• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sidewinder (CE)
Infinity (PC) (The Halo PC maps need to be remade eventually)
Zanzibar (2)
Not really sure about the Vista maps
Sandtrap (3) (Elephants!)
Spire (Reach) (Mostly because of the lulz that can be had)
Ragnarok (4)

I've always been more of a BTB guy.

I love BTB, but there's already too many of that in H4 so I've been thinking on a smaller scale.

CoD is just filling in. Only in the last year have they been considered king yet the "new era" of CoD has been around since 2007. There is no "king" of competitive FPS currently. I guarantee you that if a new true competitive FPS (and IP) comes into the picture, CoD will quickly lose interest.

I agree. But I guess Im talking more about the overall king.

Right now It is and has been Cod, cant see Halo taking over again.

Back when, me and my friends would jump on Halo 2 in the evenings, shoot the shit over the mic and just chill out for a few matches.

Now all my friends moved to cod. Cant see that "go to game" mentality moving back to Halo after Cod.

I think Halo 5 needs to have ranking system and spectator mode right off the start to keep the competitive community interested. Too many people lost interest with every day and week that went by without a word on the ranking and no tournaments to look forward to.

They may never hit CoD numbers but there are certainly people who will come back if the stuff is there. 400k played the first two days...They just didnt want to stay.

What? How should we understand this? Did I miss anything? Did you get hired?

Not at all, you would have seen my posts about becoming a superintendent moderator and with that comes a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA), so any emails I send/receive or other information to do with Halo, Waypoint or 343i goes under that agreement.

Suffice to say I emailed some 343i staff (an avenue we moderators have) when I was watching the GandhiMLG stream (great character stream by the way) and that's what my "not allowed..." comments cover. Nothing special about me, just getting involved ;)

I think Halo 5 needs to have ranking system and spectator mode right off the start to keep the competitive community interested. Too many people lost interest with every day and week that went by without a word on the ranking and no tournaments to look forward to.

They may never hit CoD numbers but there are certainly people who will come back if the stuff is there. 400k played the first two days...They just didnt want to stay.

They need more than that, imagine the next gen iteration of BLOPSII features. I recommend tournaments, ranks, spectating, streaming, prizes, sponsors, default & hardcore events, external community integration/sharing etc ALL RIGHT IN GAME. If they package, execute and market that right it's worth gold. In game advertising is acceptable in that space.

It's not only that. Halo 5 needs to be finished when it launches. Things like file share being absent split the community apart. The competitive players aren't the only ones who were left out.

Yeah but they didnt just say "No ranks? No spectator mode?" then bail. It was everything that ran them all out.

Halo needs a complete overhaul before ranks and spectator mode should be looked at.

Whats the point in having that shit with a bad base game underneath?

Cut loadouts, infinity, ordnance, flinch, instant respawn and go from there.

It's not only that. Halo 5 needs to be finished when it launches. Things like file share being absent split the community apart. The competitive players aren't the only ones who were left out.

Oh yea I also meant that too. Finding the answer to where did all those people go and correcting that is probably a very important thing. Dropoff is expected but I dont think that much and that quickly, maybe I'm wrong.

Oh yea I also meant that too. Finding the answer to where did all those people go and correcting that is probably a very important thing. Dropoff is expected but I dont think that much and that quickly, maybe I'm wrong.

I don't think you need to be a Halo player nor a gaming expert to notice why the population was affected and what affected it. Things that keep people playing - myself included - were not there. Whether you like the game at that point or not becomes irrelevant. If there's nothing to keep your attention, it'll be replaced with another game. Some people sold it. Some people put it on their shelves. The people who continued to play have decreased - even as the features were added - until recently. And by recently, that means this weekend when File Share finally came in and CSR was introduced along with this tournament going on.

Imagine we got a Beta last year, and all these complaints we made so far were made before the game launched.

Shit coulda been fixed.

Halo 5 beta invitation to be packaged with Crackdown part 3

Not that it wouldn't have been a good idea, but the Beta really didn't do much for Reach IMO. Some things were buffed and nerfed and other things were fixed or changed, but the game still launched in what is commonly regarded as a disaster. I'd even argue some things in the beta were better, like the Repeater, Plasma Launcher, Focus Rifle, and Elite speed.

Things like the Boltshot and DMR could have received nerfs, but it ultimately comes down to what is being prioritized. I feel like the majority of Halo's issues over the last few years stemmed from the developers focusing too much attention on something they ought not have. As Forgers like to say, you're spending too much time on that one aesthetic structure and forgetting to make sure there are no holes and the spawns work.

You can't decorate a cake if there's no bread to put the toppings on.

They also seem to LOVE Settler....

Forge Maps using that area of Ravine will forever be cursed, haunted by the all too familiar paths of Settler.

Imagine we got a Beta last year, and all these complaints we made so far were made before the game launched.

Shit coulda been fixed.

Halo 5 beta invitation to be packaged with Crackdown part 3

I have the maps deleted so I only have to play Powerhouse Zealot Boardwalk Countdown. Really wish I could scratch my disc so Forge World doesnt load though, and Reflection, Reflection aint no good.

JackHerer

What are the three most important things that need to be changed/implemented/or restored to Halo with the next game? I know there are many things that people want but if you had to pick only 3 what do you think would be the most beneficial to gameplay overall?

I'd say:

1. Remove Flinch and bring back descoping
2. Get rid of random weapon spawns and bring back the OG timed spawns. Leave an indicator on it for the newer players if necessary.
3. Make camo a power-up again. Not an AA. That idea has failed miserably.

Edit: I mean out gameplay only. Not ranks, spectator mode, Forge, etc. Not that those things aren't important.

FyreWulff

I'm not really a fan of MLG (chairs nvr4get), but what positive impacts has it had on the competitive community?

People realized they didn't need the blessing of an arbitrary company to run Halo tournaments.

And now the competitive angled playlist updates aren't tied to someone's tournament ticket sales advertising season.

Competitive players get their tournaments, matchmaking competitive players have a playlist that actually updates. Both sides win. Oh, and the gametypes are actually developed now instead of a single solitary person issuing edicts on what's competitive or not. Developed and evolved settings are always going to be better than ones that come from a single person.

What are the three most important things that need to be changed/implemented/or restored to Halo with the next game?

1. EQUAL PLAYING FIELD. Even with all this AA nonsense, if they were pick ups, the MP will improve dramatically. This is the most important feature Halo is currently missing.

2. Maps. We need two types of maps, arena and large maps. Nothing in between. Large maps have wide open areas and all but a few arena maps are symmetrical.

3. Omit the DMR. If it's nerfed, it becomes too similar to the BR. With the BR, we don't need it. It should have never been in Halo 4 ever since the BR was decided to be in the game.

Fotos

This dude in Rumble Pit just raged so insanely hard every time I killed him. His GT had "Rages" in it. I am ok with this.

I heard Goofy and the girl in your avatar went out to dinner last night after the winners finals. Is this true?

Man, Reach is so good to go back to. I nearly forgot what it was like to have options.
Some things I miss. But even just watching the bloom on the DMR makes me cringe.

What are the three most important things that need to be changed/implemented/or restored to Halo with the next game? I know there are many things that people want but if you had to pick only 3 what do you think would be the most beneficial to gameplay overall?

I'd say:

1. Remove Flinch and bring back descoping
2. Get rid of random weapon spawns and bring back the OG timed spawns. Leave an indicator on it for the newer players if necessary.
3. Make camo a power-up again. Not an AA. That idea has failed miserably.

Edit: I mean out gameplay only. Not ranks, spectator mode, Forge, etc. Not that those things aren't important.

Yeah I think these are my top three requests too. I'd also like to see personal ordnance go, that is unless it's like throwdown where that's how you get your AA. Then I'd be fine with it.

3. Omit the DMR. If it's nerfed, it becomes too similar to the BR. With the BR, we don't need it. It should have never been in Halo 4 ever since the BR was decided to be in the game.

Can I give a suggestion? make the future DMR behave like the Halo 1 pistol (3 shot kill, possibly a slower rate of fire), but make it a pick up/power weapon.

*Edit because someone misinturpreted what i meant* Pretty much give us the h1 pistol, make it look like a DMR, and make it a pick up weapon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom