• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghazi

GGs guys. 49 in BTB. So good, yo.

P2Vio9I.gif
Modded.

Stat padded

Tunavi

Banned
Wouldn't say bad but weird aiming and netcode are preventing me from playing it all the time :(

One thing I will always give credit to Halo 4 is that it got the aiming down very very nicely
well I'm trying to find a BR the entire match and I find one and die cause the hit registrations so bad, then repeat twice until the match is over

Tawpgun

Jesus fuck. Big chase happening around Cambridge. 2 men in a stolen SUV/Pickup. Shots being fired and explosives, seemingly grenades, being dropped.

wwm0nkey

well I'm trying to find a BR the entire match and I find one and die cause the hit registrations so bad, then repeat twice until the match is over

Yeah pretty much my experience with it when I tried it last. Most of my problems though are from the aiming, something is just so weird about it in Halo 3 to me.

Madness

HaloGAF still trying to fix Infinity. HERE IS A GIANT TIP, HOW ABOUT JUST DELETING IT. THERE DONE. MAKE ME CREATIVE DIRECTOR.

It'll work as a fiesta or social type playlist, but as the premiere team and big team Battle playlist, no.

But then, I'm starting to think the loadout system is really what's fucked with this game.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Good games tonight all. I may never hit 50 in BTB, but I get far less frustrated when playing now.

Also holy shit at the new Boston story, grenades being thrown? Guys shot an MIT officer and hijacked a Police SUV? WTF.

Omni

The only problem with BF3 is the massive updates that get posted every three months or so. When you have a 1.8GB TUs, and like 1.6GB map packs, you have to download quite a bit. Some are bigger on PC too... Surely there's a more efficient way to patch the game...

I think I've used 26GB just for the game on console. But $5 is a steal for what it is

Halo 1 2v2's going on right now. Playing with some old schoolers and absolutely LOVING this damn Pistol. No other weapon has been this fun!

Skyping with this dude SoLo who happens to love my Combat Evolved 2 idea B] - Played some Halo 2 FFA earlier tonight too and some Halo 4, so tonight was a good night.

-EDIT-

Having a hard time landing shots feels good.

Also, projectiles > hitscan. Reach bloom feels lethargic, and doing nothing locks down game flow in Halo 4. Nonrandom choices like projectiles are great, as long as the game keeps it responsive (i.e. Halo 3 should have had more visible shot indicators).

Also, that weapon has amazing cadence.

Agreed. The 1v1 battles, callouts, teamwork, individual POWER and self gratification feel AMAZING! If only this game had XBL and had the added features like deathmarks, tighter movement, etc.. :\

HTupolev

absolutely LOVING this damn Pistol. No other weapon has been this fun!
Having a hard time landing shots feels good.

Also, projectiles > hitscan. Reach bloom feels lethargic, and doing nothing locks down game flow in Halo 4. Nonrandom choices like projectiles are great, as long as the game keeps it responsive (i.e. Halo 3 should have had more visible shot indicators).

Also, that weapon has amazing cadence.

It'll work as a fiesta or social type playlist, but as the premiere team and big team Battle playlist, no.

But then, I'm starting to think the loadout system is really what's fucked with this game.

Loadouts, maps and both global/personal ordnance drops are the last "parts to fix" IMO. Speaking realistically of what we can receive with the remainder of Halo 4. I'm all for classic Halo but not at the cost of future innovation or fresh gameplay never being attempted or put into matchmaking by developers.

Being an Australian player I cringe reading anything to do with removing hitscan precision weapons for online play. It's just plain unfair and creates host beast-mode players. Online LAN I'm all for projectiles but not online please. It's bad enough we international players literally have to choose to NOT through grenades and use hitscan firing to simply be able to compete online. Further you can't just party up with a local Aussie friends team for host games, the matchmaking doesn't award us host every time hence hitscan is a must for me and fellow Aussies + internationals.

Play Halo 3 and then Play Halo 4....aiming is like a billion times better in 4 and not because of auto aim.
Yeah, play any Halo game for a while and go back to 3. It's fucked. That and the tiny FOV kill it for me, but the netcode don't bother me; if you can deal with CE PC you can deal with anything.

HTupolev

Being an Australian player I cringe reading anything to do with removing hitscan precision weapons for online play. It's just plain unfair and creates host beast-mode players. Online LAN I'm all for projectiles but not online please. It's bad enough we international players literally have to choose to NOT through grenades and use hitscan firing to simply be able to compete online. Further you can't just party up with a local Aussie friends team for host games, the matchmaking doesn't award us host every time hence hitscan is a must for me and fellow Aussies + internationals.
IIRC grenades and some other major projectiles (which players are expected to be able to visually track) are an iffy case, since they're subjected to much stricter synchronization than other weapons. I'd be willing to bet that perceived "shot through walls" can occur in Reach more easily with PP pips than with their overcharged-shot brethren, and that the pips are a lot more consistant from first-person than the overcharged shots. There really shouldn't be any reason that the tricks used to make hitscan weapons resonably responsive can't be applied to projectiles, especially fairly fast projectiles like those that would be used with utility weapons (and, crucially, which players being shot at wouldn't be expected to be able to visually track).

Halo 3's BR is unresponsive, but that's a mix of projectiles with weird shot spread patterns, all made opaque behind poor visual feedback and netcode which is pretty bad in general.

Yeah, play any Halo game for a while and go back to 3. It's fucked. That and the tiny FOV kill it for me, but the netcode don't bother; if you can deal with CE PC you can deal with anything.
In my area at least, Halo 3's netcode is *reasonably* tolerable as long as games stay 4v4 and below. It doesn't handle the heavy bandwidth loads of 8v8 and such very gracefully, to say the least.

The aiming is funny. Apparantly the aim acceleration curves are very similar between the different Halo games. The thing most closely correlated with perception of aiming quality (i.e. CE/2/4 good, Reach alright, 3 bad) is probably the motion blur implementation, and I wouldn't be surprised one bit if that was a part of the problem.

The FoV... yeah, I have no clue. Halo 3 comes out and has the worst FoV scheme in the series, ODST follows it up in the same engine by matching Halo 1's scheme. It's weird.

Pop

HaloGAF I can't deal with this shit.

Shit is going down. Bombing related. Got an 8 am final. Can't focus or sleep.

This week has been crazy.

I've been listening to the Boston police scanner for the last 2 hours, shits getting real fast.

The aiming is funny. Apparantly the aim acceleration curves are very similar between the different Halo games. The thing most closely correlated with perception of aiming quality (i.e. CE/2/4 good, Reach alright, 3 bad) is probably the motion blur implementation, and I wouldn't be surprised one bit if that was a part of the problem.

The FoV... yeah, I have no clue. Halo 3 comes out and has the worst FoV scheme in the series, ODST follows it up in the same engine by matching Halo 1's scheme. It's weird.
All I know is that it's very hard to finetune my aim in 3, it feels like I'm nudging way too slowly and any attempt to ramp it up results in a quick jerk that offshoots significantly. That, and diagonals always felt odd, like there was a bias towards being straight on the x and y axes; whereas it's much smoother in all the other games.

Nebula

Halo 3's bad netcode combined with projectiles was horrid. BTB suffered massively from it because your game would normally be a mix of Americans and Europeans. I couldn't play Halo 3 now for very long because this problem is only exacerbated by the the puddle of available hosts, compared to the pool it used to be.

All I know is that it's very hard to finetune my aim in 3, it feels like I'm nudging way too slowly and any attempt to ramp it up results in a quick jerk that offshoots significantly. That, and diagonals always felt odd, like there was a bias towards being straight on the x and y axes; whereas it's much smoother in all the other games.

I see Halo 3's aiming likened to the dragging of an anchor. Like it's tethered to your aim, and you're pulling it then it just lifts off and your aim goes flying.

Madness

Haven't played Halo 3 since launch of Reach. Going to have to go back and see if it's really as bad as people are saying. Is it still easy to get a match or no?

Nebula

Haven't played Halo 3 since launch of Reach. Going to have to go back and see if it's really as bad as people are saying. Is it still easy to get a match or no?

It wasn't so bad playing it from time to time, but spending an extended period of time away from the game reveals just how bad it is when you're not used to it. Social Slayer should work pretty well still.

Gui_PT

Hopefully joking. To make up for it, in that same fileshare there is a video of me assassinating a guy who is trying to assassinate my hologram.

Since I am new, anyone want to quickly summarize the last 15 OTs for me real quick and get me up to speed?

Game sucks

There you go.

Madness

HaloGAF I can't deal with this shit.

Shit is going down. Bombing related. Got an 8 am final. Can't focus or sleep.

Stay safe man. I'm hearing one suspect is dead, while the other is still at large. He's armed and dangerous. Be careful.

Turns out they are apparently radical Islamic terrorists from Chechnya, who had been living and studying here.

Only posting this so Boston HaloGAF can be on the lookout.

bingxodceampa5q.jpg

Gui_PT

Stay safe man. I'm hearing one suspect is dead, while the other is still at large. He's armed and dangerous. Be careful.

Turns out they are apparently radical Islamic terrorists from Chechnya, who had been living and studying here.

Only posting this so Boston HaloGAF can be on the lookout.

Just stay inside if you live in the area, that's all you can do.

Nebula

The guy is only 19? Damn. Stay safe people.

Weekends coming up and I was wondering if there will be any games going on tonight. I've missed out on lobbies all week because of how late they were for me and I'd love to catch one.

Madness

Yeah I'm hearing all of Boston is on lock down. Holy shit, can you just imagine? Be safe BostonGAF.

Apparently they are brothers from Russia/Chechnya. People have already found the older brothers youtube page and stuff. Just sickening.

Played Halo 4 for the first time in ages last night with the new CSR's kind of fun as it matches having no rank is moderately amusing as you're put against low skilled players.

It's amazing how some people play, the only time we died was when a group of them managed to run up and once and the combined grenade spam and AI fire eventually wore someone down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom