• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're all good. Halo 1 has this great mystery atmosphere, Halo 2 and 3 just feel buttery smooth, and Halo 4... Look, I dunno why I like it, but I just do.

The multiplayer still sucks, though.

I like all the Halo campaigns

But legendary is fucking stupid and can make that change in an instant.

I'm not saying Halo 3 is bad either, I just think Reach hasnt seemed to age at all. I can go back and have fun all night like I used to and I want to do that. I'll be on tonight at 12PM EST.

Nebula

That population chart would not tell the entire story (industry shifts, etc.) and you can't skip over the successful sales Halo 4 had, whether you attribute that to name alone or not. The population decline is worrying, but as mentioned before, you have to wonder if other outside influences are affecting that drop too, not just gameplay changes. During Halo 2, and even Halo 3 there were far less options for big multiplayer shooters, especially on console.

It is entirely possible the dip is a direct effect from the gameplay changes, but you absolutely cannot rule out any talk of the industry as it is now, compared to what it was a few years ago. Reach showed Halo could retain population, but was it Reach that began the decline?

Basically my point is one cannot assume that 100% of the population issues are direct result from adding sprint, or keeping AA's, you have to account for other outside influences as well.

Personally I don't think it was the Halo name. I strongly believe it was people hoping for something better than Reach. Hoping Halo would return to what it was and what we knew as Halo. Instead it got butchered further, which resulted in those who bought the game leaving. Of course outside influences will always have an effect but like you said, it's hard to tell how much of an effect that is. We can however look at the complaints and problems people have with the game and there's always a recurring theme. Newer features are causing a lot of players issues. Issues that are big enough for them to no longer play.

You're right about there being a flood of shooters available now compared to the trickle we had back then, but that raises a new question. Why are people choosing those shooters over Halo? Especially if they were once huge fans of the franchise.

I'm not saying Halo 3 is bad either, I just think Reach hasnt seemed to age at all. I can go back and have fun all night like I used to and I want to do that. I'll be on tonight at 12PM EST.

I put that down to better netcode and hitscan. I really don't like hitscan but it seems to be a necessity just to combat lag.

Halo 3 = best Campaign encounter/playspace design

Halo Reach = most polished game (UI, etc) and most beautiful environments (argument could be made for ODST)

Halo 4 = best use of lens flare, best rocks
most visceral
best cutscenes

Personally I don't think it was the Halo name. I strongly believe it was people hoping for something better than Reach. Hoping Halo would return to what it was and what we knew as Halo. Instead it got butchered further, which resulted in those who bought the game leaving. Of course outside influences will always have an effect but like you said, it's hard to tell how much of an effect that is. We can however look at the complaints and problems people have with the game and there's always a recurring theme. Newer features are causing a lot of players issues. Issues that are big enough for them to no longer play.

You're right about there being a flood of shooters available now compared to the trickle we had back then, but that raises a new question. Why are people choosing those shooters over Halo? Especially if they were once huge fans of the franchise.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=52385775&postcount=19025

wwm0nkey

Oh wow, I can now also force on AF in Halo 2 PC!

It makes the game look way better than custom resolution already did!

Comparison

Default-Custom Resolution:
halo22013-04-1617-08-cobtf.png

16xAF-Custom Resolution:

Well, aged poop is still poop, just dry.

lol

I don't know. When I play Reach, it still feels like it did when it released in 2010, which can be good or bad. But I feel like I could back completely were it not for the [mostly] outdated Forge. I prefer Forge World and the palette entirely, but the dynamic lighting and duplication stuff in Halo 4 has spoiled me.

Reach with H4's Forge and ZBNS across the board would sustain me for a long time.

Comparison

16xAF-Custom Resolution:

If you have a radeon card, RadeonPro is a great tool for this type of stuff. Force some AO, AA, AF, etc. Real nice. Not sure about an Nvidia equivalent.

Snoshado

Banned

Halo Reach = most polished game (UI, etc) and most beautiful environments (argument could be made for ODST)

Halo 4 = best use of lens flare, best rocks best cutscenes

Reach was wonderful and yes, I must agree, Halo 4 had the best cutscenes.
I may have cried at the end of Halo 4.

heckfu

Banned
Well, aged poop is still poop, just dry.

Do you remember last summer? We played EVERY NIGHT for hours on end! It was a ton of fun.

edit: actually i dont remember if you were a reg. member of those parties but I thought you were. Me, juices, kyle, etc oddballing swordbase on the REG.

damnit. if I don't get on LoL tonight I'll absolutely be on Reach.

Halo 4 = best use of lens flare, best rocks
most visceral
best cutscenes

I don't know about you guys, but Reach looked amazing.

6154051498_140a47b2b7_b.jpg

Reach-DLC-Breakpoint1_tif_jpgcopy.jpg

1024px-New_Alexandria_Header.jpg

6153916216_f822719a29_b.jpg

unleashhell.jpg

skybox.jpg

I'd honestly say it had better graphics than Halo 4.

Ramirez

Do you remember last summer? We played EVERY NIGHT for hours on end! It was a ton of fun.

edit: actually i dont remember if you were a reg. member of those parties but I thought you were. Me, juices, kyle, etc oddballing swordbase on the REG.

I played like maybe 50 games of Reach with you, you just wanted me to be a reg.

Halo 3 nights>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Reach nights.

Well guys I got custom resolutions working 100% and the FPS unlocker works as well so you can also play the game at 120+FPS if you really want to.

Ok now on to how to actually get this to work.

First Download the DarkSoulsFix and put it into your Halo 2 folder

Then click on DSFix in the folder, here you will see a lot of options but there are only 4 you really need to worry about.

-Set your internal rendering resolution higher if you wish but if not keep it the same as your normal desktop resolution

-Set your Display Width/Height to your normal Desktop resolution

-Under Window & Mouse Cursor Options enable Borderless Fullscreen

-Then at the very end Force Windowed mode

Feel free to mess around with any of the other settings and again if you want you can unlock the FPS in the game as well.

[MAKE SURE TO HAVE WINDOWED MODE ENABLED]

Comparison

16xAF-Custom Resolution:

That's pretty amazing! Good job!

On the subject of campaign:

Picture fighting a pack of Combiner Skirmishers.

Or a group of Huntshot Ranger Elites.

...or a squad of Gravity Gruntlets.

Tawpgun

The BK Cleansing Era

RIP Squad Slayer

FyreWulff

On the subject of campaign:

Picture fighting a pack of Combiner Skirmishers.

Or a group of Huntshot Ranger Elites.

...or a squad of Gravity Gruntlets.

Imagine if there was an actual squad of Heretic Elites in Reach's campaign

Would have made Jackal Snipers look like Floodgate

lol

The loss of actual skyboxes with detail was a huge one. It's yet another iconic Halo feature we saw cut.

Bungie RaN skyboxes

Might as well put these up. Flood Map Collection 01.

Also Reach skyboxes: dat technical skill

How do they get the teleporter shield door to stay green like that? And doesn't it break when you shoot it?

EDIT: I guess you aren't using the green shield as a tele?

It'd be interesting to fight some sort of faction other than the Flood that used human weapons as long as they were appropriately balanced.

Also, I humbly request that we get to fight a Grunt Chieftan in Halo 5. The sole survivor of a devastating air strike, lone Major Wahaw had his entire platoon and a nearby regimen of Prometheans killed before his eyes. His body filled with nothing but the desire for justice. Outfitting himself in sacred Forerunner armor, he wields a Flamethrower and a Gravity Hammer, hell-bent on taking the Chief's head himself.

GRUNT LUNCH SIMULATOR 2: REVENGEANCE

Ugh

• Gave first copy of CE away. Lost GoD copy with old HDD. Bought Anniversary, so that makes 3 for CE
• My old H2 disc scratched. Bought a used copy for 5 bucks.
• My first H3 disc got scratched. Sold the second one. Bought the LE last year.
• ODST copy still going strong
• First 2 Reach discs broke. Gave the 3rd GoD copy away with HDD.
• Bought an extra H4 for my brother (technically the only one I bought since I won my copy).

I have a disposable income.

I've bought every Halo at least twice except for ODST.

Why?

Ugh

• Gave first copy of CE away. Lost GoD copy with old HDD. Bought Anniversary, so that makes 3 for CE
• My old H2 disc scratched.
• My first H3 disc got scratched. Sold the second one. Bought the LE last year.
• ODST copy still going strong
• First 2 Reach discs broke. Gave the 3rd GoD copy away with HDD.
• Bought an extra H4 for my brother.

I have a disposable income.

Oh I expected a more stupid set of reasons. TBH that was reasonable, its not really as bad buying it twice if the first copy broke.

Btw there is no such thing as disposable income, save that shit and spend more of it at one time on something better than a 3rd copy of the same video game, save it for a rainy day or invest it or something.

Oh I expected a more stupid set of reasons. TBH that was reasonable, its not really as bad buying it twice if the first copy broke.

The Reach reasons are stupid.

If you personally broke the Reach disks no one would blame you.

Only the first one. My cousins broke the center ring on the second one. Apparently putting a disc in a case is too difficult.

That reminds me -

Back in the day when Smash Bros competition was fierce, my brother and I would hide the disc from each other when we got too pissed off to continue competing.

Gaming is srs business

Rebuy? Wut?

iiHpDEtzuWUUP.PNG

Did I mention I <3 Halo?

I should have been able to redownload my GoD copy, but since it was on a different account which I no longer have access to...

:(

The fuck is wrong with you people? Stop selling your shit to rebuy it.

The only one I sold to rebuy was Halo 3. Gamestop was doing a trade-in bonus for Reach and I put the Campaign disc towards my pre order. I tried to do the Mythic Disc instead but they wont take that without ODST, and there was no way I was trading that in.

The only game I ever bought more then once was timesplitters 2.

On the Xbox, GC and PS2.

I didn't own every console at the same time though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom