• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwm0nkey

Ok so I tried downsampling Halo 2 PC using the DSfix and something actually worked, what you are seeing in the top left is the normal 1280x720 resolution when the game tried to load back into the menu when I ended the game.

j0HxVs7r9K2Cg.bmp

So it looks like custom resolutions can work but I really have no idea how to get it to display in the game, only after the game ends.

Just got back from lunch with some Aussies. Ya'll talk funny-like, I tell you whut.

Also playing Reach last night, the radar seems to be more powerful in 4 than Reach? Or is it just me? Found myself relying on it much less than when I play 4.

Halo: Reach added elevation details to the radar (whereas 2/3 didn't provide this info). Halo 4 keeps that information, makes the radar even clearer, includes weapons, vehicles, death X's, and more.

It IS more powerful in 4. More herp derp handholding basically.

He said "3DS is worthless until Sayonara Umihara Kawase is out."

I think it's worthless until there's a decent game on it that isn't a first party Nintendo game that plays like every other first party Nintendo game in its franchise, but, y'know, whatever. I'm interested in Dream Drop Distance, but that's it.
Because Kid Icarus Uprising plays just like the first 2 Kid Icarus games. Yup.

Amazing games make a platform worthless because they play like games in their respective franchises? Are you high? In this very thread we have people wishing that Halo 4 played like Halo CE or 2-3.

But no, the 3DS is worthless because a stellar title like Mario 3D Land plays like a Mario game.

Halo 3 doubles was my game. My best memories come from that playlist. Stuck at 35 I believe but whatever, it was always intense. Unless it was doubles snowbound. Ugh, better grab shotty and camp those shield doors :/

wwm0nkey

Ok so here is the weird thing going on with custom resolutions right now, whenever I look away from the light source it does this.

jVGK4AcP62F9N.bmp

Might need some help on this part because I have NO idea how to fix it but as soon as its done, Halo 2 custom resolution finally!
(It also seems to help aiming)

Also Heckfu/ Juices, I really cant believe you are putting Reach above Halo 3. Netcode I can understand but the gameplay mechanics outclass Reach any day.

Its hard to explain it, Halo 3 the framerate and input lag or something and internet lag made it all feel very surreal like I'm not playing the game I'm just watching it. Like I'm playing Halo through molasses.

I feel more in the game and agile in Reach. Like my individual skill matters more, and thats really important to me.

Also even when games are super laggy usually the game is checking to see if my hits register and with the hitscan DMR my accuracy seems to always be rewarded. Whereas in Halo 3 you can get into a completely random BR battle where because of spread/undefined leading/and XBL internet lag you can miss every shot completely unbeknownst to me the player when they actually think they are doing a good job.

I have deleted the DLC maps so the number of good maps I enjoy playing on is highest in Reach compared to any other Halo thats still played actively online.

Plus Oddball Swordbase. I had some ridiculous moments last night, out DMR's and great snipes. Hit the Tashi ceiling though.

it's a joke because i use an apple brand macbook pro which makes me better than you PLEBIANS.

Coffee = 4 dollars, iCoffee = 12 dollars. Get worked Heckfu.

heckfu

Banned
Also Heckfu/ Juices, I really cant believe you are putting Reach above Halo 3. Netcode I can understand but the gameplay mechanics outclass Reach any day.

I'm not sure how I missed this post the first time, but to answer it Reach just feels cleaner. Pre-TU I would've put 3 above reach based on bloom alone. To echo Juices, Halo 3 just feels...heavy. Clunky netcode, sloppy BR, and as much as I think sprint should be gone, it has spoiled me in Reach and H4 with the ease of map movement in bigger maps. Hitscan DMR was such a game changer for me in Reach (especially with TU bloom) because I felt if I died it was on MORE equal footing than BR fights in 3.

At least the OS I prefer is only 20 bucks to upgrade. One financial perk.

CyReN

Halo 3 > Reach

also

Gears of War: Judgement to be around 420,000 units, less than a quarter of the two million Gears of War 3 managed in September 2011.

Snoshado

Banned
Halo 3 doubles was my game. My best memories come from that playlist. Stuck at 35 I believe but whatever, it was always intense. Unless it was doubles snowbound. Ugh, better grab shotty and camp those shield doors :/

Wow seriously. I don't think we ever had fun on that map... Except maybe when we tried outsmarting those damn turrets haha.

CyReN

Lets just say the question is "Which game is better? Why?" Now answer. I think random tossouts like that are pretty dumb. I at least explained what I like about Reach.

These are just my personal.

• Launch Maps
  • DLC
  • Ranks
  • Better theater
  • Better playlist management
  • Better MLG Settings
  • Better LAN Experiences (personal for me)
  • Better Tourneys (personal for me)

Reach took a year to be good, Halo 3 was always good.

Throw me in the H3 camp.

I'll take H3's BR spread over bloom.

I'll take H3's maps over Reach's abysmal offerings.

Actual ranks over Arena.

Equipment over AA's.

H3's faster movement and jump height vs. Reach's "wheelchair Spartans."

Gametypes, playlist management, on and on.

The only thing Reach did better, IMO was in the network performance area.

wwm0nkey

Well guys I got custom resolutions working 100% and the FPS unlocker works as well so you can also play the game at 120+FPS if you really want to.

Ok now on to how to actually get this to work.

First Download the DarkSoulsFix and put it into your Halo 2 folder

Then click on DSFix in the folder, here you will see a lot of options but there are only 4 you really need to worry about.

-Set your internal rendering resolution higher if you wish but if not keep it the same as your normal desktop resolution

-Set your Display Width/Height to your normal Desktop resolution

-Under Window & Mouse Cursor Options enable Borderless Fullscreen

-Then at the very end Force Windowed mode

Feel free to mess around with any of the other settings and again if you want you can unlock the FPS in the game as well.

[MAKE SURE TO HAVE WINDOWED MODE ENABLED]

Its hard to explain it, Halo 3 the framerate and input lag or something and internet lag made it all feel very surreal like I'm not playing the game I'm just watching it. Like I'm playing Halo through molasses.

You know what... I agree with this, switching between CoD and Halo 3 was especially difficult. I dont know what happened, I must have played so much and switched between games so much I eventually got used to it. Even now though the first few games of Halo 3 I play after ages feel like shit. It takes a while to adjust and I dont totally know why that is, but once you desensitize to the weird feeling the game feels amazing.

I feel more in the game and agile in Reach. Like my individual skill matters more, and thats really important to me.

I dont agree with the fact you feel more agile in Reach, you play vanilla right? That shit felt terrible, bloom DMR and Sniper autoaim made Reach feel like it took no skill. Halo 3 felt good man, going for 50 felt like it was worth going for, out br'ing people or out sniping them felt satisfying. I cant think of a single person who bothered going for Gold or whatever in Arena, and I think that's because the gameplay sucked, not only cos the ranking system sucked.

Also even when games are super laggy usually the game is checking to see if my hits register and with the hitscan DMR my accuracy seems to always be rewarded. Whereas in Halo 3 you can get into a completely random BR battle where because of spread/undefined leading/and XBL internet lag you can miss every shot completely unbeknownst to me the player when they actually think they are doing a good job.

Yeah when lag kicks in Halo 3 feels terrible, also Shiska made matchmaking unplayable. I think the reason I loved Halo 3 so much is because I only ever played customs with people who lived no more than like an hour from me. Connection was good, gametypes where good, game was good. I would have hated playing 5v5 AR starts on Isolation or whatever Bungie thought was fun.

I have deleted the DLC maps so the number of good maps I enjoy playing on is highest in Reach compared to any other Halo thats still played actively online.

Halo 3 Pit and Guardian to me feel better than anything in Reach, especially if you dont touch Reach MLG.

Plus Oddball Swordbase. I had some ridiculous moments last night, out DMR's and great snipes. Hit the Tashi ceiling though.

I agree with Halo 3 feeling weird but once you play it enough for it to click it feels far better than Reach, but yeah right now the netcode and matchmaking options makes it hard to go back.

I answered some stuff in the quote.

Snoshado

Banned
Let's do some Halo 4 tonight! Maybe the Castle DLC? Eh? Eh?

I should be free around 6pst if anyone wants to play :D

(I can't find my Reach Disc for the life of me... ughhhhhhh)

What are these words. You have offended me somehow. I feel offended. OFFENDED.

They're all good. Halo 1 has this great mystery atmosphere, Halo 2 and 3 just feel buttery smooth, and Halo 4... Look, I dunno why I like it, but I just do.

The multiplayer still sucks, though.

Tawpgun

Honestly, I don't know if I'd put 85 Reach ahead or behind Halo 3. They're close.

But I'm giving Halo 3 the edge from my enjoyment of at AT THE TIME.

Overdoziz

Banned
Well guys I got custom resolutions working 100% and the FPS unlocker works as well so you can also play the game at 120+FPS if you really want to.

Ok now on to how to actually get this to work.

First Download the DarkSoulsFix and put it into your Halo 2 folder

Then click on DSFix in the folder, here you will see a lot of options but there are only 4 you really need to worry about.

-Set your internal rendering resolution higher if you wish but if not keep it the same as your normal desktop resolution

-Set your Display Width/Height to your normal Desktop resolution

-Under Window & Mouse Cursor Options enable Borderless Fullscreen

-Then at the very end Force Windowed mode

Feel free to mess around with any of the other settings and again if you want you can unlock the FPS in the game as well.

[MAKE SURE TO HAVE WINDOWED MODE ENABLED]
Why can't you buy this game online somewhere.

Rev3rb

Anyone know if it's possible to get the data for EXP needed to rank up your CSR per playlist?

I would add XP bars to my site if it were possible to get (just like the H2 days)

Looking at you Stinkles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom