• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apex is great. Big, clean environment that plays well.

Also: The better colour contrast and reduced haze combined with the less dense detail makes Apex have less of a "hey look I'm graphically impressive" vibe that the rest of Halo 4, but it's also why I think it looks far better. It's pleasant and interesting to look at, and has strong geometric aesthetics. Going for some actual colour schemes (beyond "one colour plus orange highlights) can easily make a game look less polished, but I'll take that hit if it means non-hazy non-piss-filtered environments.

You hit the nail on the head. It's superior to literally the rest of the game, and the contrast definitely plays a part in it. It just feels uniquely Halo.

It's HUGE too. I got lost in it earlier. I'd pay for it if they adopted it into a good BTB map. It looks amazing and it will play great for vehicles and infantry if done right. Though it needs less predefined paths and more open spaces.

Remove the Mantis why you're at it. Not that any of it matters. They like putting flags outside the bases on some dirt rather than use the actual bases (on maps that have them!).

The flag thing is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it'd be better for defense (and make more sense) if it's inside the base. On the other hand, imagine having to go through boltshot+camo campers to pull a flag, and then have them spawn right on you. Putting the flag out in front keeps the bases themselves as spawning areas.

The way I see it, the best symmetric maps tend to use the following formula:

-Red Spawn
--Red Objective
---Red Lobby
----Neutral Middle
---Blue Lobby
--Blue Objective
-Blue Spawn

IMO, it's better to put the objective in front of the spawns - not necessarily right in front of a base, but just ahead of where players will be respawning. This way, the enemy team doesn't need to cross into your spawning area, which lowers spawning issues. Maps with Objective and Spawns being the same usually encounter heavy spawn killing. Spawn Traps are essential (death to dynamic spawns), but being unable to move isn't fun for anyone.

Of course, this becomes more clear with well-built maps. A map with poor spawning areas will need to accommodate by relocating the objective, whereas a map with good spawning areas can afford to have the flag in the base.

Wear a Gravity Gauntlet costume, that way you're one giant fist.

C7wMd1O.png

Its called RACETRACKS. Maybe I read it wrong but I thought it said official. What are the best race gametypes to download then?

Yup just check I read it wrong, like I said I'm a tit.

That's what I used, it's the best you'll get in H4 sadly.

edit: does anyone know what team won the blops 2 tourney?

Fuchsdh

Ultimately, it's not that big of a deal, but they're definitely losing a chance to immerse the player in the experience.

Remember landing in the heat of battle on The Covenant and Silent Cartographer? Those really set up the mood for the levels and it connected players with the cutscenes and story beforehand. You knew where you were going and how you got there.

Then there's Reclaimer, where your screen fades in and you see the Pelican leaving. Magic = gone. I also didn't like how chief was standing up after the Pelican crash on Outskirts, but we did see the others evacuating the wreckage at least.

It's the little things, man. It's no big deal when it's not there, but when you see it done, you can't help but miss it when it's gone.

Maybe I'm just grabbing straws at this point though...

I don't think you are. The more I've thought about it, the more I realized it was little things that were taking me out of the campaign. You can love or hate the campaign (I think it's got heights Bungie's campaigns never reached, as well as some really unfortunate lows) but there are some small things that could really just have improved the experience through marginal tweaks.

Myself and 3 other friends go to PAX each year. Last year they sold out fast and the store was wonky. This year, they sold out even faster. Sad days, was not fast enough.

I don't think you are. The more I've thought about it, the more I realized it was little things that were taking me out of the campaign. You can love or hate the campaign (I think it's got heights Bungie's campaigns never reached, as well as some really unfortunate lows) but there are some small things that could really just have improved the experience through marginal tweaks.

I love the highs (which you're right in saying Bungie's games never reached) and I was very disappointed in the lows. When I would play it and watch it, I kept saying to myself "Man, did they really just do that? They've got balls". But then later down the road, it'd change to "Man, did they really just do that? They've gotta be kidding". It's that inconsistency that is present throughout, and it's why I feel like it's struggling to find its identity.

Myself and 3 other friends go to PAX each year. Last year they sold out fast and the store was wonky. This year, they sold out even faster. Sad days, was not fast enough.

Last year was probably my only chance I had to go, but my job wouldn't let me take the time off. At this rate I'll probably never be able to go.

This is what happens when 343 makes a button pushing simulator and leaves the mutiplayer maps people are actually going to play more than once to Certain Affinity. T_T

Suddenly the ex-Bungie guy who founded CA and was the multiplayer designer on Halo2 is shit? Good to know.

Youd think that if anyone knew how to make good Halo MP maps, it would be his company.

Madness

Will Destiny be at PAX?

Also I'm still on, I think I will play some games

I don't think it will be. If you read the mail sack, one of their answers to questions about more info was see you at E3.

I'd venture a guess and say while there will be Bungie guys there and a presence we won't get new gameplay or details until E3 probably. I have a feeling they'll show off new footage of it running on the nextbox and finally with all consoles and versions out in the open they'll start the nitty gritty details of just what we can expect with the this gen/next gen game.

On a related note, I can't believe I live so close to where PAX will happen and couldn't get tickets.

IHaveIce

Banned
Suddenly the ex-Bungie guy who founded CA and was the multiplayer designer on Halo2 is shit? Good to know.

Youd think that if anyone knew how to make good Halo MP maps, it would be his company.

Yeah that suddenly since they make only crap maps?

Reachs CA maps were already bad, and now they got even more in Halo 4.

Also thanks guys, man now I'm really jelous of the peeps at PAX, I want also to see Destiny

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

To be honest, I haven't seen a single map come from CA that was good.

Even their remakes in Halo 2 were problematic.

Madness

Max Hoberman was an engine designer for Halo 2 and did some work on Halo 3 leaving before it even released. I don't think he was a lead level designer or map designer.

And even then, that game came out nearly 9 years ago, and he's now the president/founder of the company. I doubt very much he's hands-on at CA and probably just oversees development.

And to be honest, CA maps really weren't that well designed.

I don't think it will be. If you read the mail sack, one of their answers to questions about more info was see you at E3.

I'd venture a guess and say while there will be Bungie guys there and a presence we won't get new gameplay or details until E3 probably. I have a feeling they'll show off new footage of it running on the nextbox and finally with all consoles and versions out in the open they'll start the nitty gritty details of just what we can expect with the this gen/next gen game.

On a related note, I can't believe I live so close to where PAX will happen and couldn't get tickets.

E3 is on in June. PAX Prime is the end of August.

GrizzNKev

Banned

PAX Prime takes place months after E3.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
In 2010, the first year I went to PAX, tickets lasted over a week. In 2012 they lasted around two days, this year? (I'm not going) a few hours.

Insane.

darthbob

In 2010, the first year I went to PAX, tickets lasted over a week. In 2012 they lasted around two days, this year? (I'm not going) a few hours.

Insane.

When I first went in 2008, 3 day passes were like, $50 and they had planned on selling them still at the door, it wasn't until like, the 3rd week of August that they changed it to online only.

I hate what PAX has become now.

Madness

Damn, Nintendo doesn't play around. They just announced New Super Luigi U, which is DLC for the Mario Wii U game, but it's like 82 new levels as Luigi and his abilities.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
When I first went in 2008, 3 day passes were like, $50 and they had planned on selling them still at the door, it wasn't until like, the 3rd week of August that they changed it to online only.

I hate what PAX has become now.

I don't hate it at all, but it sucks how fast passes go. They need to expand again. Not sure how though.

EDIT: I'll be on Halo in 20 or so.

darthbob

I don't hate it at all, but it sucks how fast passes go. They need to expand again. Not sure how though.

I'm just being old and bitter. I love PAX, at least so far as the concept.

If I have to direct my anger at anyone, it'd be scalpers I guess. Here's hoping they do a good job at combatting fake tickets this year.

Don't want to get the Fire Marshall all riled up this year, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom