• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Fuchsdh

Which is entirely the point of making Halo 5 have both styles of play. You can either play Halo 5 with Halo 2/3 style of gameplay, or you can play it with Halo:Reach/Halo 4 style of gameplay. Appease both sections of the fanbase. Make both of them want to play it. You'd have to divide the community, yes, but that's better then sectioning off and abandoning one part of the community.

In theory. No one likes to piss off people. But the theory of "just build two Halos" just isn't that feasible in practice. Maybe they'll try it, maybe they won't. But my point is if Halo isn't what you want... let it go.

Anyone else excited for Spartan Ops and the Forge playlist tomorrow? Hopefully I will start playing Halo 4 more after tomorrow.

Yep. Interested in seeing what the community's got done in Forge thus far.

FyreWulff

You would think after 3 Xbox Live Halo games it would be a no brainer to have Team Doubles, BTB Obj, Team Snipers, Team SWAT, etc. Especially by those that "love Halo".

The thing that bothers me about the whole rotating playlist idea is they make it like it's a "treat" or "reward" to be added.

Actually going off past Halo games, it'd be a no brainer to never have a BTB Objective. When Halo 2 split BTB into BTB Slayer and BTB Objective, the Objective one bottomed out in population and they eventually ended up recombined. When there was BTB Mythic in Halo 3, it had a much higher waiting on Objective and had to be executed. When they had DLC Slayer and DLC Objective, DLC Objective was the first one of the two to get deleted.

CyReN

Actually going off past Halo games, it'd be a no brainer to never have a BTB Objective. When Halo 2 split BTB into BTB Slayer and BTB Objective, the Objective one bottomed out in population and they eventually ended up recombined.

Why not just have a playlist called Big Team Battle and have the selection come from OBJ and TS gametypes?

FyreWulff

Why not just have a playlist called Big Team Battle and have the selection come from OBJ and TS gametypes?

The presence of optional objective gametypes, even if low weighted, will drop the population of a playlist.

edit: A stat given to us by Bungie before they handed off Reach was the average player would leave a playlist and never come back after getting objective voted in twice when they voted for something else.

Akai__

Anyone else excited for Spartan Ops and the Forge playlist tomorrow? Hopefully I will start playing Halo 4 more after tomorrow.

Looking forward to Spartan Ops, but don't know about multiplayer.

I assume, that Tashi knows, which maps are in the Forge Playlist, but he can't tell us, right?

Yes. I still have no idea why, if 343 was so hellbent on having fewer playlists active, they would not use the hopper style for them. Flag, KOTH, Extraction and King should all be in a Team Objective playlist hopper. BTB should be a hopper that includes objective gametypes along with slayer variants.

Etc., etc.

TCKaos

It can't be helped, I'd comment on the silky smooth networking and how the lag surely had to have been all in your head, but I'd be squeezing the blood out of the tombstone of a dead horse.

So I'll just say TERA is going F2P soon, look at dem colours:

What about the lolis with dem child bearing hips?

blamite

Looking forward to Spartan Ops, but don't know about multiplayer.

I assume, that Tashi knows, which maps are in the Forge Playlist, but he can't tell us, right?

I thought we were supposed to get a list of which maps would be included over the weekend, but I guess that didn't happen?

1.16 Bulletin said:
We’ll provide the complete list of maps this weekend in the Matchmaking section of our forums. Once the playlist is live, we’ll create and maintain individual threads for each map. The Matchmaking Systems Team will actively monitor these threads throughout the week and use your feedback to determine which maps will be added to Matchmaking. We hope you’re as excited as we are about the Community Forge Test playlist!

Yeah, it is pretty bad and Halo 4 was just an extension of it. I still haven't read Primordium because Cryptum just left me frustrated.
Yeah I won't read Primordium after reading Cryptum.
Why doesn't Flood get considered for rotation.
No King of the Hill playlist and no sign of Extraction for a rotational playlist, yet Flood is permanent and Team Regicide is essentially permanent at this point.
The presence of optional objective gametypes, even if low weighted, will drop the population of a playlist.

edit: A stat given to us by Bungie before they handed off Reach was the average player would leave a playlist and never come back after getting objective voted in twice when they voted for something else.
tumblr_lliu2zmKsY1qdf6w8o1_r1_400.gif

blamite

No King of the Hill playlist and no sign of Extraction for a rotational playlist, yet Flood is permanent and Team Regicide is essentially permanent at this point.

Replace Regicide with Team Regicide, replace Flood with an FFA playlist combining Slayer, Regicide, Hill and Ball, combine Extraction and Dominion into a Team Control playlist.

If my count is right, that'd put us at 8 playlists, leaving room to either bring back Team King as it's own playlist and have one rotational list, or condense team objective games even further and have room for more permanent playlists like Team Snipers or Pro, and a rotational list or two

Replace Regicide with Team Regicide, replace Flood with an FFA playlist combining Slayer, Regicide, Hill and Ball, combine Extraction and Dominion into a Team Control playlist.

If my count is right, that'd put us at 8 playlists, leaving room to either bring back Team King as it's own playlist and have one rotational list, or condense team objective games even further and have room for more permanent playlists like Team Snipers or Pro, and a rotational list or two
I think Dominion is such a different style of play that it demands its own playlist.
Kinda like Invasion, but not as extreme.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
gYGZKl.jpg

FyreWulff

I thought it was a great idea until it became a tournament.

Well that was really a renaming plus changing of the .jpg for certain playlists.

I'm talking about stuff like SWAT sticking around when it should have been properly rotated out and something else in it's place. We still have two Regicide playlists and now no King of the Hill so they could keep the supposed-to-rotate-but-actually-dont playlists up.

Coming back each week to find something new to play or anticipating the return of a playlist sounded neat. Then they deleted my favorite playlist and already repeated the Super Slayer / Team Slayer mistake from Reach with having both Team Regicide and FFA Regicide.

Overdoziz

Banned
Random idea that popped into my head:
-Have a playlist with both Slayer and Objective
-Let it match up full teams of 4 only with other full teams of 4
-Without full teams only Slayer shows up, with two full teams of 4 both Slayer and Objective show up.

A stat I'll give you is because 343 doesnt have ranked playlists, or a good playlist scheme, Halo 4 has been out two months and already peaks at like 90k users...

So really any information about objective playlists isnt that useful guy.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Does anyone know why my post about Halo 4's story was more or less plagiarized in the OP of that thread? Not that I would normally mind but it came out jumbled with grammatical errors and I'd rather just be directly quoted.

FyreWulff

Random idea that popped into my head:
-Have a playlist with both Slayer and Objective
-Let it match up full teams of 4 only with other full teams of 4
-Without full teams only Slayer shows up, with two full teams of 4 both Slayer and Objective show up.

Interesting. I'd like the matchmaking to be able to dynamically change the map selection pool based on the configuration of the players in the party. If there's a 4-split box in the game, Forge variants don't show up. If there's only 2-split boxes, 2-split compatible Forge maps show up but ones that tank 4 don't. If everyone in the game is on their own box, then Forge variants made for single screen are selectable from the pool.

Toa TAK

Banned

I'm excited for Spartan Ops. I'm indifferent when it comes to the multiplayer. After loosing TU Slayer across the whole game in Reach. It just doesn't matter anymore.

Why doesn't Flood get considered for rotation.
Because Flood is fun.

Rev3rb

Does anyone know why my post about Halo 4's story was more or less plagiarized in the OP of that thread? Not that I would normally mind but it came out jumbled with grammatical errors and I'd rather just be directly quoted.

Waypoint.

dunno :/

Well that was really a renaming plus changing of the .jpg for certain playlists.

I'm talking about stuff like SWAT sticking around when it should have been properly rotated out and something else in it's place. We still have two Regicide playlists and now no King of the Hill so they could keep the supposed-to-rotate-but-actually-dont playlists up.

Coming back each week to find something new to play or anticipating the return of a playlist sounded neat. Then they deleted my favorite playlist and already repeated the Super Slayer / Team Slayer mistake from Reach with having both Team Regicide and FFA Regicide.
Well I'm willing to concede SWAT because it was simply going to be too popular to stay as a rotational playlist.
I would be so happy if a mercenaries playlist came into the rotation.

probably won't happen :(
Just enforce the MM filters that already exist instead of creating a duplicate playlist.

Fuchsdh

A stat I'll give you is because 343 doesnt have ranked playlists, or a good playlist scheme, Halo 4 has been out two months and already peaks at like 90k users...

So really any information about objective playlists isnt that useful guy.

"I don't like facts that disagree with my vision, so I'll say that they are irrelevant."

What you're giving us is a hypothesis that can't be tested.

Which is entirely the point of making Halo 5 have both styles of play. You can either play Halo 5 with Halo 2/3 style of gameplay, or you can play it with Halo:Reach/Halo 4 style of gameplay. Appease both sections of the fanbase. Make both of them want to play it. You'd have to divide the community, yes, but that's better then sectioning off and abandoning one part of the community.
That would never work. See TU/Vanilla split in Reach. I hope in your hypothetical Halo 5 that Halo 2/3 style gameplay isn't solely relegated to custom games because that would never fly with most folks.

Blueblur1

Yes. I still have no idea why, if 343 was so hellbent on having fewer playlists active, they would not use the hopper style for them. Flag, KOTH, Extraction and King should all be in a Team Objective playlist hopper. BTB should be a hopper that includes objective gametypes along with slayer variants.

Etc., etc.

That would be awesome. And I'm not even trying to sound sarcastic.

GrizzNKev

Banned
When they inevitably register here I'll hold him for you.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant the gaming side thread asking if Halo 4's story was necessary. And almost the entire thing was a riff off of a post I made in here, and it included my post as well. I PMed the OP and asked them to quote me directly.

AAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW SHIT HECKFU IN THE BUILDING

Also, actually playing Halo 4, and whenever I do I find myself moving to BTB after a few games simply to get some damn map variety. 4v4 is literally Haven and Adrift. That February map pack can't come any sooner.

"I don't like facts that disagree with my vision, so I'll say that they are irrelevant."

What you're giving us is a hypothesis that can't be tested.

Already been tested dude.

Halo 2 - had ranked/unranked/objectives/slayers spread out. Result = Good.
Halo 3 - had ranked/unranked/objectives/slayers spread out. Result = Good.
Halo Reach - had arena and the rest were social. Result = Stunk.
Halo 4 - All Social, no ranked playlists. Result = Hot Garbage.

Get off me.

Top Bottom