• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If 343 doesn't remove armory abilities with the next halo installment, I will honestly lose all my faith in the series.

I think the chance of Halo actually going back to its roots is slim at best. What's more likely is that they'll just give us more custom options so we can play in one corner of the game without them.

Woah, more mp content maybe?

No way Microsoft doesn't have anything planned for Halo this year. I'm hoping for another expansion like ODST.

Did it work for Halo 3? Absolutely, I think it did. It encouraged map movement, map control, and keeping an eye on when that power up would respawn. Now since Halo Reach, the wheel has steadily been reinvented. Armor Abilities are a staple now. There is a new generation of gamers that 343 is catering to, how would they feel if armor abilities are "removed" from the next Halo installment?

Just make everything a pickup and stop with spawning with x shit and it will improve the game dramatically, even with AA's. As long as we start on an even playing field, it's hard to go wrong.

Spawnling

If 343 doesn't remove armory abilities with the next halo installment, I will honestly lose all my faith in the series.

Looking at the path Halo has already taken, this won't happen. They have morphed the staple of Halo into something that wasn't in the original series. As much as it is to say this: Halo 3 started with the transition. "Lets have pickups on the map that give players a special ability" in addition to the OS and Camo already placed.

Did it work for Halo 3? Absolutely, I think it did. It encouraged map movement, map control, and keeping an eye on when that power up would respawn. Now since Halo Reach, the wheel has steadily been reinvented. Armor Abilities are a staple now. There is a new generation of gamers that 343 is catering to, how would they feel if armor abilities are "removed" from the next Halo installment?

NO JETPACK?!? WHY!?!?

Players are already accustomed to these things and "taking them for granted". If they were to be removed, you're already turning off another fanbase of Halo 5 that used them in wacky custom games. "I NEED ARMOR ABILITIES FOR THIS TO WORK 343!?! I HATE YOU!" Why is BTB Infinity Slayer and Infinity Slayer the two most popular playlists at any given time? Those of us that want these things removed, we're in the minority.

• When we were playing Halo 3 players said "if they remove ranks, I will lose faith in the Halo series"
  • When we were playing Halo Reach players said "if they add more unnecessary perks/loadouts, I will lose faith in the Halo series"
  • Now we're playing Halo 4 and saying "if they DON'T remove Armor Abilities, I will lose faith in the Halo series"

It's a steady progression snowball effect. I don't see "classic" Halo (like we know Halo CE/2) ever returning to vanilla gameplay.

No way Microsoft doesn't have anything planned for Halo this year. I'm hoping for another expansion like ODST.

Covie Campaign mebbe?

Just make everything a pickup and stop with spawning with x shit and it will improve the game dramatically, even with AA's. As long as we start on an even playing field, it's hard to go wrong.

Some AAs wouldn't work regardless, but this would be a decent compromise.

And as much as I love Sprint (I thought it looked cool in Reach), it doesn't belong in default multiplayer. Maps are getting too big just to accommodate for it.

Looking at the path Halo has already taken, this won't happen. They have morphed the staple of Halo into something that wasn't in the original series. As much as it is to say this: Halo 3 started with the transition. "Lets have pickups on the map that give players a special ability" in addition to the OS and Camo already placed.

NO JETPACK?!? WHY!?!?

Players are already accustomed to these things and "taking them for granted". If they were to be removed, you're already turning off another fanbase of Halo 5 that used them in wacky custom games. "I NEED ARMOR ABILITIES FOR THIS TO WORK 343!?! I HATE YOU!" Why is BTB Infinity Slayer and Infinity Slayer the two most popular playlists at any given time? Those of us that want these things removed, we're in the minority.

• When we were playing Halo 3 players said "if they remove ranks, I will lose faith in the Halo series"
  • When we were playing Halo Reach players said "if they add more unnecessary perks/loadouts, I will lose faith in the Halo series"
  • Now we're playing Halo 4 and saying "if they DON'T remove Armor Abilities, I will lose faith in the Halo series"

It's a steady progression snowball effect. I don't see "classic" Halo (like we know Halo CE/2) ever returning to vanilla gameplay.

I don't remember if it was here or on Bungie.net, but during a similar discussion we came to the conclusion that Halo doesn't need those AAs even for wacky custom games. People still made great things with less in Halo 2/Halo 3. Maybe some of them can stay, but I don't think something that ultimately harms the game should be kept, and as a forefront of the experience no less. Have I played some cool custom games that used Armor Lock? Sure I have. Did I want it to stay in the game just for those customs? Hell no.

Hopefully all the Halo 4 "armor lock" goes the same route.

Gui_PT

So quite a few days ago I got a message on XBL saying I got a free Halo Warrior Armor code for playing multiplayer during March 8-10

Is dis shie legit?

Dirtbag

No way will we ever see a return to an amor ability less Halo :(
At most we will get classic playlists in the future after this disaster.

Maybe they will find a different way of incorporating them. Perhaps have energy cell pickups on the map to fuel your abilities. So custom game settings could easily remove AA-energy on spawn and just forge the fuel cells off of the map for a classic mode.

No way will we ever see a return to an amor ability less Halo :(
At most we will get classic playlists in the future after this disaster.

Maybe they will find a different way of incorporating them. Perhaps have energy cell pickups on the map to fuel your abilities. So custom game settings could easily remove AA-energy on spawn and just forge the fuel cells off of the map for a classic mode.

Pretty cool idea, but would you have to pick up the fuel cell prior to using the AA in the first place? If it's there to function like ammo, then people will be able to die and respawn with more fuel. That could make for an interesting gametype on its own even.

But it would still mean AAs in the game as the "premier experience".

Ghazi

So I just looked up AGL "Nashville's" location on Google Maps. First of all it's not in Nashville, it's in Murfreesboro if I have the right address (which I got at THC). Secondly, because it's in Murfreesboro it's 60.6 miles from me, which is (according to Google Maps) about 1 hour 3 minutes away. meh, I think I'll save the gas.

I don't see how they won't be there for the for-seeable future.
The purists were ignored after Reach, why would they decide to listen now with their greatest sales ever Halo bs.

Fans > Figures

If they prioritize keeping fans around (the real fans and not the crowd of gamers who don't even like Halo), they'll have a loyal and prosperous community who will support them. If they want to make a game just so it'll sell well, then the community will vanish. It'll get to a point where there wont be any "purists" or even general Halo fans left to be bothered by it.

Halo fans play Halo because it's Halo. Changing that changes their reason for playing. Everything I disliked about CoD and other modern shooters has slowly crept into Halo. What's the point now? How much longer will it be before ADS rears its head?

Holy shit guys, watch this, I think a Halo with Bravo involved can't be bad after watching this video.

lmao that video is great. Bravo is awesome.

willow ve

How're the ranks?

Haven't had time to get on as of late.
Team ranks are great, individual stress selfish rush play (ie getting a kill from the grave counts more than a kill while staying alive).

They do seem to have brought gamers back and I have seen more mic users in game than any time in Reach or 4.

Essentially I like them, but the individual scoring in team games should be tweaked.

The worst thing about halo 4 is that it has great and fun shooting mechanics that remind me a bit of halo 2. A more modern halo 2. But the armor abilities, maps, guns, all fucking stupid. Why are ordnance drops a thing? Map control completely obliterated in public games because you simply dont know what kinda luck your enemies ran into.

If halo 4 was stripped down from ordnance drops and armor abilities, I swear it would be the most impressive halo by far. Sprint was in the RIGHT direction, but of course there are 20 bad things to off set the one good thing 343 did.

Halo 4 is a beautiful and great game, if you delete multiplayer public games from the mess. Also, this may not be 343's fault, but it's also a part of the problem, NO ONE USES MICS ANYMORE. I haven't met any cool people while playing halo 4, because no one uses the mics. It's sad as shit. Its a shame. I wish that 343 doesn't play it safe with halo 5, straight up delete armor abilities and watch the halo pro scene explode once again.

Defect

Sprint is stupid and shouldn't be in Halo. Give us small maps and faster movement speed then there would be no problem.

Don't give me that bs "but spatins shud be Abel to ran fast". If Gordon Freeman can Sprint without losing the ability to shoot then so should Spartans.

Fuchsdh

Backwash n Abandon are both forest maps.

But Backwash is the only map that really approaches some kind of forest pathing. Not saying it would work well for multiplayer, but consider the campaign environments--usually they're open spaces just dotted with trees. "Infinity" sticks you in the middle of a pretty tube you can't really get out of. Would love a little more openness to my campaign spaces.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm going to play some other stuff today (Halo 4 keeps pushing out my backlog) but I'll be up for some Halo around 3/4pm CST if anyone wants to play. I think I've had more fun this weekend playing Halo 4 than I have since launch. Playing with (mostly) competent people really makes the game more fun.

IHaveIce

Banned
But noway Sudds have a chance against Ambush on Dispatch. If they have .. holy crap.

I would cry and laugh both at the same time

I don't mind AAs in campaign that much but they absolutely ruined any sense of exploration. Go play Shutdown and hop out of the Pelican - you can use your Jetpack to reset the fall timer indefinitely. The 343 team was aware of this and built around it, meaning there's no potential for leaps of faith or corner riding for miles like there was in Halo 2. Even Halo 3 had a bunch of drops that required a coordinated effort to perform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom