• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghazi

eTNZbrU.jpg

lol

Yes, God-Tier for larger games, but the U shape is kinda frowned upon for 4v4 AFAIK.

Team Slayer, FFA, CTF, Snipers, and Doubles are my target audiences.

ORBITAL ;)

Well I'd say Sanc is pretty damn solid. Battle Creek, sure. Kinda small for sniping, but I've seen some crazy stuff happen. I like Narrows CTF, too. Really I'm more of a BTB CTF fan than anything, but 4v4 can be pretty fun (though I do prefer the asym gametypes on maps like Zanzi, Terminal, etc).

The Pit and Middy are pretty God-tier, though. Can't really deny that.

Well I'd say Sanc is pretty damn solid. Battle Creek, sure. Kinda small for sniping, but I've seen some crazy stuff happen. I like Narrows CTF, too. Really I'm more of a BTB CTF fan than anything, but 4v4 can be pretty fun (though I do prefer the asym gametypes on maps like Zanzi, Terminal, etc).

The Pit and Middy are pretty God-tier, though. Can't really deny that.

Battle/Beaver Creek is definitely in my mind, but a map that size would be impossible in Halo 4 with Sprint. Not to mention CTF is 5v5, which makes it lose even more space.

I'm also studying Sanctuary, but it still has that open-air 2-level Arena feel to it. That's good and all, but a bit generic at the same time.

It's odd - now that I'm looking back on the maps, it seems like there are less of them. Well, less of what I'm looking for at least.

It seems that right now is not my best time to be thinking out of the box.

Longshore would fit right into Halo 4, but I doubt many people remember CTF on it. I know I don't.

Now that I think about it, there aren't that many, really. Collossus (interesting due to the bridge for CTF), Standoff for it's "core path" and large vehicle ring surrounding it, more obviously shown in Rat's Nest.

Isolation was interesting because the two bases were beside each other with open view, but you had to go aaaaaaaalll the way around to get to them.
500px-IsolationMap.jpeg

Powerhouse had interesting 1flag in the beta, and reminded me of High Ground (seriously, where's the asym gametypes? there's 9 trillion asym maps in Halo 4).

I've always found Uplift from Halo 2 vista interesting as well. Seems some people had that idea in Reach:
And don't forget the default Sandbox variant which had some pretty crazy CTF games.

Longshore would fit right into Halo 4, but I doubt many people remember CTF on it. I know I don't.

Now that I think about it, there aren't that many, really. Collossus (interesting due to the bridge for CTF), Standoff for it's "core path" and large vehicle ring surrounding it, more obviously shown in Rat's Nest.

Isolation was interesting because the two bases were beside each other with open view, but you had to go aaaaaaaalll the way around to get to them.

Powerhouse had interesting 1flag in the beta, and reminded me of High Ground (seriously, where's the asym gametypes? there's 9 trillion asym maps in Halo 4).

I've always found Uplift from Halo 2 vista interesting as well. Seems some people had that idea in Reach:

And don't forget the default Sandbox variant which had some pretty crazy CTF games.

Longshore was okay in flag. I never really had too many games on it to write home about, but I loved the bridge dynamic. I really enjoyed Standoff CTF and Assault, and Rat's Nest was nice for CTF too when it wasn't lagging. I don't hear much about Colossus these days...

I guess I should take another spin on some custom edition maps.

IHaveIce

Banned
Anyone watching Gandhi?

UMG Tournaments just joined the call and wants to do Halo tournaments.

They did some CoD tournies.

Crazy stuff happening right now

Ghazi

Holy shit, Gandhi's setting up a new tournament with UMG. WTF?

Anyone watching Gandhi?

This is definitely some ridiculously crazy stuff.

Thats awesome, Halo needs more tournaments, more hitting high numbers on Twitch. Since CSR and the new maps (not sure which one did it) but the numbers are solid 40K's now instead of drooping into the 30s.

I think people are just waiting for a reason to pop their Halo in, we already know they have the game...

When you see an awesome tournament you get tempted to pop that game in and play.

$20 says everyone at AGL is shitting their pants right now, AGL_Tyler and Billy from AGL are supposedly watching it so they must know.

Thats awesome, Halo needs more tournaments, more hitting high numbers on Twitch. Since CSR and the new maps (not sure which one did it) but the numbers are solid 40K's now instead of drooping into the 30s.

I think people are just waiting for a reason to pop their Halo in, we already know they have the game...

When you see an awesome tournament you get tempted to pop that game in and play. When pros stream more amateurs are likely to hop on and attempt to be pro, when more amateurs play more kids like Tashi play, and when Tashi plays casuals hop on and beat him in MM. Trickle down Halonomics.

$20 says everyone at AGL is shitting their pants right now, AGL_Tyler and Billy from AGL are supposedly watching it so they must know.

I actually dont remember but I think UMG was the CoD tournament awhile ago that hit like 18K viewers or something during the finals. Not sure if I have the right tourny in mind.

Fotos

Anyone watching Gandhi?

Holy shit.

CSR, AGL Nashville, population on the rise, and UMG news? Is Halo back yet?

Longshore was the most underrated map in Halo 3. Sad that it came out in the last map pack and not many experienced it.

This came up on Steam when I tried to play CS:GO. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=134805014&searchtext=longshore

Downloaded it and it's pretty sick.

FyreWulff

Good (UMG news), we need actual competition in the 'pro' space and not handing the keys to the pro game over a single person at a single company.

The results of Virgin Gaming outbidding MLG is only resulting in positives for the competitive community.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Seriously fuck the Boltshot and fuck camo. "I'm going to play the whole game hiding in the middle structure in Wreckage because I'm awesome!"

Fuck that guy.

RoKKeR

Random interjection - all of the best tracks on Vol. 2 of the OST are by Kazuma Jinnouchi. He's not afraid to use 16th notes and 6th tuplets, unlike Neil it seems.

That is all.

Seriously fuck the Boltshot and fuck camo. "I'm going to play the whole game hiding in the middle structure in Wreckage because I'm awesome!"

Fuck that guy.

lol spawning with Camo
outside of Elites in Invasion where it makes sense

Random interjection - all of the best tracks on Vol. 2 of the OST are by Kazuma Jinnouchi. He's not afraid to use 16th notes and 6th tuplets, unlike Neil it seems.

That is all.

Needs more 6/8 and 7/8's.

What just happened in gandhi's stream? I caught the last seconds where they were like "holy shit we're still on" and people freaking out in chat

Look above, UMG will try to get a Halo tourney running in June, and maybe afterwards a coop joint session with AGL for a "fps fest" (Halo/CoD tourney)

UMG tweeted Gandhi and Saucey, they added 2 UMG guys to the skype call, they said they want to do it and need help from experts and community.

They will get the help, we will get more tourneys.

wooohoo!

IHaveIce

Banned
What just happened in gandhi's stream? I caught the last seconds where they were like "holy shit we're still on" and people freaking out in chat

Look above, UMG will try to get a Halo tourney running in June, and maybe afterwards a coop joint session with AGL for a "fps fest" (Halo/CoD tourney)

UMG tweeted Gandhi and Saucey, they added 2 UMG guys to the skype call, they said they want to do it and need help from experts and community.

They will get the help, we will get more tourneys.

There is fyrewulfs obligatory anti-mlg post everytime it comes up.

"But they got a playlist and the comunity cartographers didnt wahhh"

Get over it.

willow ve

Individual CSR is so broken. Guy goes 10-5-23 on the losing team... still ranks up. CSR based on points doesn't make any sense.

With this system letting your teammate die before you pop out for the last shot is the smart thing to do...

They pretty much just finished up a 2 hour call. Essentially I think they forgot they were live for the most part. But Brian and I think it was Jeff or Steve (organisers of UMG events) that committed to a Halo tournament in St Louis in JUNE, they’re organising hotels and getting all the team graphics from the Halo community/teams.

UMG don’t want to “crush AGL” and know Brad behind AGL and have exchanged streaming/event equipment between AGL & UMG Gaming previously. They are also open to doing an "FPS-FEST" tournament where COD & Halo are side by side, which would be a different event to the Halo JUNE one. The Halo JUNE one would most likely be a stand alone event or a dual stream with the COD one but they won't be together at the same time as such and the games won't be a the same time.

The main comment from Jeff at the end was “Halo isn’t Dad”…e.g. Halo isn’t Dead. The UMG guys stressed that the Halo and COD community should not turn this into a who's better war, simply enjoy FPS console as a whole genre and we should work together. The pros such as Gandhi & Saucey equally commented and mentioned a lot of pros follower each other via Twitter etc. The extended community would do well to shape up now and respect thy frenemy.

That’s basically the gist of it all, so perhaps contact GandhiMLG or Saucey or UMG or bs Angel and get some things rolling. Increased competition, events and all that around Halo 4 is great and can only better serve the competitive scene leading up to Halo 5.

I say well done guys and I PM'd bs Angel for her to tune in so Gandhi or whomever should get in contact with her too. I'm sure you have your own avenues far better than mine but I'm just trying to help out here.

Apparently Bravo was watching it, he was posting in the chat right before they went off the air.

I'm not allowed to talk about or confirm such 343i things I see or hear but there were some 343i eyes on this yes. They're super keen to support many segments of the Halo communities, especially events and tournaments around Halo 4/5. Of course Andy would be a far better avenue than my simple posts but I just wanted to express all the parts are watching/communicating here. I guess it's that transparency we've all been calling for.

Interesting. I don't see Halo 4 ever becoming big in terms of competitiveness, no matter what 343 does. Too many have already lost interest, though this is an opportunity to get a head start for Halo 5. 343 does need to support them significantly more at the launch of Halo 5 though or we'll be back at square one again. It's embarrassing how such a small skill gap game like CoD has more competitive features than Halo. Spectator mode and initial support at launch can do wonders for this series.

This type of support is satisfying to see and I can't wait to see what it leads to.

Competitive support doesnt really change the fact that Cod is the FPS king right now.

I mean sure it wouldve helped to have those features. But Halo aint doing CoD numbers anymore. This isnt 2005.

I don't mean to go on but while I'm here...my thoughts on Halo 4 tournies.

Overall I would watch again, thoroughly enjoyed it and I'll certainly tune in next time. I'm really getting into the LAN to pro tournament progression right in front of us. AGL is really coming a long way but some polish is needed all around.

The stream quality, audio quality, commentating and Astro listen in are all very solid where I just think they need some live blogging or real time statistics as part of the feed, always on basically. Spectators also need somewhere to go to see all the scores, settings, playlist for a match up etc. The AGL website would do well to support this in real time and with multiple browser tabs, devices or monitors this could easily double their viewing within the same audience.

Producing that sort of content depth and polishing up the live stream online editing, graphics, segues and perhaps bringing some quick interviews pre/post game to the streams would all be positives. I give them plenty of kudos and see them making leaps and bounds with each event, great work and thanks to the sponsors too.

Perhaps they could do some quick post game chat/Q&A with the coaches/players too, maybe bring in a losing bracket coach/player for some inside comments during a finals game etc?

Other TV-style features I'd recommend are instant replay for the live stream or a post game highlights reel/video post game/series would do well too. You could even provide some of these tight interviews or replays during the parts in between games or matches setting up. You could also do team Q&A on the AGL website prior/post the events. Further you could even have teams available at certain times to answer questions in a live chat or forums post/reply. Fans love interacting with the pros, web has many advantages over traditional TV based sports, use them.

I'd also like to see more complexity in the streams, use Twitch or AGL website to provide an interactive stream system e.g. 4 players from the same team in a quad feed box and you can simply click to then view one stream full screen at a time. You could also provide the "event directors" feed so they do the editing. You could also provide a dual compare, one stream from read and one stream from blue. After all we have a guerrilla style stream system that is interactive and web based, this should be exploited for its feature advantages.

These are just some ideas anyhow, more spectator features than just the commentators or gameplay alone. You have this big event and should extract as much content from it as possible. Rather than a one weekend show you could literally turn it into weeks worth of content such as Q&A web articles, photo galleries, Video On Demand etc. After all it's all about butts in seats and if you can get the existing audience to view twitch and the AGL website in the same browser session you've doubled your advertising streams and views, sponsors like that sort of thing and fans love the added features. When you expand with content over say two weeks, one prior the event and one after the event, as I describe you also create a sustain marketing and content schedule that both fans and sponsors both enjoy the benefits of.

Competitive support doesnt really change the fact that Cod is the FPS king right now.

I mean sure it wouldve helped to have those features. But Halo aint doing CoD numbers anymore. This isnt 2005.

CoD is just filling in. Only in the last year have they been considered king yet the "new era" of CoD has been around since 2007. There is no "king" of competitive FPS currently. I guarantee you that if a new true competitive FPS (and IP) comes into the picture, CoD will quickly lose interest.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Question about maps:

Which maps in each game were the best CTF/Sniper maps?
Sidewinder (CE)
Infinity (PC) (The Halo PC maps need to be remade eventually)
Zanzibar (2)
Not really sure about the Vista maps
Sandtrap (3) (Elephants!)
Spire (Reach) (Mostly because of the lulz that can be had)
Ragnarok (4)

I've always been more of a BTB guy.

IHaveIce

Banned
I'm not allowed to talk about or confirm such 343i things I see or hear but there were some 343i eyes on this yes. They're super keen to support many segments of the Halo communities, especially events and tournaments around Halo 4/5. Of course Andy would be a far better avenue than my simple posts but I just wanted to express all the parts are watching/communicating here. I guess it's that transparency we've all been calling for.
What? How should we understand this? Did I miss anything? Did you get hired?

First of all, nobody really expects(who is right in his mind) Halo to beat CoD's numbers, second CoD as a whole maybe, but even the CoD userbase is split onto so many games that no game on its own has an incredible population like it once had.

Next gen could be really exciting with new big shooter IPs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom