• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finished my mod thingy.

Hold X to save Halo from its harsh learning curve.

Side view of your newly picked up talent.

A glimpse into the world of fixing Halo. Bullet magnetism increased 75%

Now possible to get sick air, with Hydraulics. Gives the jump height you never knew you wanted

Halo. Its just getting started.

omg

Couple of questions about H4's Spartan Ops.

First, is it worth playing? And second, can I go back and play season 1 now even though I haven't? (I have no idea how it works.)

First, is it worth playing? And second, can I go back and play season 1 now even though I haven't? (I have no idea how it works.)

At least from episode 6 onward is worth playing (though there are a couple chapters in the first half of the season that are pretty sweet), and it's all worth watching, I'd say. You can play through as long as you own Halo 4 and XBL Gold.

Recommend Heroic if going solo.

Nowise10

As a campaign guy, I felt Spartan Ops was very fulfilling. Alot of missed opportunities, and nothing really unique about most missions, but if you wanna kick back and shoot aliens, its good, specifically episodes 6-10.

And yes, you can play all the episodes at anytime. Matchmaking only does an Episode a week, though.

Verachi

Banned
I finished my mod thingy.

Hold X to save Halo from its harsh learning curve.

Side view of your newly picked up talent.

A glimpse into the world of fixing Halo. Bullet magnetism increased 75%

Now possible to get sick air, with Hydraulics. Gives the jump height you never knew you wanted

Halo. Its just getting started.
That is hilarious! I'd play that gametype.

b5e2Fyl.jpg

Dat sleepover. What would happen if they lagged out?

You have 3 options, you can play the whole lot solo, you can set up games and invite friends in to play the whole lot co op or you can matchmake, but they only have 5 episodes playable a week if you matchmake.

I have my own question about Spops actually. Was it only the cutscenes that where generated on the fly so to speak? I expected that the missions themselves had to be set up on a weekly basis but I dont really know. They made it seem like based on the actions of the previous week that the mission could change but right now im thinking that at most it was probably only enemy placement and type that they could affect and not much more. It didnt feel like episodic content at all and was more like delayed release of content.

Question about the maps:

How does Harvest play? Monolith? Landfall?

Those are the only maps I'm interested in that I don't have. Skyline seemed nice at first, but it just screams Boltshot + Camo. I've heard mixed things about Shatter, but I thought it looked kinda cool

wTuS9ot.jpg

Launch maps? Powerhouse, Zealot, Reflection, and despite being a poorly forged variant, Aslyum vs. Haven and uh...

Other than Space, Zealot was probably the best map in Reach.

Other than Space, Zealot was probably the best map in Reach.

That's not really saying much though.

In other news my astro xbox controller cable has finally broken for good. Hopefully I can source another one otherwise I think using a farrite core along with a standard 2.5mm cable does the trick.

So CSR is nice and all, but people still don't know what it is. The Halo 4 ad on the Dashboard says to enlist in the CSR challenge, but when you follow it you don't see any further mention of CSR, nor an explanation for what the acronym means. I think this was mentioned a few pages back too. :/

Omni

I always hated Zealot. So boring to look at... and even to play on. I don't find running in circles all match exciting.

Havok

Question about the maps:

How does Harvest play? Monolith? Landfall?

Those are the only maps I'm interested in that I don't have. Skyline seemed nice at first, but it just screams Boltshot + Camo. I've heard mixed things about Shatter, but I thought it looked kinda cool
Some people like Harvest, but I think it's pretty mediocre overall. A team can get control of top glass and immediately ping players that spawn out in what was described by Kynan as the "ring of death" and it's very hard to break out of that (if it's named the ring of death, why do people spawn out there?). It's a map that I look at as an example of something that could be great in a different game. Vehicle play isn't really viable in Halo 4, so nobody uses the Warthogs as a result and the map suffers for it since the infantry routes get really clogged up. Put it in Halo 2, 3, or Reach even with its vehicle health system, and it'd probably play a lot better as a result.

Monolith and Landfall are solid, my two favorites from that map pack (I thought Skyline would take that spot, but it has horrendous spawn problems since it's so small - it's reminiscent of something like Midship but it doesn't have any of the relatively safe spawn areas that map had). Landfall is probably the best asymmetric map in the game, and works pretty well for King and Slayer.

Shatter's reception was mixed, but it's easily the best map from Crimson, and might be the best big team map in the game since it actually supports symmetric objectives, even if they're not in matchmaking currently (the Crimson DLC playlist had Shatter Flag in it, and it was a lot of fun). I think it'd be better if it didn't have Mantises and had Warthogs there to replace them (maybe with a neutral Mantis bottom middle or something if they really want to keep it in), but it's still decent.

Some people like Harvest, but I think it's pretty mediocre overall. A team can get control of top glass and immediately ping players that spawn out in what was described by Kynan as the "ring of death" and it's very hard to break out of that (if it's named the ring of death, why do people spawn out there?). It's a map that I look at as an example of something that could be great in a different game. Vehicle play isn't really viable in Halo 4, so nobody uses the Warthogs as a result and the map suffers for it since the infantry routes get really clogged up. Put it in Halo 2, 3, or Reach even with its vehicle health system, and it'd probably play a lot better as a result.

