• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The detonator is a good weapon and of all things there are to complain about Halo 4, that's not one. The Grenade Launcher was better, have both for Halo 5.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
little known fact the gl actually had a proximity display that would tell you when someone was in the radius of your grenade

The grenade launcher already had a sensor on it, but it wasn't as pronounced.

Out BR'd

Huh, you learn something every day. I'm with OddOne though, I enjoy the Detonator. I also love the Launcher. I'm conflicted on the best solution. It was awesome to hit someone square in the face with a grenade from the Launcher though. That weapon felt good.

Grenade Launcher is fine wine to sticky det's can of special brew.

The GL just might be the finest weapon added to the sandbox since CE's initial set.

Nebula

CRIvQVF.png

Includes obligatory red outline of course.

Tawpgun

The Detonator was a legit awesome addition. Heck, all the added UNSC weapons are awesome.

Heathen. The grenade launcher was a an amazingly fun weapon to use. Had some nuance to it. Felt great. The sticky det is meh. Poor replacement imo.

Railgun however is an awesome addition.

Heathen. The grenade launcher was a an amazingly fun weapon to use. Had some nuance to it. Felt great. The sticky det is meh. Poor replacement imo.

Railgun however is an awesome addition.

Railgun is great. I played campaign first and I totally shit the bed with the railgun my first time using it in mp. I'm not a fan of weapons behaving differently between campaign and multiplayer.

Let's all agree that GL, Sticky Det, Railgun are all better additions than any of the promethean weapons in MP.

Suppressor doesn't add anything to the sandbox.
LR is boring (we don't need 4 rifles).
Incineration Cannon is just a beefed up RL
BiRi? Only fun in Binary Slayer.
Boltshot-- The boltshot is actually a good idea in practice, but letting people spawn with them is terrible.

Overdoziz

Banned
Not sure about this, is the Detonator really all that much easier to use? The Launcher was pretty damn easy to kill with. Both are easy weapons to learn, you just have less options with the Detonator.
The blast radius is easily twice as big, it doesn't bounce making it easier to place, there's only one firing mode as opposed to the GL's two and the motion sensor on it clearly shows you if someone is on or near the grenade making it much easier to know when to detonate it.
The difference between the Grenade Launcher and the Sticky Detonator is all that is wrong with Halo 4.

Shadders

I like both, they're both unique and fun to use. I wish Halo had more of that, the scrapped Promethean weapons sound like they could have been really fun, but instead we got reskinned versions of existing weapons.

Oh and the Boltshot.

Grenade Launcher is fine wine to sticky det's can of special brew.

The GL just might be the finest weapon added to the sandbox since CE's initial set.
Yep. The only weapon that 343 has introduced so far that's worthy of praise is the Railgun, and just about everything else is creamy orange dogshit or not worth mentioning.

I feel that 343 missed a golden opportunity to make the pistol far more interesting and viable by adding the sticky det feature as a secondary fire (which is what several people speculated from the original teaser trailer), which could only be called down by their highly-touted Personal Ordnance System (I'll refrain from using the obvious acronym). Alas

TCKaos

Here's a compromise. Bring back the Grenade Launcher for the UNSC because it's awesome. Make the Rail Gun a Covenant themed weapon that fires a giant cluster of Needles that detonate on impact. Multiple detonations can be achieved by over-charging the weapon, but it consumes more ammo that way and can fire prematurely. The sticky detonator gets brought back as a Forerunner weapon. Fire a thing that looks like a pulse grenade that sticks to walls.

Alternatively, the sticky detonator could be brought back as a Spike grenade launcher that has a similar theme to the Brute Shot and the Railgun could be a hardlight launcher or somethin'.

Here's a compromise. Bring back the Grenade Launcher for the UNSC because it's awesome. Make the Rail Gun a Covenant themed weapon that fires a giant cluster of Needles that detonate on impact. Multiple detonations can be achieved by over-charging the weapon, but it consumes more ammo that way and can fire prematurely. The sticky detonator gets brought back as a Forerunner weapon. Fire a thing that looks like a pulse grenade that sticks to walls.

Alternatively, the sticky detonator could be brought back as a Spike grenade launcher that has a similar theme to the Brute Shot and the Railgun could be a hardlight launcher or somethin'.

Wahrer?

So I'm flying the Banshee on Daybreak and I do a barrel roll to dodge an EMP.

Instead, I end up splattering and betraying 2 teammates who were jumping in the air. They then proceed to try and kill my Banshee for the rest of the match, lol

Shut up Wahrer.

EDIT: FUCK MY INTERNETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Let's all agree that GL, Sticky Det, Railgun are all better additions than any of the promethean weapons in MP.

Suppressor doesn't add anything to the sandbox.
LR is boring (we don't need 4 rifles).
Incineration Cannon is just a beefed up RL
BiRi? Only fun in Binary Slayer.
Boltshot-- The boltshot is actually a good idea in practice, but letting people spawn with them is terrible.

The Promethean weapons had to be relatable to current weapons or else it would have required a bit of learning to play Halo 4 and sales would have decreased by the thousands!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The blast radius is easily twice as big, it doesn't bounce making it easier to place, there's only one firing mode as opposed to the GL's two and the motion sensor on it clearly shows you if someone is on or near the grenade making it much easier to know when to detonate it.
The difference between the Grenade Launcher and the Sticky Detonator is all that is wrong with Halo 4.

Apparently the Launcher also has a proximity detector. Also the Detonator doesn't have a "quick fire/kill" mode like the launcher, you can't just blast it at someone's face and get an easy kill, it takes time to put in place.

I'd say they are both easy.

Nebula

Apparently the Launcher also has a proximity detector. Also the Detonator doesn't have a "quick fire/kill" mode like the launcher, you can't just blast it at someone's face and get an easy kill, it takes time to put in place.

I'd say they are both easy.

GL requires timing and accuracy. SD requires a lot less of both thanks to the sticky property and explosive radius.

The best part about a 4 shot BR (if it happens) is that we can get 3 kills per clip again.

Reduce DMR aim assist please.
Reduce all aim assist please.

Gonna be pulling host all day everyday in Halo.

I wouldn't count that chicken so soon. Speed has little to do with host, especially if you use the same xbox as before Google.

Darn it. :(

I hope Durango doesn't cap Internet Speeds like The Xbox 360 does.

Also, don't forget that Halo uses the Host Record (or whatever it's called) so your past internet stuff is remembered, even if you have a different ISP or whatever. This is all stored on the box itself.

Onikaan

Is there anyway to enjoy Halo 4's Multiplayer? Apart from not playing it.

Should I start to master the art of Camo? Or perhaps not use my guns at all and become a beatdown master.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Should I start to master the art of Camo? Or perhaps not use my guns at all and become a beatdown master.

It's not complicated, just find a loadout set that works for you and play. I've been enjoying the BR lately. Playing in a big group of people you (kind of) know is much more fun too.

Depends on how good you are at Halo. Throwdown's great if you're god tier. All I ever do is get squashed in there...

Me and mine tend to stick to CTF, Doubles, and any other playlist that lets us vote down Infinity gametypes.

Is there anyway to enjoy Halo 4's Multiplayer?

Don't play Infinity.

It's not complicated, just find a loadout set that works for you and play. I've been enjoying the BR lately. Playing in a big group of people you (kind of) know is much more fun too.

Yea playing with a good group makes it more enjoyable too. I'm also trying out the BR in MP now and I like it a lot. Feels more comfortable than the DMR.

Duji

Their intention was shorter kill times for the other precision rifles.

ROF x STK = Kill Time

You don't reduce KT by increasing one proportionally to how yu decrease the other. Come on like. If 343 are stupid they'll deviate from wanting lower kill times.
Actually it's ROF * (STK-1). Think about it.

The GL >>> SD.

GL cons: are there any?
GL pros: can shoot around corners, two firing modes, smaller blast radius

SD cons: gigantic radius, can't kill around corners effectively like GL, not as skillful
SD pros: lol

Onikaan

Goosing.

If you can handle the plasma pistol spam

What is this new devilry?

Depends on how good you are at Halo. Throwdown's great if you're god tier. All I ever do is get squashed in there...

Me and mine tend to stick to CTF, Doubles, and any other playlist that lets us vote down Infinity gametypes.

7600 Kills to 4900 Deaths. No idea what that qualifies as these days. Average? Throwdown isn't something I like too much because of the lack of radar. CTF is great if you have a good team...

Playing with friends increases the enjoyability of this game 10 fold. They just ain't around all the time and I suffer when I get stuck halfway through a match with team mates walking backwards and looking at the sky.

Don't play Infinity.

I try not to. I can't settle into any playlist to be honest.

Grenade Launcher vs Sticky Detonator

Go

The grenade launcher, I had lots of fun using it in Sword base super effective in close quarters, too bad not all the maps incluyed that wonderful weapon its great to take out campers safely, its reticule its a little confusing at first but when you get used you can even nuke those pesky snipers, its secondary mode I think it was made to be the UNSC plasma pistol because it can be used for draining shields and disable in a more efficient way than the Plasma pistol at long range. too bad you can only kill two enemies at much with a single shoot. Dont forget suicide mode, shoot and instant change your weapon.

Sticky Detonator is way more easy to use than the Grenade Launcher, its ridiculous blast ratio is enough to kill a medium group of enemies sometimes even when they behind a wall, more visible proximity radar,fast to shot and detonate almost instantly so theres is no penalty of using it even you can store the sticky for later detonation but is weak against vehicles unless you are fast enough to stick it to the driver.

I seriously can't wait for Google Fiber! My god. Gonna be pulling host all day everyday in Halo. Gonna be grand.
Are you in Austin? I'll be super stoked when Google Fiber gets here, so my wife can easily watch Netflix in the living room while I yell at a videogame in the gameroom.

You might as well ask if you should start kicking puppies for fun. Sure, you could probably force yourself to enjoy it (you sick, twisted fuck), but that doesn't make it right.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Speaking of said HaloGaf BTB donging groups, I'll be on tonight around 730/8CST again.

Seems that "true skill" finally caught up to us in the end last night. You know, after that 1000-50 win.

Onikaan

You might as well ask if you should start kicking puppies for fun. Sure, you could probably force yourself to enjoy it (you sick, twisted fuck), but that doesn't make it right.

The problem I have is that I won't embrace this new fangled way to play Halo and when I come up against the puppy kickers, I get slapped.

Do you guys worry about your K/D ratio? Is it something you're conscious of whenever you play?

7600 Kills to 4900 Deaths. No idea what that qualifies as these days. Average? Throwdown isn't something I like too much because of the lack of radar. CTF is great if you have a good team...

So, you're about 1.5 K/D. That's safely above average (I'm a lowly 1.35-ish and have been since Reach). Throwdown would probably still be painful for you unless you were running with a good team. Going in solo would not be fun, I wouldn't think.

IHaveIce

Banned
People who vote for Complex.

Fuck off.

and now joined a game where the other team has more than double as much points than we do.

I love it

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
People who vote for Complex.

Fuck off.

and now joined a game where the other team has more than double as much points than we do.

I love it

So, win.

Also, Ex, did you get the audio from the guy last night who accused us all of being in BTB "to pad our K/D?" That was one of the funniest moments I've had on Halo 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom