spawn trapping isn't competitive. I dunno maybe it's probably me, halo has been going down this road for a long time. Competitive is the most stale version of the game. No wonder Juices defends it. It's static like his brain.

thank you for taking the pressure off of my rant yesterday, appreciate it.

also, I'll be off work at my usual late time tonight, folks, if you guys wanna..eh hmm..throw down.

Fuchsdh

Some of you might have Mid7night's kickass Bungie UI chrome for iOS. (If you don't, it's here). I used that as the basis for the first revision of my own iPhone theme, "Requiem".

G4N9Skx.png

What is it?:
*Some 30+ icons to replace virtually all the default iOS app icons, plus a few 3rd party ones--Skype, Dropbox, Gmail, Twitter, Facebook, Soundhound, etc.
*A custom lockscreen slider and battery percentage indicator.
*Wallpaper, in two flavors for 640x960 iPhones (4S and earlier) and 640x1136 (iPhone 5).
*Mid7night's custom carrier and WiFi icons--I originally had them as placeholder and might replace them, but frankly they were better than the ideas I had, so I'm including them.

Compatibility:
*Tested on an iPhone 4S running iOS 6. Sadly, the limits of the Winterboard theming app mean that certain elements of the theme are broken--included is Midnight's overshield sound, for instance, although it doesn't actually work in iOS 6. There's only icon@2x.png for almost all the applications, so it won't work on a non-retina iPhone or iPads; if people want I can work on a more polished release in the future with support for those. I wasn't entirely happy with how the icons are readable and designed, but I figured I'd release what I had before I started messing with it again.

The screens:
http://davidhfuchs.com/host/requiem_demo1.PNG
http://davidhfuchs.com/host/requiem_demo2.PNG
http://davidhfuchs.com/host/requiem_demo3.PNG
http://davidhfuchs.com/host/requiem_demo4.PNG

Downloads and installation:
* .ZIP Archive of theme: Download (3.6MB)
* You'll need Winterboard on a jailbroken phone. For iOS 6, you use Evasi0n; for iOS 5 you use Absinthe. The theme gets installed via SSH to /var/stash/themes.

Enjoy!

IHaveIce

Banned
SpOps 10.

I can't see it being a straight up heel turn from Halsey, that would just be rotten story telling, textbook character derailment. It's such a bizarre thing to end the season on too, it really didn't feel like a worthy pay-off for finishing the Season.

She must be using Jul to get back to the UNSC and get the other half of the key, her academic intrigue will have her wanting to get both parts of the key. It's the only explanation that isn't horrid story telling, but even then it's a bizarre way to end the season and certainly didn't leave me pumped for Season 2.

And what the fuck has happened to that ship Guilty Spark commandeered?
Even if she is using Jul ( what I think is true) it is still poorly written. Also I'm still confused what Jul's intention is.. he just wants to kill humanity? I mean he doesn't believe anymore in the Great Journey.

And what happened to Guilty Spark? Who knows, but it is the only big thing out of the new books which wasn't brought into Halo 4.

Shadders

Even if she is using Jul ( what I think is true) it is still poorly written. Also I'm still confused what Jul's intention is.. he just wants to kill humanity? I mean he doesn't believe anymore in the Great Journey.

And what happened to Guilty Spark? Who knows, but it is the only big thing out of the new books which wasn't brought into Halo 4.

Jul wants to kill humanity, because he believes (rightly) that humanity is looking for a way to wipe out Sangheillios. I think that's a fair motivation, he's just using the religious zealots to get what he wants.

Being able to hit B and back out of a voting lobby as long as you haven't voted makes the quitting issue far worse than in previous games where you'd have to dashboard, in my experience. If your party leader doesn't vote then he can get your entire party out at the press of a button. It's a silly decision.

I'd say that you could enable JIP for the playlist...but if it barely works half the time and I don't have the ability to opt out of it and play a full match of actual Halo instead of a dozen 3 minute bursts where I'm joining on a losing team, then I'd rather they stay as far away from it as possible.

Stop quitting out between games.

Computer

I do not like the way 343 is taking the story of Halo in fact I hate it. They are getting to far into useless characters that have no appeal to me. I don't read any Halo fiction outside of the games like 90% of people that play the campaigns and I feel the story was better when it was simple. Mater Chief, Cortana, UNSC, Flood, Covenant, Halo's, and war. The story has went way off track and is not interesting at all.

Gui_PT

Some of you might have Mid7night's kickass Bungie UI chrome for iOS. (If you don't, it's here). I used that as the basis for the first revision of my own iPhone theme, "Requiem".

G4N9Skx.png

What is it?:
*Some 30+ icons to replace virtually all the default iOS app icons, plus a few 3rd party ones--Skype, Dropbox, Gmail, Twitter, Facebook, Soundhound, etc.
*A custom lockscreen slider and battery percentage indicator.
*Wallpaper, in two flavors for 640x960 iPhones (4S and earlier) and 640x1136 (iPhone 5).
*Mid7night's custom carrier and WiFi icons--I originally had them as placeholder and might replace them, but frankly they were better than the ideas I had, so I'm including them.

Compatibility:
*Tested on an iPhone 4S running iOS 6. Sadly, the limits of the Winterboard theming app mean that certain elements of the theme are broken--included is Midnight's overshield sound, for instance, although it doesn't actually work in iOS 6. There's only icon@2x.png for almost all the applications, so it won't work on a non-retina iPhone or iPads; if people want I can work on a more polished release in the future with support for those. I wasn't entirely happy with how the icons are readable and designed, but I figured I'd release what I had before I started messing with it again.

The screens:
http://davidhfuchs.com/host/requiem_demo1.PNG
http://davidhfuchs.com/host/requiem_demo2.PNG
http://davidhfuchs.com/host/requiem_demo3.PNG
http://davidhfuchs.com/host/requiem_demo4.PNG

Downloads and installation:
* .ZIP Archive of theme: Download (3.6MB)
* You'll need Winterboard on a jailbroken phone. For iOS 6, you use Evasi0n; for iOS 5 you use Absinthe. The theme gets installed via SSH to /var/stash/themes.

Enjoy!

What about poor people that don't have an iPhone?

WHAT ABOUT US?

I do not like the way 343 is taking the story of Halo in fact I hate it. They are getting to far into useless characters that have no appeal to me. I don't read any Halo fiction outside of the games like 90% of people that play the campaigns and I feel the story was better when it was simple. Mater Chief, Cortana, UNSC, Flood, Covenant, Halo's, and war. The story has went way off track and is not interesting at all.

Actually A large amount of people that play the game for the campaign also read the Extended Universe fiction. so your assumption is wrong there.

and the games are subpar compared to the EU anyway.

Akai__

when do I get my CA shirt.

edit - whats up with the dark theme?

NeoGAF launched some new features, like "who quoted me" and highlighted posts/quotes, like on mobileGAF. Since then, all other custom scripts are buggy. And you don't want to ask EviLore about it.

My poor soul could rest easy if the Halo story had ended at 3. Fight finished. Peace. The Galaxy is safe. The Forerunners and everything that came before still a huge mystery. I could continue to imagine what exactly Chief is floating towards. What exactly did Mendicant Bias mean when he said he wanted to make amends. Just me, my imagination, and the thought of what could be. Now I am stuck with this post Halo 3 Halo.

Fuchsdh

What about poor people that don't have an iPhone?

WHAT ABOUT US?

I cannae' help you. I can give you the original PSDs if you want, but I know nothing about Android theming and don't have anything to test on :)

My poor soul could rest easy if the Halo story had ended at 3. Fight finished. Peace. The Galaxy is safe. The Forerunners and everything that came before still a huge mystery. I could continue to imagine what exactly Chief is floating towards. What exactly did Mendicant Bias mean when he said he wanted to make amends. Just me, my imagination, and the thought of what could be. Now I am stuck with this post Halo 3 Halo.

But it can, if you want. The movies, music, video games, television episodes that come after the work you love may not be what you want, but this isn't Star Wars. You can still play those original experiences and enjoy them.

Havok

Stop quitting out between games.
I'll stop quitting out between games when it stops giving me teammates who play like they don't have working thumbs and full enemy teams of 130s.

Staying in the lobby is almost always a guarantee of a shitty experience, backing out at least lets me roll the dice. Even if I stayed in the match, if enough people back out (which happens every single time) there is zero guarantee that I'll see a voting lobby.

The JIP implementation is horrible in H4, it's indefensible.

Shadders

On the subject of SpOps 10,
could you imagine if Halsey did defect? She could start a Spartan program for Elites, Grunts with Mjolnir and just imagine what she could do with regards outfitting Storm's ships with Forerunner tech. The future looks pretty bleak if she truly has defected..

Top Bottom