• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
So you post the most confusing GIF in the world.
E57Ev.gif

Ghazi

I find the method that I've noticed that Reach and 4 uses to despawn things like Phantoms hilarious where they fly away and instead of actually just completely disappearing after they fly far enough away they begin shrinking until they're nonexistent. It's so cute seeing a little babby Phantom.

Edit: the last Fifa I ever bought was Fifa 05 for the PS2 and that was so I could play it with my uncle, great game. Maybe I'll pick up Fifa 14, if only to get my ass kicked in multiplayer because the AI in 05 was weak sauce and I'm guessing it hasn't improved that much.

As long as you don't zoom in the area around Harvest is pretty nice. Edit: Picture looks a lot worse than when I took it. Oh well.
The upper back part of Haven's looks really nice and crisp without pixelation, the bottom half looks like crap even without zooming in. I've also noticed how there's this weird fog (that's not part of the skybox image) they have surround the bottom half, maybe it's for that reason they have that there.

At one point during a Spartan Ops mission, a Phantom never actually grew any bigger, so the only thing hovering in midair was the glow from the lift. Me and my coop partner shot at it for a few minutes, but the hitbox was miniscule so we never got it to blow up. They also seem to do that LOD separately for enemies that are inside it, so another time we just saw a bunch fullsized enemies flying through the air until the Phantom grew and surrounded them.
lol, it's so weird yet funny. Actually I'm guessing that the hitboxes/collision are nonexistent until the Phantom has grown to its full size, that would explain how it just clips through enemies. Unless you can't stand on them as a spartan either.

Havok

Gametypes, playlist management, on and on.
Which part? The part where Halo 3 gutted Assault into the awful instant arm variant? Or where it dropped the ability to make 3-Plots and turned Territories into a round-based-only gametype? Both of which are problems that were fixed in Reach, which had a really excellent gametype suite, all things considered. Playlist management in both was bad - H3 was when they made the decision to transition Objective to 5v5....and then cut it entirely. They practically mirrored ranked and social splitting the community. Reach wasn't any better but there is a reason that the Halo 3 thread here was always full of "lol playlist management" jokes.

As bad of a Forge map Settler is, it's still better than Exile.
You really think so? Exile's got a lot of problems, but Settler is seriously one of the worst maps in the entire series. I mean, we're talking Orbital levels of garbage here.
I find the method that I've noticed that Reach and 4 uses to despawn things like Phantoms hilarious where they fly away and instead of actually just completely disappearing after they fly far enough away they begin shrinking until they're nonexistent. It's so cute seeing a little babby Phantom.
At one point during a Spartan Ops mission, a Phantom never actually grew any bigger, so the only thing hovering in midair was the glow from the lift. Me and my coop partner shot at it for a few minutes, but the hitbox was miniscule so we never got it to blow up. They also seem to do that LOD separately for enemies that are inside it, so another time we just saw a bunch fullsized enemies flying through the air until the Phantom grew and surrounded them.

Nebula

:(

To be fair, they're not all horrible, but they aren't especially fun to look at, either. Hopefully that get's more of a priority next time (tm). I really think it matters. Not to mention the part where it all "seams" together (if you can find it) looks like a butthole. ME3 multi was the worst for this.

As long as you don't zoom in the area around Harvest is pretty nice. Edit: Picture looks a lot worse than when I took it. Oh well.

I lost my copy during a move a few years back, but someone gave this one to me for free at PAX last year. Pretty awesome. I just wish I could play it on my 3DS on virtual console, that will prompt another playthrough for me I think.

Can I get my saved Halo 2 award? Just got SSAO to work as well!

SSAO off:

Get some HDAO on that. Don't Google it.

Edit: Actually Google it. I lied.

Computron

Can I get my saved Halo 2 award? Just got SSAO to work as well!

SSAO off:

http://i.minus.com/jbuL70YlmxZhUt.bmp/IMG]

SSAO on:

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/j6udKJnOVt9HM.bmp/IMG][/QUOTE]

Are you using radeonpro? What variant of AO are you injecting? Have you got it to mask-out/interact with the weapons properly?

wwm0nkey

Are you using radeonpro? What variant of AO are you injecting? Have you got it to mask out under the weapons properly?

Im using a Nvidia card right now and I am using HBAO put using Fable: Lost Chapters AO profile.

Im honestly at this point just pushing buttons to see what works and so far a lot of stuff is.

I bought Reach on Demand for $60, in 2011. Same day the game came out in 2010. Don't know why, and I don't regret it either. Reach is amazing.

Sad it's dead as well lol, no one on my friendslist plays Halo now.

Computron

Im using a Nvidia card right now and I am using HBAO put using Fable: Lost Chapters AO profile.

Im honestly at this point just pushing buttons to see what works and so far a lot of stuff is.

I got an ATI card ATM. I got AO working in H2v a while back, however the way many FPS games will render their guns varies quite a bit (Many use tricks with separate depth buffers and cameras and composite the guns/hands to avoid environment clipping and precision errors) so I never got it to work quite right with Halo 2. The HBAO would only affect the terrain and the effect would bleed through the gun. Do you have this problem? (Should be especially noticeable through something like the rocket launcher)

Oh, and custom resolutions have been possible for a long time through some runtime hacks, thats how I get ultrawide-screen aspect ratios. AF and AA can be added/tweaked through your drivers.

wwm0nkey

I got an ATI card ATM. I got AO working in H2v a while back, however the way many FPS games will render their guns varies quite a bit (Many use tricks with separate depth buffers and cameras and composite the guns/hands to avoid environment clipping and precision errors) so I never got it to work quite right with Halo 2. The HBAO would only affect the terrain and the effect would bleed through the gun. Do you have this problem? (Should be especially noticeable through something like the rocket launcher)

Oh, and custom resolutions have been possible for a long time through some runtime hacks, thats how I get ultrawide-screen. AF and AA can be added through your drivers.

I have NEVER been able to get the game to work on custom resolutions on my Nvidia card for some reason, this is the first time custom resolution has worked. Also yes the AO interacts with the weapons and environment.

Off:
jbctcnebA6mzht.bmp

On:
jCB8YjoYd2Re7.bmp

Right now I am working of fixing it turning off when you get to close to it.

So, real talk. You guys are fine with a Campaign weapon sandbox that's way, way more expansive than the multiplayer one, right?

I was thinking of building up three sandboxes:

Campaign / Custom Games
Social Sandbox (20 Weapons)
Ranked Sandbox (12 Weapons)

Social would use the general "Halysis" sandbox with the Gravity Gauntlet and everything you guys have heard of.

Computron

Oh wow XD

No doesn't seem to work, but that may be because of the same issue as it disappearing as I get too close?

Unlikely. It probably has more to do with the depth buffer that your profile accesses to generate the AO not including the weapon. That would explain why you can see the environment's AO multiplied through/on-top of your weapon. (That's what I was talking about when I mentioned how many games will set up multiple cameras/depth-buffers/scenes in order to composite their weapons into the main camera. In this way, many games avoid precision errors and having your gun clip through the environment as you brush up against a wall.) You might be able to fix it if you make the AO profile address a different buffer, but IDK what the address would be.

Tawpgun

Until they shut off most of them and throw everyone into the pits of rented servers again.

I gots no probs finding the official servers. This issue is blown out of proportion.

Not only are the custom servers just fine most of the time, but the official servers are still plenty up.

FyreWulff

Fyre pls

Server browsers exist for a reason.

So I can browse through an endless list of a bajillion ticket servers instead of being matchmade into one?

same diff

Even Section 8 Prejudice, from a smaller dev, didn't pull that crap. Still plenty of official, sane dedicated servers for that game on all platforms.

wwm0nkey

Unlikely. It probably has more to do with the depth buffer that your profile accesses to generate the AO not including the weapon. That would explain why you can see the environment's AO multiplied through/on-top of your weapon. (That's what I was talking about when I mentioned how many games will set up multiple cameras/depth-buffers/scenes in order to composite their weapons into the main camera. In this way, many games avoid precision errors and having your gun clip through the environment as you brush up against a wall.) You might be able to fix it if you make the AO profile address a different buffer, but IDK what the address would be.

Actually I got AO to work on the Gun+Environment now, just have to address the new flicker issue I am getting.

EDIT: Only appears inside the SMG?

So I can browse through an endless list of a bajillion ticket servers instead of being matchmade into one?

same diff

Using the search function has never failed me. As for quick match, people should have learned very quickly that it's horrible.

Even Section 8 Prejudice, from a smaller dev, didn't pull that crap. Still plenty of official, sane dedicated servers for that game on all platforms.

Filled with bots with maybe 1-2 other people.

lol

Fracas

#fuckonami
BF3 server structure is mostly fine. Only thing it really needs is a filter that only shows EA servers only, plus the ability to filter quickmatch so it matchmakes you into official EA servers only.

A score+tickets remaining indicator in the server browser would be nice, too.

Computron

Actually I got AO to work on the Gun+Environment now, just have to address the new flicker issue I am getting.

EDIT: Only appears inside the SMG?

Cool, post some video after you get it all working nicely. Can you tweak the AO parameters? Make it stronger, have more samples or wider sampling radius?

Onikaan

I'm at my wits end with this game, all over again. I just re-bought it in hope Castle would be redeeming and that I was only burnt out on it. No.

Help.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Come in here after a long work imposed absence and see no Halo talk. So I guess Halo still isn't good yet? I just switched to days for a month so I've finally got some time to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom