• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghazi

Speaking of custom edition, do people still play halo ce online?
Lots or at least still a fair amount for such an old game. I still see lots of servers, download the demo for it and play MP in that. The only map you can and really need to play is Blood Gulch in it.

Since when do they make MP maps?

HEY OH!

Well, they can pass it off to CA if they must.

Halo4_SpartanOps_ConceptArt_Missions_01.jpg

It's too epic not to be a map.

Speaking of custom edition, do people still play halo ce online?

I still do. There are quite a few people on at any given time. I still get put on Rockets Damnation and Hang 'Em High Snipe servers though, since most of the other ones are full or bad ping.

I tried to play Ice Fields the other day, but my computer nearly crapped itself. Apparently I can't play any of the snow maps :(

DeadNames

Banned
I'll play with you Goat! I just ordered a new laptop and I got a copy of CE!

warning: I will be babby mode bk trash with a keyboard and mouse.

Madness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mozkuBM27EY

Sorry to post this but I wanted to do it while Stinkles is hopefully lurking.

Notice how the music is easily 90% the same that was in Link to the Past? But if you notice it's slightly different at parts, and yet is instantly memorable and brings back nostalgia/memories.

This is why I wanted at least some classic Halo music in Halo 4. Not because I hate Davidge, or only like Marty, but because I wanted the game to tie into the previous Chief games. ODST and Reach had different music and that's fine. I just wish there was something more.

This is the last I'll bring up the music again. Sorry.

blamite

Imagine if Forge Island looked like this:

SO_Apex_2.png

ch-42.png

SO_Apex_4.png

Simply amazing. They really oughta dedicate these resources to more replayable parts of the game like MP and Forge.

This is what happens when 343 makes a button pushing simulator and leaves the mutiplayer maps people are actually going to play more than once to Certain Affinity. T_T

TheOddOne

Apex is godtier. Outclasses campaign spaces and most of the other Spartan Ops locations.

Give me more large scale stuff like Apex, Frankie. Kthkxbye.

Tawpgun

Oh god. Saturday, Sunday and 4 day passes are entirely sold out now. It's getting worse with each year. God damnit.
Is there anywhere in the Seattle Area that's bigger? Perhaps another large arena or convention center can be rented out for a few days. Shuttles will bring people to and from both.

It is a bit ridiculous.

Looks pretty big. Maybe when tech to allow 32 v 32 comes along.

That sort of concept would just be to get the visual theme of the map down.

I'll try and mesh that wide open vista with the other picture I posted a while back. I should be able to do sketch some decent concept art with time.

Fuchsdh

There will be plenty of scalpers out front that would be happy to sell you their extras for quadruple the face value.

If I lived in the area I'd definitely try and buy tix so sometime down the line I could make $200 for doing nothing. It's pretty shitty though, especially when passes go on sale in such a random way.

IHaveIce

Banned
Good Games.

Sorry to bail on you Ice, food time - I might be back on afterwards and ill send a message if I am.

Convo was great, some idiot who doesnt like Halo 3 soured it for a bit though.

No worries, yeah hook me up if you want to :) I will be there.

Maybe there will be also some others later, so we have a team again.

I don't get the Spartan Ops inconsistencies. In Composer, Chief is knocked flat after Cortana crashes the Lich. But in Home Field in Episode 7, your Spartan is standing up with their weapon readied after a Phantom crash. The 2 or 3 times that happened in Reach, you were always on the ground beforehand.

The same thing happens with Pelican rides. No where have I seen the Spartans actually riding in the Pelican that drops them off. It's no wonder there's a disconnect.

Where's the magic? :(

BR was overblown by people in Halo 3. It was fine,in Halo 2 it was cheaper.

Get 9 shotted, scrub.

Thats embarrassing. They really do that?
$400 on ebay already etc. Crazy stuff.

I may have an extra Friday, Saturday, Sunday. And by may, I mean it's likely.
Awwwwwwww shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Just to let you know, you'll most likely be meeting and hanging out with the drunk me.
The future is a scary thing.

[Trying to think about flights and rooms and it's all a little scary. And very expensive. OH WELL]

Fuchsdh

I don't get the Spartan Ops inconsistencies. In Composer, Chief is knocked flat after Cortana crashes the Lich. But in Home Field in Episode 7, your Spartan is standing up with their weapon readied after a Phantom crash. The 2 or 3 times that happened in Reach, you were always on the ground beforehand.

The same thing happens with Pelican rides. No where have I seen the Spartans actually riding in the Pelican that drops them off. It's no wonder there's a disconnect.

Where's the magic? :(

Get 9 shotted, scrub.

I've been working on a spatial/temporal continuity comparison of the Halo games, but yeah just appearing by Pelicans is kind of annoying and breaks the flow.

On an unrelated note, is there a way to tell what levels enemies are in Skyrim? I'm kind of getting tired of getting quests that lead me to a bunch of enemies that fireball me in seconds or club me to death in one hit.

bryanee

I've been having issues getting races to work on Halo 4 because I'm a tit. Anyway I've got the official race tracks variant but I'm not finding great tracks, none seem to have any checkpoints either.

Can any of you recommend some good fun, crazy maps for use with the official race track variant or recommend another race variant worth having that has good tracks? Thanks in advance.

I've been having issues getting races to work on Halo 4 because I'm a tit. Anyway I've got the official race tracks variant but I'm not finding great tracks, none seem to have any checkpoints either.

Can any of you recommend some good fun, crazy maps for use with the official race track variant? Thanks in advance.

there is no official race tracks variant, not sure what you're using.

I've been working on a spatial/temporal continuity comparison of the Halo games, but yeah just appearing by Pelicans is kind of annoying and breaks the flow.

Ultimately, it's not that big of a deal, but they're definitely losing a chance to immerse the player in the experience.

Remember landing in the heat of battle on The Covenant and Silent Cartographer? Those really set up the mood for the levels and it connected players with the cutscenes and story beforehand. You knew where you were going and how you got there.

Then there's Reclaimer, where your screen fades in and you see the Pelican leaving. Magic = gone. I also didn't like how chief was standing up after the Pelican crash on Outskirts, but we did see the others evacuating the wreckage at least.

It's the little things, man. It's no big deal when it's not there, but when you see it done, you can't help but miss it when it's gone.

Maybe I'm just grabbing straws at this point though...

HTupolev

Imagine if Forge Island looked like this:

Simply amazing. They really oughta dedicate these resources to more replayable parts of the game like MP and Forge.

Apex is great. Big, clean environment that plays well.

Also: The better colour contrast and reduced haze combined with the less dense detail makes Apex have less of a "hey look I'm graphically impressive" vibe that the rest of Halo 4, but it's also why I think it looks far better. It's pleasant and interesting to look at, and has strong geometric aesthetics. Going for some actual colour schemes (beyond "one colour plus orange highlights) can easily make a game look less polished, but I'll take that hit if it means non-hazy non-piss-filtered environments.

Striker

Keep loadouts but place plasma pistols, boltshots and stickies on the map instead of being options, remove the DMR/ secondary function of light rifle, add in assault and one flag, remove Infinity anything and bam.

I just fixed BTB.
Remove the Mantis why you're at it. Not that any of it matters. They like putting flags outside the bases on some dirt rather than use the actual bases (on maps that have them!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom