• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you serious? One of the best experiences you've ever had in a Halo game? One slightly better than average Spartan Ops mission (which doesn't say much as the average SO mission was bad... and it also still suffers from most of the same problems with SO) and you have a reason to keep the game in your Xbox?

What am I reading?

It was a nice mission, but still far from the best a Halo game could offer, IMO. It was still terribly scripted, those purple flying things are still boring as fuck to destroy (doesn't help that how you board it is totally irrelevant as you have to do the same thing to progress anyway), enemies are literally just thrown above you, Elites with power weapons are still a thing, unlimited lives is still there, and the damage model on vehicles takes the fun out of vehicular combat.

My live conveniently ran out last year after a dry spell with the game. I sold my other copy of the game last week and was thinking about doing this one too, but I decided to at least complete Spartan Ops. I never really liked it and I would have preferred Firefight entirely, but this wasn't just slightly better than average; it was great - compared to the rest of the game at least. My excitement may have hyped that up, but I did thoroughly enjoy it - more than I have anything else in Halo 4, and comparable to the best before it.

That's just my
ever-changing
opinion though, and it doesn't bother me if others see it differently (I'm sure the same can be said of many other "great Halo experiences"). I'm just glad I found something in this game that I can replay more than once, because it's severely lacking in that department.

I think is the biggest map in Spartan Ops right? I remember it had a perfect layout for a possible invasion/dominion gametype.

I was thinking of Invasion the whole time. Fight up the hills to activate the door, then take down the shield generators to summon the Lich, then board it and steal the core. It already had the framework and plenty of room for vehicle and infantry action, so it'd just need general geometry changes for the phases to support MP. I wouldn't play anything else.

First time I played this mission, the Lich refused to come down closer to the ground, so we couldn't land on it. It took the host qutting out to trigger it, but we tried other stuff for half an hour at least. Kinda soured the mission for me. :lol

I avoided playing Firefight over matchmaking in Reach for much the same reason. It's nice in co-op, but there are just too many problems over LIVE, and the strain on the scripting is among the worst. It's too bad the co-op netcode hasn't really improved since Halo 3.

So I decided to change the CSR flair in /r/halo for 4/20 because I thought it would be harmless fun for a day and a nice break. We've done stuff like this before without any problems and received a positive reception from everyone. Though that was when it was significantly smaller. I guess we're getting big enough where we can't really do that anymore because I'm getting backlash from users and other subreddits.

Interesting on how that has changed is all.

TCKaos

I was thinking of Invasion the whole time. Fight up the hills to activate the door, then take down the shield generators to summon the Lich, then board it and steal the core. It already had the framework and plenty of room for vehicle and infantry action, so it'd just need general geometry changes for the phases to support MP. I wouldn't play anything else.

lpNxjNz.gif

We should seriously have an Invasion night, GAF. Go back to Reach to play the best gametype that got the least love.

Is there a public API for Halo 4 Stats (and CSR?). Or are people just using the underground private api?

EDIT: nevermind, got my answer.

Brad Welch (Lead Designer for Infinity at 343i) responded to the challenge debate(I haven't followed the thread and haven't listened to the new HaloGAF Radio yet, so I am not sure to who he is responding):

Ghazi

So I just got around to listening to the new Daft Punk song. I can safely say that it was amazing as Daft Punk usually is.

I have the entire Tron Legacy OST in my iTunes library. They're great.
I've always bought disc copies of their songs, Tron: Legacy was good! Also, Alive 2007/06 was the best thing of all time. edit: I'm forgetting Human After All, that album was great too!

I'd play Reach with you guys tonight but my wrists ache from playing UMvC3 for like 12 hours yesterday.

So I just got around to listening to the new Daft Punk song. I can safely say that it was amazing as Daft Punk usually is.

I like Daft Punk. I first heard their work in Tron Legacy and I really enjoyed it. I have the OST and a few of their other albums and songs. They're great.

Too bad you cant edit Spartan Ops Missions to MM or create your own spartan ops.

Reading those tweets. I get what he's saying about their decisions/approach to add variety into the maps they made for sprint, vehicles, and random global ordnances so that players experiences the full potential of the sandbox.

Interesting.

IHaveIce

Banned
What really struck me was the ability to reduce ROF depending on bloom. How cray would it be if the DMR fired slower when scoped? Bravo even mentioned the cone of accuracy as a possible tweak I believe. I wonder if damage when scoped (akin to the Light Rifle) is another such possibility.

You could nerf the scoped DMR soooo hard with those :lol
That would indeed be really interesting and could lead to so much option to balance the riflesin a different way.

I would be reeeally happy if they would use this more than just adjust damaga parameters of other weapons.
This paragraph is why. Especially the bolded. Come on. Was this you taking their serious answers into consideration? Sure doesn't look like it.

Edit: Don't even give me that shit about having to praise them because I sure as hell never suggested that for a second. I asked you if they couldn't make a joke once in a while. That's a yes or no answer. Nothing about giving them a pat on the back. Them taking the time to do it was more to highlight how long they were there. Worthy of praise wasn't what I was suggesting. Worthy of making a joke more like.

I'm late on this, went to sleep yesterday, it was late in the night, but didn't want to let this stand in the room.

Maybe their serious answers to this question went above my head yeah. Like I said it was late and of course they earned to make a joke, just like I said I'm really awkward and dislike those stuff in Q&As nothing against them, and I did misunaderstand you indeed. :)

Also lol at the neigbour montage and great stuff that Brad answered over twitter.

Reading those tweets. I get what he's saying about their decisions/approach to add variety into the maps they made for sprint, vehicles, and random global ordnances so that players experiences the full potential of the sandbox.

Interesting.

Players experienced the full sandbox in Halo 1 and for the most part Halo 2 before button glitches were discovered.

I respectfully disagree on their approach and reasoning.

SMH. By giving us personal ordnance and Plasma Pistols and Plasma Grenades in our custom loadouts, you actually detracted people from wanting to drive the vehicles, which are also part of the sandbox.

Interesting.

Yep, it could be more interesting if they replaced all the forerunner and covenant weapons of loadouts added more Human weapons variations instead like the ODST arsenal.

Fracas

#fuckonami
SMH. By giving us personal ordnance and Plasma Pistols and Plasma Grenades in our custom loadouts, you actually detracted people from wanting to drive the vehicles, which are also part of the sandbox.

Agreed. I don't know if the nerfing of the vehicles was intentional, but spawning with plasma pistols and grenades is one of the many things that ruin Halo 4 BTB.

Also lower the DMR's aim assist for the love of god

One of the first things I noticed about Halo 4 is how all of the weapons were powerful, which was a nice change.
Unfortunately, they are also extremely easy to use. The competition becomes who can get the powerful weapons first.

A sandbox with too much sand is impossible to play in!

Let this be a visual aid for the design of Halo 5:

zAx4YgJ.jpg

IHaveIce

Banned
Agreed. I don't know if the nerfing of the vehicles was intentional, but spawning with plasma pistols and grenades is one of the many things that ruin Halo 4 BTB.

Also lower the DMR's aim assist for the love of god

This, at least aim assist over distance.

Watching the UMG CoD tournament( at least I want to when it start), let's see how they host tournaments, I mean they want to do a Halo tourney, so let's check them out.

2 CoD girls there look good, I think I will enjoy this

Players experienced the full sandbox in Halo 1 and for the most part Halo 2 before button glitches were discovered.

I respectfully disagree on their approach and reasoning.
This is very true no doubt.
BUT I believe their vision was to speed up the experience/process of obtaining the sandbox to each player.
Thus resulting to what Infinity Slayer IS.
Unfortunately, this inevitably made the experience/gameplay Broken and unbalanced all together.
Now they seek to bridge the gap by making and polishing Legendary Slayer.

Too bad you cant edit Spartan Ops Missions to MM or create your own spartan ops.

That would be interesting. I play quite a few custom missions in Custom Edition, so people already know how to do something like it.

But wait, there's more.

Their new stuff is good and I have Discovery in my library too. I just listen to TRON more because I like soundtrack scores. I was actually listening to this one yesterday

I've always bought disc copies of their songs, Tron: Legacy was good! Also, Alive 2007/06 was the best thing of all time. edit: I'm forgetting Human After All, that album was great too!

I wanted to pick up a hard copy last month but they didn't have the one I wanted :/. They're one of the few artists who I still buy actual albums of.

Can't wait to spawn with Rockets in Halo 5. Experiencing the sandbox and whatnot

"Players weren't really able to get to vehicles in the past, so now you can transform into a warthog whenever you want."

lol

u4iX

You make players pursue the sandbox by giving the weapons placed on the map a significant and powerful role.

Id est, the laser top mid on Valhalla, the rockets on Beaver Creek, or the Active Camo on Chill Out.

Even sub-power weapons like the Plasma Rifle in Halo 1 or the Plasma Pistol in Halo 2 were worth pursuing because of their individual properties.

Halo 1's Plasma Rifle Freeze and Halo 2's Plasma Pistol Tracking.

Putting indicators over where each weapon spawns at the beginning of a match would have been enough incentive for people to go and pick up those weapons. New players to a new map would see the variety of weapons they could potentially choose from and choose their destination off spawn in that way.

Occam's Razor should have indicated that the easiest solution isn't to rework the entire weapon drop system, making a choice of weapons and power ups rain from the sky using a borrowed point streak system.

Rather, they should have just provided players with the necessary information to make a decision with what power weapon or utility weapon they wished to pursue.

I think 343 did the opposite of what they were going for with their philosophies. Halo 4 probably turned off more new players than any other Halo game did before it.

I think 343 did the opposite of what they were going for with their philosophies. Halo 4 probably turned off more new players than any other Halo game did before it.

It doesn't know what it wants to be. It's trying to be Halo and at the same time trying to be Call of Duty. Halo players don't like that and CoD players left to play BOII, so nobody wins in the end.

Mix

I wish 343 would have really taken a step back mid development and asked themselves what and why and really just reassess what they wanted in the next Halo game. I wanted, and I know that it has been said before, a sequel to Halo 3, not Reach. Now that being said, Reach wasn't as bad as people made it out to be (I still miss squad slayer). I wanted to feel like the Chief again. I did not want the chief to know about jetpacks and thrusters and just armor abilities in general. I think equipment could have been fleshed out more.
I don't know. I really do hope that Halo 5 brings it back. Even if it's just a little. I understand sprint is in forever, I understand AA's might not be going anywhere, but I want Halo to feel like Halo.

^Badass LE case though lol

Just throwing out there once again that Armor Abilities feel badass and meaningful as pickups/Ordnance Drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom