• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
halogaf-radio.jpg

http://halogaf.com/2013/04/19/episode-13-frank-oconnor-kevin-franklin-andy-bravo-dudynsky/

Please leave feedback and stuff in this thread <3
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=472100&page=4
Woah, that's a lot of potential. Looking forward listening to it!

Windows Phone users, I am actually playing the best game ever created on this plateform.
We need details!

Edit: ExWife, it's a 2D Halo sidescroller thingy.

Aggrotek

Hey guys, which is better?

Tritton Detonator or Turtle Beach X12? I'm assuming the Tritton's but I just want the best entry level headset for under $60. I'm poor. :(

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
My and my buddy voted Doubles Pro on Haven and the other team backed out.
WHYYYYYYYYY?????

You have to get good at the mini game bro. If you're party leader, you don't ever vote until the other team votes. If you don't like the option, you back out. If they've voted and you and your teammate can vote for something before it, then you vote.

willow ve

You have to get good at the mini game bro. If you're party leader, you don't ever vote until the other team votes. If you don't like the option, you back out. If they've voted and you and your teammate can vote for something before it, then you vote.

Yep. You need to play the game before you play the game.

Pretty informative podcast. It helps to peer into their design process and sort of understand how they approach both changes and player feedback. They do a good job of detailing why CSR is how it is, how they approach testing changes and feedback, why they don't just remove or add things (like Sprint), what playlists/gametype changes they may have in store in the future, and so on. However, you could tell they were dodging a lot of questions, and part of that was because you either didn't clarify or didn't push the right buttons. I was working up a summary but my GAF crashed halfway through :/

Sounds like somebody fell asleep halfway through though.

Listening to the podcast, apparently Kevin met some girl at PAX that only plays Flood. Nothing else.

Good for her. I have friends who only played Invasion in Reach and others who wouldn't touch anything other than the MLG playlist. It's good that Halo [still] has that freedom. I'd be running BTB all day were it not for the Infinity Slayer gametype and the lack of objectives.

Don't get host, back out.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
H2A on the Xbox 720 Durango Unchained, or whatever in great god's blessing that console's name is now, with full multiplayer intact.

Halo 3's netcode, equipment, sniper with recoil, slow rockets, horrible BR spread, and maps aren't gonna do it for me.

How can you say a big fat no to Colossus Snipes, Burial Mounds Assault, Beaver Creek CTF, Warlock Slayer, Lockout Oddball...?

Like, seriously, Halo 3 is the worst in the series multiplayer wise and I'm not joking, yes, Reach was better.

Halo 2 had so much auto aim though. I think Bungie set out to noobify Halo 2 but it ended up being somewhat competitive accidentally. Swipe sniping was just silly in Halo 2 and all the weapons had loads of auto aim, even the BR with its hitscan functionality. I thought Halo 1 and 3 were better games in principle but Halo 3 just did a few things wrong such as BR spread, slow movement speed and not as good map design. I didn't find equipment game breaking but it was annoying sometimes.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Just popping in to disagree with the OP's point about Halo's strengths being 4v4. Maybe for you guys, for me I enjoyed casually playing it in the BTB playlist (or Team SWAT playlist) in Halo 2. But 4's major issue is the CoD-ification. If I wanted to play CoD, I'd play CoD.

And since Halo lost it's "voice" I'd just stick with Battlefield for my "BTB"-feeling now a days.

Just popping in to disagree with the OP's point about Halo's strengths being 4v4. Maybe for you guys, for me I enjoyed casually playing it in the BTB playlist (or Team SWAT playlist) in Halo 2. But 4's major issue is the CoD-ification. If I wanted to play CoD, I'd play CoD.

And since Halo lost it's "voice" I'd just stick with Battlefield for my "BTB"-feeling now a days.

You see, im also a big BTB guy since Halo2 and i too, like a lot of people in here, find that they focused waaaaay too much on BTB. Reach had the same problem imo. There arent enough small maps. There weren't enough in Reach and there still isnt enough in Halo4. I used to play tons of customs in Halo3 and me and my friends just gradually stopped, not because we didn't want to anymore, but because most of the maps in Reach in particular suck ass for 3-4 player games. You spend too much time looking for people. I find 4 has the same problem. Halo NEEDS small maps. More than it does the big ones. And this is coming from the BTB guy.

Striker

H4 netcode
H2 sandbox (minus noob combo)
H3 gametypes

H:CE, 2, 3 ALL MAPS

multiplayer only mode
neXtbox launch title
$60
Halo 3's gametypes of CTF that had no difference in return time regardless of map size, Assault that had instant arm and disarm (no strategy needed), heavy doses of Territories and VIP (Territories is ok on asymmetric maps, which Halo 3 lacked in and VIP was terrible), and could not re-make 3 Plots whatsoever so enjoy Land Grab. Also, no contesting for CTF or Assault.

Why pick those over Halo 2's, or better yet, Reach's?

Havok

Hearing that there are currently no plans to remove Infinity CTF from the Flag playlist is a huge bummer. That crap takes up two of the three voting slots most of the time leaving the lone slot with an even halfway decent gametype for the awful maps they have in there like Settler, Abandon, and Complex, or other stuff that just doesn't belong like Skyline. The playlist is a complete chore to play ("Back out of this lobby, back out again, back out again, back out again...okay wait to see if they vote for the one good slot--nope, back out!) if you don't want either crappy settings or crappy maps. Adjusting ordnance weightings is not fixing the problem. That's barely scratching the surface of the problems with that gametype and playlist.
H4 netcode
H2 sandbox (minus noob combo)
H3 gametypes

H:CE, 2, 3 ALL MAPS

multiplayer only mode
neXtbox launch title
$60
I've been beaten to this, but Halo 3's gametype selection kind of stunk. Primarily instant arm assault, a downgrade in CTF settings without flag contesting, changing Territories from 3 Plots style to the round-based style. All it really added was VIP, which was (outside of allowing for the creation of Rocket Race, which Reach did better by reintroducing Race) terrible.

Reach doesn't get credit for much, but it had an excellent gametype suite, even if they never customized them per-map well enough. It fixed a lot of the issues that were introduced into existing gametypes in Halo 3. The only stinker in the core gametype list was Headhunter, but Stockpile was pretty good once 343 moved it to symmetric maps only (though they forgot to make it a DMR start gametype in the process...). There were a bunch of those bad Megalo variants like Hot Potato, but the core experiences were really solid.

Booshka

So how did I do in the interview?

It bothers me that Bravo was willing to give the most serious and informative answers, seeing as how the Franchise director and Lead multiplayer designer are the ones you would assume would have the best info. Makes sense though, they are more seasoned to give canned PR responses and bullshit answers to deflect any actual meaningful discussion.

I think you did pretty well overall Tashi, but as someone who hasn't played Halo 4 since last November, I didn't really get any info that applies to me. I don't really care about what is going on with Halo 4, I would like more of a sense of the future and their mindset for what Halo should be.

Going to be honest and say that I stopped listening after about 70 mins or so, just got bored. I think you should try to figure out what kind of responses you want to get out of your questions, so that when you get the, "what do you mean" answer, you can follow up with an idea or jumping off point to get to what you are really asking. Like with the "what is Classic Halo to you?" question, you didn't really convey what the question meant, and you got two troll responses and didn't follow up with a better version of the question and press for more serious answers.

I respect Bravo for being so forthcoming and knowledgeable, but I didn't learn much about why Halo 4 is the way it is, and what that means for the future of the series. So at this point, I am still completely disinterested.

EDIT: I don't want to come off like a total dick (even though I usually do). I really do applaud you Tashi for setting this up and having enough questions and ideas set up to facilitate well over an hour of discussion. I know it was a lot of work to get it all together, and you did well not to have any lulls in the discussion or dead air. Hopefully more stuff like this can be done in the future, and you will get better and better at it.

heckfu

Banned
I know it was a lot of work to get it all together, and you did well not to have any lulls in the discussion or dead air. Hopefully more stuff like this can be done in the future, and you will get better and better at it.

it's all about having a capable and handsome co-host.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Great podcast ;)

Enjoyed the whole podcast. Very good :)

Thanks guys.

It bothers me that Bravo was willing to give the most serious and informative answers, seeing as how the Franchise director and Lead multiplayer designer are the ones you would assume would have the best info. Makes sense though, they are more seasoned to give canned PR responses and bullshit answers to deflect any actual meaningful discussion.

I think you did pretty well overall Tashi, but as someone who hasn't played Halo 4 since last November, I didn't really get any info that applies to me. I don't really care about what is going on with Halo 4, I would like more of a sense of the future and their mindset for what Halo should be.

Going to be honest and say that I stopped listening after about 70 mins or so, just got bored. I think you should try to figure out what kind of responses you want to get out of your questions, so that when you get the, "what do you mean" answer, you can follow up with an idea or jumping off point to get to what you are really asking. Like with the "what is Classic Halo to you?" question, you didn't really convey what the question meant, and you got two troll responses and didn't follow up with a better version of the question and press for more serious answers.

I respect Bravo for being so forthcoming and knowledgeable, but I didn't learn much about why Halo 4 is the way it is, and what that means for the future of the series. So at this point, I am still completely disinterested.

EDIT: I don't want to come off like a total dick (even though I usually do). I really do applaud you Tashi for setting this up and having enough questions and ideas set up to facilitate well over an hour of discussion. I know it was a lot of work to get it all together, and you did well not to have any lulls in the discussion or dead air. Hopefully more stuff like this can be done in the future, and you will get better and better at it.

Honestly my whole thing going into this podcast as far topics and questions was that there are things about this game that we don't know about and we should know about them. It was really just trying to get some transparency from 343 which I feel has been sorely lacking.

I don't think you're coming off as a dick at all. I appreciate the honest feedback and thank you for the compliments.

That Classic question dodge really caught me off guard to be honest. That was probably the most awkward part in the entire interview for me. However, I'm not necessarily convinced that it's my fault for not getting the real answers out of Kevin and Frankie when maybe it just says something that they decided to answer that question in a joking manner. It's up to the listeners to decide what they thing about that and the entire podcast.

Wow. Just wow. This mission embodies everything Halo and is what the entire game should have been start to finish. Spartan Ops has been mostly mediocre thus far, but I am pleasantly surprised with how awesome this was.

Apex always stood out to me from the very first screenshots of the new Spartan Ops chapters. It felt "uniquely Halo", and that impression solidified itself when I played on it for the first time. From the Scorpion rampage to the well-placed infantry action, all of the missions on Apex have just felt right.

And then I played this one. Again, just wow.

From the very beginning, I knew something was up. I saw the overturned Warthogs, the Spartans, and the downed Pelican. Memories of everything from Halo and Silent Cartographer to Uplift Reserve came to mind. From there, I packed a 'Hog with troops and we sped up the hill. We then met up with a Mongoose packed with a rocket guy on the back. Now this is pretty standard for any Halo, but the fact that these were Spartans sweetened the deal, since they couldn't die. And boy, they really didn't die. We charged up that hill blasting through Ghosts, Fuel Rod Elites and Shade Turrets just enjoying good old fashioned vehicle combat, and they took the brunt of it all without even slowing down. I thought to myself "this couldn't get any better".

And then it did. The mountain spread its legs and I saw this beautiful, wide open expanse of lush hills, along with dozens of Covenant waiting to die. It was a paradise for hoggin' action, and I smiled ear to ear. I was also surprised at how the high-adrenaline music kicked in to compliment it - one of the best usages of the soundtrack I've seen in this game. It set the mood for what would be among the most intense gameplay I've had in Halo since 2001.

My 'Goose team was right behind me as we jumped from hill to hill shooting anything that moved. And yea, I died a few times, but I'd respawn right into the heat of battle with my trusty BR. I'd duck behind cover dodging Ghosts and Elites, and then jump right back in the Warthog to continue my rampage. What set this level apart from every other one in Halo 4 was it was just fun for vehicle play. You weren't bumping into walls every minute, and the terrain wasn't flat.

We took down the shield generators and then we went indoors for some short but intense CQB combat. I went back outside after and saw a Spartan drive a Warthog up to me, as if he were a real player himself. Then I saw it - Phantoms and a Lich flying out over the horizon and above the battlefield. I honestly didn't think it could get any better even then. But we defeated the Covies, and the Lich decided to rest right at the base of a hill. Oh God, I'm flying a motherfucking Warthog onto this thing Halo 3 style.

And I did. I launced that pig right onto the deck and drove through surprised grunts on my way up. We stole that core and then I drove out... the wrong way I might add... but I'm sure it would have been just as epic had I landed back on the ground instead of out of the map.

So I spawned and sprinted to the Ghost, and then had a nice speed run all the way down. I guess the only thing that would have made this part better was a rock chasing me Indiana Jones style, but it was a nice break from the otherwise overly-chaotic version in the Campaign.

I don't know how they did it or why they waited so long to, but 343/CA or whoever managed to make one of the best - experiences I've had in Halo. The best bits about each game - Halo CE's wide open expanses, Halo 2's Ghost battles, Halo 3's epic vehicle combat, and ODST and Reach's allied support - were all wrapped into one nice package in just 25 minutes.

Apex was already good, but this is a [near] perfect 10. Congratulations Halo 4 - I have a reason to keep you in my Xbox. If only I could have captured this in Theater...

Spops would be sweet if they didn't reuse environments so much and if the episodes were actually linked to the story and not just " go here, press this"

but yeah, apex is awesome. awe inspiring skybox (rip standoff), good color palette, and sweet battles.

Spops could be great if they'd do more levels like this, ditch the annoying characters, and find a logical reason for me to return to some place I've been through 5 times already. This is the only level that has thoroughly impressed me, though The Hammer on Lockup was pretty cool, and so was that first one on Warrens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom