• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

I had quite an easy time on Legendary and and I rarely had ammo issues, but it simply wasn't any fun. Like I said before, killing Knights (and other Prometheans) was more of a chore than anything enjoyable.

Oh, okay, that makes more sense. Yeah, agreed. I thought people's complaints were about the illusion of difficulty or something.

I will admit the Incinerator Knight Battlewagons are bullet sponges, though - they're the only infantry other than Hunters that can survive a direct hit from an Incineration Cannon on legendary. Granted, the auxiliary explosions usually kill them, but that's still some bullshit.

TheOddOne

Except Sony's are getting looser, while MS' are becoming more of a problem.
Don't know if you can't say that per se. We know next to nothing about how MS' is going to handle it in the future. Most of the complaints are still relevant to both the 360 and PS3. The PS4 on the other hand is new hardware and isn't constraint by old policies.

Overdoziz

Banned
If the majority of the players in a match are European I get host all the time.

2604723254.png

suck it xeno lock

Don't know if you can't say that per se. We know next to nothing about how MS' is going to handle it in the future. Most of the complaints are still relevant to both the 360 and PS3. The PS4 on the other hand is new hardware and isn't constraint by old policies.

Haven't read that article, but after the PS4 was announced I saw a lot of people comparing PS4's development platform for indie developers to the 360, apparently just assuming that nothing will change for the next Xbox, even though it did for the Sony console.

New Xbox will share code kernel with Windows 8, so I think it's more likely that it will be more similar to that than the 360 (So stuff like paying big money to update their games will hopefully be a thing of the past).

lol nice

Karl2177

Didn't we have a rough idea of the upload limiting even before then? I seem to remember people doing rough traffic analysis because stuff didn't add up.
Just because I'm a bit curious, is the bandwidth cap a software limitation or can the network card not handle higher than 2Mb/s? I'm going to assume it's the former, but I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft went cheap on the network card.

darthbob

Just because I'm a bit curious, is the bandwidth cap a software limitation or can the network card not handle higher than 2Mb/s? I'm going to assume it's the former, but I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft went cheap on the network card.

The 360's "NIC" is a 10/100 'fast ethernet' card. Should support up/down at 100Mb/s.

So I'm guessing an XBL software limitation.

Why limit bandwidth? They're already using peer to peer which would only give them more benefits by having people with really good connections host the game. Sometimes, i dont get these guys. Probably costs them too much to allow for that, like usual. Good thing we pay for live. What amazing benefits we get.

IHaveIce

Banned
The FFA playlist is ruined because of dumb spawns, dumb weapons spawns and the incredible long time it takes to get your shield loading.

Infinity FFA is AR only most of the time :/

The 360's "NIC" is a 10/100 'fast ethernet' card. Should support up/down at 100Mb/s.

So I'm guessing an XBL software limitation.

Not to mention the Slim's Wifi allows for 802.11n, which can be even faster. It's a limit on XBL traffic as opposed to local network traffic, to which there is no limit other than hardware.

Akai__

I don't think, that the Xbox is limited to 2MB/s, because I can download games, DLC and etc very fast with my 100 Mbit/s download speed. Friend has 16 Mbit/s and I always outrun him. :p

My european host is incredible, especially in Halo 3, where I nearly reached my 50 now, but that's maybe, because I have a team, which is actually communicating and is quite good. However, the connection gets really bad, if we have to play against guys from the east coast, mexicans, columbians etc. You literally get killed through walls a handfull times.

I demand good connections with good pings for everyone! Would make a lot easier.

darthbob

Not to mention the Slim's Wifi allows for 802.11n, which can be even faster. It's a limit on XBL traffic as opposed to local network traffic, to which there is no limit other than hardware.

Well, 802.11n on 2.4GHz. If you want what I consider 'proper' n, then you need one of those black dongles for the 360.

Karl2177

I don't think, that the Xbox is limited to 2MB/s, because I can download games, DLC and etc very fast with my 100 Mbit/s download speed. Friend has 16 Mbit/s and I always outrun him.

I'm not entirely sure on this one. My friend and I did a test a few months back, where we started downloading within 15 seconds of each other. He has 40/20 Mb/s and I have 15/6 Mb/s at my apartment and we finished about 30 seconds apart.

Akai__

I'm not entirely sure on this one. My friend and I did a test a few months back, where we started downloading within 15 seconds of each other. He has 40/20 Mb/s and I have 15/6 Mb/s at my apartment and we finished about 30 seconds apart.

It was the case with the Reach Beta and some DLC in Battlefield 3 however.

When did you do the test, because I feel like Xbox Marketplace got really slow in the last days. Took me 30 minutes to download End Game for BF3 for example, while the others took me 10-15 minutes.

Edit: I'm dumb. You said a few months ago. :/

Ghazi

I wonder if the cap is even lower in background downloading, because it took my Xbox an hour to download End Game in background but only 10 minutes when I had to re-download it when it was on.

Computron

As of now I can only really do concepts, audio sfx/music (the Gravity Gauntlet is already done and has 12 sounds), and 2D animation for proof-of-concept. If you'd be willing to help I'd love to see some of this stuff transfered to 3D. I can make mockups for the Oscillator tonight as it's fairly simple geometrically, but this is offset by the reload animations and the way you wield it (which changes if you initiate the altmode).

I'd be interested in learning how to do texture work but bare minimum I can at least display the way the guns should be colored and textured and everything.

Stupid question: how difficult is it to model 3D parts that are floating or disembodied, like the Energy Sword or some of the Promethean tech?

Trivially easy.

I think its a bit disappointing that the forerunner aesthetic now has all these floating pieces.
I think the animations can't really be that expressive or intersting when your pieces are all rigid floating pieces.

If you're a student, Autodesk's entire suite is free through their education website.
Mudbox makes for an excellent 3d photshop and sculptor.

I would urge you to start with that and a few free tutorials on their website or Youtube.

Akai__

I wonder if the cap is even lower in background downloading, because it took my Xbox an hour to download End Game in background but only 10 minutes when I had to re-download it when it was on.

This is 100% the case. If you select DLC through the BF3 main menu to download it's really slow, but when you change to the dashboard it's actually faster. Don't know why, though.

Trivially easy.

I think its a bit disappointing that the forerunner aesthetic now has all these floating pieces.
I think the animations can't really be that expressive or intersting when your pieces are all rigid floating pieces.

If you're a student, Autodesk's entire suite is free through their education website.

I would urge you to start with that and a few free tutorials on their website or Youtube.

I would urge you to start with that and a few free tutorials on their website or Youtube.[/QUOTE]

I'll look into those, thanks!

Do you have any experience animating? I can do hand-drawn or keyframe for animation demos using Vegas or something but it'd be interesting to see the differences from a first-person perspective.

I think as far as actual game mechanics go I'm going to try and make the Combiner in Halo Custom Edition first since it essentially has all the functions it needs (charge shot, shotgun round and needler round) already in the game.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Hey I've got a Bioshock Infinite Steam key and a Crysis 3 Origin key if anyone wants to buy them.

Bioshock Infinite $50

Crysis 3 $45

$80 together.

HaloGAF exclusive offer.

Are you seriously fucking trying to flip stuff from the Buy Sell Trade Thread?

Get that shit out of here, dude.

Computron

^Crysis 3 will be on steam?

I'll look into those, thanks!

Do you have any experience animating? I can do hand-drawn or keyframe for animation demos using Vegas or something but it'd be interesting to see the differences from a first-person perspective.

I think as far as actual game mechanics go I'm going to try and make the Combiner in Halo Custom Edition first since it essentially has all the functions it needs (charge shot, shotgun round and needler round) already in the game.

You're gonna have a real hard time getting any of your sandbox stuff made with no programming/scripting/3d experience.

Top Bottom