Monolith and Landfall are solid, my two favorites from that map pack (I thought Skyline would take that spot, but it has horrendous spawn problems since it's so small - it's reminiscent of something like Midship but it doesn't have any of the relatively safe spawn areas that map had). Landfall is probably the best asymmetric map in the game, and works pretty well for King and Slayer.

Shatter's reception was mixed, but it's easily the best map from Crimson, and might be the best big team map in the game since it actually supports symmetric objectives, even if they're not in matchmaking currently (the Crimson DLC playlist had Shatter Flag in it, and it was a lot of fun). I think it'd be better if it didn't have Mantises and had Warthogs there to replace them (maybe with a neutral Mantis bottom middle or something if they really want to keep it in), but it's still decent.

Thanks for that. It looks like most of my assumptions were true. It's a shame Harvest has that issue. I think it looks pretty cool but I noticed right away that there would be spawning problems. It'd be nice to play them in customs but I don't think I'd buy them for Matchmaking.

I really wish they'd just take the Mantis out of matchmaking. I don't think it belongs on maps like Shatter or Ragnarok, much less the Halo sandbox itself for that matter.

I always hated Zealot. So boring to look at... and even to play on. I don't find running in circles all match exciting.

You're not supposed to run around in cricles?

Omni

You're not supposed to run around in cricles?
The map is pretty much just a big circle, if I remember correctly. Most of the action happened around the outer ring... which is boring.

Been a while since I played on it so I could be wrong, but I can definitely remember being bored on it.

The map is pretty much just a big circle, if I remember correctly. Most of the action happened around the outer ring... which is boring.

Been a while since I played on it so I could be wrong, but I can definitely remember being bored on it.

Having a solid team and holding key areas shitting on people on zealot is one of my favorite halo reach memories

I didn't mind it in Objective for quick games, but most people make the mistake of running the perimeter in Slayer. It could have had a better design but it wasn't bad for what it was.

It's odd though how Slayer maps and Slayer in general has gone downhill over the years. I used to enjoy just jumping into a game and getting a dozen or so kills, but now Slayer is just boring. Maybe it's because the maps don't encourage people to move. Maybe it's because slaying isn't enough of an incentive. Whatever the case, I find it bothersome how much it is emphasized, especially considering that it is still being offered as the only Halo 4 Big Team experience 6 months down the road. Is it wrong of me to want to play something else other than infinity slayer? What happened to good ol' Big Team CTF? Where is 1-flag? Where are Assault and Territories? For such a huge focus on BTB, it's still lacking, and saturating it with new maps isn't going to cover that up.

Alright, so I just played some Reach because my friend never buys new games, and I have to say, after playing a few matches, I realized that Reach still sucks as much as I remembered. Halo 4 isn't what I wanted but I still have more fun playing that than Reach where I feel like I want to rage quit every five minutes.

I dunno if it's because I was on a different TV this past week or because it'd been 6 months, but when I returned to Reach for some Anniversary games I had so much fun. Maybe it's the lack of rifles everywhere. Maybe it's the nicer HUD, tamer announcer, and better maps. Whatever it is, I'm glad I'm still able to play something with my anniversary disc. Even Firefight on Installation 4 has been a blast, especially fighting the Covenant in full force and seeing my awesome Spartan in action again. I've always liked how the graphics looked too.

Reach's issues haven't gone anywhere at all, but I've been unusually appreciative of what it did do right recently. One example I keep bringing up is the armory.

I really wish Bungie hadn't dropped the ball multiplayer wise. Everything else was already in place to make it the best Halo game since CE.

I completely forgot about the limited jump height in Reach and I don't know why, but I seem to hate that more than most. I can't stand it and it was game breaking for me. That tackled on everything else, I couldn't play more than three games.

Alright, so I just played some Reach because my friend never buys new games, and I have to say, after playing a few matches, I realized that Reach still sucks as much as I remembered. Halo 4 isn't what I wanted but I still have more fun playing that than Reach where I feel like I want to rage quit every five minutes.

I dunno if it's because I was on a different TV this passed week or because it'd been 6 months, but when I returned to Reach for some Anniversary games I had so much fun. Maybe it's the lack of rifles everywhere. Maybe it's the nicer HUD, tamer announcer, and better maps. Whatever it is, I'm glad I'm still able to play something with my anniversary disc. Even Firefight on Installation 4 has been a blast, especially fighting the Covenant in full force and seeing my awesome Spartan in action again. I've always liked how the graphics looked too.

Reach's issues haven't gone anywhere at all, but I've been unusually appreciative of what it did do right recently. One example I keep bringing up is the armory.

I really wish Bungie hadn't dropped the ball multiplayer wise. Everything else was already in place to make it the best Halo.

IHaveIce

Banned
Ok please stop talking about reach garbage and tell me what happened with Walshy yesterday on stream afainst RythmX and why Gandhi and Quinn have some weird tweets with each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom